Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #61
Rivet Master

You are joking, right?

ZZ,

That was the choice of action of the WBCCI "IBT/EC7" not the general membership. "EVERY" WBCCI member I've ever asked about this subject would say "yes" to the following questions:

Would you like to see the IBT/EC7 relax the dresscode?
Would you like to see the IBT/EC7 have more family type things to do at rallies?
Should the IBT/EC7 work towards getting younger members?
Should the IBT/EC7 cut back on travel?
etc.. etc.. etc...

I think you get the point of the questions. The regular members have little to no voice in how things are run at the top. If you are someone that points this out, you will never get to the top to help change things.

I understand your point, if you don't like it leave, stop bitching, etc... there are just some of us that would like to see this club be around when our kids get older so they will have a club for thier kids.

One also should understand the mind set of the babyboomers are not the same of the generation running the IBT/EC7, they are more relaxed, less rules, have fun, etc...

I know of many that have quit and more that are going to over much of the same problems over the past 10 years. There's only so many left to leave.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #62
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Words have meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
ZZ,

I understand your point, if you don't like it leave, stop bitching, etc...
And those who don't shut up and go along are not "quality". Reminiscent of the "mere member" comment is it not?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Again, you misread my statement. Quality members are those who go by the rules and force change if necessary, others appear to want to change the rules to get the same results. I know, going by the rules so far has not created change, neither has breaking or ignoring them. [which in the end will end the club] zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Zig I think you have missed the point.

Many have tried to change the rules over the years from within using the so called polices and regulations. This has proven totally fruitless. Now there appears to be one last chance.

According to the Mid Winter agenda there will be a presentation of proposed bylaw changes. If the Leadership reacts towards these suggestions as they have historically reacted to proposals and amendments I suspect this will set one of 2 courses, French or English history.

The French demanded change and were rejected costing a few their heads. The English demanded change and got a much improved society. Oh yes the King kept most of his perks. So all need not be lost at the top just because the masses get some relief and voice in their future. The King should still be allowed to ride around in his carriage, just not an SOB carriage, and the masses should debate and pass on governance.

Just as the financial community used to predict the potential outcome of Chairman Greespan's reports by the thickness of his case I suspect we will get an indication of acceptance by the quantity of ice tea pitchers available at the meeting.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Howie,

Have the agenda and the motions been released?

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Zig I think you have missed the point.

Many have tried to change the rules over the years from within using the so called polices and regulations. This has proven totally fruitless. Now there appears to be one last chance.

According to the Mid Winter agenda there will be a presentation of proposed bylaw changes. If the Leadership reacts towards these suggestions as they have historically reacted to proposals and amendments I suspect this will set one of 2 courses, French or English history.

The French demanded change and were rejected costing a few their heads. The English demanded change and got a much improved society. Oh yes the King kept most of his perks. So all need not be lost at the top just because the masses get some relief and voice in their future. The King should still be allowed to ride around in his carriage, just not an SOB carriage, and the masses should debate and pass on governance.

Just as the financial community used to predict the potential outcome of Chairman Greespan's reports by the thickness of his case I suspect we will get an indication of acceptance by the quantity of ice tea pitchers available at the meeting.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #66
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Howie,

Have the agenda and the motions been released?

Bill
Bill,
The agenda is on the WBCCI.org website under the IBT tab.
There will likely be a few additions. Motion/Item number 6 is not listed yet and it is a request for a new flag for the El Camino Real Unit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Motion/Item number 6 is not listed yet and it is a request for a new flag for the El Camino Real Unit.
While they are rearranging the deck chairs, flag, we are trying to get the hole in the side of the ship patched.

But the band will play till the end.

All can take heart. There is only one grievance this year. Who do you think won the rubber duck this time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #68
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
But the band will play till the end.
And the band will be Lawrence Welk's.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #69
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I see from Don McKelvay's material for the IBT that the West Texas Unit is now down to less than 10 members. That is 3 units in Region 9 that are in the process of failing: Texas Unit, East Texas Unit, and West Texas Unit.

I expect the balance of the West Texas Unit to move over to the Texas Plains Unit.

McKelvay writes that as of end of November, the club is down 7%. I expect some dire drops in the next several years as a whole generation "ages out."
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Richard,

Thanks,

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Bill,
The agenda is on the WBCCI.org website under the IBT tab.
There will likely be a few additions. Motion/Item number 6 is not listed yet and it is a request for a new flag for the El Camino Real Unit.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #71
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
If it were just a club, I would agree with you. However, it is THE club. The only Airstream club sanctioned by Airstream.

[2] I know there were other clubs, but none were sanctioned by Airstream.
Actually Dave, The Airstreamer's Club is sanctioned to use "Airstream" by Airstream even thought "Airstreamer's" is a plural possessive noun and would squeak by the trademarked "Airstream" name. We asked the top of Airstream and his response was something along the lines of "what ever promotes Airstream and Airstream product in a positive light is just fine with Airstream" (not a direct quote)
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #72
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
As for the use of the term "THE Club" you are misusing the term "THE" as has been a principle part of the name of the newer Airstream owners club "THE AIRSTREAM CLUB".
It is "The Airstreamer's Club" or "TAC" for the short version.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I wanted to chime in on this. I know it has been said before - but the history of the club and the Big Red Numbers is so important to people like myself. And actually, it is important enough that I have been involved in all of this for years.... If the WBCCI goes down in flames (and it will at the current pace) the history of the club should not - there is no reason for it.
Currently, I do believe that the club is in deep trouble - that is no doubt. But does it have to be? Can the club be reorganized or managed to the point of once again being a profitable venture? I do believe so - but not going the direction we are going.
I work for and support fully the VAC - I give the VAC uncounted # of hours each month working on keeping that intraclub a vibrant club. I will not lie when I express this thought - IF WBCCI goes down in flames while I am an officer in the VAC, I want to see that the VAC will still be a club that can stand on its own and continue to thrive. The VAC should not suffer the same fate of the WBCCI just because it is an intraclub of the WBCCI. Vintage Airstreaming is so popular, the VAC should be able to weather the decline of the WBCCI.
There is so much the club could to support itself and the units that are progressive and thriving! For example, WBCCI could easily create a "One StopShop" of joining online. A store could easily be set up that allows you to join WBCCI and a local unit with a click of a button. But no, we are still filling out cards and doing business by snail mail - it could be so much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
And that was the WBCCI's choice of action, so why not let it be. zz
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
I think we can see by what happened to Leo what lays in store for those who dare to desire to bring about change in the WBCCI. That sort of thinking can't be tolerated!

I am so upset about what has taken place in my unit, I'm considering opening a thread about it. Our leadership would rather see dozens of members leave rather than have to correct one of their old timer buddies.

I predict a falling away in numbers in 2011 larger than what WBCCI has experienced to date.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Maybe if they could book Aerosmith instead of Lawrence Welk........In all seriousness, while change can be uncomfortable it is also possible to find joy in it and the positive results.

I became a hesitant WBCCI member this year, and have been very pleased with the direction my unit (GA), and Region (3) leadership are trying to go/move.

It gives me hope that the rich heritage of the WBCCI can continue.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #76
Contributing Member

Part of the problem is that the International Rally is managed by a different person each year and there is absolutely no control over whether that person has the skills to do the job. Jerry Larson completely blew it with a huge financial loss and it looks like the current President is on track to do the same. One of the motions to come before IBT in January is intended to limit the financial damage that can be inflicted.

While the club could still afford it, there should have been a skilled manager as the principal planner for the International Rallies and manage the club in general. No reflection on Cindy Reed, but I understand that her late husband once filled at least some of that function. The diminished size of the club can no longer would support the overhead of such a manager.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Really, is the International rally needed. If they would give it up, think about how much money could be saved. No more travelling expense trying to sell it. No big losses from shortfalls in attendence. Just think they could reduce the club dues in half and maybe attract new members. Just do the club business at another IBT rally. They seem to do fine as a rally. Of course that would leave the International bunch with nothing to do all year, so this would never pass.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #78
Contributing Member

The 20-20 committee suggested that the International Rally could be one of the region rallies. I have a problem with that in that if the International officers are not capable of planning rallies, the region officers would be even less capable. With the necessary lead time, it would be a green region 2VP planning the rally. Some regions are now unable to even fill the 2VP spot.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I think the international is important but badly mismanaged. We all know what the early workers cost - especially at facilities with full hookups - early workers are just not needed at the extent as rallies where a huge infrastructure is needed. That coupled with having daily breakfasts and meals, etc for the early workers.... its a waste.
Arriving early should be a privilege enough to make the work worthwhile. There are probably dozens of ways to make the international more in range cost wise of what people are actually willing to pay. Currently, us regular members are footing the bill for needless things too much.
We are going to international to be with the VAC. But it burns me that we are paying for others to attend days that we just cannot.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #80
Contributing Member

IMO: No early workers should be at a full-hookup rally more than a day or two before the opening ceremony. They simply are not needed.

Trouble is, all of those old-time early workers are used to getting most of a month of parking for the same money you and I pay for 8 days plus perks such as breakfasts and tours. If they are cut down to the actual rally days plus a day or two, there will be a flock of those folks who will simply not come any more. That will decrease the number of rigs at the rally even more.

Once folks have a good thing, they are pretty hard to scale back.
WBCCI #9632