Wally Byam Airstream Owners Caravan Club 2 1.79%
Wally Byam Airstream Carvan Club International 5 4.46%
Wally Byam Airstream Club International 19 16.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2005, 07:34 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
When people ask what the red numbers are for,,,, Its the Airstream Club Keep it simple,,,

scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:11 PM   #16
. , .
gotta give wally his propers!

hi all

i'm sittin' in the the tube, parked on excella lane at the mothership in jc.

having some work done wireless in the terra!

i'll be stopping by the wbbci office tomorrow.

i always wonder about the polls on this site but with this one i wonder how the voting breaks down for wb members/non members.

my preference is for wbac or wbacc.

keeps wally in there as it should. adds airstream as it needs and drops international....which is so 50s......and since the mexico unit is no more.....there aren't any units outside of usa/canada.

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
How about the Paris Hilton Airstream Club ?
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:20 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington

I'm not totally keen on the word "club" - never have been. It conjures up images of snooty places, bad initiation rites, weird handshakes, a womens auxiliary, etc.
Although an AS club should have one heck of a clubhouse!

How about:

Wally Byam/s Airstream Association or
Airstream Association

1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
How about WBAC ? Wally Bynam Airstream Club. I think the creator should have mention in the title. Just my .02 Or.....WBAA, Wally Bynam Airstream assoc.
Chris AIR # 7276, WBCCI # 7276, TAC OR - 8
Photos of Project 2k5
Project 2k5
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Proposed Name Change for WBCCI

Quite honestly, I am not in favor of changing the 50 year tradition of the club's name. It provides grounding in history of the marque, that was one of my primary attractions to Airstreaming. Without the WBCCI, I would likely have abandoned RV travel several years ago. As a traditionalist, changing the name serves no constructive purpose in my view. If the change MUST be made then the least offensive would be to add Airstream to the name without replacing any of the existing nomenclature.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:08 AM   #21
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE
2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
I'm for WBAC if the name must change. We just joined as "members at large" and got our big red numbers (5451, our birth years) knowing they belonged to someone before us and felt a bit nostalgic wondering about the former owners and their travels with the club. I also think about long time members and memorabilia they've collected with the WBCCI name on everything, and how they would feel about this name change, like their club just ended.

We joined to support the club not wanting to see this piece of history disappear. Hope it's going strong when we have more time to be involved and travel, but worth the yearly dues in the meantime to help keep it going.

My .02
CaliforniaStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:20 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2002 31' Classic
Wheaton , Illinois
AOA - Aircraft Owners Association = Confusion?
davesamuelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Because it:
a) keeps a tie to the past with Wally Byam's name in it.....
You would be surprised at the heated debates that took place at the delegates meeting regarding this issue...pros & cons for changing the name at all.
This whole name change might be a bit premature - I seem to remember a couple of months back a news blurb about a new "corporate history" being written that would debunk many of the "facts" about Wally Byam, who he was, and what he did - or who -

Does anyone have a link for the new book?

I hope the voting is delayed until after the book is published so the Byamers have a chance to read the "rest of the story".

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #24
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Personally, I feel that the Wally Byam part needs to go. It's like saying let's have a Henry Ford Auto Club, instead of a Mustang Club, Model-T club, etc.

In the end, I don't see any conflict with AOA, particularly since Airstreams are basically airframes on wheels.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Originally Posted by 87MH
I seem to remember a couple of months back a news blurb about a new "corporate history" being written that would debunk many of the "facts" about Wally Byam, who he was, and what he did - or who -

Does anyone have a link for the new book?

I hope the voting is delayed until after the book is published so the Byamers have a chance to read the "rest of the story".

Dennis, the book has been published. It's available through the online Airstream store at and probably through dealers. "Wanderlust: Airstream at 75"

There are no unsettling facts about Wally in there. Just clarifications, details, and a few corrections of the popular history. The point is made clear that Wally was not a demi-god, but just a really good marketer.
Former full-timer | AIRSTREAM LIFE magazine | Tour of America (old blog) | Man In The Maze (current blog)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
name change

Why is the WBCCI voting to change the name? Yes, change is needed but what's in a name? Isn't Wally Byam already synonimous with Airstream, doesn't the inclusion of the word Airstream cause a redundancy? I think two clubs are in order. One to preserve the integrity of the original club and one that is brand spanking new to become the represention of its embodiment.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Wally Bynam Airstream Club?
It's Wally Byam...that's the 7th option above ~

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #28

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
many vote, yet. (can't make up my mind). But, I will say:

Twink and Kevin: This IS an important change, even though it seems there are bigger problems. this is one that can be "fixed' more easily than one of attitudes. Recruiting is a major issue, and I'm sure at least some of that can be attributed to marketing deficiencies. The lack of name recognition is part of that. Most everyone knows what an airstream is; nobody other than airstreamers knows who "Wally Byam" was. IMO, the current name is only fitting in terms of tradition. I'm all for "tradition", to a point. But this name really doesn't describe this organization. "Wally" is gone. and who "caravans"? very, very few of us have the time or the means. That's all there was to do with a travel trailer, way back when, before the landscape was dotted with campgrounds. And while we're at it, Wally wasn't all about this exclusivity that defines the club. His caravan trips were open to anyone with any make of camper.

So what does the current name have to do with the club as it exists today? not much. What does the name say about the club to prospective members? It says "this is a club for old retired folks who want to take extended trips, many weeks in length, across the country". "Well, thats not for me", is what I'd say to that, if thats all I knew about the club. When in fact, the WBCCI in which I have participated over the last few years is about lots of different things, and has lots of different members. Some have "vintage" campers; some ARE vintage campers. Some do take long trips, and others stay closer to home. Some people are into fixing up old trailers, and some prefer "less experienced" ones. Some like both. Wbcci-ers are a diverse group. About the only thing we all absolutely have in common is an Airstream camper of some sort. The name of the club should reflect that broad definition. Its not about "Wally"; its about a product he created. And while it is about caravanning...that's not ALL its about. That is only a small part of it. So to me, the most sensible name for this organization would be "The Airstream Club". Or perhaps "The Airstream Owner's Association".
*(fwiw: I'm not familiar with any "Aircraft Owners Association". I am, however, a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association"

There are practical problems with any name change. We've got a whole bunch of printed material out there that says "wbcci". replacing all of that is going to be an expensive proposition. It may actually be more practical to ADD the name "Airstream" to the existing name, rather than replace what we already have. Adding the phrase "The Airstream Club" as a more accurately descriptive tag-line, or alternate name to the existing printed material would serve several purposes. It would be a political compromise between those who oppose change, and those who favor it. It could save money, if at least some documentation could be appended, rather than replaced, or at the very least, phased in over time. And it would preserve the traditional name of the organization, while also adequately describing the organization to the non-airstreaming, and potential future-airstreaming (and "airstream club-ing") public.

-The Airstream Club

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote