Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2006, 05:32 AM   #21
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Chris, I was a member for five or six years and let my membership lapse last year and haven't re-upped. The reasons are many, and most have nothing to do with the organization. In small town America, do-ers are in short supply and I find myself involved in more organizations than I have time. When I want to go camping, it's to get away from daily life and I'm not looking to socialize with my trailer... I'm looking to escape with my trailer. The WBCCI doesn't fit that very well.

What caused me to give it up so readily though, was that I realized long ago, and especially after attending the 2000 Int'l Rally in Sioux Falls that the "CCI" stands for "Caravan Club International". The majority of the folks in attendance actually used their trailers for travel... in caravans!

At age 45, and working poor, I didn't have the wherewithal to caravan. It was tough to do a weekend somewhere nearby. There were other issues, the general age of our local club was some 30 years older than we were, and after attending a number of rallies, I just decided I didn't have much to add nor did WBCCI have much to offer me. Our goals were different.

I continued to pay my dues until last year, but didn't participate in any events and finally just decided to let my membership lapse. I think that the club is a good one for the purpose for which it was intended. It can't be all things to all people, and there are too many folks with too many disparate views of what it should be. It'll be interesting to watch where it goes into the future. I'll be on the outside of the fence looking in.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I can see where you're coming from, Chris (and Rog too). Everyone has different needs for how to spend their free time, and the club doesn't fit everyone. I also understand the money issue, because every year it's a big deal to come up with the $70 to join the WBCCI and the unit for another year. Not being an 'airstream millionaire', we take spending $70 pretty seriously. I also get discouraged by the troubles of the national club, and the name change, and the naysayers, but it really has little to do with what goes on out here in Oregon. In fact, it's worse this year than usual because of the international coming here.

But there's also something nice about having a local club and being able to get together with the same people and catch up about where they've been and what they've been up to. Just like our forum rallys I guess.

Chris, you're welcome to come as a guest to some of our unit rallys until you make up your mind. And I'm sure we'll have lots of forum rallys, or even joint forum and unit rallys. And when you're ready to join, we'll be glad to have some extra help and ideas.

The unit has had trouble getting someone to step up and be VP this year. VP has to plan next year and be president for the year they planned. So Dave and I discussed it and he volunteered. So once it's approved by the board, we'll be planning 2007. I hope we can get more people our age involved so we can come up with some new places to go and interesting activities. Then maybe we won't have so many people 'on the fence'!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
I did it.

I just took the plunge and joined. My wife gave me the $$ for my birthday she knows how much the Airstream means to me and supports me. For the past 3 years Ed Tracy in Eugene has been keeping at me and keeping me informed as to what the Western Oregon Unit is doing. He is delightful and very knowledgeable. I look forward to meeting up with the group again and discovering what the group will help me to do.
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Good for you! I hope we run into you at a rally sometime. Remember, you're welcome at any unit rally, so you can come to Oregon Unit activities as well. You'll also have to get together with JordanDVM, he's in the W. OR unit as well.

You should turn out for the unofficial Newport Rally this weekend. I hear there's still one more spot available...

Old 02-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Stephanie

Hi,

I am a member-at-large currently because I find myself in FL part of the year, and OR the other part with a good dose of cross-country travel in between. The FL local Pres. called me a while ago to invite me to join their group (I have never met them) but I feel that my soul still reside in 'THE GORGE'. It seems that your OR unit might be worth joining, even though I don't consider myself the joining type. I should be back on the west coast for July and August. Hopefully I can get to one of your events to say hi.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
I hope you can make it out and meet some folks at a rally. We aren't too fancy, but we've always had fun. This year is going to be a little weird because of International happening out here. We will be having a rally August 4-6 in Brooks Oregon. And of course the annual Pendleton Round Up rally. There is always lots to do around here.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
OK, I may be the sorta on the fence type you were originally searching to survey.

I could go either way.

First, I don’t already belong because:
When I first found the club existed via the Internet I didn’t yet own an Airstream and was researching which model to purchase. I thought joining an AS club might help as it has with other old car/motorcycle hobbies. I was immediately repelled when I found you had to OWN an Airstream to join your silly club. How special. Not trying to attract new young prospects are you?? I found other webbased AS sorurces, and magazines, met nice folks and well, then I never just looked back at it until you asked.
Sorry to be brash but you did ask.

I was reminded of Groucho's famous line: "I'd never join a club that would have me as a member."

Hobby Clubs are what you make of them. You invest time, others invest time, you share ideas, have fun, learn from others and make friendships. If you like your new friends..travel and camp with them. Some have more energy to invest than others. Thanks for them. They make clubs work for us all.

My experience based on several hobby/vehicle collecting clubs has been it’s fun .…..then competition and judging comes in, big pocketbooks win, egos flair, someone gets too big for their britches ala Wally style and then: Shiniest trailer takes all?? And I leave. It ruined antique motorcycles and Model A Fords for me.

And much depends on how one uses their trailer. Some seem to just like showing them off. I enjoy rallies, camping, visiting, meeting folks, sharing ideas, swap meets, but as for spending an entire week…well I’d probably be more likely to boondock camp and watch the Grizzly bears fishing and eagles flying.

Sounds like you must have internal club squabbling…who’s on first? politics? I have not paid attention and don’t care to hear about it. There’s a reason to think twice about joining..they aren’t a happy bunch even without me.

Not sure the price of dues are a good value for my family. I could probably use 2 year subscription to Airstream Life more or another tank of gas to travel.

Sounds like some want to change club name…whatever. What would you change it to? Fred's trailer club? Isn’t it Wally’s club anymore even without him? Another reason to pause.

Now I’m left wondering why I would want to join. I’m very sure you are all great folks and the ones who have helped me through the forums are very helpful, generous and truly friendly. What does that $70 go towards?

I’m not so on the fence about joining a local chapter, that sounds great and sign me up, but there seems to be a silly club rule that I have to join the big national club first (and own one of these special trailers).

Why would I want to join? really? What am I missing?

I really mean no offense…remember you asked.

Safari64
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster
I just took the plunge and joined. My wife gave me the $$ for my birthday she knows how much the Airstream means to me and supports me. For the past 3 years Ed Tracy in Eugene has been keeping at me and keeping me informed as to what the Western Oregon Unit is doing. He is delightful and very knowledgeable. I look forward to meeting up with the group again and discovering what the group will help me to do.
Buckmaster,
Welcome to the WOU of WBCCI! That's the unit we belong to. I attended the luncheon last Saturday to see more of what's going on. We definitely need more youthful folk in our group! You probably know our forums group is having a mini rally at South Beach SP this weekend during the Wine and Seafood Festival. It would be great if you could come over for a visit. We'd like to meet you!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #29
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
Well, I am in the Process of obtaining a 2006 23' Special Edition Safari w bay windows (trying to get the best interest rate).. should have everything wrapped up by March 4th.

I am 46, Married, have one daughter at home, 16. In fact she is very excited about the AS. She is already planning our summer "Tour".

Being new to trailering, let me say this:

I will join.

Age demographics do not matter to me. I have learned so much from some of our mature residents in matters of life that I count myself lucky when I find myself interacting with a wide variety of people.

I currently belong to a Harley Owners Group (HOG), riding with all ages.
HOG membership administration has a great model for recruitment and retaining members.;

Rides are planned for short and long trips, so every member has a choice.

Special workshops are planned, like bike maintenance, upkeep, and tricks of
the trade to keep your rig running right.

Charity work as a group is planned from time to time.

I am positive that this club reflects the same values.

Hope to see you all on the road real soon....
HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
Well, I am in the Process of obtaining a 2006 23' Special Edition Safari w bay windows (trying to get the best interest rate).. should have everything wrapped up by March 4th.

I am 46, Married, have one daughter at home, 16. In fact she is very excited about the AS. She is already planning our summer "Tour".

Being new to trailering, let me say this:

I will join.

Age demographics do not matter to me. I have learned so much from some of our mature residents in matters of life that I count myself lucky when I find myself interacting with a wide variety of people.

I currently belong to a Harley Owners Group (HOG), riding with all ages.
HOG membership administration has a great model for recruitment and retaining members.;

Rides are planned for short and long trips, so every member has a choice.

Special workshops are planned, like bike maintenance, upkeep, and tricks of
the trade to keep your rig running right.

Charity work as a group is planned from time to time.

I am positive that this club reflects the same values.

Hope to see you all on the road real soon....
Congratulations, I believe that you will be pleased with your decision. My unit, El Camino Real, has a rally planned for the last weekend in April in Ramona, CA. If you would like, I will send you a copy of our newsletter. send me a PM with your address.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #31
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
I'm still on the fence, I WAS all fired up to join the Montana unit, talked on the phone to the President and she was very helpfull and also was very friendly, and seem's to be a very very nice person, I can only assume that the rest of the unit is the same. The downfall to this is there is only one unit in Montana, and if I were to attend a unit meeting, I would half to dirve 5 to 6 hours to attend a meeting. I would like to belong to a unit that was closer so that I could be more involved with the unit, but this is not a opption that I have. I also have taken a look at the benefits to joining WBCCI and there is really no real benefits to the club that would benefit me other than getting to know fellow airsrteamers witch is a very good thing. I also have read thru the WBCCI sites forums and the same thing is being stated there as is here about the WBCCI's communication skills, is a dissapointment to its fellow members, so I have gotten the impression that the WBCCI's higher elected goverment is really not all that lower member freindly, whitch is to bad because the way I see it is the members as a whole that makes a club a club. and it is for this reason that the WBCCI survives. I'm really not sure if I want to be a member of a club that is kept so much in the dark on certain issues that all club members have a right to know and should be kept informed of I guess I'm still on the fence.. The Good Sam Club has way much more to offer than the WBCCI. Still on the fence I guess....
Old 03-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
[SIZE=2]Well, I am in the Process of obtaining a 2006 23' Special Edition Safari w bay windows (trying to get the best interest rate).. should have everything wrapped up by March 4th.
I'm sorry, but did you say a 23' Special Edition? I didn't know that they had the 23' on Special Edition yet with the panoramic window and alum interior exposed skins.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Thumbs down Hiding Behind the Fence

Well, finally had a chance to read up on all this WBCCI bruough-ha-ha. I think I will stay behind the fence.
I have considered joining/not joining for the last five years and the things that have pushed me back are the appearant formality and structure of the club.
First is the vintage club within the club. One group for the price of two? From what I have seen and heard there seems to be friction between the two factions. Second was from a member who seemed to feel that even though there were a bunch of stuffed shirts the initiation ceremony wasn't that bad. Ceremony! Didn't join anything in college for that very reason. Haven't had an initiation for any other group I belong to.
Please note that these are just my reactions to things that may or may not be a true representation of facts. If they are not true then the club hasn't done a good job of promoting themselves.
Now the latest with the name change. What the fallout will be seems to be anybody's quess. A Grouch Marx quote was referenced to in one of the other posts. Another one of his was " I think I'll join this club and beat you over the head with it."
I have been to the forum rallys and have found them to be quite enjoyable mostly due to the ad hoc nature of the events and look forward to more in the future.
WBCCI, I'm out.

Tom.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:53 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Good point Tom. I agree with your position and reasons. I love the forum and think I'll just stick with it...joe...
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
I'm still on the fence, I WAS all fired up to join the Montana unit, talked on the phone to the President and she was very helpfull and also was very friendly, and seem's to be a very very nice person, I can only assume that the rest of the unit is the same. The downfall to this is there is only one unit in Montana, and if I were to attend a unit meeting, I would half to dirve 5 to 6 hours to attend a meeting. I would like to belong to a unit that was closer so that I could be more involved with the unit, but this is not a opption that I have. ..
I think there is an active unit around Couer d'Elene but I guess that would still be 2-3 hours away right?
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It's really a shame that you take the rants of a very few and assume they are gospel. I for one, hope at some point you reconsider...we have met many WONDERFUL people through the WBCCI & VAC, some friendships that will last a lifetime.

FYI - I am still working, under 50 and like to hang out around a campfire with an adult beverage...I don't knit, am not into amatuer radio or play bridge.

There are lots of folks just like me involved ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Yeah, what Shari said....

Old 03-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
yeah like Shari said. Don't let the ranting of a very few influence you. Hey girls isn't there anything else you might like to pin on the very few? Looks like the gettings good. You can get a lot more licks in if you only try a little harder.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
It's really a shame that you take the rants of a very few and assume they are gospel. I for one, hope at some point you reconsider...we have met many WONDERFUL people through the WBCCI & VAC, some friendships that will last a lifetime.

FYI - I am still working, under 50 and like to hang out around a campfire with an adult beverage...I don't knit, am not into amatuer radio or play bridge.

There are lots of folks just like me involved ~

Shari
Yep, what Shari said is true for me too. Except I'm closer to being 50.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
35, haven't seen the "in fighting," just see great parties and great food. Oh yeah...and cool Airstreams.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote