Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I purchased a 2010 FC 25 fb in October. Did I get a free 1 yr membership in WBCCI-NO; cap, NO; T-shirt, NO; chair, NO, but I did get a Kelty bag with the AS papers. I did get to take the AS home along with a note for the balance.
The first of November I got contacted by the Iowa unit about membership, the dues would be $70.00/yr with 15 to the unit and 55 to WBCCI, I asked what this would be for and was told I would get a monthly newsletter and the WBCCI magazine. ?????
I get Airstream Life and The Air forum and from what I see there is more information here than the previous. The NOVA sounds interesting.
Until WBCCI changes, I do NOT think I will join.
"It"s not what _____ can do for you; it's what you can do for_____." If one tries, they would probably end up like Bob Thompson; kicked out.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dues

I wonder what would haapen, if each of us, paid just half of the dues, with a note attached that the other half is being held in escrow, until these currect issues are at least brought to a table for review, discussion, AND CHANGES?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Interesting that the 1st reaction to a serious drop in membership is to increase the cost to the remaining (some might say "faithful") membership (by over 36%!), and NOT to attempting to find the ways and means to increase membership!

Or did I miss something?

Shocking. Simply shocking.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Jesus, what an ugly budget report! With numbers like that, I can see the membership numbers dwindle even more. I'm glad I'm no longer a part of this sinking behemoth.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Really agree with you there Frederic. How did they make the budget, with a random number generator?

You'd think after so many years they'd be able to estimate income and expenses within +/- 10%, not +/- 75%.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The problem I see is the people on this forum know the problems but the majority of the WBCCI membership have no idea what's going on.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Really agree with you there Frederic. How did they make the budget, with a random number generator?

You'd think after so many years they'd be able to estimate income and expenses within +/- 10%, not +/- 75%.
Is there really any fiduciary responsibilty tied to the IBT, that has any true meaning?

Yeah, about the same as GM, AIG, and B of A.

At least it's not an "ENRON".

Again, when it's others money to freely spend, it used to be said, "the sky"s the limit".

But that was before the space age.

Now it's more like "the stars are the limit", and it looks like the rockets of the IBT have been refueled, regardless of the costs.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
You know ... I was actually considering joining ...

A rate increase that high, with a financial report like that, isn't the way to get new members!

I don't think I'll bother ......
Old 12-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #29

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The International Rally is the albatross around the neck of the organization. If significant changes were made there, the financial bleeding would stop. Now that only fixes one aspect of the problem. You still have to attract and retain new membership.

I lasted 4 years as a member with my last attempt to try to come up with an activity format that followed old school one month followed by the next month being an informal style of event like the we do for Airforums. On the one informal rally only 6 units showed up and when I combined the annual forum Moraine View rally in June as an event for our local unit, not counting myself only one local trailer showed up. Later I found out that many of the local unit members had planned during an earlier Regional rally, to boycott the new style events. Once I confirmed that, I informed local leadership that I was walking at the end of the year. The president tried to persuade me to stay saying it was folks like me who could change the organization. I declined and have had no regrets. Based on what I see, I doubt the local unit here will survive over the long run, much less the International's woes.

It came down to the folks in my unit didn't want change. Even though at the point that I left, every new member that had joined in the four years I was there eventually left. You would think they would see that as an indication of not meeting the new members needs. I sometimes think that these folks in leadership are either so set in their ways that any change is not acceptable, or like in my situation when you attempt change, you find yourself as the agent of change, outside looking in. No one wants to be put in that position. Obviously I was put into a situation of accept the way it is and conform, or stay and pay for something that I didn't enjoy.

While Andy espoused holding back a portion of dues, I'd rather take a tough love stance. If the International situation bothers you that much, then it's time to move on. The deck is stacked on existing leadership and the future holders of those positions. Maybe it's time to stop fighting the fight playing by the rules at hand. By leaving the organization, you will actually hasten the oncoming of change. While existing International leadership might applaud the departure of those thorns, the long term effect of the loss of income will force the change that those thorns are advocating.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #30
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Interesting.......

at least to me that you can spend the entire winter at Quartzite for less than a week at Gillette. Why is a week long business meeting needed for a camping club anyway? Did I miss something here?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
If things continue as it appears it will continue, when it is time for me to renew, I will send my $75 to Andy and send a note to the WBCCI leadership explaining why I am not renewing. I get so much more from this forum than I have from the WBCCI.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #32
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
It is good that the current budget report was published for all to see. It should wakeup the membership that group action is needed now. Those running the show might hope most silent members will continue to be as ignorant, accepting and complaisant today as many of us were when we first joined. Silence will not alter the situation nor benefit the club.

No one should be hindered for resisting a 36% increase just because others will be held in contempt for past errors. Rather, those practicing and enforcing contemptible policies and poor management should be hindered. These old issues have finally developed into major problems.

Members have proposed many beneficial changes for the good for the organization, and gotten nowhere. You have to wonder if WBCCI administrators who for years have opposed necessary reforms will vote in January to raise dues.

Declining membership is the lagging indicator of an organization’s health.
Raise the dues in 2010, then count me out in 2011.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Looking over the budget the only thing I didn't get was the 'Church Offerings' under income. Why is that income? Doesn't that get passed along to a real church?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Looking over the budget the only thing I didn't get was the 'Church Offerings' under income. Why is that income? Doesn't that get passed along to a real church?
Stef,

You will see that the same amount shows up as an expense item. They are flowing the amount through the income statement.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #35
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
with apologies to stef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Looking over the budget the (only) thing I didn't get was the ..........
$35 for youth programing. A $35 gesture is in my opinion, an obscene one.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Although I too have concern for the financial health of the WBCCI, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
Don't forget that Wally Byam made Airstream into an icon not because it was just a better travel trailer (that is even debatable), but because he brought more sophisticated travelers into the RV market by offering travel and adventure. He sold a lifestyle.

That lifestyle is the WBCCI. Without Rallies and the comradery that is abundant among Airstreamers, Airstream would probably have gone the way of the 300 other defunct trailer manufacturers that were Wally's competition in the 1940's. Without the many local Airstream events and rallies, Airstream would become just another SOB

I grew up caravanning with my parents in the 50's & 60's. I came back to Airstream because of the fellowship and travel adventure that I remembered as a child. If I just wanted to camp, I would have bought a white box and parked it at a campground for the season.

Let's be constructive and help fix the WBCCI. The leaders do need to evaluate our current situation and adapt. The days of spending a certain amount of money, just because last year's President did, are over. Let's focus on what the average Airstreamer wants. I think they want opportunities to meet other people who enjoy travel. The days of parades and opening ceremonies may be over. People want to do things they can't do on their own. Otherwise, why would you join a group. Why not focus on special events as the focal point of the International rally.

I sure hope that the loyal Airstream zealots on this forum will band together and fix (or improve) WBCCI, not abandon it.

I am personally concerned that the term camping is creeping into the Airstream jargon. I don't remember hearing that term used when Wally was promoting Airstream and the WBCC. My parents bought an Airstream because they bought the lure of travel to exotic places that Wally was so good at selling. In my opinion Wally never saw an Airstream as a camper, but rather as a vehicle to take people to places they had never been. Unfortunately, camping has evolved into going to the same campground weekend after weekend, year after year. My parents rarely went to the same place even twice. It was always about what is over the next hill, or around the next bend. It was about seeing as much of this world as possible.

That is my memory and it is now my dream.

I would love to hear Pee Wee's take on this. No one knew Wally, or the WBCC that his Mother nurtured, better.
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Is there really any fiduciary responsibilty tied to the IBT, that has any true meaning?
In some states members of a nonprofit may sue the directors in the name of the organization for not acting according to the directors' fiduciary responsibilities. This is like a shareholders' derivative suit against a for profit corporation. If one or more members want to do this, the appropriate jurisdiction to file such a suit in would probably be where the WBCCI is incorporated or where it's principal office is located. But this depends on specific state laws. This is a relatively new part of the law and I don't know how successful any such suits have been.

Such a suit would possibly result in the plaintiff(s) being expelled from the organization and then they would claim since you were no longer a member, you had no claim; your answer would be your claim occurred before the expulsion.

I just glanced at the many changes in the grievance procedure. I noticed the investigation was secret and it could be read that you couldn't disclose anything to a lawyer; that would probably fail in court, but just another complication. The bigger question is why all these changes? What is the motive?

A $20 increase means that at a certain number they come out even. I don't know the amount of members now, but if they have 5,000 at $55, they have membership income of $275,000. If they raise dues to $75, to earn $275,000, they need 3,667 members. If they are figuring to keep all their members, they would raise $100,000 more, but that is unlikely because they are losing members every year and a dues increase always causes a drop in membership. Someone can plug in the correct numbers to get more accurate break even point. A 36% raise is even more than my wife's health insurance is going up.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Hi All, I'm kind of new. My wife and I have owned our trailer (1971 sovereign) since 4/08. We love are trailer, we love camping and I love fixing it up. I have worked on old things all my life and restoring something that will last is a great feeling. If my first pickup had been Aluminum, I would probable still own it. We have been to Air Forum Rallies and had a great time. We joined the WBCCI in 08 and joined a Unit last April. We attended almost all of the rallies this year, had a great time and met some nice people. I like all the folks that I have met and don't want to hurt anyones feelings....but I am having problems with reading everybody complaining over and over is getting to be to much and someone need to speak the truth. My wife and I are 48, most of the WBCCI are much older. I looked at the photo albums from the past at a rally this year and in the past, they had a great time. The events were family oriented. Games, cookouts, picnics. The average age was much younger. It looked like they used to have a blast! Lets be honest.....old people don't eat breakfast (well maybe toast or a muffin), they don't drink much (anymore), and they go to bed early. That what happens, you slow down when you get older.

My wife and I have two kids in college. Going on a Caravan is not something we can do right now, but when I read about Caravans in the past, across Europe or Africa, wow what an adventure.....That is something I would like to do some day. When I read about the Caravans that happen every year in the Blue Beret, it gives me something to dream about. I want to do that some day! I want to caravan to Alaska or across Canada or to New Foundland. To go across the south and see things and go to places I have never seen. To see those places on a slow pace would be awesome. To stay off the interstates, to drive the state routes, see the country and met the people. To have someone who has been there before share their experience, so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel.

I think the part you all (the complainers) are missing is....If you all wait for the old timers you keep complaining about to go away, the opportunity to do the Caravans will go away too. To be frank; If you are in your 40's or 50's, a problem that is 30 or 40 years older than you, won't be a problem for much longer. So don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

If you go to a Rally and your the youngest person their... go to another till someone else who is not a member of AARP shows up. My wife and I camp a lot, it is so cool to show up at a rally and not be the only shiny trailer in the campground. To meet another person who loves their old trailer as much as you do. To help each other with questions about repairs or restorations. That happens at Air Forum Rallys and when those same people show up at a WBCCI Rally it happen there too. We should not let the history of the WBCCI get away. Hang out, have fun and wait.

I don't understand the National Election Process, it is Un-American to have an election were only one person and one point of view runs. I feel having two people run and publishing their qualifications and their vision for the club would go a long way to making things better. The election process should change. It is something to work for, but we should not let a great thing die. Hang out, have fun and wait.
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #39
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I received a very heated email after posting this.

So yes the ANICIENTS are reading this thread.

Two choices Start a new club, not so quick or simple.

Second - start a legal defense fund and litigate these issues.

I spoke to an attorney he said a good firm can be found for a starting a law suit for about a retainer of $10K, with the fees expected to reach $50K over 18 months or so.

The fiscal responsibility claim would be enough to get some one appointed to overlook the spending pending the litigation.

A fund could be set up on line quickly thru Paypal.

With the number of WBCCI members and Air Forum members it would be well within reach to get a war chest.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
If, a big if

If it does go to $75, there is only one way I will remain a member. That is, only if the extra $20 goes to the local unit! Anything other than that, and I'm out of the club I love so dear - not an idle threat.. just a fact. So, we'll see come Winter IBT where the balls lands.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote