2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1975 25' Tradewind
1986 34' Limited
Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
65GT,

Here I am, confused again. At Salem, my only International experience, the electric was built from start to finish, as all electricity was supplied by generators. Which, BTW, were disconnected very early on July 5, before the final IBT meeting. How is this different than what is proposed for Bozeman?

Bill
Bill,

In Salem about 400 units power were supplied by the fairground. The rest (700?)were supplied by generators.

Art

Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
That is unfortunate, but to drag all the way down here and camp all week offsite and only want to support YOUR club with a couple of day pass entries? I could only guess that you're not overly concerned about what could happen to the International in the future (which has been great fun here!). Maybe it is better to stay home if you can't make the commitment..."
So if people won't suffer in the name of the club they aren't committed to it? Seems a little over the top for a recreational organization.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Question better? future?

I want to think that every single one of us who have posted to this thread is interested in making the Airstream experience better. Can you poster's also say this?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Thanks for the dialogue Georgia. From what I hear this situation might be a bit different. My understanding is that there are (were) nearly a dozen in this group of shut-outs and in that situation I think support can be clearly questioned. Especially if we hope to see near break-even Internationals to continue well into the future.

If you don't care about Internationals then it really doesn't matter. For what it's worth -- the 1st time bells in the registration area ring constantly -- even today. That is extremely encouraging.
One year ago we were told that coming in on day passes was acceptable; we were not told differently until we arrived. International needs to get its act together and have a uniform system of attendance procedures; not make it up as they go along. We would have paid the fee if required, we were told it was not required as we weren't on site. We would gladly have paid a registration fee minus camping but that was not an option presented.

All we wanted to do was come down and enjoy international, we are newbies; this treatment does not make me want to get involved in anything other than my region. You blew an opportunity to have new people involved by shunning us.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #103
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
-- the 1st time bells in the registration area ring constantly -- even today. That is extremely encouraging.

__
Greetings everyone, and I do mean everyone! As a fellow NEU member I am sorry that my fellow unit members ran into a snag for this years International Rally and I hope everything works out for EVERYONE! I must agree that there is no doubt about the committment of my fellow unit members to WBCCI. We take great pride in our unit, its growth over the past two years and its extensive rally schedule for this year and beyound. How many other units are already planning rallies for 2009? We fly our WBCCI flags with pride and go to extreme measures to recruit new members into WBCCI! We are a wonderful mix of Vintage, New, Old, Motorhomes, singles, couples, families, pets, hard working couples and retired individuals. DO NOT let the first time bell fool anyone! Each and every year someone feels the need to say we had more first timers this year then ever. Yes, there are many first timers since this years rally is in a different location than last year and the year before that. Perhaps in two years when I can schedule an International Rally into the little vacation time we have I will ring that bell. What you need to look at is the ever declining numbers in memberships. First time rally attendance will not save WBCCI. Go New England Unit!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 06-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Thanks for the dialogue Georgia. From what I hear this situation might be a bit different. My understanding is that there are (were) nearly a dozen in this group of shut-outs and in that situation I think support can be clearly questioned. Especially if we hope to see near break-even Internationals to continue well into the future.

If you don't care about Internationals then it really doesn't matter. For what it's worth -- the 1st time bells in the registration area ring constantly -- even today. That is extremely encouraging.

__
Leo,

You've got it wrong again - where are you getting your information from?

This is a minor stop on a NEU Caravan and the Caravan leaders confirmed earlier in the year that we could come in for 1 to 2 days on a guest pass.
All I wanted to do was to drop off my pull tabs (18 lbs), get my WBCCI numbers on my Zip Dee Chair's fabric and to go to the Airstream store. Nothing else.

BTW - when we went to the "gate" this morning and told the very nice folks we wanted to purchase a day pass they told us we did not need one unless we wanted to attend the evening entertainment or seminars. They told us everything else was open to folks without charge.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #105
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Lighter Side

Hey everyone- a note on the lighter side for NEU: The first unit in the fifty year history of the WBCCI to hold an offical Wedding Bells Rally; We understand from Craig Wilson the the feature artical of the wedding, OUR wedding will be published on page 1 of the Life Section on Monday! Another HURRAY for NEU!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 06-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt

BTW - when we went to the "gate" this morning and told the very nice folks we wanted to purchase a day pass they told us we did not need one unless we wanted to attend the evening entertainment or seminars. They told us everything else was open to folks without charge.
Michelle,

That sounds like the answer you should have received the first time. That answer makes sense.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
NEU members and Perry caravan attendees

It is very sad to read of all your troubles with the International.

The way you were mis-informed and treated is deplorable as are some comments by un-friendly forum members.

We're all part of the same group, WBCCI lovers or not, unit members or not.

I hope you can make the best out of your long trip anyway and meet some wonderful new alluminati on the way.

Best wishes
Old 06-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
It matters not who or how unknowledgable a volunteer is, he is the face of the organization. An organization needs to bear this in mind when accepting volunteers.

I have met some real fools in the EAA, of which I've been a proud member for many years. One guy got into a heated argument with me over the engine in a B-17. I said it was turbocharged, as I was standing under the cowling with my hand on the turbocharger. He said it was not, as we were looking directly at the exhaust driven turbocharger. Guy got really mad. Finally one of the crew of "Fuddy Duddy" said that it had both an engine driven supercharger and an exhaust driven turbocharger. I said "Cool". The othe guy got mad and stormed off. He gave a black eye to EAA by his actions.

If you get some ignorant person out there who pulls something bad like this and ticks off an entire unit, then the black eye on the parent organization is well deserved.

Were I to show up there and be turned away, I wouldn't really care if it was the mook at the gate or if it was Don Shafer that was behind it. All I would know was that I showed up, as a member of the club, and was turned away. Nothing else would matter.

To quote a phrase from "Apocalypse Now", you don't machine gun a guy and then give them a bandaid when you realize you messed up. When the guy gets back home, 1000 miles and two days later, and he reads it was a mistake due to some uninformed volunteer, do you think he will forgive them?

If it was the work of an ill informed volunteer dude, then the volunteer dudes need to have a little better training.

Kudos to Bret for fixing this.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
For what it's worth -- the 1st time bells in the registration area ring constantly -- even today. That is extremely encouraging.__
Indeed they did. At the moment we registered on the 26th, two bells rang simultaneously, and rang constantly the entire time we were in the exhibition building, indicating to me there were a lot of first timers.
WDCU
Old 06-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #110
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It looks like many of us jumped to the wrong conclusion based on either past experience, or hearsay of past experience, and went into this discussion looking for the worst, and finding it.
I THINK one reason some people chose to park off-site was the possible uncertainty of whether they could get 30 amp electric, almost a must in the deep South in Summer. They may have done this after being incorrectly assured there would be no problem attending for the time they wished to visit. Then they happened to get hold of the one (okay, maybe more than one) person that didn't know the policy about day passes, and that made a misinformed decision rather than check with somebody that knew.
As far as supporting the club through my rally fees, that is all well and good, but if I am working a visit to International into my travel plans, I would not expect to have to buy the whole package just to visit for a couple of days.
Maybe the club should figure out rally fees based on a daily rate, add a little to the amount, and give a small discount to the ones that stay for the whole rally. This would also apply to people that come in early, charge more for the ones that come in 2 weeks in advance to cover the cost of their use.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are my own, and are not the opinions of Airforums.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #111
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
What the Club is trying to do is prevent this type of attendance next year.

They'll be making a big investment for electric which will result in $250 for 30amp electric.

__

What does staying offsite have to do with rally electric?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
What the Club is trying to do is prevent this type of attendance next year.

They'll be making a big investment for electric which will result in $250 for 30amp electric.

__
Not to throw this thread any more off track than it already is, but a $250 charge for 30A electric, only, may make it more economical to stay at a campground off site. Seven days offsite would be $35 per day for another campground. Except in my case, that would mean no vintage parade, vintage parking or vintage open house participation, all three things were the best part of our Salem experience.

Back to your previously scheduled thread.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread