Old 10-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ristream'n
For us, this is what it's all about. Airstreams, campfires and having fun. Right now

Looking forward to meeting you soon Brian!

That's exactly what we're looking for!! We'll just steer clear of the unwanted stuff. We're very much looking forward to joining the NEU and meeting you too!!!!!
As I see it, ya gotta go with Vintage Thunder. Check NEU's newsletter, the "Quipper" and the Pres message - sums up the goals, ideals, mission statement, etc of this fun group.

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
peegreen, Is the newsletter on the website for NEU?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
No, not sure why. I'll see what I can do. The NEU already has 24 scheduled, planned activities for 2008. Often times impromptu gatherings are also oraganized. Wish I could attend them all.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Hi Brian,

If you need a newsletter let me know I'll forward you a copy. If you haven't joined NEU just attend one rally and I promise you will be hooked. This is a club that focuses on camping & fun with politics way in the background.

I do however understand where Ed is coming from after 8 years in the club and going though the politics you do sometimes just have to wonder what the thought process is at the top.

But the beauty of it all is "you don't have to go there" you can be a part of a club and get what you want out of it. If camping and fun and meeting others who enjoy the same thing is your cup of tea. It's there for you.

Robin
Is this a good reason to check it out?

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Who Pissed in My Cornflakes?

Leo, Yep you got it right and that is my biggest complaint, no change in the way things are done to enhance the club. This committee is all smoke and mirrors and a big waste. As Shari and you stated we had this under Don and it was getting some great ideas from the membership why start over. I guess those of us that were on it are not worthy to provide ideas to this new President and he wants his own 5. Hey I guess every President wants to make his mark, but to study (again) and not take action is a waste.

To make things sadder is seems that we are in the minority, I think those that are members and donít get real involved donít see a need for change. But then again they also donít pay attention to the reduction of numbers in membership, the struggle that some units have just to survive and fill the officer positions; the Unit is the lifeblood of the club. Each his own but if someone doesnít say something (and it seems it needs to be said over and over and over) and get the leadership to understand there is a new generation of Airstream owner out there the club will die, period.

Jim, who pissed in my Cornflakes? Iíll tell you who, those that sit in the sidelines and donít get involved, those who donít understand that the declining membership of the WBCCI means death to my club. Leadership who is stuck in the 60ís, leadership who is afraid to make a change but will spend years studying it, leadership who only care about their self interests and not that of the club (can you say Motor Home Vote), that donít care about the core traditions that this club was founded on. Who pissed in my Cornflakes? Wasted time on useless things that will not help this club and most of all people who want to put their heads in the sand and say all is ok. I think that I have enough ďtime in gradeĒ to see things as they are and feel I have a right as a long time WBCCI member to speak out. But what you also have to understand Jim is I donít sit on the sidelines and bitch, I get right in the ring with them and slug it out. The ďValueĒ? Wow I donít know, but Iíll tell you one thing I have spent years supporting the club and being asked by my fellow members to continue to do so. Iíll let it go at that.

Hey, if you donít like what I have to say, donít read my posts, my name is right there, no handles for me, you know who I am.. Hey itís America you are free to do as you see fit!

Its time for Breakfast!
Ed
Past WI Unit President
Past VAC President
Past a whole bunch of other jobs that might not be all that important
Region 7 BB Editor
WBCCI #4425
Candidate for Region 7 2nd VP
Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Okay, I just can't help myself, I have to jump in on this one and go back to the threads original intent.

I don't think the people who are moving into the top have enough experience with today's leadership styles to recognize that it's not effective to continue a top to bottom method. I totally agree with the comments regarding the committee piece.

A President of a Unit OR in the IBT has one year. If they are not setting up a committee that operates effectively from year to year continuing to report and work on the problem it is ineffective because the goals are never achieved.

We have spent too much time gathering information in regards to appointing committees and not supporting ONE committee regarding membership our biggest issue. To effect change a President or organization needs to focus and accept that in this type of structure all change is a grass roots effort that must continue from administration to administration. One committee that hits one issue.

I think this is the biggest failure in the administration and our ability to get the job done.

Robin
PS I wish you were closer you need a hug. You've worked really hard all these years and it's getting to you.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarape
Ed, who pissed in your Cornflakes? Why is the WBCCI such a target for people bitching on this forum?

Some threads should be deleted by the mods for being of low quality, useless, you added nothing to this site, the WBCCI and you have not represented yourself as a mature person.

So Ed, come back and tell us, what value have you added to the WBCCI or this site with rants?

Jim, good luck, whatever.

PS. I need some help getting my red numbers straight, I'm in East Orlando.
Thank You, jacarape

This thread should have it's title changed to:

"OH NO, NOT ANOTHER WBCCI BASHING THREAD".
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Can't help myself again...you know if people don't communicate good with the bad things don't change. The upcoming generation has something to say and bring to the table in regards of the shaping of the club and the direction for the future.

Reading the forums, the BB, and being one of those "Liaison People" I think IBT is listening but in one year it’s really not easy to effect serious change that will continue into the next. This “new plan” although at first blush looks to be another “fact finding” adventure. It does at least in it’s basic concept look like it might recognize that there needs to be some continuation of at least one body of work done since the WBCCI Survey of 2004 that will develope and progress into the next administration so something actually gets resolved or thoroughly explored.

It is hard for us long term members and volunteers to watch units failing and seeing the same mistakes repeated over the years. I guess I just don’t see this as bashing. If you lead you must be open to criticism. Just do it in good taste and without malice.

Ed has put in his time. I am very interested in what he says BECAUSE he is involved, speaks from experience at a level of participation not everyone is willing to assume. As a leader I would pay less attention when the criticism comes from someone who has not given as he has. I think when you have so much energy and a good heart willing to give and give as he has as a volunteer of this WBCCI it makes it that much harder to watch the destruction and feel helpless to change it. We love the WBCCI as much as much as anybody and fear for the future.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Reminder

Just a friendly reminder that we have both a long tradition and policy of being courteous to one another here. Please refrain from speculation regarding which bodily function was executed in whose morning nutritional partaking. Similarly, please focus your commentary on the issues being raised as opposed to evaluating the people involved. Thanks.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
But the beauty of it all is "you don't have to go there" you can be a part of a club and get what you want out of it. If camping and fun and meeting others who enjoy the same thing is your cup of tea. It's there for you.

Robin, I haven't joined yet. Just waiting to get our new AS then my wife and I will do it. The NEU sounds like it will be perfect for what we're looking for.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:

Robin, I haven't joined yet. Just waiting to get our new AS then my wife and I will do it. The NEU sounds like it will be perfect for what we're looking for.
Good for you Brian, you get your Airstream and come along. Oh heck why wait come along even BEFORE you get the Airstream. Look up the activity schedule in the Newsletter (you have to let me send it private e-mail as I can't work the forum e-mail as well but I believe something is going on in your neighborhood this coming week) and just drop in say hello.

Airstreamers in general are the kind of group that will welcome you with or without your AS as it is just a matter of time before you will have yours. NEU is particularly easy going in regards to visitors to the rallies. We love them!

Robin

Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
ristream'n, I joined the WDCU... we are all about camping and having fun. You are welcome to come camp with us anytime and we have a web site Airstream club vintage trailer WDCU WBCCI region 2 Unit 170 Dues is one dollar and there are no starched shirts in the group.
Ed are you surprised that a committee is being "chosen"? That will make it easy to justify no changes. give the appearance of democracy and no one can complain... works well in our Federal government and it will work well for the IBT too. Maybe you need to start your own club and then it will be just like you want. With so many members, everyone will never be happy.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
62overlander, I checked the link to the WDCU page and it was a bit interesting. Still looks like alot of traveling for weekends etc. Am I wrong?
Brian
Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
OK I know I'm going to start something here but here goes. I'm a newbie with a new AS coming in a few weeks. After reading alot of threads I think the negatives far outweigh the positives when it comes to WBCCI membership. So here's the question, as someone with no history or loyalty to the club yet why would I join?
Brian
Brian -

you cannot change the things in the WBCCI that you find bothersome if you are not a member. You also can't experience the "issues" that bother others for yourself first hand to determine if these issues are in fact even issues for you or relevant to you and the local unit you join.

There are those who see a problem and demand change and are driving hard toward that. There are others who see problems and are determined to sort through them with a different less adversarial approach. The formation of the Four Corners Unit is one of many examples where through a good business case and a measured approach change was made.

Every one has their preference on how to drive the changes they wish. Neither one is right or wrong, but for someone looking "in" and thinking gosh, there is nothing here but complaints and demands about the club so it must be totally rotten, sadly they are being led astray. Get into a good group and actively participate and you will realize that like anything else there is good and there is stuff you wish were different, but for the vast majority of the time the bothersome stuff is completely off the map and has little if any local impact.

In truth the club is still all about what it was when it was first started - getting together with a group of locals and camping and making good friends, seeing some great parts of the country. It's about camaraderie and good times.

Try it for a couple of years and if then you find that all the hullabaloo is too much then at least you've met some wonderful folks you can continue to camp with, and during that time hopefully you've had a chance to find out what the real issues are and you have made an effort to make your thoughts known. The club will change, there is no doubt about this, but for some it's not going to be fast enough and for others it didn't happen soon enough for them to stay members.

Everyone has a valid reason in their mind for responding the way they do, but the one thing for certain about this is that if you do not join you will never have even had the chance to try it.

I am glad to see you decided to join in.

Barry