Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Not wanted?

Three times I have filled out the WBCCI online application , one more than 3 months ago , and never a response . I guess I start my own little club .
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Email Cindy Reed (Manager) and Don McKelvey (Membership chair), to let them know about your lack of response and let us know what happens.

I think that Don is on this forum.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Three times I have filled out the WBCCI online application , one more than 3 months ago , and never a response . I guess I start my own little club .
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Thanks Bill and yes I will contact 'Kipper' to try and find out what went wrong and help him become a member - sorry this has happened.

If anyone else has problems joining - drop me Don McKelvay an email at:

silverbulletspider@gmail.com

JOIN THE FUN, FRIENDS ARE FOREVER, BE ADVENTUROUS
(my personal slogan)!
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

"I've fallen and I can't get up"

Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
This sounds like my experience in joining a Unit. I attempted to contact both my geographically-local Unit and a "virtual" Unit. I tried 3 times to get in touch with the supposed membership coordinator at the local unit, from 2 different email addresses (thinking one email domain might be filtered into spam or something.) I never heard a peep, I guess they have more members than they want, or turn their noses up at old Argosies.

The virtual Unit, on the other hand, has been responsive and inclusive and now I'm a member. I guess I should be happy the local one ignored me, I might not have found the right one.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well it comes out now. I also asked to join two different UNITS. Turned down by one and no response from the other,this was several years ago and I now will never join WBCCI. They dont want people who voice thier opinion anyway, they just kick ya out.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Well it comes out now. I also asked to join two different UNITS. Turned down by one and no response from the other,this was several years ago and I now will never join WBCCI. They dont want people who voice thier opinion anyway, they just kick ya out.
uh huh...so what do you do if ya want to interact with other AS folks who are just folks? Hang out in the forum forever? Da wife and I have discussed this several times and just don't want to be caught up in another....what do I say?....selective rule oriented organization like at work? NO!...we just want to meet folks who love the roaming lifestyle and appreciate the equipment. Not for the cost or the display, but the recognition of, with the proper care and feeding, our AS'es will be the last RV we need...the heritage...the nostalgia.

Are there groups like that?
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Come to our local rally at Amboy, IL in October. I am sure you will not be disappointed. We invite new members and are a fun group with a active schedule of activities. I sent you a personal invitation via email. Check out our website at Northern Illinois
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
dnzf0g
U ask what we do. We hang out a few times a year with friends we have made at Forums rallys/get togethers and there is no pressure to join anything. We camp with everyone no matter what thier affiliation is. IT really dont matter if we make friends with campers in a tent,we just want to camp and enjoy ourselves. NOW having AIR STREAMERS to camp with is always a big plus. We like to camp with just plain folks too.
Roger
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Try us; we are an independent AS group; Some of us are WBCCI and some are TAC but most of us just are. We get together twice a year for food and friendship. We correspond on the forum to let everyone know when we will meet next "Fall Festival" in Pecatonica Illinois. View the thread and see if this is something you might be interested in.
Our RULES ARE: FUN, FOOD AND FRIENDSHIP BUT NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Come join us; but let Tom Nugler or Airtandem know you plan to attend.
See ya, mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
you can' be turned down by a unit! the only qualification is that you own an Airstream product! Back in '77 when my parents joined you had to be sponsered and approved, much like Moose or Elks. Now you just mail a check in. I doubt a unit has the right to deny membership. this unit should be reported to headquarters.
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
you can' be turned down by a unit! the only qualification is that you own an Airstream product! Back in '77 when my parents joined you had to be sponsered and approved, much like Moose or Elks. Now you just mail a check in. I doubt a unit has the right to deny membership. this unit should be reported to headquarters.
I wondered about that also.

I joined in 72 and so far as I know I did not have a sponsor back then. Don't think I even knew any one with an Airstream. Possibly some one just signed it anyway.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
What do u mean "CANT BE TURN DOWN." ??? We were. I will not say which Unit because we have friends in that unit that we camp with at least once or twice a yr and I will not lose those friends by naming names or Units.
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
What do u mean "CANT BE TURN DOWN." ??? We were. I will not say which Unit because we have friends in that unit that we camp with at least once or twice a yr and I will not lose those friends by naming names or Units.
Do those friends know that their unit turned you down?

And re: "Can't be turned down"... just because it may be technically against the rules doesn't mean those rules were followed. (I don't know that such a rule exists, I'm following on the assumption that it's true.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
I think we were turned down on purpose. We had camped with the president of the Unit about 3 different times and I know she knew who I was. I first ask for permission to join their unit thru their website,which was ignored for about a year,the unit president then (a man) ignored my request. Then a new Unit president was elected and installed and my request was immediately turn down by the Unit president.
To this day have never heard a word from either of the Cincinnati Local units. We dont want to join now, WE ARE FINE the way we are.
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Below is part of the text of the "suggested " unit constitution that is used by most units regarding membership requirements. Taken from article lll.
No where does there seem to be any provision for rejecting a potential member who owns an Airstream.
The unit in question would appear to be operating outside of their authority

Sec. 3 An applicant for membership in this Unit must submit an application in writing and, upon the payment of International and Unit dues, shall be a Regular Member of this Unit. (7/8/94)
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I have read this thread with interest as I am the Membership Chair of the 4 Corners Unit. One simply has to own an Airstream product (and pay the dues, of course) to be a member. Period. There is no other qualification required. If anyone has been told they cannot join a particular unit, that unit should be reported to International. It's just not the way it works.

The 4CUnit is based not only on the camaraderie to be found within the Airstream community and the simple joy of camping with fellow Airstreamers, but we are also a very diverse, inclusive and welcoming group of happy campers with members from across the country and Canada. That's what allows the to Unit thrive, continue to grow and remain viable. All are welcome, and no one is turned away, literally or figuratively.

If you wish to become a part of WBCCI and can't find a Unit that you are comfortable with, give the 4CU a try. Remember — as a member of any unit, you are entitled to participate in any other unit's activities, so nothing is lost by becoming a member of a unit which is not in your geographic area. Also, if you are a member of any unit you can become an Affiliate (or Associate) Member of any other unit by paying the unit portion of the dues. In the 4CUnit's case that is just $1.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Turning an application down, ignoring a members presence when they attempt to speak, filing unfounded grievances, and threatening letters from the Clubs lawyers are the current methods used to maintain the "Quality not Quantity" of membership promoted by a recent International President.

One should not take offense at having been turned down as you are more than likely an individual that can and does think about how things are and not just adhere to the ridged outdated policy manual.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Roger,
Have you checked out the NOVA unit? I know you that you already camp with some of those folks.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You're response when contacting a unit directly depends entirely upon the person receiving the contact, whether via email, snailmail, telephone, or face to face. If this individual drops the ball for any of several reasons then a problem occurrs. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote