Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What new name would be best for WBCCI
The Airstream Club 20 17.86%
The Airstream Owners Club 15 13.39%
The Airstream Owners Association 24 21.43%
The Airstream Caravan Club 4 3.57%
The Airstream RV Association 8 7.14%
The Airstream Owners Caravan Club 1 0.89%
Wally Byam Airstream Club 17 15.18%
Wally Byam Airstream Owners Caravan Club 2 1.79%
Wally Byam Airstream Carvan Club International 5 4.46%
Wally Byam Airstream Club International 19 16.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #61
Craftsman

Although a few complain about the subscription cost of Airstream Life, the publication is about the best thing that has happened for Airstreamers since Airstreams were invented. I even like all of the advertisements because it informs you of new or existng products etc. related to Airstreams. It's a forward looking magazine that doesn't forget that there is a past. I would bet that if it hasn't already, circulation will exceed that of Blue Beret. As for joining the two, it may be like mixing religion and politics. As for starting a new club, if it were anything like what Airstream Life has done for Streamers, I'll bet that there would be a whole lot of owners signing up.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnzbernd
Rob:
I am chairman of the Name Selection Committee and I'm reaading and saving the comments. I too am curious about how many comments are from non-members. (I note one a few in front of your note that misspells Byam.) Interesting thought on incorporating a section of BB into AS Life. I'll pass it on. (That doesn't say I agree however.) R.B. Bernd #1990
I'm a member (#3406), I don't post my number because I usually turn off sigs in forums because I am on dialup and it makes a big difference when pages load, and I don't use sigs myself.

I threw Airstreamer Club into the mix, and I noticed on Airstream's eNewsletter that they too, call us Airstreamers. So there.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
What does WBCCI say

The WBCCI web site says:

Welcome to Wally Byam Caravan Club,
the Airstream RV Association.

I think that is fine....! oh well, I still stand that by changing the name, that it won't have an affect.

We'll see.

Rob
WBCCI #2820 - my grandfather was #4182
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:36 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

2001 25' Excella
Spokane Valley , Washington
Wally's a keeper!

My concern is that by dropping Wally Byam out of the club name, we will lose a big chunk of the special history of Airstream travel trailers.

I've never heard any remarkable stories of Shasta, Winnebago, Avion, or Silverstreak. The Byam caravans are an historic fact of Airstream. The African caravan took 7 months to complete; an amazing feat of determination by adventurous Americans and the tough trailers they took with them. When someone asks, "who is Wally Byam?" that's a great opportunity to share unique facts about Airstream, Wally and the caravans through Africa and other countries. That's how legends are made. If the name Wally Byam is dropped, no one will ask, no one will pass down the history.

My vote is for the name W.B. Airstream Club. When someone asks, "What's W. B. stand for?" ....... Pull up a chair, this could take awhile.
WBCCI #1335
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Given all the comments recently about the new name for WBCCI, I remembered that there was a poll a few months ago so I thought I'd go back and look at the results. I was surprised to see that "Airstream Owners Association" was the leading choice, although we have no idea who voted for it - current members, prospective members, or those that will never join no matter what the name is.

I hate that leading name choice just slightly less than the apparently selected "Airstream Owners Association Incorporated". I guess we can say that Mr. Bernd (head of the WBCCI Name Selection Committee) listened to "us" on the Forum. But I am not part of "us" because I voted for "Wally Byam Airstream Club", although there are other options I'd agree too, just not AOAI.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
It assumes that everyone HAS to pick a new name where as I understand it, there will be a vote to change that name -- that means NOT changing the name IS an option. Except here of course...

__
YES, a new name is forthcoming...this is not an option.

It HAS ALREADY BEEN VOTED ON at International 2005 (and passed) that the club name WILL be changed and the new name WILL have 'Airstream' in it somehow. The only thing presently up in the air is WHAT the new name will be. The committee is tasked with coming up with a suggested name, which will be voted on by the delegates at International in June 2006.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
All these polls are just adding fuel to the raging fire of confusion.

Before I vote I want the reasons WHY we are changing the name beyond the initial direction from the membership survey.

I want to see justified proof that our membership is dropping because of the name WBCCI.

I think the manner in which the programs are being implemented (or lack there of) to include both young, old and us middle agedmembers is more likely the reason for the stagnated membership and declining numbers.

IF there is enough justified information to convince me - then I will stay the course - and vote for the "Airstream" to be included in the WBCCI name as the original survey and delegate vote indicated.

As a WBCCI member I am expecting the IBT and it's Task Force to follow through with its mandate as directed by its members.

Based on information provided to the member only the events unfold

Members grumble there are things wrong with the Organization and numbers are dropping so....

The IBT suggests a survey of the members and pretty soon a survey is developed and approved for circulation how - via the BB only.

A survey is developed that includes the question and it is the first question in the questionnair I might add.

1. THE NAME OF WBCCI SHOULD INCLUDE THE AIRSTREAM NAME
of the 1061 responses - 460/34% Strongly Agree, 294/ 27.5% Agree, 158/14.8% Disagree, 82/7.6% Strongly Disagree and 67/6.2% had no opinion.

stated in the August 2004 BB pg 12

That (1061) represented a mere 13% of the 8200+ members registered in 2004

What efforts were taken to encourage a higher response and get members to return the survey? Any contact by local presidents? How about Region involvement? Or maybe a self addressed envelope??? (just asking because I joined the same month of the survey and I new nothing of it!)

As I see it Strongly Agree and Agree constitutes in favour. For anything to be passed within most incorporated bodies requires a 2/3 majority to have force and effect or be further considered - at all levels:

One: the survey response was a mere 13% of the members and;
Two: the response was not a 2/3rd (66.6%) in favor it was 61%.

From the questionnair it was taken to new heights - to the delegates meeting. How did it get there? How and why did it make it on the Agenda?

I suppose because it was not an amendment yet - there was no need for IBT to inform the Units 90 days prior to the delegates meeting.

So I guess there were many delegates caught by surprise - and no wonder there was heated discussions as Shari indicated no one was prepared!

Moving on..to June 27th The Delegat Meeting as reported in the August 2005 BB page 7...

The Delegates voted to include the name "Airstream" in the Club name by a vote of 5634 for and 1498 against. (clearly a 2/3rd majority)

Now watch this - watch how words get twisted and the whole direction changes!

Delegates approved a motion to have IBT to select a new name for the club to include the name "Airstream" and determine the most cost effective and effective method to be implemented at the earliest date. This name is to be presented to the Delegates in 2006.

So did you see that - the proposed question went from - "the name WBCCI to include "Airstream" to a "New Name" altogether. I am curious to see the actual written motion as recorded by the recording secretary?

If the Name WBCCI includes anything other than word "Airstream" then I will vote NO

If the Name does not include WBCCI then I will vote NO

End result in this case we retain the 50 year established NameWBCCI and go back to the drawing board and hopfully there will be a new Task Force - that will spend their time and effort in communicating with those Units who are having difficulty and maybe buddy them up with those units who have made the transition to a thriving fun and exciting club to belong to for all walks of it's members.

WBCCI and Airstream Inc - can go to the table and play with a marketing bi-line (buy-line) It IS the cheapest and the optimum strategic marketing move they can make. A bi-line sells the product name. WBCCI's product IS NOT AIRSTREAMS it is the people and what they do and the programs and activities they participate in.

....and for those here on the forum that say ney to all the rules - this is a perfect example of when an organization does not know its own rules of order and how such important decisions can get passed or potential for being passed without due diligence from its organizational structure.

No smilies in this post - just to darn important!!!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:21 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
What??? You mean do a marketing survey BEFORE you take this important step???

BTW GT6921, I have to commend you for piecing the history of this al together for us to see. The pieces are really falling in here.

WATCH OUT FOLKS, it looks as though the WBCCI is going to try to implement a change against the bylaws. Now speaking of bylaws - where is there a public copy of the charter/bylaws for WBCCI?

I smell a rat and this one is being pushed through before the members realize fully that it can not be done in the manor that it is being done. I am going to request a copy of the bylaws and start reading...

Lastly, The WBCCI president stated in the Dec. BB that "delegates voting to consider a club name change by adding the word Airstream to the name" was evidence of club progression. Note that he states something different than was reported in the Aug BB as GT6921 shows. This looks like the classic "shell game" to me.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Sorry Guys, I Could Not Care Less...

Name change? My unit voted "NO". We felt it was not needed to attract new members, because:

Our unit is gaining new members due to the changes that have been made by our leadership that make all types of Airstream owners feel welcome and part of the family. That's the bottom line.

We were in the minority in regards to changing the name of our club, most unit's voted to change the name is some shape or form. BUT I say this; the club could be called "Airstream Owners are Lazy Bags of **** Club" and I would still renew, as I want to be involved in the change that is driving the exciting rebirth of the New England Unit.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Name change?........ I would still renew, as I want to be involved in the change that is driving the exciting rebirth of the New England Unit.
That is the same passion that drives me to encourage and promote due process.

I want to be able to stand up in my Unit and say - where are the Intra-Club activities - how come we can not have smaller more local Rallies, why is it like blo...dy vodoo to mention having a Vintage Rally. Why can't we just have our own meals sometimes without always eating with a 100's of people.

Where is the fun, the adventure - I am not dead yet - I like to sleep in my trailer and I like to show off our little baby - but I will be darned if I will drag it to a fair ground and to the "Plight of the Dish Bag Shuffle" to the dinning hall and then sit in my traile till the next meal - or next tour of a local town - may parents dragged me out to see when I was 10.

I want to chat with the old folk and get their hands dirty in helping us out with what the heck we are suppose to do with the parts that don't work any more - on the trailer that is

I want to be able to step out of our little trailer with two huge dogs without the looks of either disgust or amazement - not quite sure on that one.

And guess what - I want to get a mini bike and a bull horn - and someone send me up one of them there hats (cause I have missed 4 on ebay) and at my next Rally I will make a statement - one that will turn them in the graves they have their foot half in.

But you know there are lots of what is known as "them" that want to come out of the shell - but the age old "peer pressure" is still around even when you turn 70.

To make change - Vote them out and get yourselves voted in. Walk the talk - change the process, amend the by-laws, clean house and then sit down and have a beer!....

I'm heading to New England!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Please sir

Please sir, I want more.

Oliver

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Please sir, I want more.

Oliver
Hey you what was the name - Lousomething conformist. How come you do not sport the "logo/avatar"

NO Please - just give me and give me now

Like your other thread there - on Caravans - want to do one from your place to mine.
But don't let our western Ontarians find out or the caravan will need 50 days to stagger the numbers...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
___
I'm in serious pain, man!!!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-22-2005, 12:23 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
He's alive!

It's a sign! Back from the past.

http://www.thevap.com/

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:52 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I voted in this poll, however, I noticed then as now, there is no option to vote for the original name?

Whatever it is in the end, we will all enjoy the fellow ship of campfires, potlucks and excursions to cool places!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I noticed then as now, there is no option to vote for the original name?
That's because it's already been decided (by delegate vote) that the name will change to include 'Airstream' in it.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 12-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
That's because it's already been decided (by delegate vote) that the name will change to include 'Airstream' in it.

Shari
Shari -

A name change is not a slam dunk. It can not be shoved down the members throat this way.

And the delegates overstepped thier bounds by voting to change the name. They were supposed to vote to "consider" the name change (as reported in the BB, Dec,2005) - by adding the word Airstream to the name. They do not have the authority to "approve" the name change.

In the bylaws it states (basically) that an amendment is started at the unit level, must conform to the units bylaws, and certified by the unit's president. There it goes to the unit's region where the process is repeated, then on to the HQ where it is distributed to all the units for review and ratification. Only when 2/3 of the units ratify can it be adopted by the WBCCI.

And in case you are still reading to this point this name change does require an amendment because as it states in the WBCCI's constitution/bylaws, Article 1, Sec. 1 - the name of the corporation shall be known as the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc.

If you change it - you are changing the constitution. Changing it in any other fashion can mean a challenge to the 501(c)(3) non profit status of the organization.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that aspecific amendment has not formally been received by the units presidents for ratification on this name change. Because if it did, we would know exactly what that new name would be.

Or do I have this all completely wrong...

These proceedings are put in place to prevent exuberant people from making changes to a constitution of an organization which push it way beyond the intent of the founders and also are put in place to protect the historic qualities of organizations such as ours.

I also find it interesting that this organization has 3 VP's but no Historian as an officer position.

Still reading......
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Still reading...to the best of my knowledge, the constitution & bylaws were followed to a "T" and the process is underway.

Shari

Old 12-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Still reading...to the best of my knowledge, the constitution & bylaws were followed to a "T" and the process is underway.

Shari
I am looking and looking and I can't see where the delegates have any authority to do anything at all. In fact, the bylaws doesn't even define what the function in the WBCCI the delegates even have. The bylaws don't specify any authority whatsoever for the delegates. Hmmm

Yes, they were asked to consider a name change but they can not approve that name change. The vote they took was to signify only that they agree with a name change by adding "airstream" to the name. This does nothing at all. No parlimentary process has been followed yet to even begin this change. Where is the proposed amendment to change, complete with the final decision (what the name will be), certified by the units, regions and HQ and distributed by the constitutional committee to all of the unit presidents? And unless I am badly mistaken - this has not been done. For that matter, a name hasn't even been chosen yet.

Basically, all that has been done so far is a body in the WBCCI, the delegates, which has no operating authority whatsoever, has agreed that name change should take place. That amounts only to a recommendation, nothing else.

That recommendation will be reviewed by the constitutional and bylaws committee. In accordance to Robert's Rules (which I am hoping every officer and committee chair of WBCCI has) a committee make only recommendations back to the board or committee that founded that committee. So in this case, the C & B committee can only make a recommendation to the IBT. The amendment still has to start at the unit level.

The history of what has happened so far as published in the Aug, 2005 BB, page 10 shows that not one step taken so far has followed the bylaws of the WBCCI. Again the delegates have no authority to "direct" the IBT to do anything. And if the delegates do get a name and "approve" it, that still does nothing except show that a bunch of people with no authority to do anything at all have approved a recommendation that does nothing.

And the work that Roy Bernd, chair of the name change committee set up by the IBT, is doing is only to inform the IBT of a recommendation for a name change and cost associated with that name change and a plan to implement the name change. Nothiong about a logo change or identity change here...

Folks, please read the bylaws as published in the 2005 membership directory and educate yourself as to the process that MUST be taken here to enact this name change. This is vital because any other process taken invalidates the constitution of the WBCCI. This process must be followed.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #80

1964 22' Safari
Lee Vining , California
my vote

not sure where the vote takes place so here's my vote in this post.

The Airstream Owners Association
rlaborde is offline   Reply With Quote