Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Should the WBCCI Name be changed?
Yes, Change it! 38 34.86%
No, Leave it alone! 71 65.14%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnzbernd
The Board of Trustees voted unanimously to change the name and adopt a new logo. Regular members will have an opportunity to vote yes or no (or amend) through their units and unit delegate at the 2006 International Rally. You will learn to what and why in future editions of the Blue Beret.
Couple of points - just by your post can I interpret that we are now been given direction that a name change will be iminent and that due process, research, studies actually involving and recruiting WBCCI members input beyond this forum and the Blue Buret will now be solicited? Or are you saying there is a Name that the IBT has approved that subsequently will need member ratification via Unit meetings and then at the delegates meeting in June.

Quote:
I find it interesting to read "it's not the name that needs to be fixed - - it's a lot of other things", or words to that effect. How about elaborating on those "other things" to your unit, region and international officers so they can work on fixes.
This is amazing - not to sound to sarcastic and I sure hope that a chuckle does not come through my typing - but if you and your committee had taken more than a few hours to actually research and give this Constitutional Change it's due process then you just might find out about the "other things" and instead of being on a Name Change Committee you may have been heading a Club Improvement Committee to communicate with your members and come up with brilliant ways for your IBT to actually lead this club into the new era - rather than tear down its history.

Quote:
I have suggested to our officers that they need to look at this Forum from time to time, so you may or may not be heard here. There are more appropriate and action oriented avenues, e.g., your unit and region officers.
I caution your officers then - to enter at own risk - there is a lot of passion here at these forums from both WBCCI members and non-members. I am sure there are a lot of Forum members here who at one time were WBCCI members. A statistic I would love to see from my own unit.

A simple observation - WBCCI is not falling down in attracting new members - they are falling down in KEEPING their members. Just on that simple premis alone - do you still think it is the NAME of the Club that needs to change - or is it how the Club operates that needs to change?

Take a close look at how this whole Name Change process has been handled. If you had a chance to put all your members in one room and asked how many members actually new about the change or understood the need for a change what would that vote be???

If change is needed then so be it - but change should be brought about through thorough reasoning and not a whim of a few members that like to fill out a questionnaire - or a few Executives that have a hard time trying to explain what WBCCI is.

Airstream Inc is in the business of making a product that can provide a "lifestyle" for its customers. Their recent marketing Video dipicts that with perfection melding the history with the present day.

WBCCI should be in the business of maintaining that lifestyle and the ideals of its founder for all its valued members through programs and activities for all ages and all walks of life. Surely you can see that changing the name to something completely different will not secure this Clubs future.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #62

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
I find it interesting to read "it's not the name that needs to be fixed - - it's a lot of other things", or words to that effect. How about elaborating on those "other things" to your unit, region and international officers so they can work on fixes.

I have suggested to our officers that they need to look at this Forum from time to time, so you may or may not be heard here. There are more appropriate and action oriented avenues, e.g., your unit and region officers.
Wow don't get me started/

The problem is that in many cases you are preaching to the choir.

Suggestions that I made months ago on the WBCCI forum site and email to JC headquarters noted the fact that nobody chose to go back to the folks who left to find out why. Instead the current membership gets a survey to fill out. Well hell, most of those folks are happy with the status quo. Did anyone go after the folks who didn't renew their free first year's memberhip? There's the lessons to be learned. There's the answers to what needs to be fixed.

I sent emails out to WBCCI in Jackson Center requesting that the survey results be made available via the web site. Nothing came out of it.

A local institution in St. Louis did an Airstream as art exibit. They emailed WBCCI regional folks regarding assistance in getting some trailers to display. No answer from WBCCI...

You know this is part of the problem that needs fixing. How do I convince the local or regional leadership that we have a problem when they are so focused on doing it the way it its always been done?

The bottom line to this all is that except for a few pockets of forward thinking units, the organization will continue to contract due to death of the old guard. New members will join, and then turn right back out, and until someone starts asking those people why, we will continue to think that cosmetic changes like the renaming the organization will be what is needed to turn things around.

Sorry to be so negative but it just blows my mind how a group of mature experienced people running an organization can't seem to understand where they need to go to get the answers as to where the problems are. Unless you address the revolving door with new members, nothing else matters.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Bring in the lawyers ...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I'm thinking we need to get attorneys involved in a members' rights action with a cease and desist order (if that's doable) on this one. This has turned into a sorry joke.__
65GT:

I cannot think of any better way to spread Wally's four freedoms - freedom from arrangements, freedom from the problem of age, freedom to know and freedom for fun (!) - than to bring in a fistful of lawyers to argue, bicker, bitch, complaint, nitpick and procedurally parse the proper club name. Sounds to me like a winning formula by which to escape from the cares of everyday living. Hey, what a great recruiting theme - the travel club run by lawyers for the benefit of all! Where can I sign up for a lifetime of lawyer determined fun??
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #64
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I voted NO.
WBCCI #1801
Old 01-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
The Board of Trustees voted unanimously to change the name and adopt a new logo. Regular members will have an opportunity to vote yes or no (or amend) through their units and unit delegate at the 2006 International Rally. You will learn to what and why in future editions of the Blue Beret.

R.B.,
I agree that discussing such topics on this forum doesn't directly accomplish anything within the WBCCI, but it does allow us to collectively refine our thoughts so that they can be presented in a logical and complete fashion to our WBCCI unit and region officers. I have already begun this process by contacting my unit and region officers via email. To date I have received replies from my region, but not unit officers. In my communications I have presented the reasons why I do not support this name change and I have indicated that I would follow up with ideas on how to help the club attract and retain new members, which will require changes that are much more important than a "not so simple" name change. That diolog went on hold when everyone left for the IBT meeting. I will be following up with them soon to continue the dialog. I would love the opportunity to even extend these discussions to the International officers (a couple of which I have met), but alas, I do not have their email addresses, nor even phone numbers. I am not comfortable reverting to snail mail to contact them, especially knowing that they are away from home attending events 95% of the time.

And to get back to the original vote, I did not participate in the survey in 2004, because we had just joined the club but had not even attended an event yet, so I did not feel I had any basis to form an opinion at that time. I do not beleive I was even informed that a vote was coming from my unit, nor when and where that vote would be taken. In retrospect it appears that the vote was taken at a rally that we did not attend. If only those in attendance got the opportunity to vote, I'd suspect that maybe 10-20% of my unit even had the opportunity to express their opinion based upon attendance at other events. The rest of us were left out. Not everyone can attend all unit events (especially those of us that are still working). Relying on just those in attendance to make the decisions makes the rest of us feel excluded and risks having the voting results not truely reflecting the desires of the total membership.

With respect to those voting results, I really suspect that most members do not truely support a name change for the club. I think, however, that they feel a sense of loyalty to the officers that are running the club. Thus I believe that the name change proposal was approved more because the members that voted felt that if that is what the club officers thought was necessary to attract and retain new members, they would "go along" with it. The key point being that they trusted the leadership and "went along" with it. I do not tuely feel that many members would strongly endorse a name change, especially not one as extreme as what has now come out of the Name Change Committee. It will be interesting to see how this pans out as it goes to the units for ratification.

I could go on to make more points, but feel that I have said enough for now. Thanks for taking the time to peruse these forums and keep us informed. Even though I do not support the proposed new club name, I do appreciate your attempts at open communication.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Can you refer anyone?

__
Bad. Really really BAD!
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:19 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
We Vote to remain the Same

My wife and I vote to leave it alone.

WBCCI #18303

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
eugene , Oregon
Leave it as it is! #9814
janetbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:37 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We vote NO, WBCCI #26931
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Question?

If WBCCI abandons the name, does it become available to others to form a club which promotes Airstream trailers and travel.
Is the name under a copyright at this time?
Interesting concept?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
The proposed name change is "Airstream Owners Association International Inc." or AOAII. I will vote NO to that name. I can see changing it to what Shari suggested, Wally Byam Airstream Club, or something similar, but I will not go along with throwing Wally under the bus just because we've done a poor job keeping his name publicly known. The new name is so poor that I actually wonder if it was done on purpose with the intent of insuring a 'no' vote from the membership.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
janetbjt - Welcome!

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad to see your post, and see you join the group! Visit us at the Newport, Oregon, Seafood and Wine Festival!
Anita
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
eugene , Oregon
Thanks, Anita. Working on getting to Newport for the Festival! Janet
janetbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I voted No, leave it alone. WBCCI 5446
Old 02-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I need a bumper sticker that reads...

"Just vote no" That would be too funny!!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Wbcci 2105

NO The
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote