Old 12-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Considering the price of a newer Airstream, it is surprising how many of their owners spend the evening at Walmart instead of paying the campground fees. I have never been an early worker and I was always wondered why we needed so many when Good Sam has none.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
greywolf,

We are in total agreement with you. The status quo is not always acceptable. The lack of leadership is so sad and disgraceful. Showing favortism shows lack of ability. And members stand around and hope
things will die down and everything will get back to normal. How truly sad. It never gets back to "normal"

Predeta

Old 12-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I know the early parking worker that originally caused the problem Gillette. He is a handful and even his unit president has not been happy with dealing with him for years. International management took direct action within days to try to rectify the problem but were not completely able to fix the damage. It seems to be still festering. It is like a splinter you do not fully remove. Ignoring it only makes it worse. Parkers tend to become dictatorial and relish their power. They have caused member problems at many rallies.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
So you mean the IP is actually doing the right thing? Shouldn't we be supporting his bold leadership?
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
So you mean the IP is actually doing the right thing? Shouldn't we be supporting his bold leadership?
There are ninety posts before yours. What are you referring to? A quote would help.

If you mean cutting down on early workers, that would be fine if the IP had not based his budget on 800+ attendees and committed to front end expenditures based on that number.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I have never been an early worker and I was always wondered why we needed so many when Good Sam has none.
I'm not so sure about that. We signed up for one Good Sam rally of whose location we were a little unsure. I was passing through that town a week before the rally so decided to locate the site. Good thing, too--when I punched in the address given in the rally flier my GPS took me to a muddy farm field. I had to rely on the low-tech method of asking directions at a gas station.

In any case when I found the rally site there were already a dozen or two RVs there with folks in Good Sam hats and polo shirts laying down water and electric lines. Certainly early workers. I think they may have been paid employees, but I didn't ask.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

In any case when I found the rally site there were already a dozen or two RVs there with folks in Good Sam hats and polo shirts laying down water and electric lines. Certainly early workers. I think they may have been paid employees, but I didn't ask.
That's the key. A dozen or so, not 100 plus. And the Good Sam rallis are a LOT bigger than the WBCCI.

Would be interesting to know how many early workers Escapees have for their rallies.. I think most clubs have a few, but not to the extent of WBCCI.

I don't like having six days of parking for some one else built into my rally fee.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #92
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I have said this before I know - but here goes again.... We go to Burning Man every year. We have volunteered for 10 of those years in one capacity. As far as I knew a few years ago anyway, the cost to put on the event was based on the number of people per day out on the playa. Obviously, if that is the case, the number of early workers you have impacts the event and services.
Burning Man has a few hundred to maybe a thousand early workers leading up to the event opening. That is for a city that will have a population of 50,000 for just one week!
Yes, they aren't laying pipe, but they are burying cables and putting in electric services where needed. They are also building mega shade structures, a food service area, medical services, police, fire and even a post office. All of that for the coming hordes. The ratio of early volonteers to participants is very low. I cannot escape the impression that there was an enormous number of early workers for International. Every International I have gone to looks like it is fully loaded by the time the VAC parades in.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Increasingly the volunteers are retired and slowing down, and some treat it as an extended vacation, so they do less work. You need more of them to compensate.*

Additionally, WBCCI is a highly ordered and procedural body, so there's a huge amount of traditional "make-work" - this means comparing WBCCI to Good Sam events, etc is not an apples to apples comparison.

* No disrespect to the many active retired people on this forum who are still finding adventure in every day.