Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
My two cents

Interesting reading all these posts about the clubs and all, thought I would throw my two cents in.

I've ALWAYS wanted an Airstream and finally got one last year, a '74 Ambassador. We've torn it down to the skin and are currently rebuilding, but that hasn't stopped us from taking Eddie out camping. As soon as there was a floor to lay on, we threw a dorm fridge and sleeping bags inside and took off to the local campground for a weekend. Our first weekend was in March and we've been several weekends and even a four hour drive for four nights in Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas. I've learned a few things:

1. I learned that deep down I hate rivets.
2. You Airstream guys (especially you vintage guys) are NUTS and yes, I realize that's a description I have to use to describe myself.

I found out that I can't go anywhere with mine and manage not to find someone to talk to about them. We went to Petit Jean in the middle of June this year and stayed at the state park. We met a retired couple from Shreveport with an '86 triple axle in a Walmart parking lot and talked to them for about forty-five minutes. At the park there was a family with a '75 Sovereign from central Arkansas (a few hours talking, first at their camper then later at ours) a mid 80s Excella (never saw them), a guy with a beautiful polished Bambi or Sport, a couple from Oklahoma with a 24 foot or so Argosy who insisted that we pull up chairs and a sit and visit for a while, and a retired couple from around the gulf coast of Texas who boondock every year in the shadow of the car museum. I really enjoyed talking to them. They've got four Airstreams I think and he's restored/rebuilt a few and is a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

I can only imagine how it is at a rally, with more of those Airstream nuts around

I talked to a dealer in Gulfport Mississippi and he gave us the same WBCCI info packet that new owners get when they pick up their trailers, he actually encouraged us to get involved. I do admit I do feel a tad bit younger, my wife and I are in our mid thirties with a thirteen year old and a ten year old. If my experiences so far are any clue, though, we'll definitely have to take a serious look at joining.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Look into joining a local club with nationwide benefits, if you have the time to spend enjoying your trailer with other folks with the similar interests and types of activities. It is a small price to pay, if you use the benefits offered. Join multiple clubs, if your interests vary a lot and one club does not offer all the benefits you want.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
If you don't want to join WBCCI immediately (we are members and love it) look for a Forums rally in your area. You might find a younger crowd and no dues required. We have attended those rallies and enjoy them also.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Well, sounds like you have a case of alumanitus. Welcome, everyone here has it. It is quite contagious. Only known cure/treatment is more aluminum.

Hope you join the fun.

Safe and happy travels.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
I can't argue with that diagnosis! We're not even through with rebuilding this one, and already looking for the next. We want a Sovereign rear bedroom, or maybe a classic. Every now and then I daydream about the thirty four foot triple axle models, they remind me if the old Pullman coaches in the golden days of railroading! I'd love to figure out how to do this full time, we've got places to see and trips to take!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My wife and I are at the other end of the spectrum, retired Well I am retired) with a new AS. We also get a lot of positive comments about our toy.

after owning the AS for about nine months we joined the WBCCI, a local affiliate (WDCU) and the TAC. We did so in the hopes to participate in the rallies and to make new friends on the road.

I will say you don't have to join any club to make new friends as I have found campers both young and old to be the best. The same is true for all those on the Forum. I have learnt so much from those who participate. As to the rallies the only thing that has kept us from participating are conflicts and time constraints.

Do you have to join no should you join All I can say is we are glad we did.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are many ways to develop friendships in the Airstream community.

You have joined the Forum, so that's the first step. We have made friends through the Forum.

There are Forum rallies, TAC rallies, other groups have rallies and there are WBCCI rallies. On the Forum and Portal pages (and probably others too) on the blue bar at the top, check out the calendar and community links to find out more. Some WBCCI rallies allow nonmembers in, though I'm not sure how you find that out.

We have gone to few rallies, though we have enjoyed them. We usually travel to be together somewhere else, exploring the US and Canada and don't have time for rallies. But the Forum gives me contact with many people and eventually Barb meets some of them. Sometimes we meet them somewhere (2 trailer rally I guess) and sometimes they visit us at home. To me, the Forum is a continuous rally.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Yep, a cyber rally.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper
Yep, a cyber rally.
Now if we could just figure out how to cook and eat as well as talk for hours!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
NOVA is a virtual airstream club for WBBCI all meetings are held online! We are also in our mid thirties and have an Argosy. Welcome to the forums! We are also members of TAC.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I will say you don't have to join any club to make new friends as I have found campers both young and old to be the best.
Agreed. On my first camping trip out of town we had several people come to help us. We were gone into town one day and a storm came up. When we got back, someone had put my awning down for me.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote