Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #81

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just have to mention, for all those who think the WBCCI is too stodgy and hokey - the Region Ten Rally in July is having a luncheon at Hooters

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I just have to mention, for all those who think the WBCCI is too stodgy and hokey - the Region Ten Rally in July is having a luncheon at Hooters
What's so special about HOOTERS ? If you've seem on burger you've seen-m
all???
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #83
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

Oregon is in region 10, right?
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #84

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You betcha, go for it

I just couldn't stand the oddity of putting a rally notice in the newsletter that included a 'Red Hat Luncheon' (for the ladies) and Hooters Luncheon (for the gents, I presume)!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
It also takes care of "what do I say?" I could see that being fun as each member re-references themselves and the snickers and humor that might be generated.
This describes how Doug and I were introduced in our unit. We had already attended a few rallies and been given an extremely friendly welcome by the group. They gave us a chance to acclimate ourselves, meet and greet others on our own during this time and seemed to be watching out for us that we weren't getting lost in what was going on. Then at the third rally, we were introduced informally to the group during a morning cafe (I think that's what they called it). And others introduced themselves, and it was all like a friendly conversation with lots of humor and stories dropped in. Very nice!!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
I like that! That's a great ice breaker in my opinion and if it went around to all in attendance would be a great way to get a head start on becoming acquainted with everyone. Remember when you are new there is only one of you for the club to acquaint themselves with, but many members for the newbie to assimulate in short order. It also takes care of "what do I say?" I could see that being fun as each member re-references themselves and the snickers and humor that might be generated.

Brings back memories.
Although after a great deal of therapy sessions Peter and I have come to terms with our "initiation experience" and are able to laugh about it now

If you join a small unit - I bet it is just fine - but a large unit like ours - For people who may not be accustom to standing infront of crouds of over a 100 people - it just might actually put them over the edge.

Peter and I are not that kind of people - and we are lucky big crowds don't scare us - in fact it brought back memories of the days of pledging for Brownies and the Scouts in a way. And the Atheletes Prayer, and the Officials Prayer and the Coaches Prayer - and well most clubs have some sort of "pomp" even if it is a cheers at your very first Cocktail/Happy Hour....we got over it and saw past all the pomp and hype. We just carried big huge grins - and said under our breath - "are these people real" we have hit a time warp..... There is one thing to appreciate the history of the club - but you have to live in the present....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

ceremonies and initiations

I think there is definitely a place and a purpose for ceremonies including "initiation". For instance, they define certain events and they acknowledge certain accomplishments. They can also create a sense of unity. It just depends on how, what, and why. One of the neat things about Units is although they have to have a similar basic structure to comply with WBCCI policies, they have their own personalities. Initiations are one of those things that can be unique to each Unit. It is what works best and what suits the particular members of that Unit.

Where you run into trouble is trying to mandate a particular method or procedure or you have leadership that doesn't have the vision to able to adapt and change as the members needs change while still maintaining the key elements/purpose of the ceremony.

Initiations or some sort of introduction is an important step towards inlcuding new members, to acknowledging their desire to become part of the group. It does seem to me though that if your Unit is one of those that has a more structured introduction, it would be nice if the President approached the new member before hand and explained the introduction process. That way there would be no suprizes and hopefully if the new members were they kind of people that prefer not to be "brought up on stage" or in some other way make a public affirmation, there would be options to acknowlege them in a less visible manner.

Its about options and choices and imagination to acheive a goal. If you think ceremonies and intiations are stuffy, regimented, outdated, then work towards updating and changing, modifying and consolidating but not necesarily throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The basis for the ceremony may still have meaning and may still be important to the members and the unit.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks for posting the pledge. When Brad and I missed our luncheon we weren't there for initiation. I e-mailed my officers to ask what it was and did not receive an answer in regard to that. We were relieved that we hadn't been brought up before the group and would have had no idea what we would be swearing to or that it was going to happen to us. It would have been awkward at that point for everyone. We probably would just have declined to participate. I suppose you'd have to know us to understand why anyone would have reluctance to make a public vow.
Yup you guessed we shy away from center focus at group activities, but beyond that I meant that if we are to declare a public oath before God and country we might want to know in advance what we might be saying, just in case we got so shy we didn't pay attention. I know most think ok go ahead just follow along, but that really is not our way.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #89
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Chris,
I honestly scrolled to the bottom to post without reading the rest of the posts. You loaded the question.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Chris,
I honestly scrolled to the bottom to post without reading the rest of the posts. You loaded the question.
How so ?
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
So I have been watching the posts on the name change issue, all the other issues concerning the cost of the membership, plus the way the whole system works ( or is supposed to )within the WBCCI. I have a couple comments to these and I could choose any thread really to post this in.

1. With the membership fee as high as it is, I could make the main course for dinner for three forums rallies, easy. I organised one already this year and am contemplating doing two more. I like to hang with like minded folks, shoot the breeze over a roaring fire and generally have a good time with out all of the regs. I really like the forums rallies and frankly would rather put my hard earned cash towards having more of them. I love forums rallies. It could pour rain ( and it has ) and we would still have a great time. Battleground lake comes to mind and I didn't even have my AS with me.

2. Truth be told, I am waiting this name change issue out. If the name does change to the ee-I-ee-O I won't join. Not because of the name itself but because they have a set of rules created by the club that, as it seems to me, was in-part ignored. Plus the fact that it seems now that Thor may have a hand in the process to boot. ( not bashing Thor, I think they have some good products out there. I just looked at a 28 ft slide out (Komfort) and it seemed well made. ) Bottom line is, if you have a set of rules ya oughta follow 'em when it comes to things like this. This name change is a huge issue and the rules as created by the WBCCI should have been followed to the "T".

3. I understand where the members are coming from when it comes to the comraderie. Some folks dig all of the luncheons and pomp and circumstance. I don't but thats just me. I feel you have to get with the times or get left behind. The OR unit is right there. Stef is doing a good job and Jim suggested to the WOU that they get a website up and going. I am not suggesting that they forget the bylaws and such, but that they bring them along with the current name and morph into a club that sees the future and integrates that into what they are already. That's how you attract new members, see the future, don't forget your past and live in the present.

Thats my $2.35 ( I reserve the right to add a $1.50 later )

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
-J,
You know that'd cost ya more to be an affiliate member .....but if you knew you'd enjoy the company of the forums members out here......I'd say go for it....if it were a possibility. One thing that concerns me about having a NWForums Unit would be the pressure to schedule and plan a rally each month.......it can amount to a lot of work! I know the Unit we belong to has monthly luncheons during the winter.....which are nothing more than socials, with absolutely no planning at the meetings. I could see that with a NWForums Unit.....all the planning/signups/ could take place online and through emails, which doesn't happen with our WOU Unit. I would like to offer suggestions to my present Unit.....but feel guilty that I would be changing what their idea of a "perfect rally" would be. I'm now kind of a passive member, but have offered my time to start a Unit website.....which is a start to change!! I asked them at the last social luncheon what they thought of the "name change" issue....and the President said he didn't care what it was called! Some did offer resistance to the name change.
Hi Jim,

Our March Newsletter will be posted on our website if you want to take a look at the "simplified camp-outs". I can't take the credit, it comes from a new Unit in Texas.

www.wbcci1.org/whitemt
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
"What makes me take pause on joining is that it seems like the club nationally is turning a blind eye to attracting and keeping younger members."

I understand where you are coming from on that thought. But you need to know that the incoming WBCCI President, Don Shafer, is very interested in attracting younger members and families. As President of our Region, he demonstrated that comittment and is still very interested in reaching that goal. There are things that need to be done on the International level to attract younger members, some past due, but there is definitely hope.

The rubber really meets the road at local unit rallies. That is where working members are most likely to get involved. As stated in previous postings, younger families joining into a receptive unit cannot only make a difference in the club, they can also benefit from the experience. Fun, Fellowship and Adventure!
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
"What makes me take pause on joining is that it seems like the club nationally is turning a blind eye to attracting and keeping younger members."
Well it's not really that the leadership is not trying to attract new younger members. They are trying to do that with the name change. They believe that it is a problem of perception in that the name Wally Byam appears stodgy and antiquated and that with a new name people will somehow think that the group is progressive and fun. What's important to WBCCI?? Flag ceremonies, knitting circles and uniforms & dress codes. What's important to the younger demographic - none of the above.
Quote:
The rubber really meets the road at local unit rallies. That is where working members are most likely to get involved. As stated in previous postings, younger families joining into a receptive unit cannot only make a difference in the club, they can also benefit from the experience. Fun, Fellowship and Adventure!
The rubber really does meet the road at the unit level and it is there that the changes in membership will come from - as they are in many units like mine. WBCCI would be best served by doing all that it could to help the units. Right now it seems as though the only thing keeping WBCCI alive is the excellent work the units are doing to attract and keep members, not the other way around. I see WBCCI existing only for it's own good (IBT, etc...) and providing little or no service to the unit level.

I would like to see that turned around.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Well it's not really that the leadership is not trying to attract new younger members. They are trying to do that with the name change. They believe that it is a problem of perception in that the name Wally Byam appears stodgy and antiquated and that with a new name people will somehow think that the group is progressive and fun. What's important to WBCCI?? Flag ceremonies, knitting circles and uniforms & dress codes. What's important to the younger demographic - none of the above.

The rubber really does meet the road at the unit level and it is there that the changes in membership will come from - as they are in many units like mine. WBCCI would be best served by doing all that it could to help the units. Right now it seems as though the only thing keeping WBCCI alive is the excellent work the units are doing to attract and keep members, not the other way around. I see WBCCI existing only for it's own good (IBT, etc...) and providing little or no service to the unit level.

I would like to see that turned around.
Yep. We gotta get that word across. I'm working on it. We all need to get that word to the Executive Board and the IBT. We all can keep chipping away at making things better and the club more appealing.
A shift in mind set

The reality is, it is not just younger people who are turned off by dress codes and pomp and circumstance. (By the way, knitting has become a fad for college aged students and young adults, at least here.)

I agree that the changes need to come from the members up. I'm in the SC Coastal Unit and it is great. If the membership becomes proactive, we can see change. If possible attend the unit leadership workshops at the International Rally. They are truly in support of the local units. (Yes, I know more can be done.)

A word about the IBT. The IBT is comprised of the Presidents of each of the Regions. They serve two years on the board with half of the regions changing Presidents every year. So when we talk about the IBT, it is a group that changes annually. (Of 12 regions, 6 new presidents come onto the board each year.) The current IBT members can only be held accountable for the decisions made during their tenure. With this turn over, there is also always the chance to see change in the way the club is managed. The Executive Board also serves on the IBT. They are the elected International Officers. All of these people volunteer their time and put in a lot of work. That does not change the fact that current approaches need to be revisited.

Renee Ettline
2nd VP
Region 3
Old 04-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
A word about the IBT. The IBT is comprised of the Presidents of each of the Regions. They serve two years on the board with half of the regions changing Presidents every year. So when we talk about the IBT, it is a group that changes annually. (Of 12 regions, 6 new presidents come onto the board each year.) The current IBT members can only be held accountable for the decisions made during their tenure. With this turn over, there is also always the chance to see change in the way the club is managed. The Executive Board also serves on the IBT. They are the elected International Officers. All of these people volunteer their time and put in a lot of work. That does not change the fact that current approaches need to be revisited.
This is true but I think that ideas are passed down from offgoing to oncoming leadership such that a serious change in thinking is somewhat harder to process. To accomplish a real paradigm shift takes a very long time to accomplish.
What would happen if we really had a complete shift in leadership? I could see plusses and minuses. Plus - totally new thinking could be what the org needs. Minus - the experience we have at the top would be lost and that would not be in the best interest of the org. I for one do value that experience.

In a perfect world, IBT opens the doors to membership feedback - just what the membership does need to make it become progressive. In what I have seen that hasn't been done. Yes some surveys were taken but the right questions have not been asked...

I know that suggestions have been made on these forums but how far can that go?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Raising the Level of Public Debate

Quote:
Yep. We gotta get that word across. We all need to get that word to the Executive Board and the IBT. We all can keep chipping away at making things better and the club more appealing.

I agree that the changes need to come from the members up. If the membership becomes proactive, we can see change. If possible attend the unit leadership workshops at the International Rally. They are truly in support of the local units. (Yes, I know more can be done.)

That does not change the fact that current approaches need to be revisited.
Quote:
In a perfect world, IBT opens the doors to membership feedback - just what the membership does need to make it become progressive
I just want to applaud Renee and Buttercup as well as all the many other influential members that have worked and continue to work to raise the level of public debate within the WBCCI.

The time of falling in and following has been building to a time of boldness and involvement. This has been a marked encouragement to me as a member and I just want to say thank you to all of you that show that one member at a time can and does make a difference.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
The time of falling in and following has been building to a time of boldness and involvement. .
What a great statement!!!!!! Yipee! That is just too wonderful not to repeat.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
I know that suggestions have been made on these forums but how far can that go?
Keep them coming and we will find out!

It may take some time, but pick a good idea and make it happen. The internet makes communication so easy! We have that advantage over the old days. The best ideas are those that are followed by dedicated action.

Use parliamentary procedure if needed. Ideas can start at a unit. If the Unit board approves a motion, send it to your Region. If it passes the Region Board, then it goes on up. Have a well formed motion and build support for it. Some changes don't even need that. Just start doing things differently!

Like Carol says, "The time of falling in and following has been building to a time of boldness and involvement."
Old 04-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #100
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
on the fence

We're on the fence about joining...We just bought a '05 AS TT. My husband works so much (6-7 days a week .... with only a few weeks off at a time ). He 'll retire in about 6mos. ... but ... we couldn't make but a few events if any until then.
We love our airstream ,but as I wrote we're still unsure. We live in Charlotte area , so if any one with suggestions....
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote