Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Newbie with organizational questions

Greetings,

I am new to Airstreams and trailers in general for that matter. My wife grew up with them, and her parents were full time Airstreamers until a couple of years ago. We are now the caretakers of their beloved 1997 34' Excella.

I have been following the thread on the current WBCCI meeting with great interest, but do not understand the organizations structure. Reading the thread it sounds like there is a rather large number of people involved in national positions for a group this size.

Would someone please provide or point me to the WBCCI 101 course?

Thanks
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Craig and Carol, Have you taken a look here. http://www.wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageSRC=FAQs

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Craig & Carol -- Welcome to Airstreaming.

I think WBCCI is a little cumbersome today, but I also believe it will be changing and streamlining before to much longer. I also haven't paid a lot of attention to the Intl leadership before, because the heart of WBCCI is at the Unit level. It's at the Unit level that we enjoy fun, fellowship and adventure.

With all that said, if you really want to "see" the structure, you'll have to read the "Blue Book." http://www.wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageSRC=General_Info. It is the book the leadership (at all levels) receive. It is the Constitution, Bylaws, Unit Model, etc. Good luck.

While you're on the WBCCI website, look up your local Unit and give them a call.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
Thank you, I will read through all of this. The question that I keep having is that it appears from the threads I have been following is it appears the national officers are reimbursed for not only expenses incurred in support of the club, but also the cost of the rallies they attend; is that correct? If so, why would they be reimbursed for something they would be attending anyway? This is different from any of the other non-profits I have served on or been a member of. Only documented expenses were reimbursed. Otherwise you set up a $$ incentive to remain in a leadership position as opposed to leading in order to better the organization.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Makes you wonder doesn't it?
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
It does make me wonder, and the answer will determine whether my family joins the WBCCI. An organization with a rich heritage which my inlaws were so proud to be members of for many, many years.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 01-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Reading all the stuff on this subject will make your eyes bleed. I don't think the $50 is that big a deal but knowing how it's being used does kind of gnaw on you. I wish there was an easy solution but it appears that there are a bunch of egos involved.

Cheers,
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Anyone that aspires to leadership in any organization has a big ego. We have as many "leaders" now as when we did when we had 28,000 members. 35% of our dues go to cover the "Leaders" expenses. They travel broadly, partially paid for by the member's dues. They attend lots of meetings thorough out the country and wear funny formal clothes and like to be the center of attention. It satisfies their egos.

The club is run to meet their egos and needs. It satisfies their desires for subsidized travel and adoration. Until they are forced to, they will not change the way the club is operated. The RV club scene now has a number of competitors, so you can chose the club which best meets your needs. If caravaning at low cost and attending many locally sponsored (some called Special national rallies) is what you intend to do, WBCCI offers that. Stroking these people's egos for $65 a year might make it worth it. The overall cost of membership per year might turn out to be less than paying a low entry fee, like Good Sam, and then paying a higher price to attend their events and caravans.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
I joined Good Sam yesterday, and will attend a non-WBCCI Airstream event in April. I should be the ideal target member for WBCCI; Airstream owner, 48 yrs old, family, professional with enough income to afford the events should I choose to attend. Unfortunately I can't get past the policies of the WBCCI National Leadership. It is like the corporation which is bleeding money. The Senior Execs meet and decide that they are going to increase the price of their goods, and slash employee benefits. When the next quarter rolls around and they see costs have gone down, they reward themselves for a job well done with large bonuses. All the while the amount of goods being shipped out the door continues to decrease due to increased retail cost, and quality slips due to disgruntled employees.

The concept of listening to the employees (WBCCI membership), keeping them happy so that they turn out high quality products (new members, and good value for dues $), is lost on the above Senior Execs.

It is apparent even to someone on the outside like me (who was looking forward to joining WBCCI and participating in its rich club history) that the club has huge financial problems. Until the leadership steps up to the plate, the membership won't.

It should be a given that those who aspire to be leaders of the WBCCI are also the same individuals who enjoy the caravans and regional rallies. They would attend them as well, therefore should not be reimbursed for it. They should be reimbursed for postage, office products, internet service, and phone charges incurred in the execution of their elected duties. The meetings should be conducted in conjunction with the regional and national rallies. Any expenses over and above the rally cost which any regular member would pay should be considered for reimbursement, but only with oversight and receipts.

If meetings are deemed necessary outside the above events, there are several web based solutions out there which can be just as effective for a hundredth of what is currently being spent (or even less).

These are simple first steps to save the club finances, and they aren't hard. I would implore those who are members to return the WBCCI to a status which will attract new members and cause it to flourish once again.

I have often told those who complain about how an organization is run to step forth and volunteer or run for office. Unfortunately, as I understand the current rules, I am ineligible since I am not retired. The company I work for trusts me to command a 100 million dollar aircraft hauling you and your loved ones across the ocean hours away from a same landing strip, but I can not serve the WBCCI?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 01-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
I was 16 when my parents bought a 4 month old '77 Sovrereign, used once. I nagged and nagged my father to take us to Int'l.....I was more into it than my parents!
We finally sold the '77 three years ago (I regret) bought a '96 34 and a year ago an '04 34.
I'm also Region 1 2nd VP at 48 yo
my take on this, and I've voiced this to the chairman of the 20/20 committee.......we have a management structure based on 28,000 members, but we have 6,000
we grew in the 60's and 70's to our peak, at the time we joined.....mid 70's
My question is what was the structure last time we had 6 or 7 thousand members?
We need to downsize bigtime, and focus on the Unit level?
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Dan,

I bet if the 2020 committee suggested this, that committee would be terminated!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
top of georgia

too bad you are taking a pass on the wbcci. georgia has one of the biggest unit's in the club and top of georgia airstream park is a true gem and excellent value - for members only.

see Top of Georgia Airstream Park

hope you reconsider.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
My thoughts

I've followed the responses to Aviator's posting with interest. I too am a relative newcomer (2008) and find the many controversies surrounding WBCCI and the IBT interesting. I make my living in the non-for-profit world so issues surrounding WBCCI are always of interest to me.

There is no question that the WBCCI needs change. What that is, I'm not sure, but in today's world "if we are doing the same things and expecting different results" then we are all wasting our time. WBCCI does seem to be a bit too stuck in the past.

Change will come about one way or the other. And, right now, it seems to be through the dramatic drop off in membership in the WBCCI. There are, I'm sure, many reasons for this; not the least of which is the pressure today to "make ends meet". You noticed that I said earlier that I "make" (not made) my living in the non-for profit world. I'm sixty-four and I don't see hanging it up ocurring anytime soon. The time that I am able to spend on long-weekend rallies, Internationals, Caravans, etc., much less be a unit volunteer, is slim and none. So, my wife and I take our trips "our" way, which unfortunately is not in the mainstream of WBCCI. I agreed to assume a volunteer position with my unit (is it a trustee?). I've already regretted that a bit because my 2010 calender is such that the unit may see very little of us this year.

Finally I do want to take exception with one point raised in the "thread" - that of the issue of reimbursing officers for ther travel to events, meetings, etc. I do appreciate the time and money folks are willing to spend to show the flag. Visibility and participation by the leadership of any organization is in my opinion, vital to the maintaining member support. However, I remember having a conversation with a key volunteer as to why he was reluctant to take on a higher level of responsibility within our region. His answer was because of the "time and expense". If we would like to see them from time to time, how can we be sure that our officers, etc. would travel to these events "anyway"? But, that in itself may not be the answer. There are aspects of WBCCI and Airstreaming that in my opinion are terrific (this website for one) and there are aspects of it that surely needs work ( take a look at the currrent IBT photo gallery - it sure does not reflect the realities of the demographics of our world today).
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
I've followed the responses to Aviator's posting with interest. I too am a relative newcomer (2008) and find the many controversies surrounding WBCCI and the IBT interesting. I make my living in the non-for-profit world so issues surrounding WBCCI are always of interest to me.

There is no question that the WBCCI needs change. What that is, I'm not sure, but in today's world "if we are doing the same things and expecting different results" then we are all wasting our time. WBCCI does seem to be a bit too stuck in the past.

Change will come about one way or the other. And, right now, it seems to be through the dramatic drop off in membership in the WBCCI. There are, I'm sure, many reasons for this; not the least of which is the pressure today to "make ends meet". You noticed that I said earlier that I "make" (not made) my living in the non-for profit world. I'm sixty-four and I don't see hanging it up ocurring anytime soon. The time that I am able to spend on long-weekend rallies, Internationals, Caravans, etc., much less be a unit volunteer, is slim and none. So, my wife and I take our trips "our" way, which unfortunately is not in the mainstream of WBCCI. I agreed to assume a volunteer position with my unit (is it a trustee?). I've already regretted that a bit because my 2010 calender is such that the unit may see very little of us this year.

Finally I do want to take exception with one point raised in the "thread" - that of the issue of reimbursing officers for ther travel to events, meetings, etc. I do appreciate the time and money folks are willing to spend to show the flag. Visibility and participation by the leadership of any organization is in my opinion, vital to the maintaining member support. However, I remember having a conversation with a key volunteer as to why he was reluctant to take on a higher level of responsibility within our region. His answer was because of the "time and expense". If we would like to see them from time to time, how can we be sure that our officers, etc. would travel to these events "anyway"? But, that in itself may not be the answer. There are aspects of WBCCI and Airstreaming that in my opinion are terrific (this website for one) and there are aspects of it that surely needs work ( take a look at the currrent IBT photo gallery - it sure does not reflect the realities of the demographics of our world today).
Hi Jack, thank you for your post and glad to make your acquaintence. I wish there were many more of you. I appreciate your involvement and propensity to share your feelings with the public.

I wonder if there should be a division between retirees and working folks in the WBCCI. Both have their members in number but are very different in scope and ambition.

There is certainly members enough to support both demographics but i think the reason there is much turmoil is to expect one group to fund the recreation of the other. There needs to be a balnce of benefits and expenditures. I thank you for your post and hope we all can work towards resolution in spending and dues balance for the scope of the entire WBCCI.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
CJ, Thanks I've posted a few times, but this is the first time I've commented at all on the state of things. Hope are paths will cross soemtime. I really liked your beofre and after photos. You both have carried the years well! Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote