Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
My ideal WBCCI...

I am the membership chair of the WDCU unit 170 of the WBCCI- these opinions are mine however and not necessarily those of my unit (or my husband - I didn't run this past him yet). SO therefore if I do cause any sort of disruption it should be with me and not my unit!

That said... I enjoy the WBCCI because I enjoy camping with my unit and friends. I try not to get real caught up in all the political goings on- but it's hard and I do recognize that there are some major issues at hand.

First and foremost the WBCCI forums- if not operated by the club and not exclusive to the club then what's the point. The whole thing is a cluster **** (excuse the implied bad language). I suggest to stay away from them and let it get shut down so that "something better" can come forth.

The "something better" I am referring to would be a radical change in the layout and function of the WBCCI. Since it would take a lot of work and I'm not even sure how it could actually all get done- I would like to know if it's something other people would see as a positive or not. Here are my ideas for a new approach to the WBCCI...

1. Centralize all membership, monies, and voting through a new and improved WBCCI website. The website should allow members in good standing to log in and vote on motions- and everyone would vote individually not as a unit. The website would also offer an interactive rally calendar- with the ability to take registrations and sign ups online. How about an interactive courtesy parking map? (the VAP has one for listeners) Unit membership and renewals would also be processed online- no more membership chairs on the unit level and no more applications and dues falling through the cracks!

2. Units could concentrate on hosting caravans and camping rallies of all sorts and not focus on the logistics of the votes and money and renewals. Maybe even all units are the same price- why should one cost $25 and one be $1? All the units would step it up a little and it really would be about location and who you camp with not about the political views (that's would all be done online). Things like rally sign up forms would be standardized and offered as templates via the new and improved website- and there would be a whole section of the website dedicated to helping one learn how to host a rally! Maybe more intra-clubs would come to life- how about a Mt. Biking intra club that has rallies at NORBA races- or an intra-club for groups that go to art festivals- and intra-clubs could start hosting their own rallies and events. Even if it's just 3 airstreamers planning on meeting at a sporting event- invite others to join. I can tell from the forums that we all have a lot more in common than we think!

3. International could still be held- but it needs to offer things like carnival rides for kids and fireworks for attendees, as well as seminars on polishing and local photography. It needs to become a FESTIVAL and a real spectacular event! It needs to make a real impact on the places it's held each year and make headlines!

4. There will still need to be officers and newsletter editors on the unit level and some positions at headquarters itself- but do we still need regions and all the hierarchy also?

5. Simplify- Streamline- Move Forward

These are just some thoughts of how I would like to see my ideal WBCCI airstreaming club. What are your thoughts? What would be your ideal WBCCI? If you are not a member now- what would have to change to get you to join?

respectfully
April Hershberger
Old 01-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Nicley put April... your concept Wbcci is the Wbcci I want to be a part of.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
A great format plan. I would certainly join such a club. I'm ready to work on a intra-club for history/locations/events. ( :
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
...3. International could still be held- but it needs to offer things like carnival rides for kids and fireworks for attendees, as well as seminars on polishing and local photography. It needs to become a FESTIVAL and a real spectacular event! It needs to make a real impact on the places it's held each year and make headlines!
I've never been to International, but I certainly wouldn't bother if it's turned into a noisy zoo.

Lynn
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I've never been to International, but I certainly wouldn't bother if it's turned into a noisy zoo.

Lynn
I won't attend another International unless it's turned into a noisy zoo.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Which, in turn, highlights a problem for the International. Who do you cater to? There are so many tastes and styles that compromises have to be made. Who makes those compromises? How many people do you turn off with each one?

Lynn
Old 01-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Which, in turn, highlights a problem for the International. Who do you cater to? There are so many tastes and styles that compromises have to be made. Who makes those compromises? How many people do you turn off with each one?

Lynn
Exactly what kind of "problem" would be highlighted in an idea that may appeal to younger members, who are arguably the future of this club? In my humble opinion (an opinion of someone who has actually attended an International), 3stream's ideas about improving the International are spot on.

In my experience, other than making a (very) few new friends, partying with some old ones, and seeing a whole lot of Airstreams assembled in one place, the International was an immensely boring business meeting... with campers. Some of my "highlights" were the crews that came around (more accurately, patrolled) the sites to inspect your hook-ups to make sure your water connection wasn't dripping, your polarity wasn't reversed, and your Airstream was properly lined up on the mark. That, and the mild insults I took for not having my numbers applied (I still don't) was pure entertainment.

"How many people do you turn off with each one?"

I think perhaps the goal should be ... how many people you can turn on.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have been to four International rallies. The general theme that permeates every one of them for me is boredom. There is a small handful of useful and interesting seminars. The sad news is that minor things like the pet show and the flea market are the highlights of the week. I love to see my friends, but I can do that at unit and even region rallies.

I had other travel plans for this year before a resignation and an illness catapulted me into unit President. I do not plan to go to Gillette and I doubt greatly we will go to DuQuoin next year. Someone else in the unit will carry our flags or they will not get carried.

I agree that whether it be carnival rides and fireworks, or some other exciting happenings, the international rally needs to be rethought

By the way, I am 77. You don't have to be young to want something different.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Whatever may happen with International- there are changes that need to be made. But I kinda think that's neither here nor there compared to some of the larger issues at hand- the structure of the club per say.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
In my experience, other than making a (very) few new friends, partying with some old ones, and seeing a whole lot of Airstreams assembled in one place, the International was an immensely boring business meeting... with campers. Some of my "highlights" were the crews that came around (more accurately, patrolled) the sites to inspect your hook-ups to make sure your water connection wasn't dripping, your polarity wasn't reversed, and your Airstream was properly lined up on the mark. That, and the mild insults I took for not having my numbers applied (I still don't) was pure entertainment.
I have never been to an international. The two things stopping me are the cost and my preconceived notion that it is exactly as SilverRanger described, boring and a fancy business meeting. I am sure that there is a wonderful group of rebels that is secretly partying on the outskirts that I would love, but the rest of it simply doesn't excite me.

It's sad to see where the international rally could be something so spectacular, but the people in charge seem to keep it the same year after year. It doesn't need to be a zoo, but it does need to have something to excite all members of the WBCCI. Why can't it appeal to people of all stages of life? Why can't there be a sock hop for the people that appeals to and a mini-carnival for the kids? I want to see the WBCCI as a fun group for everyone, rather than catering to any particular group. International should be a time for everyone to come together and have a great time.

I think point number 5 on April's list is wonderful!

Andrea (I too did not consult my husband, and these are not necessarily his thought.)
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
OK, Andrea put her thoughts in here which is surprising in and of itself as she typically retracts from any discussion relating to the WBCCI. So now I must put mine.

April, your ideas are great. Some of them are similar to what the 2020 committee is proposing. One is embedded in one of the motions for winter IBT (website upgrades to allow for online payment of dues). Unfortunately like many thing that go through the gov't legislature, there's other things attached and it's the other things that might get the whole thing voted down. Some of your ideas are things that other people have mentioned or have suggested similar.

The main problem that it all comes back to is HOW to accomplish what seemingly a significant number of us see as the direction for the future. Do we make petitions? Seemingly not because I myself was involved in a discussion via the WDCU Yahoo group about writing up an online petition which died before it was written. Secession has been suggested, but no one unit is so 100% fed-up with the WBCCI that they are ready to risk not being a unit if things don't turn out well. Many have suggested withholding dues at the unit level as "ransom" to get national to pay attention, yet to my knowledge not one unit has organized enough to accomplish this in order to see what the result might be.

So at this point, like you and/or Andy have posted...we're paying the WBCCI dues in order to camp with people we like. I'm not happy with how money is being used at the national level, but honestly if the discussions on this forum were not here, I'd never be privy to the knowledge of the mistreatment. But, as of right now the WBCCI is the only organized Airstream club. Often I think that the loose organization of the AirForums is better. There's no telling if Andrea and I will be WBCCI members 5 years from now.

In the mean time, your suggestions as well as those of many others are very good ideas. The question is not what is the ideal WBCCI. The question is how to make the existing WBCCI move toward the ideal so that more people join the WBCCI than leave. Anyone have ideas here that will generate a royal following? I've tried, but I've given up. So for now I'm laying low with my rebellious attitude.

-Jason
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:

Lynn
Lynn,

The International is such a huge event that it could be both without each group ever having to experience the other.

The problem with current and planned near future Internationals is that they are eliminating choice more and more...
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Your comments are well thought out and presented April. It's obvious that some changes are desperately needed if this club wishes to attract new members without which your Club will perish.

Quote:
I am the membership chair of the WDCU unit 170 of the WBCCI......... First and foremost the WBCCI forums- if not operated by the club and not exclusive to the club then what's the point. The whole thing is a cluster **** (excuse the implied bad language). I suggest to stay away from them and let it get shut down so that "something better" can come forth.
Are you referring to the WBCCI Forum here on Airforums or the WBBCCI Forum on the official WBCCI Web Site? From what I understand the forums on the "official" site are heavily "moderated" (read: censored), a concept that I cannot endorse or support in any manner. Consequently such a forum in necessary here on Airforums to promote the free exchange of ideas between people, members and interested non-members, as we are doing with this thread.

Quote:
What are your thoughts? What would be your ideal WBCCI? If you are not a member now- what would have to change to get you to join?
I am not, nor have I ever been a member of the WBCCI. Given what I have read about the club at its' highest level and the alleged fiscal irresponsibility, policies on expense reimbursement and "stipends" as well as attempting to recover shortfalls by increasing membership fees and a substantial loss of members I am not leaning towards joining in the foreseeable future. The reason for this is that I would like to have more options that would tailor my personal membership to meet my needs and those of my family.

The concept of having a camping trailer appeals to me because it's something we can do together as a family. Tenting is too much like the military and we have become too accustomed to our creature comforts to surrender them even temporarily. Children grow up far too quickly and develop their own interests that are often not in concert with those of their parents. I own an Airstream simply because I love the deco design and the high quality of materials and workmanship found in the older units. I don't need a club to appreciate these things but it would be nice to associate with others who do too.

Since you asked what would have to change to get me to join, April, this is what it would take:

I feel that people should be able to join at various levels within the organization. In my case I would love to become a member of my local area unit because that's where my interests lie. I understand the NEU is a great group of guys and gals and I'd like to get to know more of them. On the other hand I have zero interest in joining a national organization because I am not going to participate in any activities on that level. With a kid in middle school and the fact that I am still working for a living, the concept of paying plenty to take off on a lackadaisical caravan to Pointe-au-Pic is not even an option, let alone something I would want to even consider doing at this stage of my life.

Additionally I have an intense dislike of "hobby politics" and the intendent "cult of personality it often breeds, having seen plenty of this nonsense in my time. I only want to have fun and help others have fun too, taking the rest of it none too seriously.

Finally, since I have a vintage Airstream I may be interested in joining the Vintage Club and as an Amateur Radio operator possibly that club as well. As things stand right now I have that option. But none of this will happen because I won't join the "mother" club because this aspect of the Club does not serve my interests.

Thanks, April, for initiating this thread and soliciting our inpoot on the subject. Hopefully positive change will be forthcoming as a result of what ideas you get from others. From what I have read the WDC Unit is a another great group that I would also have interest in joining if I lived in that part of the country.

Best regards,
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
Are you referring to the WBCCI Forum here on Airforums or the WBBCCI Forum on the official WBCCI Web Site? From what I understand the forums on the "official" site are heavily "moderated" (read: censored), a concept that I cannot endorse or support in any manner. Consequently such a forum in necessary here on Airforums to promote the free exchange of ideas between people, members and interested non-members, as we are doing with this thread.
I was in fact referring to the forums run (or rather not really run) by the WBCCI- they are run by a 3rd party with other goals in mind whom last I checked wasn't even in good standing in the WBCCI.

As to your other ideas and comments- thank you! I hope you do at least go to a rally with your local unit some time and enjoy the pleasure of camping with other Airstreamers! If it's your first time camping with them- you don't usually have to be a WBCCI member- just tell them you would like to check it out.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I have been lurking on this site for some time. My Father-in Law was very active in WBCCI, and with his passing a couple of years ago we are now using his trailer. I read the forums with great interest looking both for information on how to maintain our Airstream, as well as information on various events. We will be attending our first get together (Springstream) and are very excited about it.

As to the WBCCI, we went so far as to inquire if we could get the same number my in-laws had when they were members. However, after reading about all of the stuff going on at a national level, I don't think I want to spend my dollars to support it. We would love to join a local group and strongly support that concept, but not sending the majority of our $$ to the national portion. I am still working full time. I have two children in grade school, and will thus not be attending any national events.

We love our Airstream and are very appreciative of the history behind it. I thought that was what WBBCI was supposed to be about.

We are young enough to wait out a change in national leadership, but would rather not have to. I have belonged to many other vibrant organizations in the past and still do belong to some. Granted I only have the second hand information I have obtained here to go on, but shouldn't the focus always be on the membership, and the wants/needs of said membership. They are the customers of the organization. Just like in any business, ignoring the customer leads to FAILURE.

In an attempt to circle back and prevent thread creep, I fully applaud April Hershberger's suggestions. She describes a national I would join.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
I was in fact referring to the forums run (or rather not really run) by the WBCCI- they are run by a 3rd party with other goals in mind whom last I checked wasn't even in good standing in the WBCCI.
This is quite an interesting relevation. Is this the same individual who is "moderating" the forum?

Quote:
I hope you do at least go to a rally with your local unit some time and enjoy the pleasure of camping with other Airstreamers!
I have a good friend who is active in the Unit. Twice a year I rent a beautiful fairgrounds in NH where we run a two-day amateur radio event. There's plenty of room for a rally and I am hoping that the New England Airstreamers will come and enjoy the venue as much as we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
As to the WBCCI, we went so far as to inquire if we could get the same number my in-laws had when they were members. However, after reading about all of the stuff going on at a national level, I don't think I want to spend my dollars to support it. We would love to join a local group and strongly support that concept, but not sending the majority of our $$ to the national portion. I am still working full time. I have two children in grade school, and will thus not be attending any national events.
I applaud your efforts to solicit feedback from people like Aviator who may want to join but are disuaded by the shenanigans of the high command of the main club. Units should run the club, not the other way around. I also see no real raison d'etre for a "regional" level of bureaucracy. Hopefully more like us will post our reasons for not becoming WBCCI members at this time so the folks who want the club to prosper will make the necessary changes to make it attractive for us to consider becoming members at whatever level suits our needs and requirements.

Thanks again,

MisterMike
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
membership, wbcci