Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If you go to the vendor area, you can peruse the Airstream company store. I never leave there without carrying armloads of "stuff" away with me.
You're right about that, Terry. They have everything from parts to Airsteam boxer shorts. I somehow resisted buying those, but did get some other "stuff".

I had no idea this issue with the NEU was unfolding here until I read through the entire thread late last night. At this point I can't speak about the availability hook-ups, but there's plenty of room here, and no one pulling an Airstream should be turned away. This place is huge. We have spent a good deal of time cruising around on our bikes, but we jumped on the wrong trolley last night and saw a few areas that we didn't know existed. In fact, at this time there is enough room for at least 4 more units directly across from us with water and electric. I hope this works out for the NEU. If it is one thing that has become very evident over the past two years, this organization is in no position to be playing any more petty games with its current or prospective members.
WDCU
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Just to mention as to why anyone would care to stay offsite, I have a few comments in that regard. When you arrive you can immediately set up in your own site and set-up instead of waiting in the bullpen if you are out of parking hours. You would have more space and possibly catch a breeze, have a proper full hookup and the amenities of a pool and whirlpool, clubhouse and dependable wi-fi and all for less than the price of the rally fees and electricity. Parking can be laboriously long. Last year in Salem after arriving in the evening and spending the night in the bullpen I was directed to pull over and wait until the end of the parking day 4 or 5 and see if electric was available, this in temperatures over 100 degrees, and insult onto injury the parkers saying there were plenty of electric sites and didn't know why the woman in charge was requiring that. I opted to take the 3 amp service just to get into a space before the day heated more and get my fans and hookups done. Others were told similarly and left to return the next day and ran into the same requirement, still with plenty of electrical sites available. However even being parked in the morning and accepting 3 amp we were parked in the wrong place and then had to move to the side of the road for 45 minutes in the hot car until the parker could get someone to answer him as to where to park us with dogs. When they decided to put us in the back they said it might be a wait to hook up to 3 amp or water... After that you must go register and that is a also a painstakingly long chore after a hefty hike to the building. There again watch your window of opportunity or you will need to come back during the proper time. And if you add on the times you may get sniped for not having the right diameter hoses or a CB or clothes pin and string or your numbers displayed properly or a Y without a turn off it is a frustrating ordeal, the heat makes it worse. If I were paying hundreds of dollars if not more to cross country and spend this amount of time I would want to enjoy some comfort and perhaps enhance the experience of the WBCCI experience. Miscommunications are rampant and you often feel set adrift and fighting for survival with no control tired hot and far from home with less than gracious friendly responses. You may just have to drive a few thousand miles and spend time getting shuffled around in their shoes before you think their solution inappropriate. They are there and that's what should count. I know we should all give until it hurts but even the most enthusiastic can be eventually deterred with enough obstacles. Kudos to NEU for caring and working at supporting the WBCCI!

photography
Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Bill Shrader posted information regarding the solution to this problem at the WBCCI forums here: WBCCI Forum -

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Our experience...

We arrived on Tuesday, June 26th at noon. We were very cheerfully greeted , and had to wait a total of 4 minutes in the bullpen before we were parked. We were asked for our numbers, but not scolded for not having them displayed. Later on, one member of the several groups that came around to check our electric, gas, and water connections, etc., (that was a new, strange experience) gave some advice on how to correctly apply the numbers "should I ever decide to". However, I talked to another member parked behind me who said he was scolded twice for not having his displayed. I read the advice for first timers which said to have a "Y" connector, extra sewer hose, water hose, 30 amp extension cord, clothes pin, and CB radio, so I brought them but haven't had to use any of them yet. We were given the colored string at the time we arrived. Registration was casual, and was easily accomplished with no waiting. We could have taken a trolley, but elected to walk. Again, this was only our experience, so we obviously can't accurately speak for all who are here.

Who knows? I can only think they may have learned something from Salem.
WDCU
Old 06-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #85
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
looks like the day passes were axed here in preparation for Bozeman where the 30amp will be $250 for the rally....__
keep in perspective WHAT and WHO your 30amp fee supports.

1/2 or more of the mohos/trailers are present weeks in advance of the main event.

some as long as 4-5 weeks?

and all of those folks pay exactly the same as members attending the last week only.

these are hardly volunteers,
but really experienced members that wanna camp longer during peak season with hookups.
250$ a month or 250$ a week?
hmmmm.

since non member GUESTS can get day passes,
a plan for next year might be...
quit the club and just pay to visit...

there is gonna be a great rally next year,

somewhere near bozeman....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .That is unfortunate, but to drag all the way down here and camp all week offsite and only want to support YOUR club with a couple of day pass entries? I could only guess that you're not overly concerned about what could happen to the International in the future (which has been great fun here!). Maybe it is better to stay home if you can't make the commitment..." (quote)

I think this is harsh, having read the comments by NEU caravan members earlier in this thread and others. If I were traveling with children with limited time to be away from home, wanting a cool pool in summer heat and other amenities friendly to family/friends offered in a nearby campground, and yet wanting to visit an International Rally and bring unit materials, and having been told, after asking, that day passes were available, I would have much preferred an off-site stay rather than a dusty parking field. I would not be making a statement of unconcern for the future of International WBCCI; after all, unlike many thousands of WBCCI members (including myself) who made no advance to attend any portion of this rally, I would have driven nearly 1000 miles to see what this is all about and arrived excited about seeing an actual rally and about participation in opening day flag bearing, and other unit activities. Once again, let's not become so narrow in our personal WBCCI views, that we only see our own perspective and cannot see from another's view. I think "some" is much preferable to "none." I think these people had limited time to stay, traveled with children, came excited to share in the way they were able and were commissioned by their unit to do, and encountered yet another WBCCI set of attitudes and barriers to enjoyment of the rally/club. Is the "new vision" of a more inclusive WBCCI still going to be un-understanding of different approaches to participation? No wonder attendance at one of these never enters our summer plans discussions--even though one was in our neighborhood, so to speak. Sigh. . .~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #87
_

. , .
Quote:
I'm out of here on the 1st -- enough is enough... if you're quitting let me know...See you in Bozeman!
leaving early? surely you jest.

seems when i left early last year, you couldn't understand why.

me quit? no way

a good dither has to be on board 2b effective.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Drama,drama,and more drama! Why would anyone want to be involved in ALL this CRAP! Not me thats for sure,no Wbcci numbers on mine.And thats too bad! By the way,with all the high $$$ fees/dues,some ones pocket's are getting gold plated for sure.Yeah,I'am one of the younger crowd (43),every day life is stressfull (drama) enought without having to pay to belong to something and have a goody two shoes/do gooder tell me my water hose is not the right size!The Wbcci had better WAKE UP if they want younger people like me to join.Sounds like it would have been fun in the old days! If I offended anyone,thats just too da*m bad......Brian
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
So...You're the ONE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I never leave there without carrying armloads of "stuff" away with me.
ATTENTION SECURITY... Shoplifter in the AS Company Store. repeat Shoplifter in the AS Company Store...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. (Please, Just kidding, no harm intended)
visit my restoration blog at:
Old 06-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I Agree with maxandgeorgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
". . . If I were traveling with children with limited time to be away from home, wanting a cool pool in summer heat and other amenities friendly to family/friends offered in a nearby campground, and yet wanting to visit an International Rally and bring unit materials, and having been told, after asking, that day passes were available, I would have much preferred an off-site stay rather than a dusty parking field. I would not be making a statement of unconcern for the future of International WBCCI; after all, unlike many thousands of WBCCI members (including myself) who made no advance to attend any portion of this rally, I would have driven nearly 1000 miles to see what this is all about and arrived excited about seeing an actual rally and about participation in opening day flag bearing, and other unit activities. Once again, let's not become so narrow in our personal WBCCI views, that we only see our own perspective and cannot see from another's view. I think "some" is much preferable to "none." I think these people had limited time to stay, traveled with children, came excited to share in the way they were able and were commissioned by their unit to do, and encountered yet another WBCCI set of attitudes and barriers to enjoyment of the rally/club. Is the "new vision" of a more inclusive WBCCI still going to be un-understanding of different approaches to participation? No wonder attendance at one of these never enters our summer plans discussions--even though one was in our neighborhood, so to speak. Sigh. . .~G
I also am one of the younger members (47) and due to Mom's health, my job, commitments, and time off from work, I opted not to plan for the whole week. I, too, thought that seeing my first WBCCI International for a few days, when it was "relatively" close to me, would be a great adventure. I agree, a day or two is better than not being there at all. I WILL pat myself on the back to say that as a member I am making the effort to be there even for the short stay. I am leaving in the morning and will be a day visitor and hope to make it to the Vintage Open House from 11 AM-3 PM on Saturday.
Safe travels to all
visit my restoration blog at:
Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #91
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have read this entire thread and I'm sorry that the OP had a bad experience with a VOLUNTEER that didn't know what they were talking about. When it comes to help, you get what you pay for and your liability probably is about as much as you pay them.

It strikes me odd that initially everybody was quick to jump to the conclusion that the "club" was against the NEU when evidentially it was just a matter of somebody not knowing what they were doing. Granted, that person was the face of the "club" for the moment and was responsible for some hurt feelings but I think the bile that was exposed in this thread is a symptom of deep felt anger and bitterness over some of the recent, and possibly not so recent, unpopular actions of the IBT. It is easy to direct our anger toward the IBT when it comes to issues we don't approve of, but I think it is important to remember that there were misunderstandings here and it was all cleared up with the help of someone who VOLUNTEERED to help. If not for thenewkid 64, this issue might not have been rectified. Kudos to Brett for caring enough to get involved and helping out.

As far as "dragging" all the way to the International and only attending a couple of days, I can certainly understand. There are only a couple of events I would have participated in if we had attended. We live a couple of hours away, and yes we had a previous commitment, but there wasn't enough that appealed to us for us to change our plans so we could attend. Does that mean we aren't interested or don't support the club. No. We just had a conflict that was more important to us than attending the International. Obviously, the International wasn't more important to the NEU members than their other plans; they just decided to combine both. Don't criticize people who have more than one interest in life.

I am really glad that things worked out for the NEU to be able to follow through with their plans. I certainly hope that they won't allow the mistake of one individual member out of some 12-14,000 members (counting both spouses) to taint the entire club for them. There is a black sheep in every family. I know the flip side of that cliché is that one bad apple spoils the whole barrel, but I sincerely believe that the NEU will realize that this one individual isn't the entire club and will over look this instance and put it behind them.

Have a great time at the events you planned to attend and have a safe trip as you continue with your travel plans.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Why would there be any issue with people not staying on site but paying a $18 per day fee?

Seriously who is loosing here? The WBCCI is not having to provide any support for the offsiteres yet they are collecting money for entry. They are not losing a dime. They are making money.

I had planned to come down for the Day Saturday. My only hope is my 6 Year old would be exempt from the $18. I was ok Paying it for my wife and I and possibly my 15 year old if she wants to come. So the WBCCI has the potential to make a quick $54 off me to let me walk around in the hot sun and socialize and peak at others peoples Airstreams. Then I can decide if I even want to join.

At this point the $50 in fuel and the $50 in fee’s is just not seeming worth my time to go at all after some of what I have heard.

WHO IS LOOSING WITH THIS THAT MERRITS THE ATTITUDE OF "YOU SHOULD PAY $300 TO ATTEND FOR 2-3 DAYS?

Sorry it just turned me off that nobody can see the big picture that "Hospitality" to anybody interested in Airstreams is a Win for the WBCCI even if they don't camp on site.

Yes I understand what got this thread was a misunderstanding but it happened because of the general attitude of some of the members that to be at all involved you need to pay dearly even when you are not going to attend the full event or get any benefit of the services provided.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
That is unfortunate, but to drag all the way down here and camp all week offsite and only want to support YOUR club with a couple of day pass entries? I could only guess that you're not overly concerned about what could happen to the International in the future (which has been great fun here!). Maybe it is better to stay home if you can't make the commitment...

__
Now this is a statement right out of one end of a Horse, not sure which end.

If you do the math a day pass is pure profit to the club. Day passes are not given anything more than the right to walk around, surely not a costly item to the Club.

Now if you realy want to support the Club and are staying on site for several weeks consider kicking in a few extra buck because your cost per day is far less than anyone using a day pass

I had posted on the "Will You Leave" topic, before this came up, a suggestion that Air might consider a hostile take over. The idea is looking better.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
From what I'm hearing and READING here in Perry, it looks like the day passes were axed here in preparation for Bozeman where the 30amp will be $250 for the rally. We're on a campus in Bozeman and the electric needs to be built from start to finish hence the high costs.

__
65GT,

Here I am, confused again. At Salem, my only International experience, the electric was built from start to finish, as all electricity was supplied by generators. Which, BTW, were disconnected very early on July 5, before the final IBT meeting. How is this different than what is proposed for Bozeman?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
I could only guess that you're not overly concerned about what could happen to the International in the future (which has been great fun here!). Maybe it is better to stay home if you can't make the commitment...

__
I have heard it said...you camp your way and I'll camp mine.

WBCCI should exert itself vigorously to refrain from creating the impression that it is judgmental, biased on personal opinions, overregulated and unwelcoming. What a SLAM quoted above!

photography
Old 06-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #96

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
Why would NEU members travel all the way down to the Rally location and then stay at another location, only to go to the rally to visit other NEU members? Gary NEU Member
This is not as unusual as you think. The vast majority of the members from my former unit always scoped out the local private campgrounds near the International sites and in mass stayed there. When I asked why, it was always the issue of full power, easy set up, water, sewer, less traffic, and no dust or mud. They usually made their reservations a year ahead of time. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have or will shortly make the reservation for a private Bozeman campground. As far as I was concerned it made pretty good sense to me, and I'll take a nice campground over an open field any day.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
Old 06-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
That is unfortunate, but to drag all the way down here and camp all week offsite and only want to support YOUR club with a couple of day pass entries? I could only guess that you're not overly concerned about what could happen to the International in the future (which has been great fun here!). Maybe it is better to stay home if you can't make the commitment...
__
Hi Leo,

You are totally out of line here. NO unit in the WBCCI does more to promote our club then the New England Unit. NO unit cares more about the future of our club then the NEU. We may not always agree with your point of view (Save Wally) in regards to how to move forward, but we listen and make educated decisions to insure we survive.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
I could only guess that you're not overly concerned about what could happen to the International in the future (which has been great fun here!). Maybe it is better to stay home if you can't make the commitment...

That is unfortunate, but to drag all the way down here and camp all week offsite and only want to support YOUR club with a couple of day pass entries? I could only guess that you're not overly concerned about what could happen to the International in the future (which has been great fun here!). Maybe it is better to stay home if you can't make the commitment..

and people wonder why younger people don't want to be involved in the IBT; they won't even let us into the rally as members; but as complete strangers we would be welcomed to come in and stroll everywhere.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
1992 29' Excella
1976 25' Tradewind
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
65GT,

Here I am, confused again. At Salem, my only International experience, the electric was built from start to finish, as all electricity was supplied by generators. Which, BTW, were disconnected very early on July 5, before the final IBT meeting. How is this different than what is proposed for Bozeman?

Bill
Bill,

In Salem about 400 units power were supplied by the fairground. The rest (700?)were supplied by generators.

Art
Old 06-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
That is unfortunate, but to drag all the way down here and camp all week offsite and only want to support YOUR club with a couple of day pass entries? I could only guess that you're not overly concerned about what could happen to the International in the future (which has been great fun here!). Maybe it is better to stay home if you can't make the commitment..."
So if people won't suffer in the name of the club they aren't committed to it? Seems a little over the top for a recreational organization.
Closed Thread