Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Kemptville , Ontario
Re-inventing WBCCI

We all have opinions on what isn't working in WBCCI, but other than one motion for change at the last IBT, we don't hear much about what we as members want WBCCI to be. At our recent Ontario Canada Unit rally, we held a town hall meeting of members to find out what they want for their club. The following output of that meeting has been sent to the IP, the Chair of 2020 and to Presidents in Region 2. I am posting the text here to see what others are thinking about what we need to do to get WBCCI back on track.

Re-Inventing WBCCI: An Ontario Canada Unit Position

This note contains recommendations from the Ontario Canada Unit of WBCCI, arising from discussions at a Town Hall meeting of close to 100 members held at our Spring Provincial Rally.

1. A sense of urgency should be prevalent in all discussions on making needed changes to WBCCI. Members are deeply concerned that WBCCI is nearing the point of losing critical mass to be a viable club, both in terms of members and financial resources. We cannot sustain more years of annual losses. Members want to see visible and substantial action leading to decisions at the 2011 mid-winter IBT meeting and at each successive IBT meeting. Members are impatient for progress and will not accept excuses for delay.

2. Our International management structure is top heavy and excessive. The Executive Committee is too detached from the membership. Members will support a re-organization that eliminates the Executive Committee and the International Board of Trustees as they currently exist and replaces both with a Board of Directors made up of Region Presidents. The Board of Directors can elect its own Chairman.

3. The number of Regions must be reviewed in light of the changing responsibilities for Region Presidents noted above. Compelling arguments can be made for reducing the number of Regions, but an analysis of the changing role should influence the final decision.

4. This new organization should be supported by making the senior staff position in WBCCI HQ an Executive Director with real authority to manage operations, recommend budgets and act as an ex officio member of the Board of Directors.

5. The International Rally must be revamped, with changes to be implemented as current contractual commitments are fulfilled. The dates of the International Rally should vary from year to year to offer members more opportunity to participate. The current dates are impractical for many families.

6. Consideration should be given to making the International Rally a bi-annual event. In off years, a Region Rally could be designated as the Annual Rally.

7. The Mid-Winter IBT meeting should be combined with the Florida State Rally to make more efficient use of resources and to inject new life into both events.

8. The current punitive and secretive grievance process should be abolished.

9. Our members have requested that the Ontario Canada Unit develop a contingency plan to ensure that the Unit remains an active and healthy entity should WBCCI descend into insolvency.

So, what do other members of WBCCI want to see happen to their club?

Cheers,
Kerry
Kerrbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I like it. It will be interesting to see what response you get. Were the IBT to seriously entertain such moves I would entertain remaining a member.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
That should happen and be the goal for 2011. I really like the idea of doing away with the IBT and make the regions presidents a board of directors with an executive director (non member employee) running everything.
Good job,
Joe
Old 06-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I think this is a great and wonderful list of suggestions and ideas. I also think that they have already been brought about in slightly altered forms by other people / groups. In each instance, they have been shot down or ignored. For the sake of the WBCCI and the history of Airstream, I hope that this is finally the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back and the WBCCI leadership finally takes the suggestions to heart.

I'm with Boondocker. If the IBT were to show consideration for such valid ideas as you have presented here, I might consider giving them $65 next year. As of now, my vote is no.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Well done.
I would add that having a non-commercial and lightly moderated website/forum would help encourage meaningful and constructive dialog on all the issues facing the WBCCI .

Thanks for posting,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Tom,

How do you see the forum as commercial?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Yay, well said Ontario Unit.
The days of the IBT Monarchy should come to a close. We just can't afford it.
We agree that the International should be streamlined. Some recently have complained about the high cost of the Gillette International. Rightly so.
With the extensive faciilities at hand in Wyoming, why are there early workers there now. One reason why the International fee is so high, all who are going are paying for early-bird-workers pre-rally vacation. Surely, having full hookups this year, there isn't the overhead to run the plumbing and power for rally attendees like in past years.
Making the International Bi-annual is excellent, as well as varying the time the International is held is a great idea.
I fear the only way for the Mid -Winter Escapade to change, eliminating the EC-7.
Unfortunately, those that are heading to the top and that are there now, believe that they deserve all the perks that top-club brass enjoy. Giving those up will not go without a fight.
You go for it, Ontario Unit!! Those of us who actively participate in DenCO 024 support you.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Interesting. In the whole list provided there are no concrete definable objectives, no suggested specific actions, no consideration for current conditions or stimuli, no effective problem definition measured by appropriate criteria.

There are claims made but no referent to show they are valid or reasonable.

What I see here is typical product of those who talk but have no responsibilities to get a job done. Unless you can obtain realistic measures, define a proper focus, creation action oriented objectives, and evaluate those products against the mission and purpose of the organization, you will not be effective
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Tom,

How do you see the forum as commercial?

I was comparing the WBCCI Forum page in relation to the VAC site set up by Buttercup et al. Additionally most of the club run non-profit sites I frequent only have ads for merchandise sold through the club. There is generally no commercial advertising except through a link tab. Classifieds are on a separate page accessed by tabs as is done here.
I did just check into the WBCCI Forum, after a 2-month absence, and found the largest banner box is the one extolling me to please make a post. The Banner Ads to the left and right may be smaller than I remember. If not I stand corrected. That, or the Firefox Ad-Blocker is working as designed.
AirForums is a commercial site and I expect to be presented ads to cover the costs and provide income to the proprietor.
Maybe I’m naive but I think a Club I pay a membership fee to should be free of the clutter.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
great list
international as a bi-annual event is a great idea alternate north in summer and south in winter have suggestions from the membership on where to hold international meetings. we also travel and see great places to hold the event.
one thing that absolutely upsets me is not to have a slate of 2 or more people up for the election of officers. having to 'vote' on one prepicked person has to stop. we need to be able to present other candidates for the slate.
we also need them to put a cap on the dues. it is getting hard to pay the fee and then see what we get for the money.
the wbcci web site is a joke it does not meet my needs and not many people go there. this airforum is a much nicer site.
thanks for sharing your list
pat
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A great list, and nothing within that we would disagree with.

Agreeing with Bryani, they would need to be broken down into clearly defined and measurable objectives.

Maggie
Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Kemptville , Ontario
"bryanl" raises a number of things that our paper isn't. My reply is simply "of course not". The purpose of a single town hall meeting of members is not to prepare a detailed management study, it is to get a solid feel for what active members of the Unit want to see their club become. It is of necessity directional and not detailed. Without direction of what members actually want and will support, how is the club to move forward? We have seen mis-steps from the EC in the past (name change, moho) where members didn't agree with a direction proposed. Our purpose was simply to find out what our members want and will support for the necessary restructuring of WBCCI. Everyone who is paying attention knows pretty well what the challenges are, not a lot of study is needed to define the challenges. We need workable and acceptable solutions. Fine tuning and then implementing those solutions, whatever they are determined to be, will be a lot of work that will involve everyone in the club. Implementing change will require extensive rewrites of Constitution and Bylaws. That will require good information and then voting by every Unit of WBCCI. Our paper is input to the start of that process, and a caution that the process must be timely.

Cheers,
Kerry
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
"What I see here is typical product of those who talk but have no responsibilities to get a job done. Unless you can obtain realistic measures, define a proper focus, creation action oriented objectives, and evaluate those products against the mission and purpose of the organization, you will not be effective"

I thought the job of the officers of a corporation was to maximize the benefit provided to the share holders and increase the net worth of the operation. The ideas provided above would move the club in that direction. I AM responsible for "getting things done" within my Unit and we often solicit input of the type listed above. It helps keep on course and gives the membership an opportunity to express their thoughts as well.

If our rules are in the way, we should find the most expeditious, legal way to eliminate those roadblocks. Organizations which don't learn, improve, and grow... DIE.

While our unit isn't growing as rapidly as we would like, our rally attendance and membership numbers continue in a positive direction. With all the negative energy detracting from the club, how can that be? Maybe constructive criticism from members isn't as NEGATIVE as many would have you believe.

My thoughts.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrbett View Post
We all have opinions on what isn't working in WBCCI, but other than one motion for change at the last IBT, we don't hear much about what we as members want WBCCI to be.
I'm not sure where you've been... but many of us have talking about what we want from our club for a long time.

Based on the reception we've gotten... a few of us put our heads and hearts together and formed The Airstreamer's Club (TAC). In just a short time we have over 300 members and there have already been a number of events held.

Our big kick-off event is being held at Rob & Zoe Baker's farm the end of this month.

We originally called the Wally Byam Birthday Bash, but the folks running the WBCCI decided to use valuable club funds to have a lawyer threaten us about using Wally's name to celebrate his birthday... Now the WBCCI President is telling half-truths about what transpired and the home office spamming the membership with this propaganda.

For those of us looking for a family-friendly Airstream club... the WBCCI is a lost cause... sorry to say.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrbett View Post
Implementing change will require extensive rewrites of Constitution and Bylaws.
And just how do you expect to have extensive rewriting of the Constitution and Bylaws when the same people that write those bylaws are the same people that pass on there legality?

One of the thrust that will be addressed in the suit is challenging this lack of separation in the structure of the Leadership. If you have not read it as of yet there is a motion moving up through the system, that if left to the Leadership will be killed. The suit if successful will require a revamp of this monolith of power.

Here is the proposed ammendment

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ion-59520.html

Read it and see if it doesn't warrant a helping hand.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thumbs down Enough Already

the TAC stalking of every WBCCI thread is getting to be a bit much gentlemen.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
the TAC stalking of every WBCCI thread is getting to be a bit much gentlemen.
Rodney,

I am a fully paid member of the WBCCI...so why is it that I can't comment? I bring up The Airstreamer's Club only as a living example of what the WBCCI just refused to provide. As I said, they don't even want us members to be able to do what we would like to do on our own. Until that changes... you bet I will be commenting on these threads.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Right Leo... Kerry's points are all on target, but the problem here is not a lack of ideas. It is that the folks in charge do not care to listen to them.

To that end, they went so far as to kick you out of the club... and... to have another plan waiting in the wings to kick you out again should you find a way back in.

What makes you think they will now consider the Ontario Units good points?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Right Leo... Kerry's points are all on target, but the problem here is not a lack of ideas. It is that the folks in charge do not care to listen to them.

To that end, they went so far as to kick you out of the club... and... to have another plan waiting in the wings to kick you out again should you find a way back in.

What makes you think they will now consider the Ontario Units good points?
A changing of the guard has to occur, don't you think? The old ways are pretty entrenched up top, and there is not going to be a quick and clearly visible metamorphosis, IMO. That's just not the way change happens. Small, observable behaviors change first, attitudes/beliefs/perceptions and internalized changes come later.

There is attention being paid to all this hubbub, careful monitoring of the threads and posts here and those within the WBCCI who want to see positive and enduring changes occur. Some are looking for signs of an epiphany or "ah-hah" moment, I don't believe we're going to see that and it's just not realistic to expect it.

Maggie
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Kemptville , Ontario
Wow, I was hoping for some discussion and we have that in buckets. Thank you everyone. That said, some specific responses. To HowieE, a member brought Forrest's motion to our attention before our Spring Meeting and the Unit members voted very strongly to support the Motion. To those who say you can't have fun in WBCCI, we have a lot of fun in our Unit. We had 90 Airstreams at our Spring Rally and everyone had a ball. The Unit really is the heart, but we have too many small struggling Units that are aging out. At some point, we probably need to consolidate Units, but that is for the local members to decide.

We are certainly aware of all the talk over the past few years about modernizing WBCCI and we have been part of that. We are not trying to downplay the efforts of others. This time, we are trying to be more specific. My fear is that we were seeing the start of some minor tinkering (eliminate the I3VP) when we need major surgery (eliminate the whole EC). The EC and IBT as well as 2020 need to see a groundswell from Units all across the club to overcome the inertia. We all need to push and some are choosing to do that via the legal route, others with different tactics. No one effort may be successful on its own, but in combination success may be achieved. If it isn't, we want to ensure that the good times we have in our Unit will continue unabated whatever the fate of WBCCI.

Cheers,
Kerry