Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
The first time I heard the whole name change debate at my local WBCCI rally, it was presented as...."Airstream" needs to be somewhere in the club name. I thought that was what the vote at International was about, simply adding Airstream somewhere in the WBCCI like, for example, Wally Byam Airstream Caravan Club.
It was from this 2005 delegate's point of view.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
I suggest no name change.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Coca Cola.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
A Call To Action!

I gotta agree with most of what has already been stated in this thread. The information presented in the Blue Beret exposes this action for the folly it is. How the IBT could have unanimously approved a proposal that was based upon a flawed ASSUMPTION instead of the prior vote taken by the membership is beyond me.

We need to take this fight to the streets.

1. Ask you Unit President to take this vote via mailed ballots, so that all members have an opportunity to cast a vote. You Unit Bylaws probably allow for this option and this vote is TOO important to take any other way, certainly not via a "show of hands" at a unit function attended by a minority of the Unit members. Don't allow this decision to be made by those few that happen to be at the possibly poorly advertised rally or luncheon where the vote happens to be taken. I am sure most members will veto this proposal in a heartbeat - as long as they are made aware of it and are given the chance to vote. We cannot let this be handled like last year's vote where many members never knew a vote was taken and some units never voted at all!

2. Send a letter to your Unit or Region newsletter editor stating your opposition to this proposal so that other members can be made aware. Ask for others that disagree with the proposal to join this effort, especially to contact those without internet access.

3. Contact you Region President, who if I am not mistaken is a member of the IBT. Let him or her know what you think of this proposal. Be polite, but make your point.

And quite frankly, I am calling for all people that oppose AOAI to join this fight, whether or not you support the idea of adding Airstream to the name of the club. AOAI is certainly not the only way to do this - and it is obviously not the best way to do this. You do not need to support AOAI to have Airstream added to the club name. If WBCCI leadership wants to send a new proposal to us next year, so be it, but I wouldn't be upset is some unit or region did take up the charge to propose a motion to table the name change permanently.

I have one last thing to say and this proposal WILL BE very divisive to the club. If it passes, the current leadership may become known as the ones that hastened the demise of the club.

I don't want this to happen. I like WBCCI! I am proud of WBCCI! I have had fun at WBCCI events! I want to keep doing so in the future! I will do all that I can to keep this name change from happening. What are those famous words . . . ? Oh Yeah -
"Not on my Watch!".
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #25
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I am not a member of the WBCCI and I find this debate very interesting. The reason I have not joined come mostly from the local unit and have nothing to do with the name, but I do have a question. What does a $57 name badge look like?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Oh and I should add that while I like WBCCI and am proud of it, like many others here I see many ways (besides the voting process) where the existing club is dated and could use improvement. I can see many areas where improvements are necessary if the club wishes to attract and retain more younger, working folks like me. The point is that changing the name of the club is not the area in which WBCCI Leadership should be spending their attention and money, but it is perhaps the easiest way to make it look like effective change is taking place. (And I guess I beleive at least some of them probably beleive a name change is an effective change.) At best adding Airstream to the name of the club might help attract a few more new members, but as has been stated here before, without a number of internal changes, these new members won't be sticking around for a second year of memberhip. At worst, changing the name to something as radical as AOAI may drive a wedge into the club and hasten it's demise.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The question on the ballot for the delegates to vote on will be whether or not to accept the name being presented, "Airstream Owners Association International Incorporated" per the recommendation of the IBT.

"Thus, Airstream Owners Association International, Incorporated will be the name presented to the membership for their vote."

If this new name is not accepted, the task of selecting a different new name will go back to the name selection committee to be voted on by the Delegates at a later date. Based on the Delegates vote in June 2005, the name will change, the only vote now is "to what".
Shari -- thanks for clarifying! I thought that the delegates voted "yes" to the name change last year but I became confused after reading all the forum debates on this topic.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Your welcome...glad that helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Shari -- thanks for clarifying! I thought that the delegates voted "yes" to the name change last year but I became confused after reading all the forum debates on this topic.
It's been broken into two parts:

1) Should the name change? (approved June 2005)
2) What to? (on the table - first name "AOAII" to be voted on June 2006)

This came about because there were several names suggested as "motions" last year and it was very chaotic to go through each one. This way "a" name is being presented for "a" yes or no vote. Then the appropriate action will move forward ~

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #29

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If work permits I am thinking about attending our first rally, where this vote will be taken. While personally I'm not hung up about the name itself, I am a process person and I do feel that the process to get us to this point was flawed.

Not on the fact that the majority of the voting populace didn't get a chance to make this decision, but that the decision and the direction that we gave International was changed. We voted on adding the name "Airstream". I think that's pretty plain and simple.

My thinking is to raise the issue at the local meeting that this proposal does not reflect what was presented to us and in case should be rejected because it does not follow the intent of the original resolution that our unit approved. This is really why I will vote against the name change. As far as I'm concerned you can call it XYZ. Let's just make sure that we follow the direction that the membership originally gave.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
...I am a process person and I do feel that the process to get us to this point was flawed.

Not on the fact that the majority of the voting populace didn't get a chance to make this decision, but that the decision and the direction that we gave International was changed. We voted on adding the name "Airstream". I think that's pretty plain and simple.

My thinking is to raise the issue at the local meeting that this proposal does not reflect what was presented to us and in case should be rejected because it does not follow the intent of the original resolution that our unit approved. This is really why I will vote against the name change. As far as I'm concerned you can call it XYZ. Let's just make sure that we follow the direction that the membership originally gave.
Jack,

Could you elaborate on two of your comments so I can better understand:

1) What was presented to you by International
2) What you think the intent of the original resolution was and why

Thanks!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
Boy there is a lot of infighting going on here.....
It seems like there is enough dissension to form a new group.....perhaps?
Sure members could always just take their ball and just go home. Or they could care, be active and get involved. I wouldn't characterize it as "fighting." Think of it as a committment. You can not walk out and you are in a burning house, since there are no exits, everyone must work together to get the flames put out. If the club merely showed those with opposing view points the door the club would be pretty flat. In my opinion, what may be distressing to others as upheaval is a mark of a healthy club flexing and expanding. Just a few growing pains.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Jack,

Could you elaborate on two of your comments so I can better understand:

1) What was presented to you by International
2) What you think the intent of the original resolution was and why

Thanks!
At a unit rally last April one of the business items that we voted on was a resolution to add Airstream to the name of the organization. It was noted that the Blue Beret surveys returned noted that the membership expressed interest in getting the name Airstream included. It was noted that it always seems to be an issue outside of the organization as to who WBCCI is, and it was even noted that the welcome sign that the campground erected for us on that rally said "Welcome Greater St. Louis Airstream Club" rather than WBCCI.

After some discussion it was felt that adding the name Airstream would be a benefit and the vote reflected that our unit would back this change. It was noted to us that there would be a committee formed to formulate a name. I truly believed that what we would see is an amalgamation of WBCCI with the Airstream name.

I think somewhere at last year's International, someone made the decision that the authorization to change the name meant that any name was possible. I don't know if anyone stood up at that point to remind the folks that the marching orders from the unit votes were to include the name Airstream into the organizations name. Maybe a fine hair to split, but I know for a fact that a lot of the folks at our meeting were under the impression that Airstream would be added to WBCCI name in some fashion.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
My guess is that if you are a member of a Unit, you have access to all of these things whether or not every member choses to read them or not, is the member's responsiblity. How can you call yourself a member of "something", if you don't take enough time to read the information that defines what you are a member of???

Shari
To me the answer is easy, I do it all the time. I've been a long-term and short-term member of many organizations, clubs, professional societies, etc. over the years without having ever read their bylaws, rules and defining documentation in detail. Their reputation, history, traditions, actions, activities, and relationships with members define them to me and I've never found the need to read up. That I've been a member of WBCCI for less than a year and an issue has come up where someone would suggest it's unthinkable to call yourself a member without having read and fully understood all the defining details, rules and regs makes me want to rethink membership. My purpose for joining was to get out with our Airstream trailer and enjoy it with my family and other like-minded people. I'm perfectly happy with the New England Unit and the friendly and professional way it's leaders run things, and hope that I can reciprocate by being involved and helping the unit grow and prosper. But maybe I'm just too irresponsible a member for the larger WBCCI.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
dougjamie, my point was not that you should memorize the constitution & bylaws, but that every member should at least know they exist and look to them for guidance when questions on how things are done come up.

I'm sure you are an asset to your unit, I'm just trying to encourage those with questions on how their unit is run, to look within.

Shari

Old 03-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Doug & Jamie

Be cautious when someone tells you that you are the responsible one to gather and assimilate information or it's your fault. That is a manipulation by those who want you to feel bad and just go with the flow. The same as saying it's a "no brainer" which is to say "I have done the thinking for you, I am in the know and you should just trust me". Trust not this person.

In this name change we have seen the following:
Misdirection - the name change proposed doesn't match the motion.
Assumptions - the membership ASKED for the name change.
Self Delusion - the membership voted overwhelmingly for the name change.
Exclusion - not all members had material made available to them or were given the opportunity to even vote.

But we have also seen that information is poorly presented (if at all), The information presented is biased (there is no opposing viewpoint), and in the case of some of the individuals who are pushing this name change, self serving.

Don't feel guilty or pressured by any attempt by any member of these forums or of any representative of any group/unit who attempts to tell you that the information was right in front of you all along and you should be informed if you only took the time to read it. That is complete unadulterated BS. Some of us have been looking into this for months and only with the BB article have some of the pieces been released. Roy Bernd himself was reluctant to disclose information freely on the name change (like the market survey that really turned out to be just some acquaintances who are no longer in the business who said this was a good move).

The only information the IBT and Roy will put out is a PRO statement. Heck, even in our voting guides before elections we are given a pamphlet that gives an abbreviated "for and against" statement for every bond, etc... that you will be voting on. You will not see that with this name change.

So when someone tells you that you need to read this and that to be informed or it's your fault. You are not guilty - just misled.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #36
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
So when someone tells you that you need to read this and that to be informed or it's your fault. You are not guilty - just misled.
Buttercup,

I think YOU missed the point. This is the focus of their post. ------

"My purpose for joining was to get out with our Airstream trailer and enjoy it with my family and other like-minded people."

The name is not important, it's the people.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Buttercup, as passionate as you and 65gt are about complaining, accusing people of serving their own interest, implying conspiracys, and protesting the name change, I still don't see what you want to do about it. You have no plan of action. You are just stirring up sentiment against the WBCCI in general.

You claim to care about the club, but you are not involved enough in your unit to even know what is going on. You encourage others that they don't need to familiarize themselves with how their unit or the national club works, that someone else in this all volunteer organization should be responsible for feeding information to them. This is what got you in this position in the first place.

There are people who have been involved in this name change from the beginning. I am not shocked that they do not feel compelled to freely fill you latecomers in on everything you missed once you woke up and noticed what was going on. Particularly with the attitude you present to them, which is that this is some conspiracy by Thor and Airstream (who you rudely refer to as A**stream because apparently you love their product so little you have decided they are the enemy and you dare not speak their name) and the self serving national board members. Gee, why wouldn't they want to deal with you?

But, ignoring the fact that you do not wish to acknowledge even the slightest bit of responsibility for your unawareness of the name change until it came up on the forums, what do you want to do about it? Because as far as I can tell your plan is to sow discontent until someone else gets involved to change the way things are done to your liking.

Your posts on this forum do nothing to effect changes in the WBCCI as a whole, since only a very small percentage of active members read the forum. So really you are expending a lot of effort to speak to only a small number of members, most of who are not any more involved than you are. The few who are involved in thier units, you dismiss as part of the problem instead of listening to what they're saying.

If you actually have a plan that involves you doing something other than posting long rants on the forum about how everything is broken, feel free to tell us about it. Otherwise you may continue to freely rant here on the forum, but I see no point in it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Stephanie,

It is pretty presumptious to state that we aren't involved in our unit enough to know what is going on! How would you know? Are you in my unit? I haven't seen you at any of the luncheons that we have been in. Haven't seen you at any of our rallies. You don't know us at all. My wife is interested in this enough that she was nominated for and was elected as a delegate for our unit. I myself am working with my unit to develop our dealership relationship and public outreach - all in the name of improving our membership in our unit and thus the WBCCI as a whole. We have only been members for a year but I would say (and I know others would agree) that my wife and I have been quite involved.

Thank you also for reporting that my contributions to this forum have no value - mostly because it is different from yours. As a moderator and contributer to these forums, you are a person of authority on this list. Too bad that you, in that capacity, take it upon yourself to assign value to peoples posts on this list. It does remind ne of the old guard attitude that we have seen so much of since we joined - "I have seniority and you don't" kind of thing. Do you know what I mean? No?

As for my awareness - when we joined the WBCCI, there was no information available to us on the name change because the BB was not reporting on the status, at all. We can't be informed if the information is not made available to us. WBCCI does not have an online version of the BB that we could peruse at our leisure. So where do we go to get the most controversial issue to start picking apart. it was these forums that we (and many others) first learned about the name change. so how can I possibly be responsible for my "unawareness" if there was no information??? I have been in the club for less than a year.

I do not dismiss anybody who is involved in their unit - I congratulate them because it is that ground level involvement in the unit that starts the improvement, not sitting on one's hands.

I am not here to create hate and discontent, but I do run into a lot of proponents of the name change who accuse me of that, like you are doing. And I will hazard a guess that based on the aggressiveness of your post, somewhat out of character for a moderator, that you are in some fashion involved in the name change... Maybe not.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
And I will hazard a guess that based on the aggressiveness of your post, somewhat out of character for a moderator, that you are in some fashion involved in the name change... Maybe not.
And as I said, you dismiss those who are involved as part of the problem, and so the conspiracy continues...

Like every member (and even though I am a Mod, I am still a member of this community), I have the right to evaluate the value of your posts to me and my opinion of their value to contributing to the solution to the problem. I politely stated that I don't see any value, or any plan for resolution.

So, what's your plan?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
ahh...moderators are members too!

Quote:
As a moderator and contributer to these forums, you are a person of authority on this list. Too bad that you, in that capacity, take it upon yourself to assign value to peoples posts on this list.
Since when can a moderator not freely voice an opinion? If Steph was acting as a "moderator" you would have been reprimanded privately and warned appropriately...just because we chose to volunteer our time "moderating" we do not give up our opinions or freedom to post them, just as you have done.

Shari