Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
October Blue Beret

For the second month in a row WBCCI Pres. Don Shafer's colum is one of inclusion. He talks about the various stages he has gone through. From a working family to his current working retirement. How the Club needs to address the needs of all members in all stages.

The Member Idea Share was most impressive. I am surprised and glad the Club was honest with itself and its members to print the letters they did. The underlying opinions of the contributing members was. Less formality, Weekend Rallies to accomodate working folks with kids. Less cost and most shocking of all.....AIRSTREAM FORUM.COM rallies were used as a model for WBCCI Rallies!!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Mention of Forums Rallies in Blue Beret

I was glad to see that Forums rallies were mentioned.

I was also kinda disappointed. In the Region news, for the second month in a row, there was NOTHING to report from Region 3. This region has the largest membership in the regions. Who is in charge of writing or gathering the news for this article?
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
I was also kinda disappointed. In the Region news, for the second month in a row, there was NOTHING to report from Region 3. This region has the largest membership in the regions. Who is in charge of writing or gathering the news for this article?
Region 9 seems to be in the same fix. There has been nothing much new in the last several issues since our President (Tom Collier) was elected 3rd Intl VP and our VP took over the Presidency.

One thing to remember, though. The lead time for the Beret is so great that previous regimes reported accounts of events that hadn't even happened when they had to input the material. I know this because I receive the material for use on the website. If there was less lead time, there would probably be more reporting of items of interest.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Volunteerism

Your region president typically appointments an Editor for submitting articles about their region to the Blue Beret. The deadlines used to be about 2 months prior for submittals. I haven't done it for several years, but recall the 2 month lead time. If your region doesn't have an editor, I recommend that you contact your President and offer to take on the position.

Rallies and events are submitted for the year, in November by your Unit. Your President or Corresponding Secretary should have forms that you can submit to change rally information, add, or edit. You would still probably need about a 2 month leadtime.

Hope that helps.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
I'm seeing an improvement in our club's mag

This is the first Blue Beret that I didn't just thumb through and then recycle. In fact it's right here on my desk, next to my computer. Here is why I"m hanging on to it:
  • Member Idea Share
  • Pull Tabs article - I'm on a mission in regards to collection of tabs for the NEU
  • Migrating Whooping Cranes article -I love birds, and having an Airstream means you can go and see these beautiful creatures
  • Front Cover - picture of an Airstream traveling over a bridge. Airstream has lots of caravan stickers on it's back window. Like this because this is what I think Airstreaming is about: Camping and traveling with friends.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
This is the first Blue Beret that I didn't just thumb through and then recycle. In fact it's right here on my desk, next to my computer. Here is why I"m hanging on to it:
  • Member Idea Share
  • Pull Tabs article - I'm on a mission in regards to collection of tabs for the NEU
  • Migrating Whooping Cranes article -I love birds, and having an Airstream means you can go and see these beautiful creatures
  • Front Cover - picture of an Airstream traveling over a bridge. Airstream has lots of caravan stickers on it's back window. Like this because this is what I think Airstreaming is about: Camping and traveling with friends.
Hey! I found another reason to keep this issue. Inside back cover has a picture of a rally held by the Western North Carolina Unit and who do I see in the photo but two active, fun loving folks who are regular members of the NEU. I wonder how they fit this rally in? They went on two (maybe three) long term WBCCI caravans this year. Gosh, I wish I was them!

Old 10-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Did you all see the inside back cover and the pictures of the VAC parade at the International??? I wonder if the picture was carefully edited to cut out the pirate flag that was up on the last unit in the picture???

Kudos also that the forums being mentioned about the rallies we do. That was a great complement.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Did you all see the inside back cover and the pictures of the VAC parade at the International??? I wonder if the picture was carefully edited to cut out the pirate flag that was up on the last unit in the picture???

Kudos also that the forums being mentioned about the rallies we do. That was a great complement.

Jack

Seems like there may be hope for the WBCCI going forward .One small step at a time.Looking forward to getting my issue.Haven't said that for awhile.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
...Pull Tabs article - I'm on a mission in regards to collection of tabs for the NEU...
Rant on, medication off,

This one has me really upset. What about the rest of the can, which weighs maybe 10 times the pull tab. Do you throw it away, if you collect 1,000 lbs of pull tabs, you would have 10,000 lbs if you included the cans.

The only reason I can think of to collect only the pull tabs is to represent a large number of things, ie 100,000 or 1,000,000.

One of the things that upset me about the Salem International, and I included in my letter to Jim Franklin and others, was the pride in collecting pull tabs, but no recycling bins anywhere on the fairgrounds. Oregon is known as a green state but no recycling bins. In addition you could be thrown out of the International for draining your ice chest on the ground, but dogs could go anywhere (but pick up the poop). Heaven forbid you would throw the dregs of your morning coffee or the ice from your drink on the ground.

Rant off, back on medication. Yes, I do feel better.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
What about the rest of the can, which weighs maybe 10 times the pull tab. Do you throw it away, if you collect 1,000 lbs of pull tabs, you would have 10,000 lbs if you included the cans.

The only reason I can think of to collect only the pull tabs is to represent a large number of things, ie 100,000 or 1,000,000.
My understanding of why they only want the tab is because:
1) tabs take up less space, problem for all but especially for the RMDH themselves (and folks traveling in their RVs) - bottomline, RMDH is in the healling/helping business, not the recycling business
2) the cans can be recycled to another organization so TWO charities can reap the benefits of a single can - it's also suggested that you take the cans to a recycling facility and donate the proceeds to RMDH in addition to (or in lieu of) the tabs
3) the tab is a more pure aluminum than the can so is worth as much or more than the can itself

For more information, check out: Ronald McDonald House Charities

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
My understanding of why they only want the tab is because:
1) tabs take up less space, problem for all but especially for the RMDH themselves (and folks traveling in their RVs) - bottomline, RMDH is in the healling/helping business, not the recycling business
2) the cans can be recycled to another organization so TWO charities can reap the benefits of a single can - it's also suggested that you take the cans to a recycling facility and donate the proceeds to RMDH in addition to (or in lieu of) the tabs
3) the tab is a more pure aluminum than the can so is worth as much or more than the can itself

For more information, check out: Ronald McDonald House Charities

Shari
FWIW, according to Snopes.com the tab has the same aluminum content as the rest of the can. See: http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

Therefore, a given weight of pull tabs would have the same value as the same weight of cans. Crush the cans and they take up much less room.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 10-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Rant on, medication off,

This one has me really upset. What about the rest of the can, which weighs maybe 10 times the pull tab. Do you throw it away, if you collect 1,000 lbs of pull tabs, you would have 10,000 lbs if you included the cans.

One of the things that upset me about the Salem International, and I included in my letter to Jim Franklin and others, was the pride in collecting pull tabs, but no recycling bins anywhere on the fairgrounds. Oregon is known as a green state but no recycling bins. In addition you could be thrown out of the International for draining your ice chest on the ground, but dogs could go anywhere (but pick up the poop). Heaven forbid you would throw the dregs of your morning coffee or the ice from your drink on the ground.

Bill
Hey Bill,

No worries about the actual cans with me. All are recycled, I just take the tabs for charity.

In Massachusetts where we lived up until a couple of years ago there is a 5 cent return for each can, so most of them are being recycled. In New Hampshire where we now live many towns have mandatory recycling - my tiny town does. So all of my cans (minus their pull tabs) are being recycled.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Rant on, medication off,

Bill
Thanks for writing the letter Bill.

My folks were at International (in the dead and the dying section - we were the only people outside enjoying a happy hour) and also could not understand why there weren't any recycling bins. When they left International they lugged all of our bottles and cans with them. Lucky for them the first campground they stayed at (a KOA) had a recycling center.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Hey Bill,

No worries about the actual cans with me. All are recycled, I just take the tabs for charity.
Ditto.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
My understanding of why they only want the tab is because:[INDENT]1) tabs take up less space, problem for all but especially for the RMDH themselves (and folks traveling in their RVs) - bottomline, RMDH is in the healling/helping business, not the recycling business
and...

4) Collecting pop tabs is another way to clean up the park/campground litter before leaving. The tabs are supposed to stay on the can when it's opened, but sometimes they come off and people pitch them on the ground even though they recycle or trash the can. So cleaning up the little stuff and collecting pop tabs not only benefits charity, but it keeps the kids busy while you're packing up to go home and helps keep the parks clean.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Glad to read the positive comments about the October Blue Beret, the President's Column and the Member Idea Share column. Our members are our customers and our leaders are our members so this type of sharing seems most important.

Keep an eye out for the November Blue Beret as the Member Idea Share column is based on interviews with the chairs of the recent Region 1 Rally which attracted families and 30 children. They will be sharing their tips!

I'm also glad to see the increased use of the club's forum located at www.wbcci.org.

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Renee,

Any word on the web site committee?? I have wondered about this but there has been enough discussion on SaveWally.org on these issues (and a few others).
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
and...

4) Collecting pop tabs is another way to clean up the park/campground litter before leaving. The tabs are supposed to stay on the can when it's opened, but sometimes they come off and people pitch them on the ground even though they recycle or trash the can. So cleaning up the little stuff and collecting pop tabs not only benefits charity, but it keeps the kids busy while you're packing up to go home and helps keep the parks clean.

-J

I just don't get this - especially at the International in Salem OR!

Oregon has an extensive can and bottle recycle and reclaim law. $.05 for every can and bottle. Not just the tab - the entire thing. All those cans add up to a lot of dough.

In all my travels in Oregon, I rarely see aluminum recycle bins full of pop/beer cans - the cans have to much refund value. The organizers at Salem missed an opportunity! My guess is that the garbage guys cleaned up - and at least the cans were recycled, just not by a charitable organization.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
In the Region news, for the second month in a row, there was NOTHING to report from Region 3. This region has the largest membership in the regions. Who is in charge of writing or gathering the news for this article?
Our region had a problem with this section. The column was censored out of the Blue Beret for several months. It appears that the writer had too many good things to say and supposedly used up his allotment of space for the whole year in the first few months. So instead of editing they eliminated the whole Region 7 news section! I wonder if he stepped on a few toes or maybe made a comment which was not acceptable to the gold jackets and that is why his contribution was not published for several months.
Censorship always makes me wonder what the censors have to hide.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I just don't get this - especially at the International in Salem OR!

Oregon has an extensive can and bottle recycle and reclaim law. $.05 for every can and bottle. Not just the tab - the entire thing. All those cans add up to a lot of dough.

In all my travels in Oregon, I rarely see aluminum recycle bins full of pop/beer cans - the cans have to much refund value. The organizers at Salem missed an opportunity! My guess is that the garbage guys cleaned up - and at least the cans were recycled, just not by a charitable organization.
Janet,

Hence my comment about recycling containers. I believe that Oregon was the first state with deposit laws on aluminum and glass beverage containers.

Bill
Just my personal opinion