Old 03-12-2006, 07:14 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Name change for the better?

A national caravan leader pointed out to me a reason we may not want to change our name to more closely associate the club with "AIRSTREAM". He says "The caravan leaders always use the WBCCI name when dealing with comercial campgrounds while making reservations". They do that because the company run "AIRSTREAM" caravans have abused the relationships with the campgrounds in dealing with them. Changing the club name to included "AIRSTREAM" might cause the campgrounds to confuse their caravans with the company caravan's leadership and make dealing with them more difficult.

I would also like to point out: Some time ago we finally let Argosy owners become part of the club. We are no longer an "AIRSTREAM" club. The Argosy folks are good people and we welcome them. Changing the club name to include the word "AIRSTREAM" but not Argosy might rub some salt into old wounds. It would also prevent us from bringing up (for consideration) the possibility of allowing other brands into the club some time in the future.

In some discussions with non-Airstream campers, they seem to think the word "AIRSTREAM" has an elitist and snobish ring to it. I wonder were they got that idea, with new "AIRSTREAM" travel trailers selling for over $50,000 and motorhomes into the $200k range. Vintage trailer club names have a more lovable "retro" image. From my experience (being a long term VAC member) it seems that faction of the WBCCI is more youthful and growing. There still are alot of older Airstreams out there. The prices are more reasonable for younger less affluent families. VAC seems to have a more relaxed, fun atmosphere at their events. They also seem to enjoy better relationships with the press and the outside public.

For a friendlier sounding name the inclusion of "FAMILY" might have a more active image. al la "FAMILY" motor coach association". Membership in WBCCI is a family membership and we would like to attract families of any age to participate in the fun.

Most of the membership like to camp. (be that when having local park rallies, regional rallies or participating in caravaning. Inclusion of "camping" in the name might be more indicative of the majority of our activities than only "caravaning" which is more difficult to participate in.

The inclusion of the word "INTERNATIONAL" in the club name seems out of proportion to the amount of members outside the North American continent and the number of the club's truely international events. It also sounds stuffy.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #114

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Excellent points, Dwightdi!

Do us all a favor and write that up and mail it to your region representatives. Someone ought to hear that viewpoint inside the club!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:13 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I'd like to share some things with the group. First the name change and how it all began. I'm having trouble finding that myself but I believe Buttercup is correct. The concern began when membership was declining and the debate began to perhaps get some insight as to why. In 2004 a survey was sent to all members.

FACT there was a 13% return. That means of the 5,634 members 1,498 people responded. It goes on to say the The Delegates Voted to include the name Airstream in the Club name and determine the most cost effective and effective method to be implememnted at the earliest date.
FACT the word "included" has been what has been presented over and over again. Not change the name, not remove this and that but rather include Airstream. The survey question also asked if the membership wished to "include" the name Airstream in the club name.

FACT that didn't happen nothing was INCLUDED, the name was changed. Things are now in motion and I might add that the way it is being presented is presented in such a manner that it seems like it is a done deal.

It is not! We allowed it to go this far prehaps because the question what to include Airstream and that did not seem so bad at the time. But now the powers that be are leading us down that path they want to take us.

If we don't want it we need to organize ourselves and JUST SAY NO!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
FACT there was a 13% return. That means of the 5,634 members 1,498 people responded.
You might want to recheck your math.

Dennis
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #117
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
You're a little late to the party -- but we've all been told that already so hey -- why not!
Until the vote is taken, it is never too late.

Quote:
People here are getting sick and tired and tired and sick of this whole thing, so for your benefit I'll PM you a few things you should look at -- especially as you want to write an article.
Please feel free to share those thoughts in this thread so that others can benefit. If people are "sick and tired", as you indicated, then that is their problem and they can choose to not read the thread.

Quote:
Glad to see you chimed in -- who knew there'd be someone new that might be interested in all of this stuff...
I have a feeling there are many "lurkers" out there who are very interested in this stuff. I know because, until recently, I was one of them.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Wally's Airstream Carnival Club International.... Just call us
WACCI

Old 03-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Regarding the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
You might want to recheck your math.

Dennis
Hi Dennis, It wasn't my math the survey results were published in the Blue Beret on August 2005. I'm glad to see how many people are for NOT changing the name. I have always felt as you all seem to, that it would make very little difference. Im not really late on anything I just spend more time reviewing information. Research is something I do so I know a bad piece of work when I see it.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Im not really late on anything I just spend more time reviewing information. Research is something I do so I know a bad piece of work when I see it.
Oh dear no, you are not late! That was just a bit of tongue in cheek for all the good folk that have been telling us that its been stated and overstated and see no more need of it (no name change talk, that is.)

You'd think if one had enough they would avoid the thread knowing its purpose and not begrudge others the opportunity to review some of the info they have claimed to become tired of.

And any way you do the math is adds up to bad news if we don't just vote no.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
That $21000 they quote for the cost of the change only includes less than $1500 for lawyers. I'll bet that even moving the decimal point will not be enough for the lawyers.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Ok so I'm not the most trusting person, see tricksters behind every tree.

Let's say A inc wanted to start their own AOA but had legal concerns about infringment given the subtitle of the WBCCI. So if WBCCI considers and rejects the AOA name does that clear the way for A Inc to use the name? Not that I think they would be that ......... just a thought. Can you imagine how correct everyone would have to be in the company's club. All logo's on clothes, in windows, ect at rallies would have to be licensed and approved or they make you leave. I think those guys could be scary.

WACCI wants you.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #123

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Could it be?

I just received a communication from a local member who is very involved in WBCCI and has some International aspirations.

"Please be advised that the officers of WBCCI are ALL opposed to the name change. Their motion was simply to LET THE MEMBERSHIP DECIDE since it was from the membership that the change was proposed. PLEASE get that word out!"

The thought came to mind, that is it possible that the leadership didn't want to see a name change (as originally proposed)? Maybe they let the process be gerimandered so that what would come forth would be so totally unacceptable, that the entire name change issue dies?

You know its entirely possible that in the back room, these guys figured out that the rank and file would never let this happen, but just in case let's give 'um a name that nobody could support.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #124
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
And what promotion! It certainly generates thinking of the club. I never thought so long and hard as what the club means to me before in the past years I've been a member!

photography
Old 03-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #125
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
But I am just remembering here, Didn't John Irwin say his Texas unit was entirely for the name change? Isn't that the unit, or is it another Texas unit, that has several of the past WBCCI presidents, including the most recent and some officers that initiated the name change to begin with? The survey would not have netted the results it did had there not been WBCCI officers which were nearly half those tallied if they were not for a name change.

photography
Old 03-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
You know its entirely possible that in the back room, these guys figured out that the rank and file would never let this happen, but just in case let's give 'um a name that nobody could support.

Jack

Jack - If that's the case, I sure hope they're taking a good look at the election process that allowed the issue to get as far as it did before they offered up ee-I-ee-I-oh.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote