Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #141
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Exclamation No Rule Change Needed

DEFINITIONS OF MEMBER

1. Regular Member - An adult who owns a fully self contained and hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. ­and who has submitted a written applica­tion for membership and such adult pays International and Unit dues to a Unit of the International Club. Regular members who have sold their recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. may, upon request, retain their membership as Regular Members in a Unit and the International Club pursuant to the provisions of Sec. 2 ARTICLE VI of the International Constitution. Such Regular Members shall possess all the rights and privileges of the International Club, including full voting rights in all elections and on all questions. (7/5/96)

C. Regular Members, who were in good standing when they sold their recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc., may, upon request, retain their membership as Regular Members, provided such members do not own another brand of recreational vehicle, except such Regular Members may own another brand of recreational vehicle that is parked in a permanent or semi-permanent location to be used by the members as a vacation facility or as a home. (6/29/96)

Here is my interpertation of how we can make this work without having to change the current rules.
Anyone who is a member in good standing at the time that Airstream quits making motorhomes simply makes a request to the Board to retain their membership after they sell their Airstream(Trailer , Motorhome, Basecamp whatever). They then purchase an SOB and are still members of the WBCCI.

ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #142
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Andy,

As I read it, if you another brand of RV as a recreational vehicle, you can't remain a member of the club unless you also have an Airstream. See the bold in the quote from the constitution.

"...may own another brand of recreational vehicle that is parked in a permanent or semi-permanent location to be used by the members as a vacation facility or as a home."

Jim
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #143

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
My 390XL came from the factory with a too-small front axle and tires. Airsteam did a recall, putting on larger tires, but refusing to change the axle.
You aren't alone on this. It seems that a number of RV manufacturers neglect to consider the weight load on one side of the axle. They remain fixed on the load that both wheels can carry (which may be within specs), but if you weigh the load carried by one wheel, you may be finding that you are technically overloaded.

I attended a seminar on tire safety and this issue was brought out by the presenter. He noted that the day his motorhome rolled out of the factory, with driver weight, his left front wheel was overloaded. This is why when these weighing events occur at rallies, the folks use separate scales under each wheel. Most folks never consider weighing the load on each wheel when they go to truck scales.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #144
Itowair

Clinton Twp , Michigan
My 2 cents

except such Regular Members may own another brand of recreational vehicle that is parked in a permanent or semi-permanent location to be used by the members as a vacation facility or as a home. (6/29/96)

I have sold my "AIRSTREAM" .
I have made a request to the Board to remain a member. Since I have been such an important part of the WBCCI for such a long time they grant my request.
I have bought an "SOB".

I wish to attend a rally, this rally is my vacation and I will be using my "SOB" while it is Semi-Peremanently parked at the rally site as my vacation home.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #145
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITOWAIR
except such Regular Members may own another brand of recreational vehicle that is parked in a permanent or semi-permanent location to be used by the members as a vacation facility or as a home. (6/29/96)

I have sold my "AIRSTREAM" .
I have made a request to the Board to remain a member. Since I have been such an important part of the WBCCI for such a long time they grant my request.
I have bought an "SOB".

I wish to attend a rally, this rally is my vacation and I will be using my "SOB" while it is Semi-Peremanently parked at the rally site as my vacation home.
Technicalities, technicalities, technicalities! If you have the..., well, if you have the audacity to show up at a WBCCI rally in an SOB, then they should let you in!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #146
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Okay, I agree with that, however that is why the older folks actually run the club. I'm retired but due to family considerations unable to travel enough to serve as an officer. I do web sites as my contributions. And you are right of course. one member, one vote. Well, that means that the members elect these octogenarians because there is no one else running. It's not their fault you see. In fact we have members that are doing a second and even a third round as Officers because no one else has come foreward.

Jack, you may be right about some of the Officers but I know several and they seem to be opened minded to me. Maybe they've changed. Well, anyway, it gives an excuse to act in the same manner that you find fault with in them.

For me it's about the Motorhomes. It's also about people using there power for their own agenda. With the exception of the classics, motorhomes are not Airstreams. The good thing is a new club will emerge which is about Airstreams not the comfort of a few.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Apparently the IBT motorhome set is moving forward with their plan to put AIRSTEAM on another brand of motorhome. Frankly, I see no purpose in a club beyond the Unit level should this be successful. The people running things are focused on their own needs not Airstreams. They will have two other brand motorhomes at International for consideration. This will be a turning point. You may want to sign up for WACCI now to be a charter member. No officers, no dues, no constitution, no bullsh-t.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #148
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Not to sound dumb or anything but what is IBT ?
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
Not to sound dumb or anything but what is IBT ?
IBT is an acronym for the WBCCI's International Board of Trustees.

- Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
For me it's about the Motorhomes. With the exception of the classics, motorhomes are not Airstreams. .
I see that point a little diffrently than you. A "Squarestream" Motorhome made by Airstream is an Airstream. A Mandalay with an Airstream badge is not an Airstream.

Airstream made/makes products from a Basecamp to a Skydeck to appeal to as many parts of the market as they can and anything they made/make that is contructed by Airstream is an Airstream.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #151
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I see that point a little diffrently than you. A "Squarestream" Motorhome made by Airstream is an Airstream. A Mandalay with an Airstream badge is not an Airstream.
Here, here!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #152
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
IBT is an acronym for the WBCCI's International Board of Trustees.

- Jamie

Sorry Jamie, but you got it wrong, Idiot Butt Turds!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #153
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
What is an Airstream Westfalia? Is it an Airstream? If it is, and I believe it is considered one by WBCCI, then an Airstream Mandalay would be an Airstream. The precedence has been set!

If the quality of the Airstream Mandalay is anywhere near the quality of the Westfalia, it would certainly up the average quality of Airstream.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #154
Itowair

Clinton Twp , Michigan
2 more cents, Details , details

Not Manufactured by AIRSTREAM, not allowed to be in the WBCCI ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #155
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
What is an Airstream Westfalia? Is it an Airstream? If it is, and I believe it is considered one by WBCCI, then an Airstream Mandalay would be an Airstream. The precedence has been set!

If the quality of the Airstream Mandalay is anywhere near the quality of the Westfalia, it would certainly up the average quality of Airstream.
In an earlier post, I stated that I wouldn't have a problem with Thor sending the shell or chassis of the Mandalay over to the Airstream factory and the JC factory "converting" it to an Airstream motor home. If I am not mistaken, this is essentially what is done with the Westfalia. Therefore, there would be no exception to the current precedent.

Now in all honesty, I don't know to what degree the Westfalia comes already converted or how much is done at the JC factory. But I still think the average consumer wouldn't know exactly what they are getting. You can look at the Westfalia and immediately recognize that it is manufactured by an automobile company before it becomes an Airstream. But, it's not like Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota. Mandalay is not the luxury division of Airstream. Maybe Thor should do some corporate realignment if they wish to pull this off successfully.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Westfalia is the company in Germany that did the original VW campers. My understanding is that about all Airstream does here is install a generator and convert electrics to US standard (120 v ). That is probably why the quality is so good, and the cost so high. It is made in Germany.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #157
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
I don't know how many AS trailer owners socialize with SOB owners, but belonging to the FMCA, we socialize with other MH owners quite frequently.
Our AS MH does stand the test pretty well as far as quality. It isn't perfect, but then what is? We all seem to have typical problems and you have to remember with a MH, you have a chassis,engine,etc. made by different companies and those problems cannot faulted to AS. We have found out that AS does get an A+ for their service dept. I have never been refused or passed on to someone else for my warranty items. I will continue to take it to JC for service. In fact, I met a new Prevost owner 1.4 Million. and he had a list of quality issues not much different than mine, so all is not bad.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Found this photo of an Airstream Motorhome prototype. No really. Actually is made from a stainless steel milk tanker. This guy built in Cazenovia NY and intended to go around the whole world in the thing. I do not know whether he evr made it. Interesting concept. Limited market.
Attached Images

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #159
tincantom

1975 25' Tradewind
Crossville , Tennessee
Red face Not built by Airstream?

2 more cents, Details , details
ITOWAIR

You do realize that this was built from Wally Byam's plans sold before he began manufacturing trailers, right?

I know, it wasn't built by Airstream, just to Wally's specs. The factory tried more than once to purchase this one since their version was "lost" somehow.

tom
tincantom is offline   Reply With Quote