Old 12-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It depends on the definition of "family". If you mean, an older retired couple with sufficient money to travel broadly and particulate in national caravans and special events, WBCCI is very "family" friendly. My grand kid also enjoyed participating in one International. If you define "family" as a young couple who both work and only have two weeks vacation a year and a couple of kids, that enjoy other kinds of activities, the national activities of WBCCI are not for them. They should join a local camping club that does not require them to also join a national organization that just funds activities for retirees.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Ah, resurrecting a 6 month old thread, this should get the juices going again. I am not retired, nor do I go on carravans, but I respect the club for what it was and is. Dangerous times now when a small group can convince the masses that change is absolutely needed now. Be careful of ones wishes. Sure the WBCCI may implode from within sooner or later, but blowing it up now is not the answer. Leave tradition alone, use your heads, either drop out of the club or do not join in the first place. Maybe quality over quantity is the answer. There are other options. zz

Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #45
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Maybe quality over quantity is the answer. There are other options. zz
To insinuate that people who dissent or have a different vision are of low quality is breathtakingly insulting, surely you do not stand by this comment.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
If it were just a club, I would agree with you. However, it is THE club. The only Airstream club sanctioned by Airstream. The majority of the members can be as happy as they wish, but they are the tiny minority of Airstreamers as a whole, and they're basically hijacking[1] the only official club for their own enjoyment.

This reminds me of an analog discussion with a friend:

them: I don't like walmart's practices so I won't shop there.
me: If you won't shop there and are not their customer, why would they consider you when defining their practices?
them: because I have a choice of somewhere else to go. If I had no choice and Walmart was the only game in town, I'd be vocal to them. Since I have a choice, why bother?

The only difference here is that WBCCI didn't have any Airstream-specific "competition" until this decade.[2] Now it does, and Airforums has seven times more members than WBCCI. Given that six out of seven Airforums members are former or never-members of WBCCI, it seems obvious WBCCI is not serving the broader needs of Airstreamers.

Why?

Further, why does Airstream tolerate this when it directly harms their brand, marque and sales?

[1] I know "hijacking" is a hard word and a little mis-used, and welcome offers of a word that fits better
[2] I know there were other clubs, but none were sanctioned by Airstream.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
To insinuate that people who dissent or have a different vision are of low quality is breathtakingly insulting, surely you do not stand by this comment.
It's natural for people to define their own position as the correct one, and therefore of higher quality.

A statement like this isn't a dismissal of "other" so much as a comment on self.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
So far, the request to hold meetings has not officially filtered down to our unit.
I'm quoting my own earlier post.

The "town meeting" never happened with our unit, probably the largest unit in Region 9 and just about the only growing unit in the region. Yet, the latest region newsletter contained a summary of responses from town meetings. Something is wrong here.

We have several units in the region on the verge of closing down. One of the units had over 200 members at one time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
The "Town Meeting" never happened or was even discussed at the Tennessee unit either. even though there was a region officer present at one of the meetings. (who probably collected travel expenses for being there)
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
If it were just a club, I would agree with you. However, it is THE club. The only Airstream club sanctioned by Airstream. The majority of the members can be as happy as they wish, but they are the tiny minority of Airstreamers as a whole, and they're basically hijacking[1] the only official club for their own enjoyment.
Dave I will attempt to bring you up to date.

Airstream withdrew it's financial support of the WBCCI several years ago. Yes it has a few pictures relating to the WBCCI in the lobby in Jackson Center and yes it still has a diminishing representation aimed at selling parts at the Fl Rally.

Another indication as to the direction of Corporate support you might note the Alumapalooza is held on Corporate grounds and has no reference to the WBCCI Alumapalooza 2011

As for the use of the term "THE Club" you are misusing the term "THE" as has been a principle part of the name of the newer Airstream owners club "THE AIRSTREAM CLUB".

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
By quality I mean people who support the club, quantity simply refers to those who are members and prefer to be antagonistic, perhaps these are the majority or not? {quantity]. No where did I say LOW quality. Misinterpreting anothers statements to suit your needs and then flaming that person, now that is insulting, but then again in some cases your definition of quality and quantity as used by me----oh well if the shoe fits! I stand by my original post. zz
Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Notwithstanding, WBCCI has permission (formal or otherwise) from Airstream to use the Airstream name and marks, whereas no other club does. WBCCI also aggressively claims publicity rights for "Wally Byam." Airforums was encouraged to change name and hand over the domain name, which is unfortunate, since it's Airstream's biggest and most active "fan club."

WBCCI may not be actively supported, but it is "approved" and others are actively impeded. There is an apparent differential of treatment.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I agree. The support is there from AS. zz
Old 12-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I see Airstream slowly but surely backing away from WBCCI. Big corporations expect a return from money and effort spent. Thor sees the way things are going; WBCCI no longer merits a substantial investment.

That is why Airstream supports Alumapalooza, which appeals to the younger folks that are the principal buyers of Airstreams today.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
And the younger buyers are less into tradition, hence no membership in the WBCCI. A good reason that the forums and The Airstream club offer an alternative to the WBCCI. zz
Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
It this point, WBCCI has a choice to make. It can either continue to be exclusive, or start to become inclusive. The irony is that unless it becomes more inclusive, it will not be able to afford to be exclusive for much longer. Furthermore, If it became inclusive, it could continue to be exclusive anyway.

If it were to focus on publicizing just how family friendly a lot of the local units are, and help them in arranging frequent, local, economical and family friendly rallies, membership would stop declining.

If they were to embrace that at the national level, membership would increase.

Ironically, the Internationals could continue as is, because they are just not of interest to the newer/younger members. Therefore, the old guard can either accept the families with open arms and continue their traditional ways, or whither away and lose their Internationals with all the attendant pomp and ceremony.

Given that stark choice, I suspect many of the "old guard" would be quite happy to see young children running around at a few rallies. This happens anyway; they're just not very publicly inviting about it - even though many of the units are.