Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Silvertwinkie, I can understand that the perks that the officers in the WBCCI receive were just one example of what I'm sure were many reasons you decided to drop your membership. That's fine. If I were unhappy with this or any other organization, I would drop out too and no one should blame you. It would have been helpful to the rest of us that have posted to this thread to have realized that you were once a member and no longer are.
To be honest, it never really made as far as the perks thing. I read about the perks thing first here, nearly 3 years from leaving.

I'm with you 110%. Last thing I want to do when in front of networks and computers is solve everyone's technology problems when I'm home unwinding.

In the end, WBCCI will do whatever WBCCI wants to do and are very welcome to....just not with me and a growing number of departing folks flipping the dime for it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote from ticki2:::Without reimbursement for manatory attendance at functions you would be limited to folks who could afford to be an officer .That alone could eliminate a lot of good potential

It seems to me there needs to be changes that eliminates "Class" distinction. When it comes to filling offices, "The Poor Need Not Apply". As it stands those in office have no reason to make changes that would allow "Birds Of Another Feather" to become officers. ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #43
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
It has been my experience that most Officers would be happy to sit back and let a younger crowd run the club. The problem is that it takes a lot of time and young folks with families can't do it. It then falls to the older folks to do it over and over or let the club die. You shouldn't fault them all the time for doing what you won't.

If some change isn't made to attract younger people to the club and take offices, the club will die. I for one won't do it anymore unless changes are made. Sit back and bitch and find fault and you won't have a club.

Ever hear the story of the dog in the hay manger. The dog wouldn't let the horses eat the hay because it resented the horses, but the dog couldn't eat the hay. Some people are like that. They have no constructive ideas, they just resent those folks that do.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
This has been an interesting discussion.

The following question was posted in the Blue Beret and I need some concise, direct answers to this question from WBCCI members. Please send me your thoughts in a PM as I need you to include your name and WBCCI #.

Thanks!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WBCCI is unique in that it is run by members who hold office instead of by an RV manufacturer or professional staff. Over the years the club has given special parking and seating at rallies and designated clothing to leaders as a way of recognizing their tremendous volunteer efforts. Feedback suggests that many members feel these designations create a sense of division rather than unity.

What are your suggestions for recognizing the unsalaried work of our WBCCI leaders while at the same time building positive feelings of unity among the general membership?
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:48 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Please let me clarify the preceding post.

WBCCI does not give clothing to officers nor does it reimburse them for clothing. It does identify certain clothing as a means of recognition, but officers must buy that clothing themselves.
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
Please let me clarify the preceding post.

WBCCI does not give clothing to officers nor does it reimburse them for clothing. It does identify certain clothing as a means of recognition, but officers must buy that clothing themselves.
None of the "perk" stuff bothers me. I just wish the dress code was less formal for Region and International officers. It cracks me up to see our Region 1 President and his wife all done up in suits while the folks in the New England Unit are attending business meetings in sweatpants or jeans.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think I pretty much agree with Michelle. The perks are fine but the clothes gotta go. When you think about it, why do they need to dress or eat differently? It's one thing to have perks but those other things just cause a definite distiction. Volunteers are from the ranks and they should comfortably blend in with the members as appropriately dressed for a rally.

On one hand we are discussing perks, and on the other we are talking about a special class homage. It isn't the military, if our leadership isn't immediately recognizable, perhaps so much the better.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Shirts??!

Maybe we could ALL get t-shirts or jackets?

We could use colors to distinguish "ranks," units, or length of service/membership. FOr example, YELLOW for MALs like myself (cowards afraid to commit to local units), BLUE for out of the box thinkers like the FCU-to be, RED for officers, etc.

Then, we could do like the Scouts and have service badges and sashes. Imagine a badge for each rally, for hosting/attending a workshop, badges for caravans, etc.

IF approved, I want to bid on the contact for providing ALL this stuff. I will quit my job and fulltime to every event I can and just sell stuff out of my AS.

What do ya think?

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #49

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We're in full agreement with the last two posts. The perks are OK; those folks who do all the club's work should get a little something extra. I will also agree that the "Officer Uniform" is a little much. Number one, it is not at all condusive with any form of camping and is somewhat out of place in that venue. Number two, it is somewhat dated and reminicent of some mens' lodge where the members wear gold plated goat horns or the like. The garb also serves to make a distinct separation between the important members and the peons.

Dump the stupid clothes!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #50
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Badges

Here is my badge......
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Men were Gentlemen

One must remember the people that run the WBCCI came from a time when men were more of a "gentlemen" than what most men are today. They came from a time when men held the "door open", "walked to the outside on the sidewalk", "open/closed the car door", "would wear jacket and tie to church", if going out for dinner, would wear nice clothes, etc....

Im not trying to say there are not "younger gentlemen" in the club today, it's just some of us don't have the same respect for "manners" as our parents or grand-parents did. In their day, "blue jeans" were something that you wore to work in the yard, not go to dinner. A baseball cap or any hat for that matter was "not" worn inside. "Gentlemen" were taught to take their cap off when entering a building. Tennis shoes were worn for tennis or running, not to wear all day.

Now one can say, "The world has changed". But has all of it been for the better.

Coming from a man who still says, Please, Thank You, Yes Mam, No Mam and takes his ball-cap off when entering my in-laws house(out of respect). I don't thnk it so bad to wear a nice pair if slacks/jacket and tie, even when I'm not at work. With that, I've got to go put on the shirt/tie/jacket and get ready for Christmas church service.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #52
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Paul - I agree with you when you talk about manners. I too think of myself as a gentleman. I always say please, thank you and your welcome. I open doors for other people, I walk on the street side of the sidewalk with my wife, I remove my ball cap in other peoples homes and I even let people merge in front of me on the road.

I do not think of myself as any less of a gentleman because I choose to wear what is considered appropiate attire for where and when I live. I do not think my wife is any less of a lady because she chooses not to wear a skirt when out in public.

Times change and cloths change as well. If someone does not choose to wear a more foral attire, I do not look down upon that person as having no manners.

Richard

Old 12-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
But what about individuality? Cannot a gentleman still wear a coat, tie and nice slacks (or even a rogue) if that is what he wants to wear at a rally without all having the exact same designated uniformity that separates them as a class from the members visably?

I'm all for gallant gentile folk but it isn't the clothes that make the man. I'd still rather see a letter sweater and a key or glee club look than the formality that sets off flags that this club is not about just camping or having a good time. It is the physical manifestation of a higher order. Neither a leader nor a volunteer has to draw attention in that way to be respected.

The reason I say this is because of the spirit of this thread's question. We want to avoid an "us vs them" mentality. We want to be in this club together. It isn't predominately the perks that cause a divisive attitude, it is the visible separation, in my opinion.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Richard,

I agree, with you. I'm just talking about the era of which the members of the WBCCI are from that run the club. Again, from that era, it showed respect. One did not go to a biz meeting in jeans and a ball cap, out of respect, they wore coat and tie.

I'm not saying thats the way it should be or the way I would do it. Just trying to explain why it is they may still do it. I'm sure by the time the younger group starts to head up the club(5-10 years) I'm sure the standard dress will be jeans/dockers and polos. But we need to remember one thing, by that time, the young guys will be running around with their jeans hanging off their *ss, hat turned to the side and when they smile you can see their "grill". I'm sure at that time, they'll be talking about us and our old ways of doing things and how we dress old fashion. I'm just waiting for the first "lowered" Airstream with hydraulics to make it bounce up and down with a thumphing bass coming from the back.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Richard,

I agree, with you. I'm just talking about the era of which the members of the WBCCI are from that run the club. Again, from that era, it showed respect. One did not go to a biz meeting in jeans and a ball cap, out of respect, they wore coat and tie.

I'm not saying thats the way it should be or the way I would do it. Just trying to explain why it is they may still do it. I'm sure by the time the younger group starts to head up the club(5-10 years) I'm sure the standard dress will be jeans/dockers and polos. But we need to remember one thing, by that time, the young guys will be running around with their jeans hanging off their *ss, hat turned to the side and when they smile you can see their "grill". I'm sure at that time, they'll be talking about us and our old ways of doing things and how we dress old fashion. I'm just waiting for the first "lowered" Airstream with hydraulics to make it bounce up and down with a thumphing bass coming from the back.
As a 43 yr old observer (seemingly young in this crowd) coming from a fairly conservative environment (Army since 1983), I understand your position, but find the insinuation offensive. 5-10 may be a bit too long...
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #56
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Richard,

Paul - Thanks for the follow up. I would like it to take less then the 5 - 10 years that you perdict. I think that the image that the red jackets and blue berets present have a less then positive effect on younger members. After all, it's all about getting together with friends in Wally's wonderful creation.

Have a safe and wonderful holiday season.
BTW, I am currently a member of your unit!

Richard

Old 12-25-2006, 07:46 AM   #57
Rivet Master

One of the young ones,

I would like to say it will take less that 5-10, it may, but I doubt it. If you look at the numbers, the first years of the babyboom is starting to cash in their chips at work and have the time that would be needed to be one of the higher ups. For a boomer to start down the path to go up the chain and get at the region level and then on to International level would have to start now. I can also see the amount of time one would have to spend working as a Region/International level officer, the money they get ups take a little sting out.

I described what some would call your average 20's person. Being 42 years old, thats the "younger" generation to me.This feeling has been going on since the start of time. I've been told when "Elvis" came out in the 50's moving his hips, he "offend" and was thought to be "disrespectful" to the older group of people in the US. The people that loved him in the 50's, where upset with the clothes and music of the late 60's early 70's. And so the beat goes on. Again, since I'm only 42 years old, I'm going on what I've been told and somewhat taught.

For me, I'm here to have fun, give my 4 soon to be 5 year old daughter some good camping trips as a kid and talk Airstreams.

I say, the "perks" and the "dress" are find with me. I really don't care about that part of the WBCCI for now. I've never worn a red sports coat, but who knows, I might get the chance in 25 years! I will have to admit, I did wear the white shirt, red tie and blue pants and beret at International in Springfield last year while waiving the WDCU flag back and forth during the flag ceremony. No stiff arm walk for me!!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #58
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know, I have been following this thread and have kind of a mixed opinion about the dress code issue. I am 45 and on the one hand I think the dress code for the business meetings is fine. I think that so often people loose the respect the older generation had for protocol, etiquette and manners. I wouldn't have a problem wearing a "uniform" for the meetings only. In fact when we camp, I wear Docker shorts...no jeans for me (well, most of the time)...and a polo style shirt or short sleeve camp shirt. I just believe in being presentable in public. Of course I will admit to being the clothes horse in the family.

On the other hand, I think that camping should be a relaxed, casual affair where you can get comfortable with yourself and enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow Airstreamers.

The problem is when you get too comfortable and look sloppy you are disrespectful to yourself and to others you may or may not know. I have seen so many people in campgrounds that look just ridiculously sloppy. Their bellies hanging over their pants and out from under too tight t-shirts and half worn out cut-off jeans...part of the landscape of America that I can do without!

So I feel dressing for the meetings and community meals is acceptable. Maybe not to the extent of wearing a tie, but certainly Dockers and a polo-style shirt wouldn't be too much to ask. Besides, it makes for a much nicer photo opp. I mean, we are all there in Airstreams that are pretty much in conformity, why not dress a with a little conformity?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #59
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
... I just believe in being presentable in public.
I have seen so many people in campgrounds that look just ridiculously sloppy. Their bellies hanging over their pants and out from under too tight t-shirts and half worn out cut-off jeans...
YES YES YES! Forget the dress code, we need a percent body fat code!

Oh, wait, (looks in mirror)

Nevermind.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
You know, I have been following this thread and have kind of a mixed opinion about the dress code issue. I am 45 and on the one hand I think the dress code for the business meetings is fine. I think that so often people loose the respect the older generation had for protocol, etiquette and manners. I wouldn't have a problem wearing a "uniform" for the meetings only. In fact when we camp, I wear Docker shorts...no jeans for me (well, most of the time)...and a polo style shirt or short sleeve camp shirt. I just believe in being presentable in public. Of course I will admit to being the clothes horse in the family.

On the other hand, I think that camping should be a relaxed, casual affair where you can get comfortable with yourself and enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow Airstreamers.

The problem is when you get too comfortable and look sloppy you are disrespectful to yourself and to others you may or may not know. I have seen so many people in campgrounds that look just ridiculously sloppy. Their bellies hanging over their pants and out from under too tight t-shirts and half worn out cut-off jeans...part of the landscape of America that I can do without!

So I feel dressing for the meetings and community meals is acceptable. Maybe not to the extent of wearing a tie, but certainly Dockers and a polo-style shirt wouldn't be too much to ask. Besides, it makes for a much nicer photo opp. I mean, we are all there in Airstreams that are pretty much in conformity, why not dress a with a little conformity?
The attitude that's expressed in this post is the very reason so many of us are sick to death of this club !!!!!! Who, may I ask, made you the standard or supreme example of how any of us should dress ??? How dare you sit in judgemant of anyones attire !!!! ---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote