Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Actually Rick I ran for International Office from the floor in Perry. I believe for the most part that what gets through the nominating committee is more of the same. We've got 30 years of more of the same -- time for something new.

I'll be running for International Office again in Bozeman only this time (there are THREE of us right now -- reaching for FIVE) we'll be notifying units in January that they have a choice.

We'll give each unit resumes and position papers outlining each of our different visions. We're not representing a unison party or anything -- certainly not marching in lock-step -- there are differences between us but the goal first and foremost is to shape our IBT into a governing body that looks more like the membership. Vintage owners, classic owners, life members, but primarily travel trailer owners. 87% of this club is travel trailer owners yet our Executive Committee is overwhelmingly MoHo owners. That's the root cause of the trouble this club has experienced since the IBT class of '03.

Is a Region Officer limited to President, 1st VP, 2nd VP? I don't think so. At a minimum you have two other Region Officers, a Treasurer and Secretary.

"The President may also appoint others to the region staff for the management and welfare of the region." Are those other Region Office holders not Officers? You have many other Region Officers that can help fulfill that visitation requirement. In a large region there should be a concious attempt at placing or appointing officers from all over the region to help fulfill that goal.

I know most visits are unit installations which are usually done during luncheons or dinners. No need to haul that Twinkie. Besides, when scaling back there's no reason that requirement can't be made to alternating year visits, don't you think?

I mean we have to fix this situation don't we? Or do we just plod along with that good 'ol boyz 4% annual decline number?

Region 2 has 18 units but region three has 22 -- I'm sure they manage.

I don't think you're just another red coat -- you don't own a red coat do you?

I haven't seen anyone else declare their candidacy for R1 2nd VP. If you have somebody else send 'em on over. Giving members a choice is what this is all about isn't it? We're looking for differentiators between old and new and especially between TWO or more candidates seeking the same office.

Heck, if you get through all of those questions and we can get any other candidate to do the same we'll make up a two column check-box summary. I'm sure the 300+ members of R1 would just love to have that to help make their decision. We could start a whole new WBCCI trend, don't you think? Hey -- will there be a paper ballot or will you have to attend your unit's business meeting to make that vote?

I still stand by my analysis so far -- I don't see any new processes, procedures, changes, or improvements based on your statements. As a future member of Region 1 (after the merger) I'm looking forward to the rest of your answers if you'd be so kind...

__
I can honestly say I have not read the "rules and regulations" as they are, however, I like and support your train of thought on these issues and the changes that can be made for the future of the club.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #22
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
I can honestly say I have not read the "rules and regulations" as they are, however, I like and support your train of thought on these issues and the changes that can be made for the future of the club.
I do too Eddy.

A couple of other questions (directed to no one in particular) are running around in my brain and I'd like to get rid of them if I may.

Who else is running for R1,2VP? Have they already been "anointed" (as previously characterized) by a Nominating Committee? Who is on this Committee?

Region Officer Visitation Requirement: What purpose does this serve and do we really need it? Why? Isn't it really just a ceremonial requirement? What are the actual expenses/overhead of our Region? Wouldn't our Region Officers be more effective without such an encumberance? Can they not communicate effectively with their Units using other means?

I think I'll stop there for now.

Thank you all in advance for any consideration you may give to my questions and for your thoughtful answers.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #23
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Just to clear tings up a little while I am finishing up lunch, Dan Dureiko #29072, Cape Cod Unit President is the candidate endorsed by the nominating committee for Region 1 and so presented at the R1 Fall Business meeting. My name was presented for nomination to the floor from a member of the sitting board. The ballots have been sent out to all Region 1 Presidents to present to their units at their fall business meetings, with each unit getting one vote. Does the process need to be changed Leo, you bet it does but to what extent and what process, that can not be answered easily here on the forum but must be brought before the IBT for discussion. Right now I am sitting on a Region 1 committee to develope a proposal to IBT for allowing Proxy Voting on the International level. This is just one more step in providing everyone a vote. As you know currently if you do not send a delegate to International you have no vote. This needs changing along with many other items but I feel it is a good start. At least someone is listening to me. As for the dress code as you mentioned in your earlier post; I feel there are many things that need changing to attract more families like mine into the club, but I also believe in remembering our roots, I have no objection at all to the red jackets (not coats) and the flags. I do oppose special privilages and perks for those who do wear the red jackets. If I do win my nomination and proceed up through the ranks I WILL NOT change my WBCCI numbers.

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
I just did a quick scan of Regions 1 and 2. It's pretty big! I was surprised. I'm sure there's bigger of course.

I also imagined if I were grand poobah for a month and wanted to visit some rallys. From my house in CT to Trois Rivieres, QC - 7 hours, 23 minutes, 437 miles. From there to Orillia, ON - 8 hours, 12 minutes, 452 miles. From there to Staunton, VA - 11 hours, 12 minutes, 667 miles. From there to home - 7 hours, 33 minutes, 450 miles.

1 month, 3 rallies, 34 hours & 21 minutes driving time, 2006 miles.

And from Eureka to Chula Vista your looking at 772 miles. 1 State. 1 way!

Ouch!
Long way from Chula Vista to Eureka, but I don't think there are many rallies in Eureka and if there is one there, I am sure that the sponsoring unit has rallies somewhere else to attend.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
...I WILL NOT change my WBCCI numbers.

Rick
Rick,

What does that mean?

As a fairly new WBCCI member (7 months), I'm just trying to learn by reading all these posts.

Thanks,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin
Rick,

What does that mean?

As a fairly new WBCCI member (7 months), I'm just trying to learn by reading all these posts.

Thanks,

Randy

I can answer that for you.To the best of my knowledge,
when one becomes a Region President a lower WBCCI number is usually issued to them.It is usually in the 200-350 range.This is done by a draw of the available numbers in the range.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
I do too Eddy.

A couple of other questions (directed to no one in particular) are running around in my brain and I'd like to get rid of them if I may.

Who else is running for R1,2VP? Have they already been "anointed" (as previously characterized) by a Nominating Committee? Who is on this Committee?

Region Officer Visitation Requirement: What purpose does this serve and do we really need it? Why? Isn't it really just a ceremonial requirement? What are the actual expenses/overhead of our Region? Wouldn't our Region Officers be more effective without such an encumberance? Can they not communicate effectively with their Units using other means?

I think I'll stop there for now.

Thank you all in advance for any consideration you may give to my questions and for your thoughtful answers.
Don, these are great questions and I do hope the answers will be posted here. I would also like to know.

Kristine
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Just to clear tings up a little while I am finishing up lunch, Dan Dureiko #29072, Cape Cod Unit President is the candidate endorsed by the nominating committee for Region 1 and so presented at the R1 Fall Business meeting. My name was presented for nomination to the floor from a member of the sitting board. The ballots have been sent out to all Region 1 Presidents to present to their units at their fall business meetings, with each unit getting one vote.
Rick, this information would be helpful to know before the fall meeting. Am I understanding you correctly that at the September meeting we have a chance to vote (if we are in attendance of course) for these positions and we don't even know who they are or how they stand on issues?

Quote:
Does the process need to be changed Leo, you bet it does but to what extent and what process, that can not be answered easily here on the forum but must be brought before the IBT for discussion. Right now I am sitting on a Region 1 committee to develope a proposal to IBT for allowing Proxy Voting on the International level. This is just one more step in providing everyone a vote. As you know currently if you do not send a delegate to International you have no vote. This needs changing along with many other items but I feel it is a good start.
Rick, this is what I am interested in hearing about from you. What are your positions on the issues and what steps do you plan on taking towards helping the changes needed for growth?

You are getting the questions because you have posted on the forums. I think it would be great if everyone running in all the units answered them and spoke up on where they stand.

Quote:
At least someone is listening to me. As for the dress code as you mentioned in your earlier post; I feel there are many things that need changing to attract more families like mine into the club, but I also believe in remembering our roots, I have no objection at all to the red jackets (not coats) and the flags. I do oppose special privilages and perks for those who do wear the red jackets. If I do win my nomination and proceed up through the ranks I WILL NOT change my WBCCI numbers.

Rick
I agree that remembering the roots of the club needs to be present in the decision making process, but changing how the club does business does not suddenly eliminate the history of what the club is.

We haven't been members long enough to have a lot to say, however, we obviously joined during two somewhat volatile issues which have forced us to take notice and pay attention to what is happening. Not a bad thing really considering the price of membership.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #29
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Hi Kristine-

As I mentioined earlier; Dan Dureiko #29072, Cape Cod Unit President is the candidate endorsed by the nominating committee for Region 1 and so presented at the R1 Fall Business meeting. Me being the newbie on the block he has more years in the organization than I do and that may be the reason he received the nomination.

Yes, as you move up you are 'honored' with a three digit WBCCI number. I like my number and it should always be a reminder of whence we came rather than were we are going.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Hi Kristine-

As I mentioined earlier; Dan Dureiko #29072, Cape Cod Unit President is the candidate endorsed by the nominating committee for Region 1 and so presented at the R1 Fall Business meeting. Me being the newbie on the block he has more years in the organization than I do and that may be the reason he received the nomination.

Yes, as you move up you are 'honored' with a three digit WBCCI number. I like my number and it should always be a reminder of whence we came rather than were we are going.
Hi Rick,

Do you know if we as members will get information to help us know who the candidates are and what their reasons are for running, what they hope to accomplish etc?

Sorry, Rick, if you feel like you are getting slammed. I am thrilled to have a voting choice as it appears that doesn't happen very easiliy in this club!

Do you know if Dan is on the forums to even consider sharing his positions with us?

Regards,
Kristine
Old 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #31
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
To be honest, I do not know if he is on the forum or not. I would imagine if he were he would have chimmed in by now and I would invite him to do so. A ballot and a copy of both of our resumes were given to each R1 president to present at their fall business meeting which is when each unit is to vote. The majority vote will give the unit one vote to cast to the Regional Board. The candidate with the most votes will be seated at the next R1 2ndVP. I personally have a good feel for how each of the six units in our region will vote which will most likely cause a tie. I am not sure what happens at that point but would imagine the sitting R1 Board would break the tie. I have sent an additional copy of my resume and my cover letter as noted at the begining of this thread to each unit.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Hi Kristine-

What's so special about a 3 digit number. When I joined I requested a 5 digit number because it really meant something. I like rallies where they give away door prizes to the highest number; I've never won, but I like knowing I'm in the game. My Mom tried to have a certain 3 digit number retired and even presented a signed petition to ???? but it fell on deaf ears. The "owners" of these numbers were true Airstream and WBCCI ambassadors, worldwide travelers. We carried those numbers with us proudly displayed in their honor. Sorry to get off topic. Leo, please attend a NEU event and I will am looking forward to attending a Metro rally.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
To be honest, I do not know if he is on the forum or not. I would imagine if he were he would have chimmed in by now and I would invite him to do so. A ballot and a copy of both of our resumes were given to each R1 president to present at their fall business meeting which is when each unit is to vote. The majority vote will give the unit one vote to cast to the Regional Board. The candidate with the most votes will be seated at the next R1 2ndVP. I personally have a good feel for how each of the six units in our region will vote which will most likely cause a tie. I am not sure what happens at that point but would imagine the sitting R1 Board would break the tie. I have sent an additional copy of my resume and my cover letter as noted at the begining of this thread to each unit.
Rick, will the unit votes be tallied and added to other unit tallied votes for a grand total or is it the NEU winner is the vote the NEU unit has (1 vote) and each unit has their 1 winning vote for an overal total of 6 votes?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
What's so special about a 3 digit number. When I joined I requested a 5 digit number because it really meant something. I like rallies where they give away door prizes to the highest number; I've never won, but I like knowing I'm in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
My Mom tried to have a certain 3 digit number retired and even presented a signed petition to ???? but it fell on deaf ears. The "owners" of these numbers were true Airstream and WBCCI ambassadors, worldwide travelers. We carried those numbers with us proudly displayed in their honor.
Those numbers belonged to your mom's trailer! How sad she had to fight like that.

This is why I get upset with the club and the politics of it all. Where was the history of the club present when this decision was being made or when they even made the decision to give the club officers the low numbers?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #35
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Rick, will the unit votes be tallied and added to other unit tallied votes for a grand total or is it the NEU winner is the vote the NEU unit has (1 vote) and each unit has their 1 winning vote for an overal total of 6 votes?
Yes, each unit member present at their fall business meeting will vote in accordance to that units constitution. The winner of that vote will receive the units one vote to Region 1.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Hi Rick,

Do you know if we as members will get information to help us know who the candidates are and what their reasons are for running, what they hope to accomplish etc?

Sorry, Rick, if you feel like you are getting slammed. I am thrilled to have a voting choice as it appears that doesn't happen very easiliy in this club!

Do you know if Dan is on the forums to even consider sharing his positions with us?

Regards,
Kristine
Kristine,

Dan contributes to either the Yahoo Airsteam list and/or the Vintage Airstream List, hosted by Tom Patterson. You might try posting a question over there and see what happens.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
IMHO aspects of our club need modernizing.

I will support any canidate who is trying to move our Club out of the doldrums.

Red Jackets, Number of regions or Flag cerimonies are not important issues to me.

What is important to me is:

Voting, One member one vote. be you a MAL or in a Unit.

Family friendly. Kids and Dogs like to camp too.

A concept in leadership wherin the leaders serve the Members.

Removal of class distinctions parking, feeding etc.

Streamlining of the formation of new Units. If all the Units in your area don't fit you and nine of your friends it needs to be fast and easy to form a new Unit.

Thank you for your indulence.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
I don't care if the membership numbers dictated that there were only three regions, East, West, Central. It's all about services and for my money I don't think 300 people need the overhead of a Region. In fact I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs that this region reduction wasn't done five years ago.
Leo,

Just out of curiosity, how much does it actually cost to maintain a region? Are region officers on the double-secret WBCCI payroll? Or do you just want to reduce the number of supernumerary officers?

Thanks,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 AM   #39
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Dan is on this forum but not a frequent visitor. I just sent him an email alerting him to what is going on. DFDureiko is his handle by the way...

I'm making up a check box list in anticiption of a run-off...

__

I am not sure of what you mean by run-off. Currently there are two candidates for the 2nd VP position, Dan and myself.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #40
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
It's a work in progress but something along these lines (attached)...
Good morning Leo- Let me help you fill in some of the blanks on your sheet; No on merging the trwo regions. 22 units in one region I feel at this time is too much area for the Regional Officers as it is currently set-up.

Airstream only, yes. This organization was created to celebrate the Airstream, the Airstream lifestyle and those who own and love their Airstreams.

WBCCI jackets and Hats, Yes. I believe that there are traditions which we as a club should retain and the dress code and flags are a very important part of our history.

MAL- I wouldn't want to totally eliminate members at large, but I would rather see them associated with a unit. But, even MAL's should be allowed to vote on issues just a regular members.

Membership final vote on Delegate Meetings- Currently during a vote at International with propsals changing on the floor it would be impossible to have membership at large vote on the issues. That is the responsibility of the delegate to be totally informed of their units feelings and vote accordingly.

Programs to retain membership- I feel that there needs to be more communication and accurate information going out to the membership. As nice as the BB is, it is very lacking in content and coverage of information. We should take a very serious look at the BB and make it more informative as to what we do.

What types of programs increase member retention- For many, many years we have been loosing members. I do not recall there ever being a serious investigation into why members are leaving. There may have been but I haven't seen it. Whenever attacking a problem like to get to the root cause of the problem before looking for solutions. I would recommend a serious inquiry and survey be established ASAP to interview/question past members as to why they left the club. We need to also survey all our units as to what they are doing at the grass roots level and review what is working and what is not. What makes some units more active in growth than others.

Families are becoming more and more important to our base membership. I am not saying that the club ever inglored families, but our demographics are changing. More two income families with youngsters. I would love to see a Junior WBCCI Member program looked into. Special activities and rallies formulated around the 5 to 13 year olds in our club.

As for official positions prior in WBCCI, other than an active dedicated member who always volunteers when ever needed I have not yet held office. At this years fall business meeting I will be seated as a unit trustee. I feel very strong in keeping the club alive and fun for everyone and believe it is time for new blood, ideas and leadership.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind