Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Paul -- when you sent your note out to Region presidents, IBT, etc., did you hear anything back from anyone? There were a few IBT members who voted down the latest version of the motion, the one that was sent out to the units. I wonder if they wouldn't be helpful in pursuing a response to this.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
... There were a few IBT members who voted down the latest version of the motion, the one that was sent out to the units. I wonder if they wouldn't be helpful in pursuing a response to this. -J
Does anyone know which IBT members voted against, and which ones voted for, the motorhome motion that will be submitted to the Delegates? Does anyone know how to find out that information? I am interested in learning how my Region 11 Prez voted, as well as learning the identitiy of my IBT heroes.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Can anyone speak English on this? I was reading the most recent Beret and there was an interesting editorial from the International President.
Qualifying criteria for membership in the WBCCI are detailed in its Constitution. IMHO they are currently a mess as they have been modified ad hoc to accomodate changing needs over the years. Constitutions are intended to be rather difficult to change.

To change the constitution, you need to specify what you are going to change and what is to be changed (this is what Paul got excited about - but I think a bit early). Then it has to be put in front of the membership and a proper vote taken. It usually takes what is called a super majority to be accepted.

The MoHo issue is an attempt to change the membership qualifications such as to allow non Airstream brand RV owners to be accepted as regular members of the WBCCI. The idea to allow a Thor brand, Airstream's parent company, and to be selective in makes or models is, I think, a means to try to rationalize this idea as being only a small divergence as if a small divergence is OK while a larger one isn't. It's intended to be a small hole to allow current Airstream RV MoHo owners to be able to upgrade and keep up with the latest and greatest Moho, even if Airstream doesn't make them anymore, yet remain a member.

This is similar to the change to allow those who retired from RVing with their Airstreams to remain members. To me it is trying to use appeasement in order to promote membership quanitity.

I think what I see here is a continuing trend of jumping to conclusions that aren't quite warranted. Despite allegations to the contrary, there is a process in place and it is being followed. Despite Paul's post, the motion is not yet before the membership but is early in the process of its being formed. He has some good information that will likely be incorporated into the wording as the process continues. One should never underestimate the opposition as that can lead to unpleasant surprises.

You have, on the other hand, folks in this thread who have flaunted the policy of the WBCCI and brag about it. You have folks who, instead of educating others and leading them to understand the importance of these issues are creating enemies and labeling themselves as cranks to be ignored.

The fact is that the classic Airstream trailer is only one of several facets of the WBCCI identity. It is the one currently under the microscope but that does not mean other parts of that identity should be ignored or weakened. What I see here appears to me, though, to be doing just that. It is too bad because it taints the advocacy.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
It takes a lot of training to be able to work within RRNR and I have to believe that just a handful in that room can walk the walk.

That's why the Delegates Meeting is the most DANGEROUS aspect of our club.
The need for the existance of rules of procedure has absolutely nothing to do with delegates. Nor does it take much training to be able to function effectively in an assembly that accepts RRNR as the parlimentary authority. And the allegations about the use of RRNR in the name change issue are totally bogus as well - I know because it only took a few minutes of assistance to our delegate to keep straight on that.

No matter what kind of assembly you have to iron out a concensus, you will have to have some rules of procedure in order to make sure the minority is heard and that improper arm twisting is minimized and that the proceedings are fair to all. RRNR is so widely adopted because it has been shown to reduce abuse in meetings, improve efficiency, and promote fairness and effectiveness of group decision.

The first thing you have to do when you want to solve a problem is to make sure you are solving the right problem!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Reasons for timing

Bryan,

Not real sure why you think I was "excited a bit early". I am just presenting the "FACTS" as they stand based on the what was sent by HQ before April 1(via the WBCCI Constitution) to the Unit Presidents to have their members vote on. Again, based on the "C&B" chairman Max Carmichael, Article and Section numbers and wording to be striked "NEEDED" to be included in the proposed amendment. By showing the "IBT" their "mistake" at this in the process, it will give them time to remove it for a vote. If they can have a special meeting between March 16-18, have Max look it over again and have HQ print, stuff and mail out letters before April 1 (Got mine March 30) I would think they have time to get info about the problem. Now one can debate if they will follow the rules as they stand, follow their own history and kill this thing now or strike it down at the summer IBT Delegates meetings. When I sent the letter to them, I did not think for one minute and still do, they would do what "should" be done.

I also don't understand your line "Despite allegations to the contrary, there is a process in place and it is being followed. Despite Paul's post, the motion is not yet before the membership but is early in the process of its being formed. He has some good information that will likely be incorporated into the wording as the process continues. One should never underestimate the opposition as that can lead to unpleasant surprises."

The motion has been sent out, can the wording of the proprosed "Articles and Sections" be changed at the meeting, Yes. Can the wording be changed to the ones they "forgot"? No, not based on history and the head of the "C&B" own wording in his letter. What I do find of interest is you last line about "unpleasant surprises". That tell's me you don't trust them to play by the rules either?? I on the other hand, play by the rules with my cards facing outward. Facts are Facts, rules are rules, right is right and wrong is wrong. If they want to cheat, mislead and change the facts and rules as they go along, that's there biz.

Much like the way I'm teaching my five year old daughter, if when playing a game, "If you cheat or change the rules to fit your need to win, don't be surprised if the other person leaves the game and goes home".
Old 04-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Here's the skinny,

In the "WBCCI Constitution" there are "two" areas that spell out the "NEED" to own a "recreational vehicle manufacture by Airstream". One is in the area under "Qualifications of Membership" the other (which they forgot) is under "Club Organization". In their "rush" to get this Amendment passed against the will of the members, they "forgot" the second area under "Club Organization" also, being this is part to the "WBCCI Constitution" they cannot change it willie-nillie, if it were in the "By-Laws" they could.

Also, in the "By-Laws" it states that a person owning a "non-Airsrteam" can attend one(1) rally and that has to be a "buddy rally". The reason this rule was put in place was because they "WBCCI" "did not" want members selling their Airstreams and buying an "SOB" and still coming to rallies. Since the "By-Laws" cannot be "inconsistent" with the "WBCCI Constitution" they cannot say one thing and the Constitution another. Questions???
This works! Thank you for taking the time to explain this. Sorry guys but my work life and personal tastes do not gravitate towards being a black belt in the Robert Rules of Order. I'm glad someonie around here enjoys that stuff

Me....I just want to go camping in our AS
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Brilliant analogy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Much like the way I'm teaching my five year old daughter, if when playing a game, "If you cheat or change the rules to fit your need to win, don't be surprised if the other person leaves the game and goes home".
That just about sums it up...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

I got a response from a member of the IBT.

As many of you know, I sent a letter to the members of the "IBT", Region Prez's and Unit Presidents of Region 2. It was the first post of this thread. On Weds. the 4th, I got a response from "Robert Thompson" "Region 1 President". I asked Bob in a follow-up email, if I could post his reply's back on the different forums. I would first like to "Thank Bob" for his response, I promised Bob the reply's would be posted in full, no editing. His responses give me hope. I also got a response back from another member and I get the feeling it is thought "the people who do most of the traveling for the club perfer motorhomes" and that we the trailering people need to step up to the plate and offer our services(volunteer) more than we do. I will have to agree, we (the members) need to volunteer as much as we possibly can. We cannot leave it up to someone else to do all the work. If you have not hosted a rally, do so. If you have not signed up to become an officer of a Unit, do so. If you think you can help with different WBCCI functions, services, etc..., do so. You can never have to many people asking if they can help. With that said, below is the responses from Mr. Thompson and my response back to him.

Again, I want to "THANK YOU" Robert Thompson, Region 1 President for your response.

Weds 4/4/07 5:55am

Hello Paul,
By admentment No. 1, It is assumed you are referring to the "Motion No 1.
While you may well be correct in your evaluation of the Motion You are incorrect about it being proposed by the IBT. The IBT voted on the contents of a motion submitted to the IBT by the region 12 Pre4sident, but did NOT vote to "submit" it to the Delegates. Although every motion that comes before the IBT has some form of action taken on it, not every motion that passes is "submitted" to the Delegates. The WBCCI Constitution states that the IBT can "submit" amendments to the Delegates, but the IBT must vote to "submit" a motion to the Delegates, otherwise it is simply a motion that has passed the IBT.
Now I know that there those who will say the it is assumed or understood that the motion would go to the Delegates, but that is not the same as voting to do so. Think I’m wrong, maybe, but lawyers would have a field day with this.
Anyway one looks at the motion, it creates more problems then it solves.
1. May not even be valid - of course, the Parliamentarian ruled that the motion was on, but did NOT rule about the need for the IBT to vote to "submit" it to the Delegates, nor did the constitution and By-Laws Committee Chairman.
2. The motion does not address the Rally and Caravan part of the constitution as to RV’s manufactured by Airstream (as per your message)/
3. It creates a problem with some Airstream Parks that have Constitutions and By-Laws that only permit Airstream owners to use their facilities and, since some of those Airstream Parks are not under WBCCI control, their rules may not change to allow Four-Winds motorhomes.
4. It will allow the owners of any model and any year (even very old ones) Class-A Motorhome manufactured by Four-Winds to be eligible for membership - of course, this could be corrected, but would call for another amendment by the Delegates. Contrary to some statements, the IBT can not establish a "labeling (airstream Edition or WBCCI addition)" as this would be a change to the "Qualification for membership" part of the constitution and thus an issue for the Delegates to decide.

FIRST LET ME SAY WE (THE CLUB) HAVE A PROBLEM THAT NEEDS TO BE SOLVED. We, as a club, admitted the motorhomes into our club and now that Airstream no longer manufactures them, we (the club) needs to come up with a fair solution for those motorhome owners,
.So with all this in mind Paul, you have my ear. What is your solution to the problem that those motorhome owners in our club face. How about it Paul, Having read your blogs; your Forum messages; and your e-mail messages - all negative - tell me what your solution is. And while you are at it, please explain to me the difference between a German company manufacturing a B-Van and putting an Airstream label on it and Four-Winds doing the same. Please explain why one is ok and is admitted to the club and the other is not.
If you answer any of the above, please bear in mind that I voted no on the motion and that my region has my ear and they will tell me how to vote on this and future issues. It is my duty and responsibility to be fair and balanced. Although I voted no, I believe my Region 1 President’s report on the Motorhome Issue to the region members was fair and balanced.
Hope to receive your input soon as I am sure many others will take exception to part or all of this message. But that is good as we can get all aspects of the issue on the table and, hopefully, reach an accord for the good of the club..
Robert E. Thompson II
Region 1 President

Thur 4/5/2007 12:56pm

Mr. Thompson,
Before I respond, I'd first like to take the chance to "THANK YOU" "SO MUCH" for responding to my email about the Amendment/Motion. I and
many others wished more members of the IBT would have responded to questions/thoughts/feelings and even ideas about how to resolve the
issues that are before the WBCCI membership in regards to allowing another brand of RV into the currently "Airstream" manufactured only club.
Also, may I add, I have not forwarded your response of my email to the different forums on the web. I would rather have your permission to do so, because
you bring up some good points that members opposed to this issue have not even talked about and I think it would be good for members to
know your thoughts and feelings on the issue. So, I'll ask the question, may I forward your response to me and the other Region 2 Units Presidents
and IBT officers? It would be forwarded, in it's entirety, no editing.
Again, Thank YOU!! for your response.
In regards to your reply, the reason why I used the term "Amendment No. 1" is because that is the way it is worded in the information sent to the
Unit Presidents. No where, did the paperwork use the term "Motion". Also, in regards to whom proposed the "Amendment No. 1" again, the wording in the
paperwork sent out to the Unit Presidents said, "Proposed by: International Board of Trustees". I was only quoting the wording that was sent
in the paperwork to the Unit Presidents. If this wording is incorrect, then it even further makes my point.
I think, like many, current motorhome owners should be "grandfathered" into the club. I don't think anyone wants to force these members out of the club. "Grandfathering"
with an "Associate" class of membership would temporarily open the club to any current motorhome-owning member who purchases another brand
of Class A motorhome in the future. Of course, it would limit membership benefits much like is done currently in the "Members at Large" category.
My thought would be something like the following:
ARTICLE VI
QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERSHIP
Sec. 5
Associate Member A member in good standing in the WBCCI as of 12/31/2007 and who owns an Airstream, Inc. Class A motorhome as of 12/31/2007 and whom is a Life Member of the WBCCI, has the option of purchasing a different manufactured Class A motorhome other than Airstream, Inc. An applicant for Associate Member upon written application to International Headquarters, as set by the International Board of Trustees, shall be an Associate Member of the International Club. An Associate Member shall possess all the rights and privileges of the club, except the right to vote or hold office in an Intra Club, a Unit, a Region or in the International Club.
ARTICLE XI
CLUB ORGANIZATION
Sec. 3
The minimum number of members necessary to obtain or retain a Charter shall be ten (10). All rules, regulations and qualifications for a Unit Charter shall be fixed and Determined by the Board of Trustees, and upon granting a Unit Charter, assign such Unit a name. All Units shall hold not less than two (2) assembled rallies each year at which members attend with their recreational vehicles describe in accordance with Article VI of the Constitution.

By giving current motorhome owners this option, they could help with, plan, implement and host rallies, caravans, special event rallies, etc... just as they do today. Under this
method, they can buy "what ever" brand they want and keep doing what they have been doing, expect holding office and voting just like the "Members at Large". If anything,
they have it better than a "Regular Member", Regular Members, still have to buy/own the most expensive RV's made in the industry.
As for the difference between the B-Van and a Four Winds. The B-Van is brought into the Airstream plant and is "uplifted" by Airstream, Inc. for sale in the
USA. Plus. the Airstream B-Van is "Sold, Serviced, Warranted and covered for Liability by Airstream, Inc. and their dealers", Four Winds has none of these
things done to or for it by Airstream, Inc.
Also, I'm sorry that my emails and such came off as negative. I was just expressing "my" views on this subject. If you remember, the very first email I sent, to the
IBT and the Unit Presidents back in January and my very first response on any forums or blog, I suggested "grandfathering". I think, one will find, if my suggestion
of "removing the current" Amendment/Motion that is currently in front of us and next year coming back with what I proposed above, I think it will have no problem passing
the membership. I would like to see this issue get resolved quickly so we as a club can get back to work on the "needed" changes in terms of image that needs to
happen to make this club grow. One does not have to spend much time to find out why younger members are not staying members and joining. I suggest to everyone,
look at the Units in the WBCCI that are growing, ask what they are doing, there you will find the answers to the reasons why the WBCCI is loosing members. I know
changes cannot/will not happen over night. But, if we give younger people a reason to join and if they do, two things will happen. The new younger members will keep the
older members younger longer and the older members can pass down to the younger members the history and memories of the "Oldest RV Club" in the USA. I think
this club is worth saving and will fight to pass it down to my five year old daughter. She has been a member since she was born and I hope will be until the day she dies.
I hope this answered your questions. I again, "Thank You" for your ear. I'm one that not only "talks the talk" but I'll "walk the walk". I am doing the very best I can to
help the WDCU/WBCCI grow. I will do, what I can, to help any and all units in the WBCCI. I hope you will allow me to forward you responses. Members need to see
that you (Bob and the IBT) are open to suggestions. As you know, right now, they don't. We as the leadership of this club need to change this feeling quickly or
we will continue to loose more and more members. Hope this helps, let me know. I look forward to your response and the other members of the Leadership.

Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")

Thur 4/5/2007 2:40pm

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your comments, they are well received. Your suggested solution has merit and should be given consideration.
You have my permission to "publish" my comments on this matter so long as they are ‘published" in their entirety and without editing. Please include a copy of "Region 1 President’s Report on the Motorhome Issue" which was published in the various Unit newsletters of Region 1. It is important that the membership understand the issue in a fair and balanced way. My Region Executive Board is kept informed of my actions and I have no objection if others are aware of how we do things in Region 1.
Having received many, many e-mails, I see four "camps" on this issue.
Camp one is the group that owns motorhomes . they are concerned that their "way of life" in the cdlub could disappear. We, the Club, need to find a solution and that could well be yours. It is hoped that those being copied on this message will putforth some comment on this.
Camp two are at the other end of the issue. They want nothing but Airstreams in the club. And feel that, if the motorhome needs to be replaced,, then buy an Airstream trailer or B-Van. The ironic part of this is that airstream is manufacturing an Airstream motorcycle for someone. Now, since that is an Airstream product and technically an RV, they would be eligible for membership right now under the current Constitution See how easy it is to open Pandora’s Box.
Camp three are those who do NOT care what brand of RV, just so they can get together and have fun. - One of my units is of this thinking. And the Past President of another unit advocates that we should also modify the Condstitution to provide for trailer ownersto purchase other brands of trailers under certain conditions.
Camp four are those who just don’t care, one way or the other.
Each of these camps has a large following and what we need to do is bring them together or the club will end up being divided.
Do you know that, out of all the e-mail I have received, only three were for the motorhomes. And two of them stated that they would go back to trailers. The third,hasmade statements that it is a "Membership" issue and not a "product issue".
Enough said.
Bob

Below, Bob's Region 1 report, copied from "savewally.org"

REGION 1 PRESIDENT’S REPORT ON CLASS-A MOTORHOME ISSUE

On Saturday, June 30, 2007, the annual Delegates Meeting of WBCCI will be held in Perry, GA. Unit Presidents will receive an Agenda with copies of motions to be presented to the Delegates Meeting during April. This report provides background on the Class A motorhome motion to be brought forward at the Delegates Meeting. It is urgent that each unit’s members understand the issue and provide appropriate direction to their delegate with respect to action at the Delegates Meeting.

In October 2007, the International President, Don Shafer, formed a special Class-A Motorhome Study Committee with Dick Bartram as Chairman. This action was taken because the Airstream Company had announced that it was discontinuing manufacture of Class-A motorhomes and such action could have an impact on the Club’s membership.

At the Mid-Winter IBT Meeting at Perry in January 2007, Dick Bartram presented the Study Committee’s Report. Dick & Eileen Bartram, Don & Ann Shafer and Jerry & Marilyn Collins had attended the 2006 RVIA Exhibition in Louisville, and had reviewed the Four Winds and Damon product lines of Thor. The Report recommended amendment of the WBCCI Constitution to make owners of certain Four Winds or Damon Class-A motorhomes eligible for membership in WBCCI. The Report resulted in Motion “A” to be presented under New Business.

Motion “A” proposed to direct the Study Committee to develop a motion to be presented to the Delegates Meeting, to allow owners of six specific Class-A motorhomes manufactured by the Four Winds Division of Thor to be members of WBCCI. The motion was presented to the members of the IBT in an open meeting and discussion followed, both pro and con. The Region 1 President, Robert Thompson, moved to strike the motion and substitute a motion by which the IBT would initiate an amendment to the WBCCI Constitution to be presented to the Delegates Meeting in June 2007, to make owners of Class-A motorhomes manufactured by the Four Winds Division of Thor eligible for membership in WBCCI. This motion was passed 18-0 in favor of its substitution. The “new” main motion then passed 18-0 in favor of submitting it to the Delegates Meeting.

The above motion was later deemed “incomplete” by the Constitution and Bylaws Committee Chairman and sent back to the IBT, because the motion did not specify the specific Article(s) and Section(s) of the Constitution to be amended. As a result of this action, the International President called an Emergency IBT Meeting to address the situation.

The Emergency IBT meeting was conducted during the third week of March 2007 and a “new” Motion No. 1, with its rationale, was presented by the Region 12 President. Discussion followed by exchange of e-mail. The discussions included detailed rationales pro and con by some region presidents and by the International 2nd VP, who also questioned some of the data in the factual basis of the Rationale for the Motion. Those favoring the motion emphasized the problems long-time members face with maintenance of aging motorhomes, the social importance of keeping long-time members, and the potential costs of a shrinking membership. Those opposed to the motion expressed concern about undermining the “single-brand” nature of the club and, in that respect, permitting owners of used Four Winds motorhomes to be members; and also expressed concern that the IBT had not resolved requirements for ‘badging” (labeling units as, for example, “Airstream Edition”) the membership eligibility of Four Winds motorhomes.

Electronic voting took place from Noon March 16th to Noon March 17th. The vote reported by the Secretary of the IBT was: 15 for, 2 against and 1 abstention (one member of the IBT could not be reached). Region 1 was recorded against the motion.

As the issue now stands, Delegates will be asked to address the issue at the Delegates Meeting on June 30, 2007 in Perry. Their decision will determine if owners of Four Winds motorhomes will or will not be admitted to membership in the club. And, of course, the Delegates can change, modify, or amend the motion at their pleasure or as guided by their units’ preferences. An officer of Region 1 plans to attend the Spring Business Meeting of each U.S. unit in Region 1, and to respond to members’ questions.

Respectfully submitted,
Bob
Robert E. Thompson II
Region 1 President

There you have it, as promised. See ya down the road!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Paul,

I am so glad that you received a response to your letter. I am afraid that so many of the IBT and Region officers thinks that this is just a bunch of complainers. Bob's response does hold out hope and your reply gave some alternatives, which he would have found if he dug deeper into the posts here. I think that the IBT and Region officers don't understand that all of the members want a thriving WBCCI, it is just that there are many different ways of improving it. Not liking the current direction does not mean that we want to tear WBCCI down, we want a healthy growing organization, which needs change and change is difficult.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Paul, thank you for your action and letter to the IBT and thank you for posting the results. I think it is great that you as an involved unit president first sent out your letter and secondly that you received a comprehensive response from Robert Thompson, Region 1 President. I wish to offer my thanks to him as well. We need more of this and I think it is a huge step forward. You established dialog and with communication there will be less frustration. This can only be a good thing. I don't think in light of the past this is any small accomplishment, and I think it speaks well of the character and commitment of you both. I hope you two have opened the way for more to see fit to follow your lead. I find it very encouraging. Thank you.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
I get the feeling it is thought "the people who do most of the traveling for the club perfer motorhomes" and that we the trailering people need to step up to the plate and offer our services(volunteer) more than we do.
This one is, I think, at the core of the issue.

It appears to me that large MoHo's are the RV of choice for most of the serious full timers. That indicates a different set of values and preferences compared to those who choose TT's.

The strength of an organization like WBCCI is in its shared values and preferences. When these are more difuse, the organization is weaker.

What WBCCI faces now is the delimma of determining what values and preferences are most important to the membership. If the organization does not maintain discrimination in its values its identity will suffer and membership will decline.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
The IBT was completely irresponsible in its duties to this club with these actions. They call that dereliction of duty -- that's what we're dealing with here...
This is a special interest motion that would not have survived the trip from an individual, past a unit, past a region, and on to us. There was no study -- there was a head count AFTER the direction was already given to go find a MOTOR HOME for current and NEW members. To fulfill the requirements of the WBCCI!...
I expect my leaders to protect the club that we've all joined. ...They don't have an Airstream in their future!...
I think these are serious considerations that every member in the club should be cognizant of. It is up to club members to proactively work towards having a leadership that best represents their interest as members and the benefit the WBCCI. I believe change has to occur.

photography
Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
We need more of this and I think it is a huge step forward. You established dialog and with communication there will be less frustration. This can only be a good thing.
I agree with you here, Carol. It is important to remember the each of us has a responsibility in this. That is why it is so distressing to see so many who don't even bother to talk to people before they castigate them. That is almost as irresponsible as attacking the person rather than discussing their ideas and issues.

All you have to do is to attend rallies, pick up the phone, write a letter, and listen.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
I agree with you here, Carol. It is important to remember the each of us has a responsibility in this. That is why it is so distressing to see so many who don't even bother to talk to people before they castigate them. That is almost as irresponsible as attacking the person rather than discussing their ideas and issues.

All you have to do is to attend rallies, pick up the phone, write a letter, and listen.
Brian,

Yeah but, it would be nice to receive a response to your letter or an acknowledgement that your letter was received.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
This one is, I think, at the core of the issue.

It appears to me that large MoHo's are the RV of choice for most of the serious full timers. That indicates a different set of values and preferences compared to those who choose TT's.

The strength of an organization like WBCCI is in its shared values and preferences. When these are more difuse, the organization is weaker.

What WBCCI faces now is the delimma of determining what values and preferences are most important to the membership. If the organization does not maintain discrimination in its values its identity will suffer and membership will decline.
And I agree with you here Byan but I have a different opinion on your comment that all one has to do is go to the rallies, pick up the phone, write a letter and listen. That is where alot of breakdown has occurred, which makes Paul's effort and Bob's response a monumental step in the right direction.

The course of doing no harm was and has been pursued but without results. Sometimes it takes a real rebel rouser to offset the passivity and established norm when lessor actions render unresponsiveness.

There exists an imbalance and to counter the imbalance you may have to swing way out the other direction to eventually reach the middle.

photography
Old 04-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Jim Elmlinger response.

Here is a copy of "Jim Elmlinger" response. Posted as is, no edits. I will be replying to his email later today or Sunday. I will post it here.

Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez

April 5, 2007
This began originally as part of a response that I wrote to a blog
posting by an "Art and Carol" that was forwarded to me, but that I
have been unable to get back to the party of origin, due to some form
of email malfunction technicality. However, it does address the
"Grandfathering" issue to some degree, as well as some of the other
misnomers that seem to keep popping up.
Unfortunately, Art and Carol represent the blind leading the blind.
They are very ill informed and are basically taking their own
personal philosophy and attempting to "spin" it into fact. They even
write about the problems they have had with an Airstream motorized
Class-A product in one part of their missive and in the next say that
everyone else should be able to easily keep their old Class-A’s
running. I believe that kind of statement(s) is referred to today as
an oxymoron. They also come to expound on the longevity of Class-A
motorhomes, but yet they found out the same thing that all Class-A
owners know and that is in general the life expectancy is shorter
than that of a trailer, as they are far more complex a product and
therefore far more can and will go wrong with them. Art and Carol
appear to have been willing to go to any length to remain a part of
the Club. Why? Could it be the people and not the product after all
since they did not seem to care what they owned, as long as it said
Airstream on it? Now will everyone choose this same course? No!
Many will not have the option for a number of reasons and, like it or
not, we cannot afford to accelerate our membership loss rate and
expect the Club to survive, as we know it today.
The Special Motorhome Committee considered "Grandfathering" and there
are many reasons why it is not really a viable option and it is not
well thought out. If we tried "Grandfathering" Airstream would not
be happy to the tune of a 6 figure monetary subsidy being withdrawn.
That would be a very devastating financial blow to our Club. Like it
or not we have ties to not only Airstream, Inc., but to Thor
Industries, Airstream, Inc. owner. Do you really think that Thor is
going to just stand by and allow Airstream, Inc. to continue that
kind of subsidy, plus other support if we allow their competitor’s
products into WBCCI, for whatever the reasons or time frame.
Corporate reality says, NO WAY! This is only one of many problems.
What you are suggesting would make Class-A owners second-class
citizens, with no other options. MAL’s can join a Unit. Most of
those currently owning Class-A motorhomes do so for health
considerations, so they do not really have any other option if they
want to keep on RVing. Paul, do you really think that a second-class
member, with no rights, is going to be motivated and have the same
enthusiasm as a "real member" to volunteer and work their hearts out
for the Club? Do you really think that Class-A motorhome members are
going to relate well to such a magnanimous offer to basically become
lackeys for the "real" members of the Club? I think not, that is
just not a part of human nature! You want to tell Life-Members they
are now, not really Life-Members. If you do that then the Club had
better be prepared to start hiring attorneys, as they will be suing
to recover their money that they put down in good faith to be life
long members, only to now have the rug jerked out from underneath
them. Segregation will not build fun and fellowship and it will most
certainly not build a strong vibrant Club. Today the Club is built
really by word of mouth and disenfranchising 20% of the membership
will not help our main form of gaining new members. Just as loosing
20 % plus of the membership will not help. Remember, that when this
20% loss is combined with our current rate of attrition (6% per year
and climbing) this will work out to be a catastrophic loss in the
range of 33 to 50% in the next 3 to 5 years. When this happens the
Club will be out of business, as we know it today. You absolutely
will not have anything to be proud of.
This motion came out of a special committee created by the
International President to meet an emergency situation brought on by
Corporate Airstream’s announcement of their getting out of the Class-
A motorhome business. We, the WBCCI membership, had no warning that
Airstream Corp. was going to cease production of the Class-A
motorhomes. Unfortunately, Airstream Inc’s. decision inadvertently
exacerbated our already serious problem of yearly eroding membership
and basically putting our collective backs to the wall, by running
us, the Club, out of time. We lost any cushion that we may have had
in addressing the issues of membership, which the Club has been doing
to cut the attrition rate. If you think there are complaints now
about how quickly the IBT has moved on this issue, just image how
much worse it would be if we had not and let the Club fail. If we,
the IBT, did not act quickly, thereby letting the Club fail, then we
would have been negligent and irresponsible. Unfortunately time is
of the essence, which necessitated a quick response. In the time it
would take to try and do what Art and Carol think should have been
done the Club would have failed. Also, due to the constant
fluctuation in membership and type of unit ownership it is impossible
to ever arrive at absolute numbers, they would always be a best
estimate, which is what we have today. The IBT gets all of the
flack, but remember in the end, contrary to what Art and Carol may
think and say, it comes down to the members making the decision and
taking the responsibility for that decision when they vote. The IBT
has met its responsibility to the membership by putting forth a
positive and workable motion that will allow the Club to continue to
survive, and even then the work will be far from being over, when it
comes to keeping the Club strong and viable. We can ill afford to
"fiddle while Rome is burning."
Maybe its time for those doing all of the complaining to take on more
of the leadership roles, such as Region and International Officers,
Rally chairmanships and get better informed and more involved. I
guarantee you that I would have no problem sharing the load or giving
it entirely to anyone who wants it and would welcome them with open
arms. So, "come on down!" Also, of note, is that at the National
Hobo Rally this year, in answer to a question from the audience, we
found that 48 out of the 88 rally chairmen, or 55%, owned Class-A
motorhomes, which is very disproportionate to the 20% overall
ownership. For the Rose Parade Rally, which admittedly takes a lot
less volunteers, the number rises to 90% of ALL of the volunteer
workers.
We always come back to the same point and it is choices; members
versus product, i.e. a vibrant Club with many actualities across the
U.S. and Canada, or fragmented pockets of individual Airstream
owners, who will be lamenting about how great it used to be when the
"Club" had more MEMBERS and activities. These are the choices that
you, the membership, are being called on to responsibly consider.
Heaven help you if you make the wrong choice and it all disappears.
Also, Paul, you allude to the "magical" answer(s) of how to recruit
younger members. I strongly suggest that you write a book on this,
because it will be second only to the Harry Potter series in
popularity, as everybody who is involved with organizations in the
U.S., and most likely the world, has been waiting years for this
information. I do not believe that your statements about the
potential younger members are at all realistic, as I see no current
basis for this. If my understanding is correct the Units that you
allude to, do not appear to do so much beyond their Unit’s sphere of
travel. The Club has tried a number of things to increase membership
and we all talk about planning / updating things to attract younger
members. Well younger members do not have the time nor the
inclination to join no matter what we do. You may disagree, but ALL
organizations in the U.S. share the same national stat and that is
younger people are NOT joining ANY organization, not just WBCCI.
These are the demographics that we must face, again, like it or not
they exist. Last year’s stats seem to real bring this home, as only
around 8% of non-WBCCI members purchasing an Airstream choose to join
the Club or over 90% of the non-WBCCI member Airstream purchasers
chose not to join our organization.
It has been my experience at a number of levels involving the
organization and putting on different events that the young people in
our Club, at this point in their lives still work and may even have
young families, so they really do not have the time to devote to
volunteering to make these events happen. Yes, there are individual
exceptions, and I am personally thankful to them. This also does not
in any way mean that they do not volunteer at all when they come to
an event, it just means they do what they can for the time they are
present. One case in point would be our International Rally and the
time commitment it takes. Going back to the stats for the Hobo Rally
listed above, very few, if any, of the Class-A motorhome driving
chairmen are young or newer members. If the membership chooses to
alienate, disenfranchise or force out the 20% of our membership that
are Class-A members, who appear to, percent wise, volunteer
disproportionately more than the average, I can guarantee that the
National Rally will become immediate history (this should not be
taken as just rhetoric or a threat, but just a cold hard and
extremely unpleasant fact). (By the way, many of these Class-A
motorhome driving chairman have been asking and looking for years for
replacements, but they (fortunately for us) also keep telling us "IF
YOU CAN’T FIND ANYONE ELSE WE WILL DO IT AGAIN.") I believe this
also applies to our International Rally chairmen. I also want to
make it clear that YES!, we do need more members, younger, older or
in between, and they all need to be welcomed, but targeting just one
area (younger members) will absolutely not do it. We are already
recruiting new and younger members Paul, but the problem is that we
are losing members faster than we are able to recruit them, just like
every other major club or fraternal organization in the U.S., and
also, contrary to your statement, the primary reason we are losing
membership (a wopping -32%) is due to health related issues, with our
not having any control over an additional -16%. Don Shafer writes in
his most recent article, the membership needs to seriously consider
and evaluate what will be in the best long-term interest of the
membership (Club), i.e., because no members, no WBCCI. This issue is
about membership, not product!
This may be posted anywhere you like, as long as it is posted in
total and unedited.

Jim Elmlinger, wbcci #3296
Region XII President '05-'07

Moderator note: I have removed personal contact (phone, address, etc) info from this message.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
1992 29' Excella
1976 25' Tradewind
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
Anacortes , Washington
Paul,

Thank you for posting Jim Elmlinger's reply to my message to you. As soon as I stop spitting nails I will have a response.

Carol (of Carol & Art)
WBCCI #12461

PS. Our email's in the directory.
wnew1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Who said," I would not join any club that would have me as a member"?
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
"Maybe its time for those doing all of the complaining to take on more
of the leadership roles, such as Region and International Officers,
Rally chairmanships and get better informed and more involved."

Can we really do this? How many positions are open? I think we can find volunteers. Can we campaign? That would be cool. Or does he mean volunteers from certain people that are in an "approved" status and brought in by the nominating committee?

Carol I read your letter on WBCCI forum and it was well written and your experience and dedication to Airstreaming was and is a real club asset. Welcome to the forum.

photography
Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #40
_

. , .
interesting letter in BLUE....

many points of agreement.

-finally someone openly admits the club feeds on the corporate teat....

-most paramilitary post war clubs are in decline...

however new paradigm clubs like the harley owners group are thriving.

-the big event (international) is at risk IF/with a huge loss in membership.

FANTASTIC! the international needs to stop! skip a year and reorganize with FUN as the theme.

most of the activites are (playing cards, teen queen, flag ceremony, cooking bag demos) well u decide

-a/s corp stopped making mohos and didn't warn the club? oh my no.....

the club wouldn't allow a/s mohos IN originally, so isn't this poetic now....

-lots of references to attracting younger members, does he realize this means under 65?

-the current crop of ibt folks and 'lifer volunteers' do most of the work...

i agree they've created, and fiercely hold onto useless trival self fabricated duties and titles and job descriptions....

cut, cut, cut, shovel, shovel shovel and find the essential kernel of the club identity.

when a 1 week event requires 600 volunteers and 4-6 weeks of onsite static....it's time 2 rethink it.

-finally someone admits MALs are second class, lackey citizens and not REAL members.

and the single largest segment of the club that has shown growth and a feeding line to the few good units.

of course there are lies and damn lies in the BLUE note too...

health as the PRIMARY reason for moho purchases,
the loss of ALL current moho members IF sobmohos aren't included,
the implication that life members be treated differently because they purchased time in bulk,
and that complainers cannot take action or lead.

the wbc has a group of members who want to be left alone and allowed to do as they have done;
play dominos, park on tarmac, and wear hats and ribbons.
i'm fine with that BUT they need to feed on their own money.

not mine, not corps, not sponsors, not on the uninformed a/s buyer and not on the rich history of the true airstream traveler...

anyone got a match?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote