Old 11-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Please Visit and See What's New and What you Might have Missed

Periodically there are updates to the Sierra Nevada Unit’s website. It is being done to share the history of Airstream, Caravans, WBCCI, Wally Byam and Helen Byam Schwamborn.

Most of the material comes from the Estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn. The information grows, grows and is still growing. Enjoy it! Most of what you will read and see is not available anywhere else. Not at Airstream, not at the WBCCI Headquarters, Airforums, SaveWally, and many other locations.

This is for Airstream owners, and the hundreds of thousand avid followers of the Airstream World.

We all must give our thanks to Diane Leipper who is constantly adding items of interest, and upgrading the format of the site.

Diane thank you so very much for the number one historical site for the Airstream life.

There will be more magazine ariticles, pictures, comments and personal stuff coming up.

Best to all of our friends,

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/index.html

10/29/08 - Vic Raney – 1965 WBCCI President
10/29/08 – comments on WBCCI membership
10/29/08 images from the 1965 Laramie Rally
11/1/08 – 1963 Wally Byam Store catalog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa 1959 Large Files (106).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	70646  

Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Dale is that the picture of Wally the badges are fashioned from? Is that in your home or at Headquarters? Have you considered adding more memorbilia and museum exhibits to headquarters?

I haven't seen Wally's books. Are they in the form of a journal? Or do they read like an adventure novel? Wouldn't it be cool to have a movie made not in documentary style but a theatrical one staged in period accuracy. They can give you a cameo when it snaps to date. Just who would you pick to play, Wally, Helen, you? That would be pretty cool.

Diane has always impressed me with her history she is keeping. With the addition of your archives it makes a very thorough representation.

You are going to have an experimental web blog on the site?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Books, Movies, and Blogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Dale is that the picture of Wally the badges are fashioned from? Is that in your home or at Headquarters? Have you considered adding more memorbilia and museum exhibits to headquarters?

I haven't seen Wally's books. Are they in the form of a journal? Or do they read like an adventure novel? Wouldn't it be cool to have a movie made not in documentary style but a theatrical one staged in period accuracy. They can give you a cameo when it snaps to date. Just who would you pick to play, Wally, Helen, you? That would be pretty cool.

Diane has always impressed me with her history she is keeping. With the addition of your archives it makes a very thorough representation.

You are going to have an experimental web blog on the site?
The emblem of Wally is a facsimile of this picture and other similar period photographs.

No, I will not be giving or adding my historical items to the headquarters. I will continue to add visual items to the Sierra Neveda Unit's website. In my will I have not decided where to leave the vast trove that I have. The first consideration is the historical society of Baker City, OR; The University of Oregon; Stanford University...once items are donated they need to be accessible.

Wally's writings are out of print. A few are offered of e-Bay at excessive prices. They aren't in journal form.

Movies are expensive, and Wally and my Mother certainly would be flattered to be so honored. It isn't practical and the audience is very limited. Last year an Australian production company probed doing a documentary on Wally for the PBS program American Experience. The project was dropped by American Experience.

Diane is wonderful to work with. She has a great sense of the materials I have been sending her from the Estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn. I hope that everyone that goes to the site appreciates the history.

I feel that a personal blog is not required. What I do with Diane suffices as a massive blog in the form of an accessable website.

Thank you for your interest.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jds (205).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	70718  
Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Pee Wee,
Who is the baby picture of?

Here's hoping your will is not acted upon for a long long time to come.

Have you rejected the facility in Elkhart Indiana (I think) ? Some sort of RV museum and historical society and Hall of Fame I believe. Some of our midwest members can surely fill me in with that. I am not sure why Elkhart is considered the cradle of the RV industry but apparently it is.

Also if you would and can, would you (perhaps in another thread) comment on John Hall who was/is reported to be a half-brother to Wally. Is Mr. Hall still living?
He left Airstream and started another RV company it is reported.
Lastly were you an employee of Airstream in 1973,74, or 75?

thanks
dd

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Baby Pee Wee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Pee Wee,
Who is the baby picture of?

Here's hoping your will is not acted upon for a long long time to come.

Have you rejected the facility in Elkhart Indiana (I think) ? Some sort of RV museum and historical society and Hall of Fame I believe. Some of our midwest members can surely fill me in with that. I am not sure why Elkhart is considered the cradle of the RV industry but apparently it is.

Also if you would and can, would you (perhaps in another thread) comment on John Hall who was/is reported to be a half-brother to Wally. Is Mr. Hall still living?
He left Airstream and started another RV company it is reported.
Lastly were you an employee of Airstream in 1973,74, or 75?

thanks
dd
I thought for a change of pace a baby picture of Pee Wee might break up the day.

The RV Hall of Fame is just a group of good ole boys patting themselves on the back. They do a nice job with what they have but they are the last group on my list.

John Hall was Stella Byam's son from her first marriage. He worked for Wally for a short periord of time in setting up the Jackson Center plant, and may have been the General Manager for a period of time for Wally Byam's Holiday product.

In the 50's I shared a few meals and beers with John.

After Holiday he became a supplier to Airstream. He made cylinder, stainless steel water tanks. Also he designed an sold monitor panels.

John also found and owned Revcon. I believe he had one more venture with another company he founded, I don't have the name.

I last talked to John about two years ago, the first time I had talked with him since Wally's funeral in 1962.

I went to work with Airstream in 1964 after leaving the Army and worked there until 1969. I left in 1969 to join Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corporation in Oakland, CA.

Best,

Pee Wee

The picture is taken at the Yugoslavian and Italian Border, 1960 Mother and son reunite. African Caravan meets European Caravan, and Helen and Dale hug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Helen and Dale Border Crossing 1960.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	70728  
Old 11-03-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Dale,

These personal mementos of the extended Byam family are a treasure. The fact that you are willing to share them with all of us shows that you are a generous man.

Thank You!
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #7

Wildomar , California
John Hall and Revcon

Pee Wee, I started work at Revcon as employee #018, March, 1971.
I knew John Hall and all the people in those early 'Revcon' days. I ran the paint shop for 3 years, fell in love with these old birds.

John was booted out by Lonnie Dunn et al, late 1971, then he started HallCoach across the 405 freeway in Fountain Valley, CA. He now lives in Oregon.

I own Revcon #71-0004, Kathy and I love our good old gal. (Direct dna lineage from Airstream!)

Thom Wessels
Old 01-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #8

Wildomar , California
PeeWee, please email me at thomwessels@yahoo.com to chat about the mutual contacts we apparently have!
Thom