Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Those of you who have received the Save Wally messages know there may be treason afoot. If there is, I will beginning a campaign to impeach the IBT members. When will these self righteous power ........ get it.
??
What about those of us that have not received the Save Wally Messages????
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
??
What about those of us that have not received the Save Wally Messages????
Go to Save Wally Web Site - Home. The same information is there that is in the messages. If you'd like to receive messages and news from SaveWally, just sign up as a member and ask to be added to the list. Leo does a good job at not overloading your email. He just sends out the most important and timely messages.

- Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #63
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Question: Why would someone buy a Mandalay Bay with an Airstream badge at, what I would expect, a premium price to have that Airstream badge and then pay $70/year to be a member of WBCCI with all of its current problems when they could just buy the Mandalay Bay with what I'm sure is nicer cabinets than the old fashioned hickory Airstream cabinets and only have to pay $20/year to be a member of the Mandalay Bay owners club?

Seems to me it would be cheaper to buy the "real" Mandalay Bay and join the Mandalay Bay owners club than to buy the Mandalay Bay pretending to be a "fake" Airstream and join the WBCCI.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Question: Why would someone buy a Mandalay Bay with an Airstream badge at, what I would expect, a premium price to have that Airstream badge and then pay $70/year to be a member of WBCCI with all of its current problems when they could just buy the Mandalay Bay with what I'm sure is nicer cabinets than the old fashioned hickory Airstream cabinets and only have to pay $20/year to be a member of the Mandalay Bay owners club?

Seems to me it would be cheaper to buy the "real" Mandalay Bay and join the Mandalay Bay owners club than to buy the Mandalay Bay pretending to be a "fake" Airstream and join the WBCCI.
I would imagine it makes sense if you are ALREADY a WBCCI member who owns an Airstream motorhome and you can't or won't, for whatever reason, move into a trailer.

FWIW, I think if the MHs are made by the Airstream division of Thor and sold/service by Airstream dealers, fine...if not they shouldn't be badged as Airstreams.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #65
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I would imagine it makes sense if you are ALREADY a WBCCI member who owns an Airstream motorhome and you can't or won't, for whatever reason, move into a trailer.

So if there is a market strong enough to do this, why doesn't Thor ship the chasis into JC and let Airstream build an Airstream MOHO on it or at least send the shell in and let JC fill it? It would be kind of like they did the commercial division when they built to order.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
But, why would they want to do that just for the sake of the club? If they can't make the MH division of Airstream pencil out now...why would they want to set-up what you propose as an accomodation just for club members? As a business person, it makes no sense to me...

But then what do I care, I'm just a lowly vintage trailer owner in the eyes of some MH & new trailer owners ~ I can't tell you how many times, some people have told me I will "trade up" from my "beginner Airstream" someday...when I can afford to or grow-up. I always state that money/age have absolutely nothing to do with my decison to own vintage...I could buy any trailer/MH I wanted, if I choose to. I chose NOT to ~

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:

Because if you did that these folks who generally rank quite high in WBCCI would be beginners in any other club. That's right - they would just be ground troops like the rest of us. Part of this move is to protect the stature they have in WBCCI.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
But, why would they want to do that just for the sake of the club? If they can't make the MH division of Airstream pencil out now...why would they want to set-up what you propose as an accomodation just for club members? As a business person, it makes no sense to me...

But then what do I care, I'm just a lowly vintage trailer owner in the eyes of some MH owners ~ I can't tell you how many times, some people have told me I will "trade up" from my "beginner Airstream" someday...when I can afford to or grow-up. I always state that money/age have absolutely nothing to do with my decison to own vintage...I could buy any trailer/MH I wanted, if I choose to. I chose NOT to ~

Shari
Shari,

I wonder what "those people" will say when we complete work on the 1954 Liner?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:

But then what do I care, I'm just a lowly vintage trailer owner in the eyes of some MH owners ~ I can't tell you how many times, some people have told me I will "trade up" from my "beginner Airstream" someday...when I can afford to or grow-up. I always state that money/age have absolutely nothing to do with my decison to own vintage...I could buy any trailer/MH I wanted, if I choose to. I chose NOT to ~

Shari
Hmmmm, no one has ever said this to me. Must be because they are too busy trying to get far away from me when I start talking about my beloved "Tube".

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Shari,

I wonder what "those people" will say when we complete work on the 1954 Liner?

Bill
uhhh...you aren't grown-up yet?

Shari

Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #71
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Shari, I agree with you. My point is that if they want to make an Airstream motor home, why don't they just make one and not pretend to make one.

If the WBCCI expects this to be their way of staying on top and being able to trade up to a new motor home, they will have to change the by-laws, IIRC. I believe one of the conditions of membership is that the product must be manufactured by Airstream in JC or CA. In order to remain members, these folks will have to convince the entire WBCCI to change the by-laws to allow the Mandalay Bay units to be accepted since they aren't manufactured in JC or CA by Airstream. I believe there is similar debate about membership qualifications for the base camp since it is not self-contained.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #72
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Shari, I agree with you. My point is that if they want to make an Airstream motor home, why don't they just make one and not pretend to make one.

If the WBCCI expects this to be their way of staying on top and being able to trade up to a new motor home, they will have to change the by-laws, IIRC. I believe one of the conditions of membership is that the product must be manufactured by Airstream in JC or CA. In order to remain members, these folks will have to convince the entire WBCCI to change the by-laws to allow the Mandalay Bay units to be accepted since they aren't manufactured in JC or CA by Airstream. I believe there is similar debate about membership qualifications for the base camp since it is not self-contained.
The issue of the basecamp was decided by the members in Salem when the constitution was modified to read:

Quote:

ARTICLE VI
QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERS
Sec. 1
An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #73
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:

Not to steal Shari's thunder, but I have a few thoughts why they don't just build one.

For starters, the boxes aren't selling all that great. The Classic would cost an arm and a leg. If the old Classics cost near $100k new then, can you guess what they'd be now? When that happens, the market gets smaller and smaller. It makes sense why anyone would consider putting a name on a product of the same parent company, even though to one of us it seems wrong.

I can't speak about if it's built by Airstream or not to be able to be in "the club". I always thought it was just having an Airstream. I could be WAY off on that comment though. Others in the know, please feel free to confirm or deny that.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
uhhh...you aren't grown-up yet?

Shari
Shari,

I am too busy having fun to grow up.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #75
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The issue of the basecamp was decided by the members in Salem when the constitution was modified to read:

ARTICLE VI
QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERS
Sec. 1 An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)
Does it have to be all hard sides? I thought the Basecamp had a soft side too? Not trying to cute, just wondering.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #76
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Does it have to be all hard sides? I thought the Basecamp had a soft side too? Not trying to cute, just wondering.
The basecamp is hard sided, but has the option for an add on canvas room out the back.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Shari,

I am too busy having fun to grow up.

Bill
Ditto!
Quote:
The basecamp is hard sided, but has the option for an add on canvas room out the back.
...which would be like adding a patio room on a Zip Dee awning. It doesn't change the fact the the vehicle is hard-sided.

Shari

Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #78
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:

I guess the constitution/by-laws must be easy to change. But they would have to amend that last part since the Mandalay Bay Airstream wouldn't be manufactured by Airstream but by Mandalay Bay or Thor or Fleetwood or whomever. That is if someone opposed to the idea wanted to get technical.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #79
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks....I didn't know it was an option. I thought that's the way it was normally.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I guess the constitution/by-laws must be easy to change. But they would have to amend that last part since the Mandalay Bay Airstream wouldn't be manufactured by Airstream but by Mandalay Bay or Thor or Fleetwood or whomever. That is if someone opposed to the idea wanted to get technical.
You're right, they would have to be ammended/changed. But I don't know about how easy it is to do so...

The IBT meets in January to discuss items which will be brought to the members for voting on in June. I'm sure that's why it's such a big issue right now...it will be one of the issues brought to vote. If it is voted on, it must pass by 2/3 vote just as any constitution/bylaw change does, like the name change, etc.

Time will tell ~

Shari