Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Newbie Q: Can you just the VAC or do you need join WBCCI?

All--

I'm not much of club person. That said, I appreciate clubs where where the entrance requirement involves more than a pocketbook but sweat, frustration... and the occasional blood sacrafice, usually self inflicted.

I'm casual by nature and like folks that are silly enough to start taking apart basically a fully functional trailer to just "make it better" and make it "what I like". Not to mention the fact we can... and would do it anyway.

I'd like to join the VAC, but have little interest with WBCCI Administration direction. Now the fact that VAC folks are silly enought to buy a trailer that is often almost broken... and make it well better... that could be my kind of club.

Are the two clubs interexplictably intertwined? Or could I just join the VAC?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
The VAC is an Intra club of the WBCCI so yes you would have to join WBCCI to be part of the VAC.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Ron
Thanks for asking the question that was in the back of my mind.(what little is left) I have no desire to join a national orgaination that has its main office here but not active locals. Im not intrested in pomp and ceremony either but I would join a VAC orgainzation of some kind.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Ron
Thanks for asking the question that was in the back of my mind.(what little is left) I have no desire to join a national orgaination that has its main office here but not active locals. Im not intrested in pomp and ceremony either but I would join a VAC orgainzation of some kind.
Roger
Join the WBCCI and then Enjoy the VAC if enough people like you would join the club will change and be what you would like it to be. We are looking for new members all the time that just want to have fun and go camping. Change is slow and I am hoping that it will bring in more people with your mind set. Come and join us.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Change comes slow

We bought our first Airstream, a 16' ccd BAmbi in 2004. We were so excited about the trailer, the history and all it represented. We joined the WBCCI right away thinking about how much fun it would be to be part of an organization that we had heard of before this. ----Then reality set in! The old guard reared it's ugly head and we realize what it's really like. After the first year of what I call a waste of time and money we didn't renew. --- Back then people were saying stick in there, be a part of it, CHANGE COMES SLOW. That's the only thing I've heard that was absolutely true. 4 years and 3 Airstreams later, the same complains , problems, same griping. The only thing I have seen that was common among members is product locality, and if you consider the Motor Home issue that isn't totally true. ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Mikethefixit--

Yes, I was just wondering also... the then later took a a look at the VAC logo and it had WBCCI on it. I stumbled onto my own answer.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Andrew--

I like the passion of the VAC folks, but when I join something I tend to dive in. My girlfriend notes... "uh oh, you are getting that focused look"... and the a year of my life goes by but I'm darn close to an expert in something new. ;^)

If I joined the WBCCI, I honestly could meet the time commitent to try and help fix it... and that would irritate me. Catch-22.

So far I'm very happy with the folks I've met on Airforums and the guideance from the more experienced ones. The one rally we attended that was simple post and 10 Airstreams showed up. It's low-key, takes full advantage of the web, is convenient and not bureaucratic. No meetings to attend, just good people and a great community.

What can I say, I like it and it fits my busy life.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Mike L--

You get points for hanging in there but I understand the disappointment. The one rally we attended folks just warned us that this rally would not be up to WBCCI snuff, is very losely organized the the pinnacle of the organizaition was about to the occur... the pot luck.

No meetings, no speeches, etc, ect. So far, I rather invest my time here on the forums and shoot for the occasion rally as they bet announced... but only if I get all the silicone off my newly acquired airstream. ;^)
Old 07-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Go Tin Can Tourists

I suggest Tin Can Tourists it sounds like just what you are looking for. It's for any RV 25 years and older but there are a lot of Air Streams at the gatherings, which are a ball by the way. No pomp no circumstance. I too wish you did not have to be in the WBCCI to be in the VAC. I really wish some version of the VAC would develop as a stand alone organization. It's time for a "Tea Party".
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Call me crazy but I am enjoying both clubs. I get a lot more out of the VAC just because I am with like minded people. However, with that said, the folks in our local WBCCI Chapter are really a fun, warm and welcoming group of people. But hey....it's Colorado.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Folks--

I'll look at the Tin Can Tourists... and I'm going to have to sneak into a WBCCI event and look for cool, fun people. I will have a hard time should I join WBCCI since I'm more likely to fly political flags at a rallies (well, it is an election year ). My mostly like political plank this season is "Pro-Margarita".
Old 07-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I suggest Tin Can Tourists it sounds like just what you are looking for. It's for any RV 25 years and older but there are a lot of Air Streams at the gatherings, which are a ball by the way. No pomp no circumstance. I too wish you did not have to be in the WBCCI to be in the VAC. I really wish some version of the VAC would develop as a stand alone organization. It's time for a "Tea Party".
I keep reading posts on Air Forums that say that the Tin Can Tourists are a vintage club, and true that is its emphasis, but it is open to anyone with any kind of RV no matter the age, old or new. From the web site: "The new version of Tin Can Tourists is open to all. Its goal is to abide by the original group's objectives and guiding principles as well as the promotion and preservation of vintage trailers and motor coaches through Gatherings and information exchange."
Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I keep reading posts on Air Forums that say that the Tin Can Tourists are a vintage club, and true that is its emphasis, but it is open to anyone with any kind of RV no matter the age, old or new. From the web site: "The new version of Tin Can Tourists is open to all. Its goal is to abide by the original group's objectives and guiding principles as well as the promotion and preservation of vintage trailers and motor coaches through Gatherings and information exchange."
Looks like they've taken the line from VAC, which welcomes owners of vintage rigs as members and folks interested in vintage rigs as associate members.

Speaking of which, Maria and I just joined VAC and hope to be able to attend the RMVAC rally next week if there's space left. We just sent in the registration yesterday, but snail mail from Angel Fire to the rest of the world takes longer than it does from Siberia.

Lynn
Old 07-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Siiberia= Angel Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Looks like they've taken the line from VAC, which welcomes owners of vintage rigs as members and folks interested in vintage rigs as associate members.

Speaking of which, Maria and I just joined VAC and hope to be able to attend the RMVAC rally next week if there's space left. We just sent in the registration yesterday, but snail mail from Angel Fire to the rest of the world takes longer than it does from Siberia.

Lynn

Last time I was in Angel Fire it was like Siberia,maybe global warming will help.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post

Lynn
That is great. Jan and I look forward to meeting you there.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote