Old 01-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Pagosa Springs, Colorado-Campground ideas?

We are planning to be in Pagosa Springs, Colorado early September, 2009. Any suggestions for campgrounds-private or Nat'l Forest, State, etc.? Thanks for any ideas!

2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
A few of my friends spend a week at this place every year and highly recommend it. They spend most of the time fishing and it is a great location for that.
Sportsman's Campground and Cabins in Pagosa Springs, Colorado

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
You have chosen a beautiful place to visit! We own a rural lot there, and have explored the area enough for me to give you a few tips on camping.
There are a few RV campgrounds on the main drag (Hwy. 160), a couple east of town along the river (see AZ flycasters post) and a couple to the west. These would have hook-ups, etc. Pagosa is surrounded by National Forest, and I personally would send you to the camping areas near the end of Piedra Road, which goes due north from a mile or 2 west of downtown, up into the Weminuche Wilderness and San Juan Nat. Forest. Williams Reservior is up there, and there is some absolutely gorgeous, quiet, and peaceful boondocking in campgrounds, and un-official roadside pull-offs. This is a gravel road, well graded, and I'm thinking it's about a 25 mile drive from town. It is classic southern Colorado mountain scenery!! Again- no hook-ups, but I believe there are water taps and outhouses. Stock up on food, beverages, and firewood and head on up! And don't miss the hot springs, right in town- a bit pricey but beautiful and memorable, especially at night. PM me if you want more info- Tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #4

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
How close to Pagosa do you want to be and what level of services do you want? I found a sweet boondocking site on the San Juan this summer below Wolf Creek pass.

Some threads that may or may not be helpful

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master
The Four Corners region is road trip territory

Forgive me, I am from the East Coast. Trying to keep me in one spot
would be like trying to keep a coyote under the porch. I would research where you go first. They had fires there a few years ago. Many places
have recovered to some extent.
I tent camped right on Lake Vallecito a few years back. They have horseback riding there. Good fishing too. It WAS really really nice.
Oh yeah......give your tow vehicle it's Wheaties if you plan exploring any mountain passes.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote