Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What new name would be best for WBCCI
The Airstream Club 20 17.86%
The Airstream Owners Club 15 13.39%
The Airstream Owners Association 24 21.43%
The Airstream Caravan Club 4 3.57%
The Airstream RV Association 8 7.14%
The Airstream Owners Caravan Club 1 0.89%
Wally Byam Airstream Club 17 15.18%
Wally Byam Airstream Owners Caravan Club 2 1.79%
Wally Byam Airstream Carvan Club International 5 4.46%
Wally Byam Airstream Club International 19 16.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2005, 02:08 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

I'm for WBAC if the name must change. We just joined as "members at large" and got our big red numbers (5451, our birth years) knowing they belonged to someone before us and felt a bit nostalgic wondering about the former owners and their travels with the club. I also think about long time members and memorabilia they've collected with the WBCCI name on everything, and how they would feel about this name change, like their club just ended.

We joined to support the club not wanting to see this piece of history disappear. Hope it's going strong when we have more time to be involved and travel, but worth the yearly dues in the meantime to help keep it going.

My .02
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:20 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

AOA - Aircraft Owners Association = Confusion?
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Because it:
a) keeps a tie to the past with Wally Byam's name in it.....
You would be surprised at the heated debates that took place at the delegates meeting regarding this issue...pros & cons for changing the name at all.
This whole name change might be a bit premature - I seem to remember a couple of months back a news blurb about a new "corporate history" being written that would debunk many of the "facts" about Wally Byam, who he was, and what he did - or who -

Does anyone have a link for the new book?

I hope the voting is delayed until after the book is published so the Byamers have a chance to read the "rest of the story".

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Personally, I feel that the Wally Byam part needs to go. It's like saying let's have a Henry Ford Auto Club, instead of a Mustang Club, Model-T club, etc.

In the end, I don't see any conflict with AOA, particularly since Airstreams are basically airframes on wheels.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
I seem to remember a couple of months back a news blurb about a new "corporate history" being written that would debunk many of the "facts" about Wally Byam, who he was, and what he did - or who -

Does anyone have a link for the new book?

I hope the voting is delayed until after the book is published so the Byamers have a chance to read the "rest of the story".

Dennis, the book has been published. It's available through the online Airstream store at http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...oks&action=cat and probably through dealers. "Wanderlust: Airstream at 75"

There are no unsettling facts about Wally in there. Just clarifications, details, and a few corrections of the popular history. The point is made clear that Wally was not a demi-god, but just a really good marketer.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
name change

Why is the WBCCI voting to change the name? Yes, change is needed but what's in a name? Isn't Wally Byam already synonimous with Airstream, doesn't the inclusion of the word Airstream cause a redundancy? I think two clubs are in order. One to preserve the integrity of the original club and one that is brand spanking new to become the represention of its embodiment.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Wally Bynam Airstream Club?
It's Wally Byam...that's the 7th option above ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #28
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
many thoughts....no vote, yet. (can't make up my mind). But, I will say:

Twink and Kevin: This IS an important change, even though it seems there are bigger problems. this is one that can be "fixed' more easily than one of attitudes. Recruiting is a major issue, and I'm sure at least some of that can be attributed to marketing deficiencies. The lack of name recognition is part of that. Most everyone knows what an airstream is; nobody other than airstreamers knows who "Wally Byam" was. IMO, the current name is only fitting in terms of tradition. I'm all for "tradition", to a point. But this name really doesn't describe this organization. "Wally" is gone. and who "caravans"? very, very few of us have the time or the means. That's all there was to do with a travel trailer, way back when, before the landscape was dotted with campgrounds. And while we're at it, Wally wasn't all about this exclusivity that defines the club. His caravan trips were open to anyone with any make of camper.

So what does the current name have to do with the club as it exists today? not much. What does the name say about the club to prospective members? It says "this is a club for old retired folks who want to take extended trips, many weeks in length, across the country". "Well, thats not for me", is what I'd say to that, if thats all I knew about the club. When in fact, the WBCCI in which I have participated over the last few years is about lots of different things, and has lots of different members. Some have "vintage" campers; some ARE vintage campers. Some do take long trips, and others stay closer to home. Some people are into fixing up old trailers, and some prefer "less experienced" ones. Some like both. Wbcci-ers are a diverse group. About the only thing we all absolutely have in common is an Airstream camper of some sort. The name of the club should reflect that broad definition. Its not about "Wally"; its about a product he created. And while it is about caravanning...that's not ALL its about. That is only a small part of it. So to me, the most sensible name for this organization would be "The Airstream Club". Or perhaps "The Airstream Owner's Association".
*(fwiw: I'm not familiar with any "Aircraft Owners Association". I am, however, a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association" http://www.aopa.org).

however.....

There are practical problems with any name change. We've got a whole bunch of printed material out there that says "wbcci". replacing all of that is going to be an expensive proposition. It may actually be more practical to ADD the name "Airstream" to the existing name, rather than replace what we already have. Adding the phrase "The Airstream Club" as a more accurately descriptive tag-line, or alternate name to the existing printed material would serve several purposes. It would be a political compromise between those who oppose change, and those who favor it. It could save money, if at least some documentation could be appended, rather than replaced, or at the very least, phased in over time. And it would preserve the traditional name of the organization, while also adequately describing the organization to the non-airstreaming, and potential future-airstreaming (and "airstream club-ing") public.

WBCCI
-The Airstream Club
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
My vote and another recommendation

Will our votes and thoughts on here be presented to the club. Of those voting, are you current WBCCI members? I voted for the Wally Byam Airstream Club for what it is worth. After reading InsideOut's post, I agree with it 100%. So, I want to change my vote to "The Airstream Club".

One other change I'd like to see...drop the Blue Beret and adopt Airstream Life as the official Club publication and for Club members, offset the AS Life subscription cost. AS Life could have a Club section in it....just a thought. Would be interested in what others think.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
but hey, it worked for Constantine, and that club was even older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Why is the WBCCI voting to change the name? Yes, change is needed but what's in a name? Isn't Wally Byam already synonimous with Airstream, doesn't the inclusion of the word Airstream cause a redundancy? I think two clubs are in order. One to preserve the integrity of the original club and one that is brand spanking new to become the represention of its embodiment.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #31
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post The Airstream Club

Sounds welcoming and inclusive like the forum.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:24 AM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't like the word Association - it sounds too formal for a group that gathers around campfires. I prefer club, because that makes me think of 'clubhouse' - like a tree house, not a yacht club I guess it all depends on where you're coming from!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

I vote to leave the name unchanged, but that's not an option for this poll....

-Todd
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 AM   #34
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster
I vote to leave the name unchanged, but that's not an option for this poll.... -Todd
It's not an option because the decision to change the name has already been made - they just haven't picked a new name yet - but it will include the word "Airsttream"

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I guess you're right chuck and I see your point. I suppose one has to start somewhere. As long as this is not the only change they make, I say it's for the better. Change can be hard for anyone, let alone an group of folks.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New name for WBCCI - Poll

Greetings Chuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Twink and Kevin: This IS an important change, even though it seems there are bigger problems. this is one that can be "fixed' more easily than one of attitudes. Recruiting is a major issue, and I'm sure at least some of that can be attributed to marketing deficiencies. The lack of name recognition is part of that. Most everyone knows what an airstream is; nobody other than airstreamers knows who "Wally Byam" was. IMO, the current name is only fitting in terms of tradition. I'm all for "tradition", to a point. But this name really doesn't describe this organization. "Wally" is gone. and who "caravans"? very, very few of us have the time or the means. That's all there was to do with a travel trailer, way back when, before the landscape was dotted with campgrounds. And while we're at it, Wally wasn't all about this exclusivity that defines the club. His caravan trips were open to anyone with any make of camper.
I don't see the current name as a marketing deficiency -- it has an established heritage and a strong basis in the marque's history -- as with any such organization, it is in how the organization is presented to the "new" owner of an eligible product -- it is an educational/learning process that can be adjusted.

I know of several younger WBCCI members with families who caravan routinely as well as several, like myself, who caravan on a regular basis despite being employed full-time (I was 35 when I joined the WBCCI ten years ago and am now a Lifetime Member of the WBCCI). Do I have time to go on the caravans that are in excess of 30 days or that take place during the school year -- no -- but, there are many shorter caravans that I have been able to enjoy at a cost that has been far less than trying to replicate the experience on an individual basis. Typically, I have participated in two caravans as well as at least two Rallys each year. The Rallys and caravans that take place when employment calls are those that I can dream about as activities for the time when I will be able to retire and travel more extensively. As examples, this summer, I participated in the Wagon Wheels Caravan through Missouri to the International Rally in Springfield (approximately 15 days) -- there were at least two of us (20% of particpants -- one family and myself) who were currently working full-time -- I also participated in an informal caravan to the Rocky Mountain Vintage VAC Rally in Colorado Springs, and again this caravan included another family with full-time work committments as well as myself.

I would never expect all of the WBCCI caravans to appeal to every member. I also joined realizing that until I am able to retire it may not be possible to participate in some of the longer caravans as my time constraints or employment responsibilities limit my full participation. Even though my participation is limite by my work committments, I still feel that I am receiving at least two-for-one value for each dollar that I expend in dues to my local unit, WBCCI, and Intra-clubs.

Initially, the caravans as conducted by Wally Byam were not marque exclusive as they were a means of promoting Airstreaming to potential customers. Even during his leadership this method proved to be difficult to manage as some of the caravans became so large as to be difficult to organize such that the quality of the experience was maintained. While the exclusivity may have been carried to the extremes -- Argosy products, the classic Motorhomes, B-Vans, and Integrity coaches were all at one time denied membership in the WBCCI -- these products are now welcomed in the club (and have been for more than a decade).

Quote:
So what does the current name have to do with the club as it exists today? not much. What does the name say about the club to prospective members? It says "this is a club for old retired folks who want to take extended trips, many weeks in length, across the country". "Well, thats not for me", is what I'd say to that, if thats all I knew about the club. When in fact, the WBCCI in which I have participated over the last few years is about lots of different things, and has lots of different members. Some have "vintage" campers; some ARE vintage campers. Some do take long trips, and others stay closer to home. Some people are into fixing up old trailers, and some prefer "less experienced" ones. Some like both. Wbcci-ers are a diverse group. About the only thing we all absolutely have in common is an Airstream camper of some sort. The name of the club should reflect that broad definition. Its not about "Wally"; its about a product he created. And while it is about caravanning...that's not ALL its about. That is only a small part of it. So to me, the most sensible name for this organization would be "The Airstream Club". Or perhaps "The Airstream Owner's Association".
I can't see that the current name in any way limits the scope of the organization. Wally Byam was actively involved in the design and promotion of the Airstream product, and it was through the ingenuity of Wally and his contemporaries that the concept of caravanning and rallying developed as well as the travel organization that bears his name today. Granted, evolutionary change is inevitable, and I do not deny that some is needed; but making a major change to the club's name will in all likelihood alienate many members, like myself who are proud to belong to an organization with the WBCCI's historical connections. Even ten years ago, I didn't see the organization as one for old, retired folks -- my perception was of an organization dedicated to the enjoyment of Airstream RVs -- many of the members were retired, but the vast majority that I met were welcoming and had interests that would have been typical of much younger persons.

Quote:
however.....

There are practical problems with any name change. We've got a whole bunch of printed material out there that says "wbcci". replacing all of that is going to be an expensive proposition. It may actually be more practical to ADD the name "Airstream" to the existing name, rather than replace what we already have. Adding the phrase "The Airstream Club" as a more accurately descriptive tag-line, or alternate name to the existing printed material would serve several purposes. It would be a political compromise between those who oppose change, and those who favor it. It could save money, if at least some documentation could be appended, rather than replaced, or at the very least, phased in over time. And it would preserve the traditional name of the organization, while also adequately describing the organization to the non-airstreaming, and potential future-airstreaming (and "airstream club-ing") public.

WBCCI
-The Airstream Club
I agree with Chuck on this issue, if the name MUST be changed -- preserve the historical root -- Wally Byam Caravan Club International -- but add the phrase(s) that are felt to be necessary to create the link to Airstream. Evolutionary changes are needed, but the key is going to be making changes that do not alienate large numbers of the current core membership while making the club more attractive to new owners.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I don't care what they change it to, just loose the silly hat. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Name Change Process...

Quote:
Will our votes and thoughts on here be presented to the club. Of those voting, are you current WBCCI members?
From the discussions at the delegates meeting in Springfield this summer, the name change process is roughly this:

1. The name change proposal was approved (by vote of the delegates) at the 2005 International delegates meeting. The proposed name change is to be something that includes 'Airstream' in the title. This was after much discussion about the financial ramifications of doing so and additional discussion, very similar to whats be voiced in this thread.
  2. Based on this approval, the International Board of Trustees (IBT) was tasked with coming up with several names to present for voting upon at the next Delegates meeting.
  3. The delegates will vote on the names put before them at International Rally @ Salem 2006. However, it is possible that a new name will not be approved at the first vote and it may be continued to a future delagates meeting, as there was no time limit set for the change.
Your vote does count if you are a member of a WBCCI Unit and you attend the meeting prior to Int'l where your Unit votes to direct the Delegate how to cast the Unit's votes. The number of votes your Unit recieves is determined by the number of members it has.

For example, the DenCO Unit has 124 Members, so we get to cast 124 votes. If there is a quorum present, the percentage of votes received is applied to the total number of votes available to the Unit. The delegate can split the vote based on the consensus of the Unit, as directed by the member's vote. Members who are Associate Members of multiple Units only get one vote, with their main Unit. Members at Large do not get a vote.

This is why it is important to be associated with a Unit, not just a Member at Large - especially, if you are interested in making change from within. If you truly want to be a part of this decision...join a Unit prior to the Nov.1st delegate headount deadline.

As far as whether the IBT or Delegates read the Forums and this Poll in particuler...I would say yes, there are many WBCCI Members and Executive Board Members online.

Shari

BTW whatever name is selected by the delegates will need to be approved by Airstream Corporate.

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 08-16-2005, 01:07 PM   #39
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Kevin, surely you have heard the old joke about teachers, citing their 3 biggest reasons for entering the profession: "June, July, and August". (didnt' they make a t-shirt or bumper-sticker with that?).

Ok, so its for old folks AND teachers.

Seriously, I think it is a fair statement to say that the vast majority of us simply do not have the time off from work to participate in a caravan.
I'd be willing to bet that the same principle applies to most airstream owners.
I can only tell you my own experience. Before I bought my airstream, I never heard of Wally. And now, most people I mention this club to, I have to explain the name, because they've never heard of him either. (Wally Who???Everybody knows what an Airstream is, though. (" oh, yeah...cool. do they still make those???")

Having the word "caravan" in the name to me implies that among all the things you can do with a travel trailer, this one thing is the focus of the group. and it was, originally. But I don't think it is any more. But thats what I thought it was, when I first heard of it. I remember talking to the PO's of my camper about it. They (60-ish) said that they'd looked into it, but that it was a bunch of older folks that go on long trips, and it wasn't really for them...probably not for us, either. After visiting the International Rally a few years ago, I was even more convinced that this was true. So believe me, that misconception is out there, its being spread around, -by people who own airstreams, no less-and there isn't much being done to stop it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
They (60-ish) said that they'd looked into it, but that it was a bunch of older folks that go on long trips, and it wasn't really for them...probably not for us, either. After visiting the International Rally a few years ago, I was even more convinced that this was true. So believe me, that misconception is out there, its being spread around, -by people who own airstreams, no less-and there isn't much being done to stop it.
My guess is that you weren't parked in the vintage section...even the 'older folks' there are cool! You have a vintage trailer, take advantage of the networking with others...attend a VAC Rally!

Shari