Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Name Change Part Deux

Here we go again....

Looks like Region 12 is preparing a proposed amendment to the WBCCI constitution to change the name of the organization to Wally Byam Airstream Association, Inc. Those of us in that region are being asked to offer our opinions ASAP.
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/sn...-r12letter.pdf
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/sn...2-proposal.pdf

Just a heads up.....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
_

. , .
hey b'cup

thanks for the head up...

electronic communication about these things is SO much better than any other method.

i wish they'd leave it alone or...

use wacci, or wbaci or wciia (who's club is it anyway)

it will be telling at the midwinter boondoggle, about what these folks do...

with 4cu, 1m1v and wacci....

besides waste club funds...

cheers
2ari'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I agree - electronic is a great way to go. The SNU was invited to read about it online and cast a vote on the private forums. Perfect!!

I also wish this wasn't happening so soon after the last round. I am still licking wounds and needing a nap if you know what I mean.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
This shouldn't even be considered without a perpetual, irrevocable (including by future owners of the company), no-cost, and no-strings attached license to use the trademarked name "Airstream."

The proposed statement about the organization not being owned by Airstream is laughable. Without the above license, the company will have leverage to arm-twist the organization into doing its bidding if it wants to keep using the name. Even with it, it would probably try, as I suspect it does even today.

Besides the license, maybe Thor also needs to agree to offer one of their other brands of motorhomes with "Airstream" graphics as special "limited production" every 5 years or so, so the WBAAI high-rollers can replace their big white box mohos and still stay in the club.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Branding

Every organization, if it is to sustain itself, needs a recognizable "brand" to attract new members, keep old ones, and market itself. Including "Airstream" seems to make sense as that is the core element that unites all members - their AS ownership.

A common branding technique is to include those "features" that speak most to what the organization is about. I am not sure "Caravan Club" is working. Unless you are already into the AS experience, you probably wouldn't even know what "Caravan Club" means, its rich history, and the wonderful memories participating provides.

IF the purpose is to honor Wally Byam, his "creation" of the AS family of RVs, and the fellowship of owners with one another, I would think you would want something of all three in the name:

Wally Byam Airstream Owners Club

Just me...

Jerry

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
From the letter doc it looks like it can only be submitted to the delegates assembly at the International. But I will keep an ear open at the IBT rally for sure. Also want to hear how the 4 Corners Unit fares.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I think I will go into the corner and throw up now. I thought that this issue was settled. I am ready to just quit the whole thing. I have let my VAC run out due to the fact that nothing happenes around my area. I would try to start something, but my family life is more important to me at this time.

Off the soap box for now...
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Hey Buttercup,

Once again I was contemplating joining "The Club".
I've met some nice people through it.

Once again it appears even "The Club" isn't happy with their own name after 50 years, who knows whatelse is wrong with it.

Once again, I Airstream sans club.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Unhappy

Oh boy, here we go again, and I just finished designing the logo for Region 9, Heart Of Texas Camping Unit!

Thanks for the heads-up, B'cup.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas-proofWbcci3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	29310  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I just wish they'd stop calling us names and behave.Looks like we got our wagons going in circles again.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I think that a good deal of old timers want to keep the club going. They think that by putting Airstream in the name that it will sell trailers and therefore get more people in the club. I think this is the wrong way to go about it. If it is "just camping" then get out there and go camping with your club, invite your buddies, and all the young ones with kids you can find. Sell them on the lifestyle and the comraderie, and you have yourself a growing club. It has nothing to do with the name. A name isn't going to make people wake up and join.

Safari64 has a point. All of this name change talk just puts those prospective club member off. It makes them wonder what is so wrong that the name has to be changed.

My 2 cents, I'm done now.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
From the letter doc it looks like it can only be submitted to the delegates assembly at the International. But I will keep an ear open at the IBT rally for sure. Also want to hear how the 4 Corners Unit fares.
4 corners unit update---you won't believe this but before this unit is even brought to a vote they are messing with it's NAME !!! Can you believe that??? Word has already come down throught the grapevine that unless a state name is added to the unit name it won't fly. I have removed my name from the charter members list and wouldn't renew my WBCCI membership if it were offer FREE. I am sick to death of this organization and it's Hierarchy.
pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
DelMarVa

The Delmarva Peninsula is a large peninsula on the East Coast of the United States, occupied by portions of three U.S. states: Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Named as a portmanteau of the letters of the states that occupy it, it is almost 300 by 100 km or about 180 by 60 miles, and is bordered by the Chesapeake Bay on the west, and the Delaware River, Delaware Bay, and Atlantic Ocean on the east.
Its northern isthmus is transected by the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, effectively making Delmarva an island (as no entry nor exit to the peninsula can be made without crossing a body of water). Several bridges cross the canal, while the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel join the peninsula to mainland Maryland and Virginia, respectively. Other points of access include Lewes, Delaware, reachable by ferry from Cape May, New Jersey. Dover, Delaware's capital city, is located in the northeast corner, but the Peninsula's main commercial area is Salisbury, Maryland, near its center.
Roughly south of Wilmington, Delaware is the fall line, a geographic borderland where the Piedmont region transitions into the coastal plain, a flat, sandy area with very few or no hills.
At various times, some residents of the peninsula have proposed that the Maryland and Virginia portions of the peninsula should secede from their respective states, and merge with Delaware to create a new state of Delmarva.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You will find that several units that do not carry with them a state name:
026 Delmarva
053 Mid-Atlantic
054 Mid West
064 New England

However the club bylaws were changed in 1977 to read:

Quote:

Names of Units All names will be geographical in nature and will represent a geographical area other than a state. The official name of the Unit must also include the name of the State in which most of its members retain residence, but no Unit shall be assigned any exclusive territory.
(6/20/77)

It is my understanding that units with out state names were allowed to keep their current names. All new units since then have state names in their title.

This is not a big deal for me. Many unit never use their full names except in official documents. Adding a state name does not take anything away from the purpose of the unit. I will not have less fun with a state name in the Four Corners Unit name. I will not make less friends because of the name. I will go to just as many rallies with or without a state name.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Our unit 14 El Camino Real was changed from San Bernardino a couple of years ago. I believe that that the official name includes "California" somewhere in it but we never use the full name. If they want a state name give them a state name.

illegitimi non carborundum

Good luck and I hope you succeed.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
On the fence???

artlink - nice job on that logo and in any event I hope you are using it now.

Safari64 - your post broght to me a thought. You stated that you thought about joining the club but with this issue will not (I paraphrased). I have a question (and perhaps a poll).

How many people are on the fence about joining the club and will do so if the name changes?

How many people are in the club, sitting on the fence of leaving, will leave if the name change goes through?

Or for that matter...

How many people are on the fence about joining the club and will just walk away if the name changes?

How many people are in the club, sitting on the fence of leaving, will stay if the name change goes through?

And after you have thought about all of that I have a question for the members who are sitting on the fence of leaving WBCCI right now, What would convince you to stay? Is it a name or is it the programs and services that need to be looked at. Why are you on the fence???
Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Wow...this sounds like the kinda club I've been looking for.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Aarrrggghhhh!!!!!

First: The rational provided for the name change is not even correct. A majority of the members did NOT vote for WBACI, a slight majority of the delegates did, some flipping there AOAI "no" votes to WBACI "yes" votes and irritating their units in the process. Is the San Joaquin Unit really trying to tear this club apart? Maybe all WBCCI members opposed to this proposal should send messages to region twelve telling them of our distaste to this proposal and nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand again. But I don't think I have the energy to fight this again. I (as a previously strong WBCCI supporter) may have to vote the only way they will notice and not renew next year. As the say "Money talks and WBACI walks".

Second: If the Four Corners comment is true and WBCCI leadership is going to require a name change to add a state name, they are stupid. The 4CU is one of the most positive things to come forward in WBCCI in a long time. The club should be bending over backwards to encourage the founding of this unit, if nothing more than an experiment and a sign that the club is open to change, and if it succeeds, as a role model for other future units. If Club Leadership can't see this they may just give me one more reason to quit. If the club enforces this demand on the proposed 4CU I am truely sorry that I enouraged the 4CU founders to keep at it after my discussion with the WBCCI International President. You will have my sincerest appology.

In the end, changing the name of the club will do nothing positive for it - just drive some current members away. A name change, if not accompanied by real attitude and procedure changes is just a waste of club resources. What's almost more frustrating is that a real change, like admiting the 4CU is apparently being actively discouraged. In addition to disgruntling a lot of fine folks that put this proposal together, denying this charter or making unnecessary requirements like adding a state name will have a further effect of causing some current members from other units to quit over the principle of the thing and other people to never join WBCCI in the first place.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
This is just plain ridiculous. I think I am going to remove my numbers from my trailer now before they make a permanent mark. That way when I drop out of WBCCI or what ever it will be called. It will not leave a permanent park.

I was excited when I joined WBCCI. Now I think I will just attend Forum Gatherings/Rally's

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
This is just plain ridiculous. I think I am going to remove my numbers from my trailer now before they make a permanent mark. That way when I drop out of WBCCI or what ever it will be called. It will not leave a permanent mark.
I already had ghost numbers then I put mine over the top of the ghosts so if we quit now we will be left with a double ghost. That is the only reason I agreed to send in my tremendously high dues for another year. I will quit as soon as someone figures out a way to remove the ghosts.
I wonder if the "Harley Davidson Owners Group" or HOG ever thought of changing their name to something like "Bill and Art's Riding Club?" Then the members of the BARC could go around trying to explain who or what they belong to.