Old 10-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
ristream'n, You are buying a "travel" trailer right? The WDCU has members from all over the country... Doug came down from Ontario to attend the rally we had this weekend in Newport News. I think everyone had a blast...My family sure did. My wife and oldest daughter both told me how glad they are that I bought our Airstream and that I forced them into going. If you find a good fit for yourself locally, than by all means join there. I am just saying that, we welcome you to come out with us and have fun, we are all about camping and having fun, not about rattling sabers and marching to drums. Our unit is dedicated to not getting wrapped up in all the political crap that you hear about on this forum. In April there will be the Cherry Blossom rally. Come on down from RI, and camp with us, it should be about 5 1/2 hours drive if you live in eastern RI, 5 3/4 if you live in the far western part of the state ... you will be able to see DC when it is it's most beautiful and meet some great folks. Good luck with you new trailer and finding yourself a unit that you can spend some quality time with. We are here and would love to have you.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #30
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
We are in the WDCU - all the way over in Reno, NV

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Barry what you're saying makes alot sense and you'll never know until you try right? Thanks. 62Overlander we will consider your unit alot too. I'm sure we'll figure it out and get involved soon. Thanks again. See you all soon.
Brian
Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi Brian,

Well this thread seems to have two very strong points that I hope you are picking up on. The First is that there are nice people who want you to join in the fun, and several units that do have an interest in seeing that you do have fun. My husband and I also belong to the WDCU as affliates and attend their rallys too for a different change of pace. We like to spend our winter vacation with them at the Cherry Blossom Rally in April. That is the beauty of a club like this. Any place, any unit, anytime, you can go and be a welcomed participant. It's a big coast to coast family.

Second, like family we crab at each other trying to make our family strong and the best. We have our structural issues BUT it's still the only club of it's kind. The fact that it is Airstream does make a difference. It is the commonality. As I said before you get as involved as you feel you can whether or not you ever become involved to the extent some of us have is not as important as the membership as a whole. Without the participants we as officers, and all the structure becomes meaningless. We will get there I think it's just we hope it's in time and with our integrety intact.

Robin

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
No blinkers here....

But I think any Committee with the right leadership can work wonders in an organization.

Perhaps this reinvented committee - will be seriously looking at the results from the extensive effort made with the 2004 membership survey!!!!. They have a wealth of information provided by it's membership on all sorts of areas of improvement as well as the very important part of this club - areas that ARE working. There is still existing long standing membership! and new people are still joining!! Of course not at the rates they were. And there is the non-renewals - where a tremendous effort should be made to identify the reasons and justify or correct the system accordingly per unit.

(even people like Peter and I who wonder between numbers, units and being Members at Large.....we just can not decide because we are not totally active YET! but do not want to loose our Big Red Numbers - it then makes it difficult to stay a Member At Large when you are not afforded the one most simple benefit of membership - YOUR VOTE!) We joined the WDCU as well but can offer not much in the way of assistance at this point - but hope to one day when we are closer to retirement!!! (no retirement is not a pre-requisite - but it certainly provides for a better opportunity to "committ" 100% of your time when you can!) and not hope you can do something and then have to pull out at the last minute or under-estimate the time you have available etc....

Getting back to the 04 Survey - if they took a close look at the stats of that survey - they would easily see what the important issues were - and set thier goals and objectives accordingly - Perhaps a followup survey would be to the Units in General!!! and how they relate to the Region - and possibly see how the "fit" is working or not in the lines of communication, and even down to a common mission statement.

But for some of us we all know what the big issue that year was - in fact since our joining in 04 that is pretty much all we have seen - either a name change and the recent fiasco with the Moho issue. We are going into 2008 people - that is 4 years!!! 0kay I am going into a place I don't like to go...

When I saw all the wonderful suggestions that people made across the US and Canada and the active things many units are doing today - and see what improvements the WBCCI has made - I cringe....

Why is it when the IBT leadership finally reach that level that each seem to fold into the mold of yesteryear.....???? It almost makes you feel you don't want to go that route at all - on a volunteer aspect. I saw it happen at the local Unit too where people are really open to suggestions and proactive until they are elected into the position of President!!! I need say no more.... poof like a magic wand comes and turns them into a pumpkin...

Yes some may say I am side liner - but I started off as a really enthusiastic member - and offered all sorts of things I could and wanted to do - but nope - there was a system in place and you had to follow that volunteer succession - or nothing....help at a rally (cleaning tables for newbies), host a rally on a list 2-3 year wait, then start at the bottom and run the gamit....

Where is the innovation....but in many other Units across the States there is the innovation, the spunk the acceptance of changing needs of membership....just not everywhere - and that is where leadership from the IBT TO THE REGION TO THE UNIT COMES IN....Communication and consistency of values is broke - and needs some help!!

The number one importance of this organization should be to it's members - NOT to it's OFFICERS... the priorities are a bit backwards - and if this is not what the club is - then the picture it paints through its communication media needs to change drastically - because that is what I for one member sees - and if one member sees this then you can bet others do.

I also see the GOOD in the club - the ideal the strength of its people - the membership - we just need for once some people to move this "ship" into smooth seas!!! and place efforts, funds and attitude toward what the membership have REALLY been asking for - THE MAJORITY of the membership - what you ask? Read the results of the 04 survey and you will find out.....

Not meant to offend anyone...just little me who carries two wbcci memberships to keep two separate numbers for our two separate trailers and gets TWO of everything sent to the same house!!! .....That have gone from ONE unit for a georgraphical area that could use 3-4 units to service it's members adequately, and gone from being a member at large to joining a Unit that has the heart in the right place but a result of the Mother Ship not recognizing the needs of its membership or even having an equitible membership system when it comes to voting.

I wish I could say I am already there - and have found the unit for us where we can be close enough to participate on a regular basis, where I could volunteer face to face, where I could offer the facilities that would meet the needs of the membership of a smaller unit - but sorry folks I can't!!

But one day we hope to...why else would we be paying TWO memberships!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarape
Why is the WBCCI such a target for people bitching on this forum?
Speaking only for myself, it is because I would like to join the WBCCI, but in all of their policies and actions, they tell me loud and clear that "this is a club for well-off retired people, any others need not apply". The "Official Airstream Club" is not a club for all Airstream owners. That's why.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
Speaking only for myself, it is because I would like to join the WBCCI, but in all of their policies and actions, they tell me loud and clear that "this is a club for well-off retired people, any others need not apply". The "Official Airstream Club" is not a club for all Airstream owners. That's why.
Ah, but if you join and participate you can actually effect the changes you want. As with anything it takes time, effort, and a plan and re-planning and taking a few on the chin, but you have to know that change will happen because there are folks who will get in place who will push for and drive home those changes. As for the comment that it's only for retired wealthy folks, by the natural order of afford-ability versus income it just happens that a lot of the folks who have or are buying Airstreams are at a time in their lives where all their very hard work over the many years has allowed them to afford an Airstream. So what - they are "us" and just because you've reached a certain age or financial position does not mean you then turn into a wing nut oldie moldy fuddy duddy who suddenly will only listen to Lawrence Welk and wear fancy clothing and compare financial statements while wearing your white tux in campgrounds. You read some of these threads, though, and you can't help but feel that you will be trapped into that situation, and you give your head a shake because you know it's just not true.

It is sad that so many people who may want to check out the WBCCI read the threads where a couple of issues are given huge visibility and then do not join. I'm as guilty as anyone of voicing my issues and it took me four years of Airstream ownership before I actually joined WBCCI. When a complaint is given visibility on this Forum and there are many individuals who are passionate about their issues and voice them here, it turns prospects away because this seems so official when in reality it is just someone expressing their own feelings - look at how worked up we all got over what clothing the executive (fewer than 30 people) were going to be wearing next June as an example of how nitty gritty we, as a whole, can get and I even lobbed a couple of emails over the wall before sanity caught up with me. It proves we are so passionate about the club that we look at it in micro mode and if you are getting that much focus it must be because this is a great club that needs some tweaking.

In reality, this Forums is about Airstream ownership and folks sharing their many wonderful camping experiences, their problems with their Airstream or some other component of camping, and all in all just a fun place to share our camping experiences, but it is not WBCCI. For many, that's enough. The WBCCI is a neat club, as many have mentioned it's been around for a very long time and it needs our support to change it to what we think it should be. It is a unique and very visible part of the Airstream history and something one should be proud to be a part of. Reading the gripes of a relative few, no matter how valid, turns so many people away from joining yet there is the vast silent majority who quite frankly don't give a darn about what goes on at the executive level but want to have fun with their peers and those are the ones I joined to meet and play with. Yeah, I'm one of those "plays well with other children" kinds of guys sometimes to my wifes great embarrassment .

WBCCI is hurting right now and for a lot of reasons, but the main one is that people are not joining or are leaving after just one year. I highly recommend that you join it, meet your WBCCI peers and you will see that every one of them is a caring human being just like yourself and just out to have fun. There's a few who are extremely passionate about how the club is run and they will do their "thing" and maybe get the changes they want addressed, but for the rest of us we'll do our part in participating at the local level, camp till we drop, and for me at least feel that I'm a part of a club that comes with a tremendous amount of history.

The cost is less than a couple of Starbucks a month, the value proposition back is that you meet the nicest people at the door of an Airstream.

I couldn't help myself - I'm just a tad tired of seeing people decide NOT to join WBCCI because of the negativity they see on these threads and as valid as they may be, if you don't join in, you can't change it. A problem to that person may go right over my head anyways, so with that in mind I'm going to quit reading this thread and go camping.

Barry
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Why is there so much bitching?

Very simple, just read this forum AND the thread regarding Jerry Larson's decision to mandate tuxedo's for his installation.

The information from the 2004 Survey clearly showed club members want LESS CEREMONY and inspite of this they continue the self serving behaviors. Can't get much simpler than that.

A word about NOT joining. I can't stress enough how important it is to stay in right now. We need the numbers. We need people who want something different so when something different is offered your there!

Region One is in serious trouble. We have one major Unit thriving and are losing the others rapidly. If you aren't in the club how would someone like myself who has considered offering a different in regards to whats availble now to give more to the Region; gain momentum and membership for a new club.

As a NEU member and VERY satisfied with my membership in that growing group, I still see a potential need for other clubs to survive in that area. OR new ones to erupt from the ashes, with radical ideas.

If for example people in the Northeast don't join I have no membership to draw from. No people with like ideas to help me form this other radial group who just want less goverment not more. Where will the membership come from. I love NEU but the bigger picture is the Region when we talk about club survival.

Just think about this please. What if I were willing to break off and try to re-structure a new Unit with minimal structure like the 4 Corners and Texas group did. Some may remember I had considered it in the past when my unit continued to fail. I had 16 members. It may have worked but who knows. Would that be enough?

Just food for thought...sometimes you are powerful to those of us willing to go the distant just being in rather than being OUT! Please join and help us.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #37
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I resent being called retired or rich... I am neither. I work almost everyday of the week and drive a seven year old truck. My wife just replaced her 12 year old Honda, with a new Honda. I have been to the third world, so yes I am extremly rich by their standards, but earn far less per year than most of my clients spend on maintaining their yards. However, I am a proud owner of a vintage Airstream and a proud member of the WDCU, which also makes me a member of the WBCCI. I am raising a new generation of Airstreamers and hopefully WBCCI members. We are in this club to camp and have fun. If what is going on is not fun to us, we can always hook up and beat it down the road. I just wish folks would stop the bitchen about the IBT. What a waste of everyone's time. Get involved with making you objectives for this club possible. Do what you want. Wear what you want. Think what you want. Stop harshing everyone's aluminum buzz with all this bitchen... put words to action.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Sorry, just don't agree that squelching the noise is the answer. It's an opportunity to learn something.

Anyway, it's been great to debate this issue with you all I have enjoyed reading and particpating as I'm home recovering from surgery and working on the Rally's my husband & I will be running for the 2008 year.

I'm just one who is ready to listen to it all and think there is value it both sides. I do by the way agree that it does turn some people off. On the other hand if I didn't tune in every now and then I wouldn't have a clue it's even taking place if someone didn't post it.

Truth is I would rather see it here than spend my free Airstream camping time debating it around the campfire now that's a REAL turn off!

Lets me enjoy my time with my NEU family and lets me get it off my chest every now and then out here.

On a positive note NEU did apparently read the 2004 survey and responded to the general requests of the membership. Shorter Caravans, more attention to Family and Youth, in short much of what the survey did tell us about the membership and what they wanted. Might be why they are growing so rapidly. If you don't believe it look at the website when the 2008 calander comes out. You will see a Caravan that's one week long, a youth rally and variety. It's not rocket science just ask the people what they want and give it to them.

Anyway it's been great and Thanks again for your insights and comments. Robin

Old 10-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I resent being called retired or rich... I am neither.
Didn't mean to insult you. I went to the WDCU website and it looks like you have a good group of varying ages including children. That is the way it should be. It also looks like you have many vintage Airstream owners .

From what I have read, many of the WBCCI events (not the local chapter events) are planned for during the week. That does make it hard for working people to participate. However, if you are retired.......

I have no problem with the WBCCI except that it seems that the national leadership doesn't have any interest in accomodating younger working families. I may be wrong, but there has been plenty of discussion on this board from younger WCCI members.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I don't usually respond to these threads - to me it's like voting - if you don't you have no right to complain. And since I am not a member... But, yeah you knew that was coming, just want to add a comment.

When we got our A/S last summer I was all fired up to join based on what I thought I knew about the organization. Off to Region 4 web site - do some reading - then I hit the photo gallery. The other half took a look and said "if you do - you'll do it without me". Tried to ask a question through their Comment Section and the link has been disabled for over a year..? I've related that story here before. But I keep going back and looking - even called Jackson Center to see if they still had my old numbers available. There is something about the allure of the club - at least what I thought it was about (and I have wanted an Airstream since I was 16 years old - that's another story).

So tonight I linked to the Region maps again thanks to 65GT. Start looking at the units again - most don't have any statement about what they are about (except a very good one by Akron). Most units don't even have a web page.
Go back to the Columbus Unit and look at the activities again - then I spy lunch at Friendship Village - noooo - it can't be. Sure is.... a retirement home.

Guess I'm not sure what you could bring to this party. In case you can't tell I do struggle with this - it was supposed to be part of the deal... Thanks for letting me think out loud.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #41
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Come camp with us... Airstream club vintage trailer WDCU WBCCI region 2 Unit 170
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Almost every bit of what is good in WBCCI is the local units. There are many that do a great job but even more that are having a tough go of it.

The '08 NEU schedule is pretty amazing -- I don't know how you guys keep up.

__
Check out the latest comments from this weekends lost dutchman rally in Mystic, CT. See the link to utube - they are an amazing, crazy bunch. I don't know if they have a formula, but they should write a textbook on how to run a unit and attract members. Although aluminum is non ferrous, this unit is a member magnet. They sign up new members right from the campground; even if it's from a campground they're not camping at but just happening to drive by while at a rally and see something shiny. Sorry to get off topic, but these unit members are very passionate about camping, sightseeing, recreational activities and having fun. Maybe I'm just oblivious to the background chatter, but if that's the case, it's pretty well hidden.

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote