Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So in effect what he is saying is that if one gets 10mpg (which is reasonable to assume), and the rate of reimbursement is .40/mile, at 2.35/gallon (and I will say up front my math, particuarly word problems was never one of my strongpoints) would leave about $1.65 left over. Again, I'm no math genius, but after 50,000 miles, this could be a significant surplus for someone.

Here is how I came up with my calculations:

10mpg so 10 miles x .40 (per mile) = $4.00
Fuel costs (on average)= $2.35
Subtract $2.35 from $4.00 and I get $1.65 left over.

Now if I take 50000 miles and divide that by 10 (the MPG that most RVs get) I get 5000. If I multiply that 5000 by $1.65 I come up with $8,250.00

If I am way off here, sorry. Show me and I'll gladly take my caining....

If I'm not that far off base...perfect example of your dues monies at work.

Before the flames come I do fully realize that gas at one point was near $3 per gallon, which would reduce that $1.65, but you clearly can catch my drift knowing where fuel prices are and have been. There is some significant fat...and when I read this:

"Depreciation, fuel at $3.00 plus a gallon, upkeek costs certainly are not covered by the recently raised rate of .40 cents."

If I plug in $3.00 a gallon into my equation, I still come up with $1.00 left over at the current .40/mile which unless my math is off, which it could be is $5000 after fuel costs after a 50,000 mile trip. So, why the increase if it all goes back if not spent and detailed receipts are needed?

My point?

It just seems like an open ended check. What I mean by this is that there is no incentive for these "volunteers" not to travel the country on the member's dime. Heck if I could get someone to pay for my gas, I'd volunteer to see the country and meet fellow Airstreamers too!

I'm sure I've left something important here out that would effect these numbers, but the numbers as they are really aren't as important at being paid back for 50,000 miles as a volunteer.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
Below is a response from Jim Franklin, Immediate Past International WBCCI President:

12-10-2006 The amounts listed in the bylaws are correct. The .40 cents per mile you are mentioning
comes out of the amounts listed. Only an officer's travel expenses, rally fees and other expenses all come out of that amount. Any money not spent rolls over to the next year's budget. All expenses are justified with receipts. The money listed in the bylaws does
not begin to cover the actual amounts officers spend out of their own pocket for maintenance and
upkeep on their equipment and other requirements associated with meeting the demands of being
a club officer. I put 50,000 miles on a 2004 396 motorhome looking after the member's interests
and club business. Depreciation, fuel at $3.00 plus a gallon, upkeek costs certainly are not covered
by the recently raised rate of .40 cents. Two years ago, the rate was .20 cents. You gotta
love WBCCI to take on the responsibility and thats the reason we step up to be officers.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Jim Franklin

Jim ---I can tell from your responce, you feel like you and other presidents feel like taking this office makes you some kind of a Martyr. Call it reimbursement if you like but it still is more than any other member recieved. You had the privilage of attending more Rallys and events than any one in the club, had the premium sites, and front row seats at all activities and entertainment, had your fuel , ralley fees and travel fees paid.{excuse me reinbursted} No one has questioned this was verifyed with reciepts or allowed by the by laws. It just seems odd that when someone mentions it this whining starts about how much you folks sacrifice . I know, I know it's a tough job but someone has to do it! -Give me a break!!!! pieman

Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
If the Prez or others are "making" a little extra on mileage thats fine. It'll pay for oil changes and batteries. Lots of vehicle costs involved and they should break even. Now Primo parking, seating and eating? Nope, first come first served. Mix with the masses it'll be good for everyone.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The company I work for reimburses auto travel at the IRS rate of 44.5 cents. The reimbursement is not meant just to cover the cash outlay for gas, but is an attempt to compensate for the use of a private vehicle. As far as fairness goes, I think it is an attempt to be reasonably fair.

As far as other perks - I can't comment as I am not a rally kind of guy. But it does appear that the perks don't appear to be popular with the masses.

But then, I do think that the people who are willing to stand for office are also the ones that like that sort of thing (duh?). Perks are a low- or no-cost way to get those folks to do the jobs that a lot of us absolutely don't want to do.

Pat
Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Jim ---I can tell from your responce, you feel like you and other presidents feel like taking this office makes you some kind of a Martyr. Call it reimbursement if you like but it still is more than any other member recieved. You had the privilage of attending more Rallys and events than any one in the club, had the premium sites, and front row seats at all activities and entertainment, had your fuel , ralley fees and travel fees paid.{excuse me reinbursted} No one has questioned this was verifyed with reciepts or allowed by the by laws. It just seems odd that when someone mentions it this whining starts about how much you folks sacrifice . I know, I know it's a tough job but someone has to do it! -Give me a break!!!! pieman
I'd have to agree. If you say in one voice you are a volunteer, yet at the same time start paying for gas and such, it's kind of not a volunteer at that point.

Don't get me wrong, if you are an officer you should get something, but .40/mile for doing something that basically something someone volunteers for because it's something they want to do, it's like getting their cake and eating it too IMHO. In most cases these folks would be going to a fair number of outings anyway. That's where I see the "perks" as gravy.

Then again, with all the corporate greed going on these days seems to the status quo. By no means am I saying it's right, just seems to be a lot of it going on, not just in this context.

For those that also find this out of line, you have options. No one is forcing you to stay. Membership too is voluntary.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-13-2006, 07:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Red Letter Day!

We interupt this thread (hijack? ) long enough for me to announce that today is my "red number day." Just got home and received my official, WBCCI - the Airstream RV Association - red numbers and membership package.

Any tips on applying from all you experts?

Any thoughts to a MAL "newbie?"

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Crying towel

Roscinante,
If you can get Silvertwinkie to loan you his crying towel.......
In reality, If you will find some shade, then spray a fine coating of Windex or water mixed with dishwashing soap at about a 20:1 ratio onto the skin, then you can place the number on there, and move it around at will. When you have placed it PERFECTLY (remember, you only must please yourself), then take the crying towel, er...a soft, lint free towel or rag, and use it as a kind of squeegee to remove the water from under the number, trying to work the bubbles from the center outward. Then do the rest of your numbers. The moisture will dry in a couple/three days. If, after a couple of days, you find air or moisture bubbles, they can be punctured with a needle, and the air or water worked out through that hole.

Now to the rest of this thread(hijack folied)
I really think you are making an issue, or trying to, out of what really isn't an issue. Right now, if you bought a gallon of diesel fuel in every state of this country, there is no way you could come out with your so called average.
I drove, (at my expense with no reimbursement) a 390 motorhome from GA to Salem, OR this year. My average per gallon was way over $3, paying a highof $3.59 just before the start of the rally. By the way, mileage is 9.2 average for the trip.
I have had 16 Michelin tires on my coach since new. It is 7 years old next May. In the last 2 years, I put $2600 worth of tires on it. Every 25,000 miles, it requires an M3 maintenance, that is normally around $1500 each. The depreciation on my 2000 model is probably $20,000 a year the first 5 or 6 years. Yes, the numbers are different for a trailer/TV, but I bet if the numbers were added together, they would more than exceed the reimbursement rate.
Since I am one of those crazy volunteers, who gets there the first week of June, I am parked close up each year. I don't get preferential parking, I don't think, but it's because I'm there early, working. Hmmm, seems that each and every year, the premium spots were already filled,when I got there. In fact. it's always those officers! I think they must come in 5 weeks ahead of time just to get those spots.
I have watched them fill the rest of the lots up. I'm almost positive the places filled up as people got there. I cannot remember seeing them start at at the perimeter, and fill towards the meeting hall.
As much as many of the volunteers do, year after year, I haven't met many who were chomping at the bit for an officers job, just for the 'pay'. I know I wouldn't do it for the money. I also know, that if those who have the ability to do so, were willing to reimburse me for my expenses, I would take it!
As you see, I've tried to make a case for both sides. There is always two or more sides to every story, but it just isn't right to attack others for doing something we haven't done. I'm thankful someone wants to do the job, as it allows for the organization I enjoy so much. The caravans we've been on were fabulous. The regional, unit, state, and national rallies that we have attended were so much fun. Volunteers make it possible. We are scheduled for 2 more next year, because somebody volunteered to run them. If I had the ability, (and resources) to do so, I would pay/reimburse every single one of them.
I don't have a summary statement. Anyway, 'nuff said on my part.
No matter that we disagree on this one, we all love Airstreams and each others presence on the forum. Thanks.
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'd hate to be one of Silvertwinkie's vehicles! Just put fuel in 'em and drive 'em 'til they stop, huh?

Besides diesel fuel, just for a 3/4 ton truck try:
A 15 quart oil change every 4,000 miles
Tires rotated every 8,000 miles
Air filter [big one] every 10,000 miles
Fuel filter every 20,000 miles
Transmission flush and 20 quarts of ATF every 20,000 miles
New tires, mounted, balanced w/new valve stems every 60,000 miles

You're looking at about 34/mile at $3.00/gallon for fuel and 10 mpg. So that leaves 6/mile for the mileage depreciation AND incidentals, such as car washes, etc. Sounds fair to me.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
After treking through in the heat wave at Salem from as far back as you could get from the buildings, I certainly can see why it would be important for older more fragile individuals to be parked on level easily accessable sites. I don't know if the officers and ages coincide for the majority. I have no problem with them getting what they need to make it easier for them. Since they are needed at the meetings it makes sense to be located nearby also in terms of "travel time". If you aren't driving it takes a considerable length of time to get to and from the far recesses. Ah the shuttle, but standing and waiting is not ideal. Who primarily rides that? (I think there was one??) I think "President's Row" in what it may conjure up to the general membership at first impression seems grandiose. Motorhomes and largest Airstreams and flags flying all in a row stands apart from the general *ssembly. I think there is good reason for it at large scattered facilities.

Seating may also be beneficial for the same reasons as above.

Mingling does seem important and hope officers are encouraged to get out in amongst non officers. Perhaps a time for socializing before or after to get acquainted and talk. Let them take the role as hosts and ambassadors and have them seek and meet members, not their friends, not their co-officers, divide and conquer. I am sure they can be most exciting and enthusiastic, but we won't know if we don't meet them. Allow them time to take a geniune interest in the people they are talking to. Mostly they seem harried when I see them. Not too many smiles and always in a hurry.

Clothes we give them clothes? Can't we do better than what we are giving them?! Let's dress them in some updated comfortable natural fibers more suited to a camping club and less like veterans of foreign wars in inexpensive unattractive design. Or do we? Any examples of what you mean by clothes? I am thinking the red polyester blazers. ??? My officers should be representing me in my club. We should do better. No need to scare off perspective members. Skip the berets except for archival pictures and parties.

Let them eat as we, that will *ssure best quality and conditions. Let them experience standing in single file (except for infirm) and inching up last to disover portions are being cut or have disappeared because of shortages. When they make suggestions to improve service it will then benefit all the members directly.

As to mileage allowance, rather than how much per mile they get which does not seem unreasonable, perhaps consider under what circumstances it is allowed and any restrictions to be observed.

Could modern technologies help officers do some part of their jobs quicker and less expensively? Is there any reason they should try to improve efficiency?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, in the end it's your club, not mine....if you all are happy with it and don't think it's an issue, God love ya.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:38 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
What? You're not a member? Why I oughta...

Send you an application... Just drop me a PM with your email address...

Misery loves company...

__

Thanks, but I've been there and that's why I'm not there.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
"Clothes, we give them clothes?"

No. No clothes are given nor are they reimbursed for clothes.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sorry Renee I misunderstood the comment that over the years the club has given special parking and seating at rallies and designated clothing to leaders as a way of recognizing their tremendous volunteer efforts.

With the exception of the International, that is not covered, are there designated rallies and travel for reembursement, or are any and all rallies and travel eligable at their choosing? Do many travel by common carrier, rent cars and stay in hotels?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
Below is a response from Jim Franklin, Immediate Past International WBCCI President:

12-10-2006 The amounts listed in the bylaws are correct. The .40 cents per mile you are mentioning
comes out of the amounts listed. Only an officer's travel expenses, rally fees and other expenses all come out of that amount. Any money not spent rolls over to the next year's budget. All expenses are justified with receipts. The money listed in the bylaws does
not begin to cover the actual amounts officers spend out of their own pocket for maintenance and
upkeep on their equipment and other requirements associated with meeting the demands of being
a club officer. I put 50,000 miles on a 2004 396 motorhome looking after the member's interests
and club business. Depreciation, fuel at $3.00 plus a gallon, upkeek costs certainly are not covered
by the recently raised rate of .40 cents. Two years ago, the rate was .20 cents. You gotta
love WBCCI to take on the responsibility and thats the reason we step up to be officers.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Jim Franklin

I for one don't have any problem with the an officer recieving funding for travel expences. What does bother me is when questioned all this whining begings about how it doesn't cover expences , how much scarifice it is to be an officer,etc, none of which is necessary. Everyone knows how much work is involved and how expensive it is to travel. Instead of all this explaining I would think an note of thanks for the help with expences would be more in line. ----- pieman