Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Joe, I know these requests must keep you busy but you sure are making a lot of folks happy as they learn a little about the history of their Airstreams. Hopefully you will soon add me to the "happy list". Here is what I know.
1984 Sovereign, 27ft, rear bath.
Recent e-mail says our WBCCI # will be 2238 (they have not yet arrived)
We bought it a couple months ago from Marvin and Libby Crane. Current number on the trailer was theirs and is 1305.
Marvin says he bought it from John and Bee Wright. The 7 (that is right, 7) stars on the trailer belonged to John and Bee. Marvin and Libby just never took them off. (see pic) And John may have worked for Airstream. Skye and I are curious as to whether John and Bee were original owners and any caravan info would be great. I did hear they took a few trips to Canada and Alaska but I do not know if that was part of a caravan or just having fun.
The history of these things is soooo fun to find out....Like why is there a great big patch on the side? (see pic) (maybe some things will never be discovered...)
Thank you so much in advance...
Chuck and Skye
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Joe, I wanted to proved an update to my original post (#134). I have removed the PO's numbers and the only other imprints I can see would be #428. I would guess this was the number of Mr and Mrs Wright with their 35+ years of membership. Hope it helps a bit with any research you can do. And if they are the original numbers, is it possible to get those numbers reassigned to us so we can bring them back home?
Hi Chuck and Skye,
One quick one tonight . . . yours. Seven stars is a lot, but not a record. My "inlaws" have been in the club since 1966 - I should put their ninth star (for 45 years!) on their Airstream this year! And even that is not a record. I personally know people that have been in the club even longer.

Regarding the Wrights, you are on the (w)right track, but John and Beatrice Wright were actually assigned #13428 (not simply "428"). #13428 was first assigned in 1965 and it and the Wrights are first listed in the 1966 Directory that lists membership as of 12/31/1965. At that time, the Wrights were listed as living in Mt. Clemens, MI. The Wrights are last listed in the 2005 Directory in Kerrville, TX. They are listed for just one caravan: #234 - Copper Canyon "Piggy Back Train" 1997. It is certainly possible that they still owned your 1984 27' Sovereign in 1997 and took it on that caravan, but I have no records to be able to prove or disprove it.

And regarding the availability of the Wrights number, #13428 is unassigned in the 2011 Directory, so unless someone joined and requested it earlier this year (highly unlikely), you should be able to get it. You would not be able to get #428, had that been the Wrights number, though, because numbers below 1000 are reserved for various club leaders. In this case, that does not matter. A simple call or email to WBCCI HQ is all it takes to change your number if you wish to do so.

Have fun with with your Sovereign and welcome to the club!

WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
No amount of THANKS! can every repay you for all your wonderful research. We've just been assigned 1927 and wonder about the history of this number if you have anything in the old records. Thank you for all you do for all of us.
Hi Greg & Linda,
Keeping consistent with my past practices, I will not research the entire history of WBCCI #1927 since that number is not on an old Airstream you have, but instead is the number recently assigned to you. But I am happy to provide a little background on your number . . .

#1927 was first assigned in 1958. The first directory I have that SHOULD list that number is 1960, but #1927 was already unassgined by then. In my next two Directories, 1966 and 1968, #1927 is assigned to someone with the last name "Bartner" in the numerical listings, but not the alphabetic listings, so they must have been a late renewal those years and I have no further information.

Finally in the 1969 Directory, #1927 has been reassigned to C. Wright McKnight of Milledgeville, GA. C. Wright McKnight is last listed in the 1985 Directory, then in Poughkeepsie, NY with two caravans listed:
  • 78 - Yucatan Winter 1971
  • 87 - Western Canada Summer 1972
#1927 was unassigned in 1986 and I did not check any more recently, but I am sure such a low number has been reassigned one or more times between then and the recent reassignment to you.

#1927 is a "cool" number - enjoy it! And here is a big "Welcome to the club!" Definitely try out some WBCCI events to get maximum enjoyment out of your membership. Caravans are a lot of fun if you have the time to try one out.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #157
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Rosendale , New York
Quick question! How possible would it have been that my 1977 never had numbers at all? And if you don't have numbers are there other way of finding what numbers they might have been?? And if u sign up for the numbers cam you pick your own?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 AM   #158
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklep65 View Post
Quick question! How possible would it have been that my 1977 never had numbers at all? And if you don't have numbers are there other way of finding what numbers they might have been?? And if u sign up for the numbers cam you pick your own?
If your trailer has no numbers, the previous owners were either not members of the WBCCI or if they were, they did not put the numbers on the trailer. With out the numbers to work with, there is very little hope of tracing the history of the trailer.

You can contact the office of the WBCCI to see if the number you want is available and have that number assigned when you join.
http://www.wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageSRC=Contact_Us

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #159
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Rosendale , New York
Ok cool thanks!! Sorry one other question even with original owners name?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #160
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Joe has a good collection of the annual directories. If you PM him that informaton he could see if they were members.

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhutlife View Post
Hi Joe,

New here and been given this thread because I asked if anyone had any knowledge of our new pride and joy.

I see you're really busy, but when you have time if you could have a look for #6481 for us we'd love to hear about the history/owners.

We think our 1962 Tradewind came from New Jersey. We've owned her for a month now here in the south of England. We have no paperwork at all so any information is great for us.

Look forward to hearing if you can trace anything - when time allows.

Many thanks

Sara
Hi Sara,
#6481 was first assigned in 1962, so that is very appropriate for your '62 Tradewind.

Unfortunately the first Directory I have that lists #6481 is 1966, which reflects membership as of 12/31/1965. Thus I cannot tell you who may have owned your Tradewind between 1962 and 1965.

However, I can tell you that in the 1966-71 Directories, #6471 was assigned to Howard and Wilma James of Charlotte, Michigan. The James' are not listed as having participated on any caravans. They may well have been the original assignees in 1962, but I can't prove or disprove it.

#6481 is then unassigned in 1972-75, before being reassigned in 1976-98 to William and Kathleen Hall, of Sheefield, Alabama, no caravans. #6481 is then unassigned in 1999-2003 before being reassigned to someone from New Jersey in 2004-11 (still members, name and city withheld for privacy reasons).

I guess I am not sure if you are stating that your Tradewind came from New Jersey when you bought it or if you think it came from New Jersey earlier in it's life. I can't tell you if the original owner in 1962 lived in New Jersey or not, but I tend to think of the numbers on the Tradewind are very old, they were originally assigned in 1962. I would tend to guess the James' from Michigan were the original assignees, and likely the original owners of your Tradewind, but it is certainly possible that someone else, possibly from New Jersey, bought your Tradewind and joined the WBCCI in 1962, but then did not renew some time between 1963 and 1965, before the number was reassigned to the James.

On the other hand, if the numbers on your Tradewind look much newer, it might be possible that the current members that are assigned #6481 and that currently live in New Jersey may have sold your trailer at some point after they joined the club.

That's the best I can do. Enjoy your "new to you" Airstream!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Hi Greg & Linda,
Keeping consistent with my past practices, I will not research the entire history of WBCCI #1927 since that number is not on an old Airstream you have, but instead is the number recently assigned to you. But I am happy to provide a little background on your number . . .

#1927 was first assigned in 1958. The first directory I have that SHOULD list that number is 1960, but #1927 was already unassgined by then. In my next two Directories, 1966 and 1968, #1927 is assigned to someone with the last name "Bartner" in the numerical listings, but not the alphabetic listings, so they must have been a late renewal those years and I have no further information.

Finally in the 1969 Directory, #1927 has been reassigned to C. Wright McKnight of Milledgeville, GA. C. Wright McKnight is last listed in the 1985 Directory, then in Poughkeepsie, NY with two caravans listed:

[*]78 - Yucatan Winter 1971[*]87 - Western Canada Summer 1972

#1927 was unassigned in 1986 and I did not check any more recently, but I am sure such a low number has been reassigned one or more times between then and the recent reassignment to you.

#1927 is a "cool" number - enjoy it! And here is a big "Welcome to the club!" Definitely try out some WBCCI events to get maximum enjoyment out of your membership. Caravans are a lot of fun if you have the time to try one out.
Thank you, Joe, for giving us some sense of history. We are proud to carry on the traditions. Hope to spot many more members out there. This trip (since Easter day) has resulted in three sightings. We are entering them in to our log.
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #163
Peg

1974 31' Excella 500
Broadview , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
If your trailer has no numbers, the previous owners were either not members of the WBCCI or if they were, they did not put the numbers on the trailer. With out the numbers to work with, there is very little hope of tracing the history of the trailer.

You can contact the office of the WBCCI to see if the number you want is available and have that number assigned when you join.
http://www.wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageSRC=Contact_Us
I have to say Mr. David Greenberg's method (all volunteer) with GMCnet has the correct way of registering. The Airstream SN should be the way to register.
It always stays with the unit.
This would be a (adjective) task to take on with Airstreams at this point in time. Should have been the way to register from inception.
People whom own is important to some...the actual history of the machine is more important to many others.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #164

Hello all,new to thee board.i have a 1960 overlander i saw thee imprint of thee old numbers (#7793) and also thee caravan sticker,just curious if you could find any info on this for me. i do know that there's a piece of sticker left & it looks to say philadephia on it!i also know that it spent some of it's life in new jersey, but other than that not a clue,any help is welcomed, thanks again in advance!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #165
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Rosendale , New York
This is the card I found in my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2752354046.png
Views:	65
Size:	1,023.5 KB
ID:	128972  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #166
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Depew , New York
Hello:
My husband's grandparents, Frank and Barbara Thompson were WBCCI members for many years, I am pretty sure they were #1045. We have their old Bambi and are working to fix it up. They had (possibly several) a bigger trailer that they traveled in and we are interested in knowing if they ever did any of the big rallies or caravans.
Thanks! Anne Anderson
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaAIR View Post
New to the world of aluminum but have secretly battled the addiction for 8+ years! Picked up my first Airstream about 3+ weeks ago and was directed to your postings as it was mentioned you could provide some history on it.

I have a 1958 Flying Cloud and the original WBCCI number on the trailer is 4821. It is apparent that the trailer traveled a bit as it has an original rally sticker in the front window (going to try to preserve it during the restoration). The Wally Caravan badges have faded but can be seen beneath the WBCCI numbers. Top of the trailer was painted but when removing the paint the numbers are red as expected. Thank you so much for all your invaluable time!

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
#4821 was first assigned in 1961. The first Directory I have that lists #4821 is 1966. In that Directory, #4821 is assigned to Frank and Genevieve Varnum of Polson, Montana. Most interestingly, they are credited with participating on Caravan 31 - Western Mexico Fall 1962, aligning with the sticker you found on your Flying Cloud and almost assuredly meaning the Varnums were the original assignees for #4821 in 1961. Genevieve is still listed in the 1973 Directory, but not the 1975 Directory (I have no 1974 Directory). Fred is last listed in the 1979 Directory, still in Polson, MT and he is then also credited with a second caravan, 102 - Mexico Guatemala Winter 1975, which he must have participated on without Genevieve. Of course, I cannot prove that Fred still had your '58 Flying Cloud in 1975, but he might have still had it.

#4821 is then unassigned from 1980-86, before being reassigned to Mark Carpenter of Pensacola, FL in 1987-91, no caravans. #4821 is then unassigned in 1992-93, before being reassigned to Ken and Marni Brooks of Prudenville, MI in 1994-96, no caravans. #48231 is then unassigned in 1997-2001, before being reassigned more recently to couples from Oregon and Georgia.

Given that the Varnums were from Montana and you are from Montana, I'd say the Varnums owned your Flying Cloud and the other couples that were later assigned #4821 did not own it.

It's great that your Airstream has documented Mexico caravan history! Enjoy it!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 05-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is the card I found in my trailer.
Hi Jklep65,
As others have stated, it is certainly possible that the previous owner(s) of your 1977 Overlander never joined WBCCI. I checked for a Hugh Brooks from State College, PA as shown on the Owners Card you got with your Airstream. I don't have a 1977 Directory, but there is no Hugh Brooks listed in the 1978-85 Directories. I decided to stop looking after that figuring that if he did not join the club in the first 8 years he potentially owned your Overland, he likely never joined it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Enjoy your Airstream!

WBCCI/VAC #6768

Tags
wbcci, wbcci number