Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #71
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
Shari, I agree with you. My point is that if they want to make an Airstream motor home, why don't they just make one and not pretend to make one.

If the WBCCI expects this to be their way of staying on top and being able to trade up to a new motor home, they will have to change the by-laws, IIRC. I believe one of the conditions of membership is that the product must be manufactured by Airstream in JC or CA. In order to remain members, these folks will have to convince the entire WBCCI to change the by-laws to allow the Mandalay Bay units to be accepted since they aren't manufactured in JC or CA by Airstream. I believe there is similar debate about membership qualifications for the base camp since it is not self-contained.
__________________

__________________
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #72
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Shari, I agree with you. My point is that if they want to make an Airstream motor home, why don't they just make one and not pretend to make one.

If the WBCCI expects this to be their way of staying on top and being able to trade up to a new motor home, they will have to change the by-laws, IIRC. I believe one of the conditions of membership is that the product must be manufactured by Airstream in JC or CA. In order to remain members, these folks will have to convince the entire WBCCI to change the by-laws to allow the Mandalay Bay units to be accepted since they aren't manufactured in JC or CA by Airstream. I believe there is similar debate about membership qualifications for the base camp since it is not self-contained.
The issue of the basecamp was decided by the members in Salem when the constitution was modified to read:

Quote:

ARTICLE VI
QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERS
Sec. 1
An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)

__________________

__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #73
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Shari, I agree with you. My point is that if they want to make an Airstream motor home, why don't they just make one and not pretend to make one.

If the WBCCI expects this to be their way of staying on top and being able to trade up to a new motor home, they will have to change the by-laws, IIRC. I believe one of the conditions of membership is that the product must be manufactured by Airstream in JC or CA. In order to remain members, these folks will have to convince the entire WBCCI to change the by-laws to allow the Mandalay Bay units to be accepted since they aren't manufactured in JC or CA by Airstream. I believe there is similar debate about membership qualifications for the base camp since it is not self-contained.
Not to steal Shari's thunder, but I have a few thoughts why they don't just build one.

For starters, the boxes aren't selling all that great. The Classic would cost an arm and a leg. If the old Classics cost near $100k new then, can you guess what they'd be now? When that happens, the market gets smaller and smaller. It makes sense why anyone would consider putting a name on a product of the same parent company, even though to one of us it seems wrong.

I can't speak about if it's built by Airstream or not to be able to be in "the club". I always thought it was just having an Airstream. I could be WAY off on that comment though. Others in the know, please feel free to confirm or deny that.
__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #74
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
uhhh...you aren't grown-up yet?

Shari
Shari,

I am too busy having fun to grow up.

Bill
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #75
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The issue of the basecamp was decided by the members in Salem when the constitution was modified to read:






ARTICLE VI
QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERS
Sec. 1 An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)
Does it have to be all hard sides? I thought the Basecamp had a soft side too? Not trying to cute, just wondering.
__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #76
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Does it have to be all hard sides? I thought the Basecamp had a soft side too? Not trying to cute, just wondering.
The basecamp is hard sided, but has the option for an add on canvas room out the back.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #77
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Shari,

I am too busy having fun to grow up.

Bill
Ditto!
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The basecamp is hard sided, but has the option for an add on canvas room out the back.
...which would be like adding a patio room on a Zip Dee awning. It doesn't change the fact the the vehicle is hard-sided.

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #78
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The issue of the basecamp was decided by the members in Salem when the constitution was modified to read:










I guess the constitution/by-laws must be easy to change. But they would have to amend that last part since the Mandalay Bay Airstream wouldn't be manufactured by Airstream but by Mandalay Bay or Thor or Fleetwood or whomever. That is if someone opposed to the idea wanted to get technical.
__________________
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #79
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
Thanks....I didn't know it was an option. I thought that's the way it was normally.
__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #80
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I guess the constitution/by-laws must be easy to change. But they would have to amend that last part since the Mandalay Bay Airstream wouldn't be manufactured by Airstream but by Mandalay Bay or Thor or Fleetwood or whomever. That is if someone opposed to the idea wanted to get technical.
You're right, they would have to be ammended/changed. But I don't know about how easy it is to do so...

The IBT meets in January to discuss items which will be brought to the members for voting on in June. I'm sure that's why it's such a big issue right now...it will be one of the issues brought to vote. If it is voted on, it must pass by 2/3 vote just as any constitution/bylaw change does, like the name change, etc.

Time will tell ~

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #81
Rivet Master
 
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 822
Images: 14
Maybe I'm missing something here but I fail to see how, "where something is built and by whom it's built", has anything to do with what it IS. There seems to be consensus here that if it's built in Jackson Center by Airstream employees that it's an Airstream. I strongly disagree.!! Harley Davidson,until a few years ago was the largest manufacture of artillery casings in the US. They were made in a Harley Davidson Factory with Harley Davidson employees.
Taken to it's lodgical conclusion this would make everyone who ever fired a canon elgible to be a member of the Harley Owners Group or HOG. This makes as much sense as including MH of any kind in the WBCCI.---- pieman
__________________
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #82
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Maybe I'm missing something here but I fail to see how, "where something is built and by whom it's built", has anything to do with what it IS. There seems to be consensus here that if it's built in Jackson Center by Airstream employees that it's an Airstream. I strongly disagree.!! Harley Davidson,until a few years ago was the largest manufacture of artillery casings in the US. They were made in a Harley Davidson Factory with Harley Davidson employees.
Taken to it's lodgical conclusion this would make everyone who ever fired a canon elgible to be a member of the Harley Owners Group or HOG. This makes as much sense as including MH of any kind in the WBCCI.---- pieman
Mike, This is how I look at the issue. If HD decided to buy a bunch of Gold Wings from Honda and put a few HD stickers on them and call them Harleys, would the buyers of these "Harleys" be eligible to become members of the HOG? I am sure the HOG members would have something to say about that.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #83
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It's interesting to note that one of the current International Officers is a member of the local unit we recently left. This person voiced their displeasure regarding allowing the Base Camp into the club, because it "wasn't" a real Airstream. It was interesting several months later, after Airstream discontinued their motor home production this same person, who owns a motor home, was now championing that WBCCI needed to change the bylaws to allow other brands of motor homes into the fold.

It's interesting how the views change...

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #84
Rivet Master
 
Cracker's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Mike, This is how I look at the issue. If HD decided to buy a bunch of Gold Wings from Honda and put a few HD stickers on them and call them Harleys, would the buyers of these "Harleys" be eligible to become members of the HOG? I am sure the HOG members would have something to say about that.
I think that the passion for the Harley icon and the Airstream icon says it all! If you don't share that passion, why did you buy an Airstream in the first place??? Nothing we can say will "make" you understand - if, to you, it's only a bike or a trailer.
__________________

__________________
Cracker

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polishing Hazard 64GT Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 22 03-16-2013 07:11 AM
The Perfect Airstream miquael Airstream Motorhome Forums 4 10-02-2002 05:11 AM
Airstream History pjtaia Our Community 1 08-24-2002 04:28 PM
Airstream Related List Servers Andy R Link Archive 0 02-22-2002 03:05 PM
AirstreamTrailers.com - Airstream Link Library Andy R Link Archive 0 02-22-2002 02:31 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.