Old 01-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #71
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Shari, I agree with you. My point is that if they want to make an Airstream motor home, why don't they just make one and not pretend to make one.

If the WBCCI expects this to be their way of staying on top and being able to trade up to a new motor home, they will have to change the by-laws, IIRC. I believe one of the conditions of membership is that the product must be manufactured by Airstream in JC or CA. In order to remain members, these folks will have to convince the entire WBCCI to change the by-laws to allow the Mandalay Bay units to be accepted since they aren't manufactured in JC or CA by Airstream. I believe there is similar debate about membership qualifications for the base camp since it is not self-contained.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #72
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Shari, I agree with you. My point is that if they want to make an Airstream motor home, why don't they just make one and not pretend to make one.

If the WBCCI expects this to be their way of staying on top and being able to trade up to a new motor home, they will have to change the by-laws, IIRC. I believe one of the conditions of membership is that the product must be manufactured by Airstream in JC or CA. In order to remain members, these folks will have to convince the entire WBCCI to change the by-laws to allow the Mandalay Bay units to be accepted since they aren't manufactured in JC or CA by Airstream. I believe there is similar debate about membership qualifications for the base camp since it is not self-contained.
The issue of the basecamp was decided by the members in Salem when the constitution was modified to read:

Quote:

ARTICLE VI
QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERS
Sec. 1
An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #73
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:

Not to steal Shari's thunder, but I have a few thoughts why they don't just build one.

For starters, the boxes aren't selling all that great. The Classic would cost an arm and a leg. If the old Classics cost near $100k new then, can you guess what they'd be now? When that happens, the market gets smaller and smaller. It makes sense why anyone would consider putting a name on a product of the same parent company, even though to one of us it seems wrong.

I can't speak about if it's built by Airstream or not to be able to be in "the club". I always thought it was just having an Airstream. I could be WAY off on that comment though. Others in the know, please feel free to confirm or deny that.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
uhhh...you aren't grown-up yet?

Shari
Shari,

I am too busy having fun to grow up.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #75
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The issue of the basecamp was decided by the members in Salem when the constitution was modified to read:

ARTICLE VI
QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERS
Sec. 1 An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)
Does it have to be all hard sides? I thought the Basecamp had a soft side too? Not trying to cute, just wondering.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #76
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Does it have to be all hard sides? I thought the Basecamp had a soft side too? Not trying to cute, just wondering.
The basecamp is hard sided, but has the option for an add on canvas room out the back.

Richard

Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Shari,

I am too busy having fun to grow up.

Bill
Ditto!
Quote:
The basecamp is hard sided, but has the option for an add on canvas room out the back.
...which would be like adding a patio room on a Zip Dee awning. It doesn't change the fact the the vehicle is hard-sided.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #78
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:

I guess the constitution/by-laws must be easy to change. But they would have to amend that last part since the Mandalay Bay Airstream wouldn't be manufactured by Airstream but by Mandalay Bay or Thor or Fleetwood or whomever. That is if someone opposed to the idea wanted to get technical.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #79
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks....I didn't know it was an option. I thought that's the way it was normally.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I guess the constitution/by-laws must be easy to change. But they would have to amend that last part since the Mandalay Bay Airstream wouldn't be manufactured by Airstream but by Mandalay Bay or Thor or Fleetwood or whomever. That is if someone opposed to the idea wanted to get technical.
You're right, they would have to be ammended/changed. But I don't know about how easy it is to do so...

The IBT meets in January to discuss items which will be brought to the members for voting on in June. I'm sure that's why it's such a big issue right now...it will be one of the issues brought to vote. If it is voted on, it must pass by 2/3 vote just as any constitution/bylaw change does, like the name change, etc.

Time will tell ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Maybe I'm missing something here but I fail to see how, "where something is built and by whom it's built", has anything to do with what it IS. There seems to be consensus here that if it's built in Jackson Center by Airstream employees that it's an Airstream. I strongly disagree.!! Harley Davidson,until a few years ago was the largest manufacture of artillery casings in the US. They were made in a Harley Davidson Factory with Harley Davidson employees.
Taken to it's lodgical conclusion this would make everyone who ever fired a canon elgible to be a member of the Harley Owners Group or HOG. This makes as much sense as including MH of any kind in the WBCCI.---- pieman
Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #82
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Maybe I'm missing something here but I fail to see how, "where something is built and by whom it's built", has anything to do with what it IS. There seems to be consensus here that if it's built in Jackson Center by Airstream employees that it's an Airstream. I strongly disagree.!! Harley Davidson,until a few years ago was the largest manufacture of artillery casings in the US. They were made in a Harley Davidson Factory with Harley Davidson employees.
Taken to it's lodgical conclusion this would make everyone who ever fired a canon elgible to be a member of the Harley Owners Group or HOG. This makes as much sense as including MH of any kind in the WBCCI.---- pieman
Mike, This is how I look at the issue. If HD decided to buy a bunch of Gold Wings from Honda and put a few HD stickers on them and call them Harleys, would the buyers of these "Harleys" be eligible to become members of the HOG? I am sure the HOG members would have something to say about that.

Richard

Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #83

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It's interesting to note that one of the current International Officers is a member of the local unit we recently left. This person voiced their displeasure regarding allowing the Base Camp into the club, because it "wasn't" a real Airstream. It was interesting several months later, after Airstream discontinued their motor home production this same person, who owns a motor home, was now championing that WBCCI needed to change the bylaws to allow other brands of motor homes into the fold.

It's interesting how the views change...

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Mike, This is how I look at the issue. If HD decided to buy a bunch of Gold Wings from Honda and put a few HD stickers on them and call them Harleys, would the buyers of these "Harleys" be eligible to become members of the HOG? I am sure the HOG members would have something to say about that.
I think that the passion for the Harley icon and the Airstream icon says it all! If you don't share that passion, why did you buy an Airstream in the first place??? Nothing we can say will "make" you understand - if, to you, it's only a bike or a trailer.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote