View Poll Results: Should the WBCCI Name be changed?
Yes, Change it! 38 34.86%
No, Leave it alone! 71 65.14%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Thumbs down no

I will add my support for the NO side.Look at the discussion that has been taking place in this forum.WBCCI says it is interested in increasing membership and I would think that a name change may have the opposite effect on the club.It could just be a way to divide the club unnecessarily.There are more important issues with WBCCI that need to be looked at than changing the name.

WBCCI #32083

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #30
AIR #8691
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
ĎIf ainít broke, donít fix it.í
I Vote: No, WBCCI #8425

Develop a list of real and perceived dysfunctions,
propose workable solutions with alternatives,
present the change package to the principals.
Monitor the feedback and results, and report back on this Forum.
... Mgt. 101

JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
mgmt 1 01

well -

It looks to me as if 'the management' has spoken.... 72%!!!!!

Well, let the majority reign.....!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'll be.....

Let the results speak for themselves......

Love to all!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:15 AM   #32
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I am for change

All of the opinions of how the club is run is appreciated but the fact of the matter is this; the subject is the name is up for change.

Folks can rant and rave (Just as I have) that the club needs drastic change. I agree!

But, as for the name, I cant help but think that every one of you that have ever told someone that you belong to the WBCCI, had to add to the converstaion that the WBCCI is "The Airstream Club"! You cannot convince me that you never had to explain what the WBCCI is.
I do appreciate history and heritage (Remember, I live in the south and many of us down here have debated heritage and history), but it is evident, clear, and fact, that any one outside of the WBCCI does not recognize the name without having it explained to them.

I believe that there will still be some people that do not recognize the term "Airstream" (Yikes! Say it isnt true!) but I am certain that there are far many that recognize the name Airstream than there will ever be that recognize WBCCI or that Wally guy.

Let me close with this point, my grandparents owned an Airstream for over twenty five years and traveled from Mexico to Canada and from coast to coast. They were aware of an Airstream Club but did not know the name of it. When I asked if they had belonged to the WBCCI, they asked what that was. Now think about that, they are from Canton Ohio, owned Airstream for a long time, traveled very much. They did not know of the WBCCI but they did know that there was an Airstream club.

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:32 AM   #33
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Are you sure you want only WBCCI members here?

Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
The reason I said members only was because I would like to get someone in the WBCCI to look at this poll and say, look at all those members and this is what they think.
Steph it is good to query this forum. But, the majority of the WBCCI does not participate in this forum, sad but true.
You will get a good sampling of this forum, WBCCI members and non- members).

Remember that the majority, as you are very aware, is typically the retired bunch who either are computer illiterate or are traveling and do not take the time to participate in cyber space. (I so envy that!)
I think you will get a decent sampling of WBCCI members who are Cyber savvy but it will be such a small sampling that I do not believe it conveys the thoughts of the majority of the WBCCI.

The issue was put up for a vote amongst the members at each local unit (now that is a sampling of the majority of the WBCCI) and it was voted to change the name.

If I am not mistaken, I suspect that your local unit voted on the issue. Respectfully, If you recall, what was the decision of your local unit?

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:33 AM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Smily, I answered you in the discussion thread, so we can discuss it without cluttering up the poll thread.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member
2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire

Change, change change.

I love change

-Life is a journey, not a destination.
markjoandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #36

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
i voted yes. After doing a TV interview with WBCCI next to my name, the folks who watched it said, I thought you belonged to the Airstream club! Its time to move on.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:15 PM   #37

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
ditto what Shari and Ken said.

Nobody knows (except us) who Wally Byam is. I've never mentioned the club to a non-member (i.e. in answer to the question, "what are you doing this weekend, chuck?), without having to go into a long-winded explanation of "who the heck is wally byam?"...etc, etc. Everybody knows what an airstream is, although, they may not know that "yeah, they still make those".

Wally is gone. His caravans are gone. Most of what goes on in the club has nothing to do with "caravanning". The name doesn't reflect the club anymore. It hasnt' for a long time. Wally didn't start the club. Wally's caravans were not exclusive to the airstream brand of travel trailer. The club WAS about wally and caravans, originally. now its about Airstreams and airstreaming, most of which is not done in "caravan" form.

Changing the name will not change history. People who join the club will learn about Wally and the club's origins. The history will not be lost or forgotten. The name change is only a first step in a badly needed series of changes to the club to keep it in step with the times.
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
I cast mine, no, why must everything change? I see very few if any problems in my unit, I have not gone to a regional events yet but plan to in late '06 or '07 if I can get the trailer on the road. I would love to hit an International too.
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I voted NO.

Cause I like the tradition!

When people lie to you, and refuse to honor their word, don't regret trying to follow a dream, new adventures and friends await you.
sd90mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Although I am not opposed to CHANGE for the right reasons - I do not think adding Airstream to the existing WBACCI would be all that bad - it would be prudent to help the marketing end of things.

But I totally agree that messing with tradition is serious business and should have a proper voting system in to determine the fate of the 50 year old namesake.

I really don't think Wally Byam's name has anything to do with the politics - but I do think the "Airstream Inc" maybe driving the rig here - there has to be some sort of monitary value to WBCCI - to work with the Manufacturer. This may or may not be a good thing.

Caravan - as many throughout these threads of late - have been referring to the word "Caravan" as the NorthAmerican meaning - but it may just have a dual meaning when formed back then. Wally being european and with the formation of the club initiating in Nova Scotia , Canada (okay so it was a little plug - we are good for something ) NS is also a very prominent European influencial society.

Coming from England myself - folks a "Caravan" IS a "Trailer"

But my biggest point to be made today - "If as much effort is made by all here on these two threads was made to your own units All year long and especially if ALL here took an interest in how the club presently runs - instead of complaining that we don't get what we want out of the club.

JUST MAYBE - we might have all caught this one before it got to this stage.

The only possible way this can be vetoed is for each Unit to present something of a vote under - other business. If there is some sort of majority vote from the floor it can squash any motion for by-law change - and a Club name would be a by-law change.

Also - it depends on what is written for the motion - just because the motion request a name change - there must then be a request to change the by-law - and this is where this mess CAN be stopped - if enough of you here across north america can get off this forum and write to your local unit presidents, contact your members - with some sort of petition - as well as contact your region.

I have started the ball in my Unit - and requested all the info on what our Unit was provided with and what and when or if we voted etc.

I also believe that member voting - can be done by Proxy - with most Non-Profit organizations - but not sure. But the membership should be able to request a proxi counted vote at any time on By-laws of the corporation.

Just food for thought.

I am not against anyone here - I joined WBCCI two years ago - and all this time I have been thinking about where the heck is the vintage following in our Unit - I have been able to attend 2 Rallies, & 2 Dinners - so I am at about 25% participation - if there were more things to do with Vintage I guarentee it would be close to 90% participation - but I pay my dues and it is time that people like Peter and I and many of you stand up and be heard by your Unit, Region and the International Board.

Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I have a 25 ft Caravanner,Does this mean I must change the name on my Airstream
Movie Stars and Film Crews come to Me from hundreds of miles enticed by My knowledge, My imagination,expertise, creativity and innovations!
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 PM   #42
My Grandparents Airstream
2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
I voted yes Change the name.

To those of you who say no where were you early this year when this subject came up.If you did a search on this topic you will find that most poeple were in favor of the name change and now it seems that most people are against it. IT is going to change so we all need to get ready for a new name . I know that Wally is a Saint but he did invent the "AIRSTREAM" and I am sure he would be proud that it will be in the new name of the club.Just my two cents.

Andrew Selking
WBCCI #6062
Region 9 1st VP

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote