Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #41
Certifiable

. , .
I move that the 2010 International Rally be canceled.

Rationale: The International Rally Fund was set up as a contingency fund (separate from the General Fund) should an unpreventable event occur.
The Rally Fund is now at $242,500.00.

$103,280.00 due primarily to the gross mismanagement of our club, (not higher gas prices or a declining economy) now has to come out of the club's nest egg leaving only $139,220.00.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Not so quick or simple???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
I received a very heated email after posting this.

So yes the ANICIENTS are reading this thread.

Two choices Start a new club, not so quick or simple.

Second - start a legal defense fund and litigate these issues.

I spoke to an attorney he said a good firm can be found for a starting a law suit for about a retainer of $10K, with the fees expected to reach $50K over 18 months or so.

The fiscal responsibility claim would be enough to get some one appointed to overlook the spending pending the litigation.

A fund could be set up on line quickly thru Paypal.

With the number of WBCCI members and Air Forum members it would be well within reach to get a war chest.
Starting a new club is not hard to do. And it is not expensive.

It can be done for the fee charged by the state to incorporate a non profit mutual benefit domestic organization, the rental fee for a post box for the organization, and, when the time comes, the postage to send the annual tax forms to the state and the feds. Depending on the state, probably fewer than $500.

As for the documents necessary to file for incorporation about 15 pages are needed for a decent set of bylaws; unlike the incredible 79 pages that the WBCCI has.

This is a far cry from $10,000 to $50,000 for a "start a legal defense fund and litigate these issues" which will probably take, at a minimum months, if not years, to reach resolution.

Seems like building a new organization that does what you want is a much easier and less expensive path to follow.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Bill (Airdog),
Excellent post! Yeah WBCCI has some issues, but many of us 40-somethings find value and fun things to do in this club, don't we.

Even though Lorrie and I are still working we've found time to go on two short caravans (2 to 2.5 weeks). You should definitely try one when you get a chance. Like you we dream about the longer ones to more exotic places . . . some day.

If you get a chance, some of the Special Event Rallies can be a blast, too. They tie in to an event that perhaps you would never go to on your own. We've attended the last Indy 500 Rally (in 2005), and a Autumn Leaf Rally and a "Tall Stacks" (riverboat) Rally. Since it looks like no caravan for us in 2010 we may try another Special Event Rally, perhaps the Pocono Nascar Rally or the Sugar Creek Rally or the Cape May Victorian Days Rally, or maybe others I am forgetting. And that's on top of trying to make a few Unit rallies.

Despite the negativity the abounds, there are all sorts of enjoyable things to do in the club. And if you want this club to survive and thrive, it doesn't hurt to get in and help here or there, even if it is just expressing your opinions (politely) to the Region President before he heads to the Mid-Winter IBT meeting (I am preparing to do so, since he did ask in the last Region Newsletter).

Lorrie and I will see you and Elaine next year at some event or another. Happy Holidays!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #44

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Stef,

You will see that the same amount shows up as an expense item. They are flowing the amount through the income statement.

Bill
Got it. That shows why I let my hubby do all the accounting

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #45
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
From the stupid people asking questions department.....

Who should a member of the Four Corners Unit email (gawd forbid snailmail) with his concerns?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
To the General,

Love your pics, great photographer.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #47
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
To the General,

Love your pics, great photographer.
Thanks

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
I am personally concerned that the term camping is creeping into the Airstream jargon.
AIRSTREAM JARGON

What the devil is that all about

That's exactly the attitude that KEEPS us away.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #49
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Didn’t realize the IBT’s budget and pending motions were not for the general membership’s reading, review or comment. Growing up in the USA, I must be very naïve about other ways of doing business and controlling others. Can’t we practice due diligence, full disclosure and have civil discussions within an organization chartered in this country?

The CIA has as its motto: “And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.” Does that mean that knowing the club’s budget and pending motion and asking questions can get you exiled?

Gosh…. hope we don’t have to go through a period of inquisitions and excommunications.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Does not seem fair to me, They “REDUCE” spending by 10% on themselves, while “DUES” are “INCREASED” by 36.5% on us! How about we switch those numbers??
DITTO!!!!! I second that motion.

Rideair - If as "they" say, this club is driven by the members at the unit level, can your statement above be put in the form of a Motion to be considered by the "Big Guys", discussed in an open forum and then voted on by the unit members, one member, one vote?

Question - When local & senior officers of the WBCCI are installed, don't they (more or less) have to SWEAR UNDER OATH to conduct the business of the Club in an ethical manner, IE in such a way as to NOT cause harm (loss of membership / shoddy financial stewardship) to the Club? If a publicly traded corporation was run in the same manner, that corporation's senior management would have to be fired in a "New Yawk Minute" and possibly face legal prosecution for fraud.

Do I have this right? They cut one fairly minor (but highly visible) budget item by 10%, then propose to increase membership dues by 36%, and have absolutely NOTHING to offer the membership (constructive or not - just anything meaningful?) to address the Clubs' membership & financial decline? As I understand it, the majority of the motions being put forth only serve to cast in concrete their grevience procedures. Can that be right?

Surely they don't think we're that naive??

I pays my dues, but only in order to continue to have rightful access to a wonderful group of Airstreamers - my local unit. I hate the thought of a disproportionate share of my dues going to support a management team that refuses to consider the best interests of the Club but rather their opportunity to repay themselves in today's perks & ego-driven bad decisions that are slowly ruining our Club.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Who should a member of the Four Corners Unit email (gawd forbid snailmail) with his concerns?
Send email to me. I'm a lowly trustee but I will get it to the board for you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #52

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Proposed dues increase

I'm afraid that I cannot support a dues increase within the WBCCI for several reasons.

The first and foremost is the traveling reimbursements to the hierarchy. In my opinion, these costs need to be severely curtailed or completely eliminated. I'm not saying that these individuals don't work hard and deserve something for their efforts, but the club budget no longer allows for this type of spending. Raising the dues over 36% to support this spending will surely outrage the membership, and cause many members to leave in disgust. The hierarchy needs to realize that raising the dues significantly in these difficult economic times is severely irresponsible.

As to the Blue Beret, it needs a complete overhaul. It's about as exciting as the newsletter at the local nursing home. The people in charge need to get with it. It's almost 2010, folks. The Blue Beret looks like something out of 1954. A good club publication brings in advertising revenue and new members. The Blue Beret is the only contact that most members have with the national club. No wonder membership is falling. The Blue Beret needs to be offered online. Most people today, myself included, don't want a bunch of old magazines lying around. There really needs to be a proper Blue Beret electronic library.

The membership roster also needs to be electronic. I am a member of several other clubs and fraternal organizations. The WBCCI is the only one that still routinely prints their roster. Again, it's 2010 folks, and this Internet thing is not just a passing fad. This item alone would save that $16,00 printing fee.

A significant dues raise at this time is not a real great idea.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

A significant dues raise at this time is not a real great idea.

Brian
A significant dues raise at this time is a very bad idea.

Just my own opinion, or is it?
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Unhappy with the IBT but still love the club? Me too.

Subvert from within.

Run for office and work your way up the chain. You are probably younger than the current international leaders. You will get there.

Introduce motions to:

Stop paying for anybody but the International President's International Rally fee's.

End special parking.

End any other perks that cost money but only reward the elite. Etc.

There is no rule, bylaw or amendment that cannot be deleted or modified.

Use smaller battles to build the base and gain a voting bloc and voting power.

Unfocused anger and disgust serve no purpose and allow the status quo to continue.

Lay out a plan and and a strategy. The soap box and then the ballot box.

It's up to me/us/you to protect and steward our club into the future.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 12-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #55
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
As I understand, this is only a motion that the IBT votes on in January. If everyone who is opposed to this motion sends an e-mail to his or her unit President, region President, and IBT officers with a simple NO INCREASE IN DUES in the title, we would have a grass roots voting for the IBT to see. In this electronic age nothing is safe or hidden, just ask Tiger or Bill. I also agree that it should be switched, 36% reduction on IBT expenses and 10% increase in dues, I could live with that.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I've been thinking of punting the WBCCI even before I heard of the increase. We only joined to go to a Special Event Rally each summer. We didn't go this summer due having to get a new heat pump, refrigerator/freezer and dryer. All broke within 3 weeks, so paying the increased rally fees didn't make sense.

So if the WBCCI goes the way of the Dodo Bird, I think there is enough interest here on the Air Forums to organize some informal events. After all, isn't the Airstream Club all about camping and travelling with fellow Airstream friends and not about hanging out with Stuffed Shirts and goofy berets following parlamentary procedures.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Unhappy with the IBT but still love the club? Me too.

Subvert from within.

Run for office and work your way up the chain. You are probably younger than the current international leaders. You will get there.

Introduce motions to:

Stop paying for anybody but the International President's International Rally fee's.

End special parking.

End any other perks that cost money but only reward the elite. Etc.

There is no rule, bylaw or amendment that cannot be deleted or modified.

Use smaller battles to build the base and gain a voting bloc and voting power.

Unfocused anger and disgust serve no purpose and allow the status quo to continue.

Lay out a plan and and a strategy. The soap box and then the ballot box.

It's up to me/us/you to protect and steward our club into the future.
Good idea, problem is, I join a club to have fun, not do more work. I do enough work at work.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #58
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
If you request a refund before the end of December do they have to do it?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Good idea, problem is, I join a club to have fun, not do more work. I do enough work at work.
If folks don't have the time or inclination to be part of change. The cause is lost.

Excuses have never carried the day.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #60
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
In addition to the 25 motions in the original post, motion #26 has recently been added to the agenda. This motion was proposed by the New Mexico Unit and approved at the Region 11 business meeting several months ago. This motion calls for the reduction of the number of regions we currently have and the elimination of the 3rd VP. It also restructures the International Rally and puts it in the hands of the Regions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motion to Reorganize IBT.pdf (67.3 KB, 71 views)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote