Old 10-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
My understanding of why they only want the tab is because:[INDENT]1) tabs take up less space, problem for all but especially for the RMDH themselves (and folks traveling in their RVs) - bottomline, RMDH is in the healling/helping business, not the recycling business
2) the cans can be recycled to another organization so TWO charities can reap the benefits of a single can - it's also suggested that you take the cans to a recycling facility and donate the proceeds to RMDH in addition to (or in lieu of) the tabs
3) the tab is a more pure aluminum than the can so is worth as much or more than the can itself
and...

4) Collecting pop tabs is another way to clean up the park/campground litter before leaving. The tabs are supposed to stay on the can when it's opened, but sometimes they come off and people pitch them on the ground even though they recycle or trash the can. So cleaning up the little stuff and collecting pop tabs not only benefits charity, but it keeps the kids busy while you're packing up to go home and helps keep the parks clean.

-J

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:01 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Glad to read the positive comments about the October Blue Beret, the President's Column and the Member Idea Share column. Our members are our customers and our leaders are our members so this type of sharing seems most important.

Keep an eye out for the November Blue Beret as the Member Idea Share column is based on interviews with the chairs of the recent Region 1 Rally which attracted families and 30 children. They will be sharing their tips!

I'm also glad to see the increased use of the club's forum located at www.wbcci.org.

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison

Old 10-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #17
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Renee,

Any word on the web site committee?? I have wondered about this but there has been enough discussion on SaveWally.org on these issues (and a few others).
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
and...

4) Collecting pop tabs is another way to clean up the park/campground litter before leaving. The tabs are supposed to stay on the can when it's opened, but sometimes they come off and people pitch them on the ground even though they recycle or trash the can. So cleaning up the little stuff and collecting pop tabs not only benefits charity, but it keeps the kids busy while you're packing up to go home and helps keep the parks clean.

-J

I just don't get this - especially at the International in Salem OR!

Oregon has an extensive can and bottle recycle and reclaim law. $.05 for every can and bottle. Not just the tab - the entire thing. All those cans add up to a lot of dough.

In all my travels in Oregon, I rarely see aluminum recycle bins full of pop/beer cans - the cans have to much refund value. The organizers at Salem missed an opportunity! My guess is that the garbage guys cleaned up - and at least the cans were recycled, just not by a charitable organization.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
In the Region news, for the second month in a row, there was NOTHING to report from Region 3. This region has the largest membership in the regions. Who is in charge of writing or gathering the news for this article?
Our region had a problem with this section. The column was censored out of the Blue Beret for several months. It appears that the writer had too many good things to say and supposedly used up his allotment of space for the whole year in the first few months. So instead of editing they eliminated the whole Region 7 news section! I wonder if he stepped on a few toes or maybe made a comment which was not acceptable to the gold jackets and that is why his contribution was not published for several months.
Censorship always makes me wonder what the censors have to hide.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I just don't get this - especially at the International in Salem OR!

Oregon has an extensive can and bottle recycle and reclaim law. $.05 for every can and bottle. Not just the tab - the entire thing. All those cans add up to a lot of dough.

In all my travels in Oregon, I rarely see aluminum recycle bins full of pop/beer cans - the cans have to much refund value. The organizers at Salem missed an opportunity! My guess is that the garbage guys cleaned up - and at least the cans were recycled, just not by a charitable organization.
Janet,

Hence my comment about recycling containers. I believe that Oregon was the first state with deposit laws on aluminum and glass beverage containers.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote