Wally Byam Airstream Carvan Club International 5 4.46%
Wally Byam Airstream Club International 19 16.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #43
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Hot subject

This very issue has been and is very active here in the SCCU.

I was copied on a transmission to a high ranking officer in the WBCCI.

Maybe you can see that there is an active position here in the south east.
Quote below-

Hi Roy,

We've been at the Galax Fiddler's Convention Rally and just came home to our August Blue Beret to find your article

Thanks for taking on this momentous challenge. I wholeheartedly support finding a name that addresses the following:

1. Clearly represents the club to the community
2. Acknowledges that the club has many aspects in addition to caravans (Unit rallies, Region Rallies, International Rallies)
3. Is easy to use on logos and so forth (Short and to the point)

Some members, especially those still working, are active and vital members of a unit, but are unable to caravan at this time in their lives. "Caravan Club" omits these very important members. Delete "Caravan Club".

Leave Wally's name out of the club name. I love Airstream and Wally history, but his name gives us no marketing advantage with the public.

Amazingly, not everyone knows about Airstreams, therefore RV might be a valuable addition to the name.

To distinguish from the Airstream company, "Owners" would help.

With all these thoughts in mind, I would be happy with any of the following, but believe the first name best addresses the issues mentioned above.

Airstream RV Owners Club
Airstream Owners Club
Airstream RV Club
Airstream Owners Association

Thank you for seeking input from the membership! I encourage all members of SCCU to also send you their thoughts.

-End Quote

Old 08-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #44
Craftsman

I say change the name to The Airstream Club or Airstream Owners Club. Wally didn't really "invent" the Airstream , he just expounded on others ideas ( as well as his own) and marketed them. He was a great salesman. Wallys gone and most Airstream owners don't caravan anymore. Distill it to it's essence. It's a new day for Airstream. History is great, depending on whos telling it. It seems that the WBCCI is going through some changes and I would guess for the better. You want the WBCCI to stay alive? It has to grow to meet the demands of a new and growing group of Airstream owners.A name change is a move in the right direction.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #45
_

. , .
lose the beret? NO WAY!

gotta keep the beenies.....they are just too cool and well......have adventur' oozing from the wool.....if they were wool.

also they need to make them is xxxlarge so i can wear one!

now about the name change.....

sure airstream/thor is part of the prompting. many rv brands have travel/rally clubs that the brand name owns and supports. some do great trip and rallies while ohter sponsor rallies just to show off the new/upcomiing models to owners.......boring.

and airstream could start a club like this.....and call it "airsteam......whatever"

see the wbbci is NOT owned by thor/airstream.

and caravaning is the major contribution the club has made with wally as the first wagon master. not just those big ol'e trips world wide but most northamerican travel/safety/enjoyment/adventure was IMPROVED with the caravan system.....this was way before our fully developed interstate highway system and when speeds were closer to 45/50 than 65/70. what fewer petrol stations/food vendors/lodging and so on........

caravaning was cccccccccccccooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllll!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now the wbbci needs more members and MAY need to redirect its mission somewhat, to include more airstream related get togethers.......

OR the wb could shrink some, say to the core mission and caravan.

but back to airstream and the name......there goal is to sell more units......and a club can help support that mission.......and it would be years ahead if they can grab some of the wbcci steam (however old it is) and redirect the wbbci into a brand specific/brand focused/brand selling association.......yes wbbci is only for as owners but the factory doesn't control the club.......yet.

so NO change to anything that is just airstream yada yada.

keep wally........as is wbac or wbacc or wbacci (phonetically say waaaabacca)

keep the hat......but add more colors......like burgundy for us elite limited owners....and maybe a tassle or two.....based on # of posts here......

cheers
2air'

btw i am a member of the wb so my vote counts......na na na, na na na.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
...Wallys gone and most Airstream owners don't caravan anymore...
Wally Byam Airstream Owners Caravan Club is my vote. Just curious, but in what year did the transition from most owners caravaning to most owners not caravaning occur?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:26 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
[/list]Your vote does count if you are a member of a WBCCI Unit and you attend the meeting prior to Int'l where your Unit votes to direct the Delegate how to cast the Unit's votes.
We have yet to make it to even a unit meeting, let alone a meeting that I am not sure when the vote takes place - the newsletter has made no mention of this. Makes me wonder how others will find out about this 'vote'.

I would prefer a ballot in the newsletter, myself. As it is, I doubt I will have any input in this matter.

I also expounded on the 'Wally' issue, but the server ate that post, so suffice it to say, I also like the simple approach: The Airstreamers Club.
Don't we call ourselves 'Streamers', afterall? it would eliminate the need for "owners" in the name, and RV is redundant. Most people know what an Airstream is. Caravan is limiting, and Association has the same connotation to me as club does to others. When I think club, I think clubhouse, or 4-H Club.

Given the choices, Airstream Club (International) works for me. I understand from the article in the Beret, that International will be added no matter what, so that makes some of the choices even clunkier.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:47 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Olympia , Washington
Name Change:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
From the discussions at the delegates meeting in Springfield this summer, the name change process is roughly this:

1. The name change proposal was approved (by vote of the delegates) at the 2005 International delegates meeting. The proposed name change is to be something that includes 'Airstream' in the title. This was after much discussion about the financial ramifications of doing so and additional discussion, very similar to whats be voiced in this thread.
  2. Based on this approval, the International Board of Trustees (IBT) was tasked with coming up with several names to present for voting upon at the next Delegates meeting.
  3. The delegates will vote on the names put before them at International Rally @ Salem 2006. However, it is possible that a new name will not be approved at the first vote and it may be continued to a future delagates meeting, as there was no time limit set for the change.
Your vote does count if you are a member of a WBCCI Unit and you attend the meeting prior to Int'l where your Unit votes to direct the Delegate how to cast the Unit's votes. The number of votes your Unit recieves is determined by the number of members it has.

For example, the DenCO Unit has 124 Members, so we get to cast 124 votes. If there is a quorum present, the percentage of votes received is applied to the total number of votes available to the Unit. The delegate can split the vote based on the consensus of the Unit, as directed by the member's vote. Members who are Associate Members of multiple Units only get one vote, with their main Unit. Members at Large do not get a vote.

This is why it is important to be associated with a Unit, not just a Member at Large - especially, if you are interested in making change from within. If you truly want to be a part of this decision...join a Unit prior to the Nov.1st delegate headount deadline.

As far as whether the IBT or Delegates read the Forums and this Poll in particuler...I would say yes, there are many WBCCI Members and Executive Board Members online.

Shari

BTW whatever name is selected by the delegates will need to be approved by Airstream Corporate.
Shari is close. The delegates voted to have the Board of Trustees present ONE name for votein 2006. An amendment was made to have the delegates offered a choice of 2, but the delegates voted it down in favor of the original motion which says - quote: "I move that the IBT be directed to select a new name for the Club that includes the word "Airstream." This new name will be presented to the Delegates at their 2006 meeting for approval of the required constitutional amendment. end Quote.
Also, previous comments (above) have suggested that Airstream Company is behind this. Far (!) from true. They have agreed, however, to allow us to use the brand name in our title.(No surprise there, huh!)
My committee's goal is to present a name that simply and clearly defines our club.

To the list of potential names add: Airstream Association

R.B. Bernd, Chairman
WBCCI Name Selection Committee
(WBCCI # 1990)
Old 08-17-2005, 12:51 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Olympia , Washington
The VOTE will be by your Unit's delegate to the International Rally in Salem in 2006. As Shari said above, if your unit has 124 members, your delegate casts 124 votes, depending on how your unit voted. Unit members will/should be offered the chance to vote at their unit meeting(s) in the spring.
RB Bernd
Old 08-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Thanks for the clarification, rnzbernd. We're fairly new, so a little light on the ins and outs of being members.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
I also expounded on the 'Wally' issue, but the server ate that post, so suffice it to say, I also like the simple approach: The Airstreamers Club.
Don't we call ourselves 'Streamers', afterall? it would eliminate the need for "owners" in the name, and RV is redundant.
My vote's right there, sounds a little more fun and inviting- emphasizes that the club belongs to the "Airstreamers" and not to Airstream. If that was on the vote I would have voted on it. Mabye I just like the semi-informal name because I'm young... but I've said it outloud about 10 times now and really... it just sounds right! Fun, relaxed, inviting, sense of group morals, as well as haveing the understanding that clubs have rules and regulations that are to be followed... Just my feelings on the name. --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
http://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Get rid of the silly hats. Get rid of the useless magazine. Keep the name unless Airstream, Inc wants to pay the club for promoting their product. I would like to know the real story behind this, like who got a good deal on a new MH
Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I say change the name to The Airstream Club or Airstream Owners Club. Wally didn't really "invent" the Airstream , he just expounded on others ideas ( as well as his own) and marketed them. He was a great salesman. Wallys gone and most Airstream owners don't caravan anymore. Distill it to it's essence. It's a new day for Airstream. History is great, depending on whos telling it. It seems that the WBCCI is going through some changes and I would guess for the better. You want the WBCCI to stay alive? It has to grow to meet the demands of a new and growing group of Airstream owners.A name change is a move in the right direction.

If change isn't acceptible, then maybe it's time for a second major Airstream club? Why not, it worked for religion. I wonder just how many Airstream owners there are who DON'T belong to the WBCCI? I'd guess it's a majority. Those who feel they're too young, too hip, wouldn't fit, or don't carravan, or don't want to explain the name (IMHO, it's too damn long), or whatever. Just don't ask me to start this new club . . . I'm too busy.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnzbernd
Shari is close. The delegates voted to have the Board of Trustees present ONE name for votein 2006. An amendment was made to have the delegates offered a choice of 2, but the delegates voted it down in favor of the original motion which says - quote: "I move that the IBT be directed to select a new name for the Club that includes the word "Airstream." This new name will be presented to the Delegates at their 2006 meeting for approval of the required constitutional amendment. end Quote.
Thanks for the clarification...and reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Will our votes and thoughts on here be presented to the club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnzbernd
R.B. Bernd, Chairman
WBCCI Name Selection Committee

(WBCCI # 1990)
Guess so!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

I'd like to toss yet another name into the mix

The Airstream Travelers Club

We all travel. I own an Airstream, but some friends who I travel with do not. Should they be allowed to join?

What about "Airstream Adventurers"

Takes the entire club/association thing out of it
Old 08-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #56
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Climbed out of box... engaged brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Safari
I'd like to toss yet another name into the mix

The Airstream Travelers Club

We all travel. I own an Airstream, but some friends who I travel with do not. Should they be allowed to join?

What about "Airstream Adventurers"

Takes the entire club/association thing out of it
Yeah! New ideas - love it. Keep 'em coming!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote