Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Perks for WBCCI Officers

Want to know more? Have an opinion?

Go to the Member Suggestion Box in the Forums at WBCCI.org.
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
Want to know more? Have an opinion?

Go to the Member Suggestion Box in the Forums at WBCCI.org.

Been there, done that, wrote the book.....most suggestions filed in the circular file.

Forum posts too.

= another lost member.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Thanks for the chance to spout off. I doubt that many will bother to post, but for what it is worth, here is my reply:

I am one who believes that special parking and seating at International stinks. For that reason, among others, I don't expect to attend another International rally (have been to three). I am also a 40 year+ member of the Sports Car Club of America and have served on most of the committees as well as serving as region treasurer and president. I organized probably a hundred or so competitive events over the years (Races, rallies, solos etc.). I never got any perks that the plain old peon worker didn't get. Always paid my own hotel/motel at events, like everybody else. My organizing expenses, like gas for course layout of rallies and printing were reimbursed. When I had to attend an out of town committee meeting, a portion of my travel and living expenses were paid.

As I often told new members who complained about the cost of dues "If all you get from the club is the magazine, you are wasting your money. If you get active, the dues are just a drop in the bucket."

Even when I was a speaker at our national convention, I sat with everyone else. Only when a special meeting was being held, where the BOD or Committee was being asked questions, did we have special seating, up at the front of the room, facing the audience without any shielding.

Basically, all we got for being officials was the satisfaction of helping our fellow members.

jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Jimmickle, your viewpoint is really interesting. Thanks for posting.

Since we are all volunteers in WBCCI at some level, and usually the amount of time and volunteerism relates to the amount we get back from the club. The longer you are in the club and more you have volunteered, the more you have gotten in return through your experiences and friendships with other members. Any public, in-your-face kind of perks for officers seems a bit offensive to those who have volunteered as much and for as long a time, but at a lower rank. Maybe this is one of those things that some members think is militaristic about the club, and that we need to say goodbye to.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Perks

Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus - Cite This SourceMain Entry: perkPart of Speech: nounDefinition: benefitSynonyms: advantage, bonus, dividend, extra, fringe benefit, gratuity, lagniappe, largess, palm oil, perquisite, plus, tipSource: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)

I wouldn't think anyone would have a problem with reasonable accomodation for those serving the organization and returning value to the member. Reimburseing travel, etc. is a common practice in all kinds of organizations (private, commerical, for profit, and non-profit. Heck, even the government does it. But, they do have published guidelines and accountability mechanisms. In an organization like WBCCI, the challenge is that all members have/perceive they have the abilty to benefit/partake of these offered perks too!

What I get a sense in reading all those posts is that a significant (or at least a very vocal) portion of the organization feel like they are NOT being well served. I think ENRON and other scandals have reduced the average person's tolerance of grandiouse displays of privilege to those supposedly "representing" them. As welll, I think current political events have reduced our willingess to let others speak for us.

Leaders lead. That is what they do. However, they are only leaders IF they can get others to follow. If the vision, or its execution, are not compelling people will vote with their feet.

And, WBCCI is NOT the only show in town. Even if it were, people can (and have!) created alternatives that better meet their needs, wants, and expectations. The Club exists for the people. Not the other way around IMHO.

Can't remember who said it but I sometimes think of the,"I don't want to be part of any organization that would have ME as a member!"

I mean, there but by the grace of God....(or the votes of the members)...

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Any public, in-your-face kind of perks for officers seems a bit offensive to those who have volunteered as much and for as long a time, but at a lower rank. Quote

J --You don't have to be a long time volunteer to be offended by this flaunting of position. We experienced this at our first Rally when not only did they have there most desireable parking spaces , they also had front row reserved seating at all the entertainment. ---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I tried to post there, but the Reply To Topic just loops back to the compose box... so I'll put it here.

That's definitely a "them vs us little people" concept. It's a "tradition" from the days of segregation, not only of races, but social classes as well. What many today consider the dark ages are often still "the good old days" to the privileged class, and that's what we're talking here--privileges.

In another large organization we belong to, with similar age demographic, everyone wears the same black uniform, if they choose to do so. Rank insignia at the local unit, regional, and national level is distinguishable, but discrete. A merit is earned for a year of good service (not just for a year of membership, and must be substantiated) as recognition for work. This merit is worn modestly as a small black patch sewn on the black jacket sleeve. It's independent of rank or organizational level, recognizing the work done at the unit level is every bit as important as that at the national level. Why should only the work of WBCCI "leadership" be recognized?

This other organization goes out of its way to seat national, regional, and local unit officers amongst the membership at events such as conference dinners, entertainment, etc. The "senior" members in each small group make a visible effort to engage everyone in it, and listen with interest. It's a responsibility of that position, keeps the leadership tuned into the members and fosters one "us" feeling, instead of "us vs them." So would intentionally distributing WBCCI regional and national officers' seating at entertainent and parking amongst all rally attendees.

That's what I think, anyway...
Old 12-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
The reimbursement and PAY that WBCCI officers get has just been posted on the WBCCI forums,

http://www.wbcci.org/Forum/viewmessa...m=14&Topic=251

I expect that you will be shocked by what we PAY our volunteer officers. I know I was.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
The reimbursement and PAY that WBCCI officers get has just been posted on the WBCCI forums,

WBCCI Forum -

I expect that you will be shocked by what we PAY our volunteer officers. I know I was.

Very interesting to see the numbers in black and white,so to speak.Thanks for posting.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
It isn't unusual in large organizations for officers to have a budget, primarily for travel, that includes or is in addition to, mileage. In some cases, the "President" would be expected to travel much more annually, speaking at regional or even local meetings, than other officers. This ISN'T "pay" and ISN'T given in one lump sum. Reimbursement from that budget should require submission of receipts, and that documentation should be available to the general membership, upon request. I hope that's the case with WBCCI. Does anyone here know the actual procedures?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
It is my understanding that no WBCCI Officers are paid. The budget amounts listed in the Blue Book are funds allowed for reimbursement for the whole year which includes conducting Unit officer installations, visiting rallies, conducting business, etc.

I'm researching this and will post more when I get more facts.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
In response to other posts on this thread, WBCCI President Don Shafer and the WBCCI Blue Book, offer this clarification of the facts as they relate to monetary allocations to WBCCI officers.

No WBCCI officer is paid. Money is allocated but all expenses are justified with receipts and filed for as reimbursements. There is no per diem. There is no clothing allowance.

Any money not spent would roll over to the next year's budget. The .40 cents per mile comes out of the amounts listed in the Blue Book.

The money listed in the bylaws does not begin to cover the actual amounts officers spend out of their own pocket for maintenance and upkeep on their equipment and other requirements associated with meeting the demands of being a club officer. All of the officers go into their own pocket to pay expenses.

Depreciation, fuel at today’s prices, and up keep costs certainly are not covered by the recently raised rate of .40 cents, (this raise from .30 to .40 is at this time approved only for this fiscal year to cover the jump in fuel costs).

Members of the IBT (Region Presidents and Executive Committee members) are reimbursed to attend the Mid-Winter IBT meeting. They are not reimbursed to attend the International Rally or the IBT meetings that occur there.

Serving as a Region and International officer is both a major time commitment as well as a financial obligation.

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison
Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I didn't realize that the national officers got anything more than rally registration fees.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Below is a response from Jim Franklin, Immediate Past International WBCCI President:

12-10-2006 The amounts listed in the bylaws are correct. The .40 cents per mile you are mentioning
comes out of the amounts listed. Only an officer's travel expenses, rally fees and other expenses all come out of that amount. Any money not spent rolls over to the next year's budget. All expenses are justified with receipts. The money listed in the bylaws does
not begin to cover the actual amounts officers spend out of their own pocket for maintenance and
upkeep on their equipment and other requirements associated with meeting the demands of being
a club officer. I put 50,000 miles on a 2004 396 motorhome looking after the member's interests
and club business. Depreciation, fuel at $3.00 plus a gallon, upkeek costs certainly are not covered
by the recently raised rate of .40 cents. Two years ago, the rate was .20 cents. You gotta
love WBCCI to take on the responsibility and thats the reason we step up to be officers.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Jim Franklin

Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So in effect what he is saying is that if one gets 10mpg (which is reasonable to assume), and the rate of reimbursement is .40/mile, at 2.35/gallon (and I will say up front my math, particuarly word problems was never one of my strongpoints) would leave about $1.65 left over. Again, I'm no math genius, but after 50,000 miles, this could be a significant surplus for someone.

Here is how I came up with my calculations:

10mpg so 10 miles x .40 (per mile) = $4.00
Fuel costs (on average)= $2.35
Subtract $2.35 from $4.00 and I get $1.65 left over.

Now if I take 50000 miles and divide that by 10 (the MPG that most RVs get) I get 5000. If I multiply that 5000 by $1.65 I come up with $8,250.00

If I am way off here, sorry. Show me and I'll gladly take my caining....

If I'm not that far off base...perfect example of your dues monies at work.

Before the flames come I do fully realize that gas at one point was near $3 per gallon, which would reduce that $1.65, but you clearly can catch my drift knowing where fuel prices are and have been. There is some significant fat...and when I read this:

"Depreciation, fuel at $3.00 plus a gallon, upkeek costs certainly are not covered by the recently raised rate of .40 cents."

If I plug in $3.00 a gallon into my equation, I still come up with $1.00 left over at the current .40/mile which unless my math is off, which it could be is $5000 after fuel costs after a 50,000 mile trip. So, why the increase if it all goes back if not spent and detailed receipts are needed?

My point?

It just seems like an open ended check. What I mean by this is that there is no incentive for these "volunteers" not to travel the country on the member's dime. Heck if I could get someone to pay for my gas, I'd volunteer to see the country and meet fellow Airstreamers too!

I'm sure I've left something important here out that would effect these numbers, but the numbers as they are really aren't as important at being paid back for 50,000 miles as a volunteer.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
Below is a response from Jim Franklin, Immediate Past International WBCCI President:

12-10-2006 The amounts listed in the bylaws are correct. The .40 cents per mile you are mentioning
comes out of the amounts listed. Only an officer's travel expenses, rally fees and other expenses all come out of that amount. Any money not spent rolls over to the next year's budget. All expenses are justified with receipts. The money listed in the bylaws does
not begin to cover the actual amounts officers spend out of their own pocket for maintenance and
upkeep on their equipment and other requirements associated with meeting the demands of being
a club officer. I put 50,000 miles on a 2004 396 motorhome looking after the member's interests
and club business. Depreciation, fuel at $3.00 plus a gallon, upkeek costs certainly are not covered
by the recently raised rate of .40 cents. Two years ago, the rate was .20 cents. You gotta
love WBCCI to take on the responsibility and thats the reason we step up to be officers.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Jim Franklin

Jim ---I can tell from your responce, you feel like you and other presidents feel like taking this office makes you some kind of a Martyr. Call it reimbursement if you like but it still is more than any other member recieved. You had the privilage of attending more Rallys and events than any one in the club, had the premium sites, and front row seats at all activities and entertainment, had your fuel , ralley fees and travel fees paid.{excuse me reinbursted} No one has questioned this was verifyed with reciepts or allowed by the by laws. It just seems odd that when someone mentions it this whining starts about how much you folks sacrifice . I know, I know it's a tough job but someone has to do it! -Give me a break!!!! pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
If the Prez or others are "making" a little extra on mileage thats fine. It'll pay for oil changes and batteries. Lots of vehicle costs involved and they should break even. Now Primo parking, seating and eating? Nope, first come first served. Mix with the masses it'll be good for everyone.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The company I work for reimburses auto travel at the IRS rate of 44.5 cents. The reimbursement is not meant just to cover the cash outlay for gas, but is an attempt to compensate for the use of a private vehicle. As far as fairness goes, I think it is an attempt to be reasonably fair.

As far as other perks - I can't comment as I am not a rally kind of guy. But it does appear that the perks don't appear to be popular with the masses.

But then, I do think that the people who are willing to stand for office are also the ones that like that sort of thing (duh?). Perks are a low- or no-cost way to get those folks to do the jobs that a lot of us absolutely don't want to do.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Jim ---I can tell from your responce, you feel like you and other presidents feel like taking this office makes you some kind of a Martyr. Call it reimbursement if you like but it still is more than any other member recieved. You had the privilage of attending more Rallys and events than any one in the club, had the premium sites, and front row seats at all activities and entertainment, had your fuel , ralley fees and travel fees paid.{excuse me reinbursted} No one has questioned this was verifyed with reciepts or allowed by the by laws. It just seems odd that when someone mentions it this whining starts about how much you folks sacrifice . I know, I know it's a tough job but someone has to do it! -Give me a break!!!! pieman
I'd have to agree. If you say in one voice you are a volunteer, yet at the same time start paying for gas and such, it's kind of not a volunteer at that point.

Don't get me wrong, if you are an officer you should get something, but .40/mile for doing something that basically something someone volunteers for because it's something they want to do, it's like getting their cake and eating it too IMHO. In most cases these folks would be going to a fair number of outings anyway. That's where I see the "perks" as gravy.

Then again, with all the corporate greed going on these days seems to the status quo. By no means am I saying it's right, just seems to be a lot of it going on, not just in this context.

For those that also find this out of line, you have options. No one is forcing you to stay. Membership too is voluntary.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Red Letter Day!

We interupt this thread (hijack? ) long enough for me to announce that today is my "red number day." Just got home and received my official, WBCCI - the Airstream RV Association - red numbers and membership package.

Any tips on applying from all you experts?

Any thoughts to a MAL "newbie?"

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote