Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Old Caravan Photos

I'm trying to research the history of my '58 Flying Cloud (2252). I've found that it went on #48 1966 Alaska, #80 1971 Old World Europe, #O8 1977 Great Britain.

It would be great to get some copies of historic photos that show the trailer in some exotic location.

Any thoughts on how to research this?
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Research Progress

On Thursday, I went to Alexander Valley, in Sonoma County, and dropped in on the old address of "Sherman and Alexandra Conover" where the previous owners of the Flying Cloud lived. No one was home, but I left a photo of the trailer with a hand-written note in their mailbox. I'm not hoping for much, but maybe.

Next, I went to the Healdsburg Historical Society and met up with Holly, the researcher. We looked at the microfilm records of the newspaper and found a mention of the Conovers having purchased 13 acres in 1959, planning on "living in their trailer while building their new home..."

During my visit, I met Susan Young Sheehy, daughter of vintner Robert Young (89). She was going to an historical society event that night and promised to ask her dad about the Conovers. Her aunt actually lived next door, so she was going to ask her as well.

Turns out, sadly, that no one remembered them, other than remembering that they once lived there. I guess they spent their time traveling in the Airstream rather than partying locally.

The newspaper article (attached) mentions two daughters, but googling them hasn't been productive.

Still hoping...

-Michael
Attached Files
File Type: pdf conoversHtrib59.pdf (76.0 KB, 162 views)
Old 03-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Very cool. Good luck in your search!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Michael----I have no experience in what you are doing, but here's a couple of ideas. Contact Pee Wee Schromborn on this forum. He is the son of Helen Byam, the lady who started the WBCCI for Wally. PeeWee traveled on many of these early Caravans and has an extensive photo library. He lives in the Prescott area in Arizona. Another source could be Fred Caldwell, the historian of the WBCCI Vintage Airstream Club (VAC). Be sure to try the WBCCI headquarters in Jackson Center, Ohio

Good luck in your quest.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Bob,
I've made a couple of different attempts to contact the WBCCI hq, and my emails get an automated response, but nothing beyond that. I'm thinking that they don't care about the history of Airstream, the main reason that we like them so much.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Try Loretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
Bob,
I've made a couple of different attempts to contact the WBCCI hq, and my emails get an automated response, but nothing beyond that. I'm thinking that they don't care about the history of Airstream, the main reason that we like them so much.
Michael,you may want to try to contact the WBCCI Historian Loretta Moss.Her WBCCI number is 324 and her email is listed in the 2008 WBCCI Directory.
The previous WBCCI Historian, (Esther Garrison) had an extensive collection of old photos and memorabilia from the early days.These should have been passed on to Loretta when she took over as the clubs new historian.

Good luck in your search.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote