Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #61
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I wish the Motorhome admendment would fail. It would push the old school out and make room for the new school.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Unhappy Sad Days for our Club

What a disappointment. I believe if this proposal passes it will mark the beginning of the end of the WBCCI / Airstream club. Too bad, I really love my local Unit and had hoped to fill my retirement years traveling with Airstreamers on Caravans.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #63
Certifiable

. , .
Chin up mbb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
What a disappointment. I believe if this proposal passes it will mark the beginning of the end of the WBCCI / Airstream club. Too bad, I really love my local Unit and had hoped to fill my retirement years traveling with Airstreamers on Caravans.
It will not pass. I refuse to believe that two thirds of this club can be deluded into thinking that this is a good idea. And regardless of the outcome, we would be honored to accompany you and Leon and Patty and Rick and your parents and any other Airstreamer on any Caravan. Even if the IBT and WBCCI doesn't want anything to do with it due to possible liability issues.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The line of reasoning expressed by "Wheel Interested" yesterday is exactly what separates us on this issue - and, no, there is really no legitimate reason why we have to make a change. The growth in popularity of Airstream is stronger than ever - and not solely because of WBCCI. I did not buy an Airstream to be associated with SOBs - but, rather, and, very emphatically, because there is no other brand that I have even the slightest affinity for! This is/was a personal decision and I choose to associate with others who share this almost inexplainable passion for Airstream. Only that passion justifys the price we pay and the commitment we make. There are literally dozens of clubs for SOBs - and some whose members are just as passionate. That's why it's such a great thing to live where we have choices and the freedom to make them. I, for one, don't want anyone else to mess with the choice I made! If you have arrived at a point in your life where a new motorhome is the only way to go - perhaps it's time to move on to a new group.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I just received the April issue of the Blue Beret and read the "President's Corner. The implication of this editorial seems to be that, if the Motorhome issue is not resolved in favor of letting Four Winds motorhomes into the WBCCI, we will lose a vast majority of the members who volunteer and support the Club. Somehow the "common bond" we share has switched from the love of Airstreams and camping to the "personal relationships of members" and a devotion to the organization - no matter what form it takes! I sure as heck enjoy the relationship of fellow Airsteamers but, once again, it's the passion for Airstream itself that binds us. Does anyone seriously think for a moment that a bunch of passionate Hog owners would welcome rice burners into their club??? As for "volunteerism," I've never seen a more dedicated bunch of volunteers than those in the NEU! Further, if you follow the forum closely you'll find that there are many other units developing along the same line, with younger members and a tremendous spirit! Personally, I can't imagine that anyone who has the resources to buy a new motorhome (---and I hope like heck we're not thinking this move includes old Four Winds) doesn't have the gumption to consider restoring an older Airstream motorhome. If they simply have to have a new "whatever" they've obviously lost the passion.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I heard that the motion was expanded to allow used Four Winds to join.

Cracker that is also why we joined WBCCI because it was an Airstream club. We have had other kinds of trailers before and never felt inclined to join a travel club. The WBCCI is unique with it's history and Airstream product. I am sure there would be Fourwinds owners that would not find the club any more appealing than the Airstreamers that leave or do not join. The problem isn't external as to who to get to be a member, the problem is internal as to who are members and how they function. CHANGE is needed, but now we are all busy trying to keep the club so there is something left to work on when we can get past this. Ideas from the IBT are anything, any wild hare, the name, the brand, anything but self examining. They like their life, their clique, their method of operation, when we ask for changes they decide to change the people under them to keep their course steady.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Wheel Interested:

Looking back at my comments, I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't mean to imply that the quotes you provided were yours!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Yeah if I do sink with the ship, I want it to be with me mates. Thanks for clearing that up, Cracker. I posted those articles because I thought they were noteworthy since there has been little said in defense of the motion.

I find it interesting in Norm's article that the emphasis seems to be on financial support and dues collected. The forums rallies have proven that we can get together and pay as we go and have absolutely zero overhead for a great rally. Experiencing this first hand I cannot think of WBCCI as not being able to exist without these massive contributions from commercial supporters or raising the already high dues of the members. There is another solution and that is to look at the budget and the way club money is being utilized. For the average member, you get a Blue Beret and a member's index, if you are a rally volunteer or an officer there are perks up and down that require funding. This is what they are afraid of losing. Maybe we shouldn't have a teen queen prize of thousands and thousands of dollars, maybe there is a lot of fat to trim off, why not examine this before running scared and opening the club up to anyone with the price of dues.

In the Metro Detroit Presidents Corner 12 motorhome owners from the unit are numbered to be protected, at least one of these 12 owners has said publicly they do not support the new motion and for all we know the majority of the others may also prefer the Airstream only club they joined up for. Besides that the motorhome percentage has been inflated by the IBT to a higher percentage for support of the measure, it also falsely presumes that every member owning a motorhome would support the constitutional change and that is just not true. It is also not true that everyone of the motorhome owners will require new motorhomes, so this action really only represents benefits for a very very few, however the problem being is which few, the few that have control of this club.

photography
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
"I can't imagine that anyone who has the resources to buy a new motorhome (---and I hope like heck we're not thinking this move includes old Four Winds) doesn't have the gumption to consider restoring an older Airstream motorhome."

I should think that a guy who can buy a $250K motorhome certainly wouldn't want to waste his time fixing up a 30-60 year old travel trailer or a 25 year old motorhome. If you've got the bread for a brand new one, why waste your time patching up some "old junker?"

I paid $2500 for my trailer. Several people told me it was a hunk of junk. But to me, I saw an easel I could make a masterpiece on. Body was perfect and interior not too bad. And, even doing a total rebuild like I plan, I doubt if I put more than an additional $10K into it (plus my sweat equity). That's chump change to a guy who can buy a new 40' diesel pusher.

I have no beef against motorhome guys. I wouldn't mind having one myself. But, I think it's two different worlds; the guys who fix up a 30 year old rig vs. the guys who buy a new one for the price of a house.

Can they coexist in the same club? I don't know. Maybe. But it would seem to me that if you take away the common thread of a club, then you've changed the club. So, the majority needs to figure out if they want to change the club or not. I think that's the real question.

Just my two cents. Adjusted for exchange that's about 0.6 cents

Personally, I like polished aluminum...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
I should think that a guy who can buy a $250K motorhome certainly wouldn't want to waste his time fixing up a 30-60 year old travel trailer or a 25 year old motorhome. If you've got the bread for a brand new one, why waste your time patching up some "old junker?"...

Agreed---but if that's where you are in life perhaps you belong with others of a like mindset - i.e., owners of $250,000 plus motorhomes. Again, it's the "passion" thing - it's why guys like Jay Leno go GaGa buying and fixing up antique automobiles; it's why people buy old rotten yachts and spend a fortune restoring them. IMHO it's that "passion" thing about our Airstreams that we're fighting to protect. If we give up the "exclusivity" of the WBCCI the loss of passion will follow. Why is that so difficult for some to understand? Could it be that the "perks" that come with being a high echelon "unpaid volunteer" (i.e. - Officer ofWBCCI) are partially to blame? Has the Pomp and Circumstance become the more important thing?

Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Cracker, I hear you loud and clear on the passion thing. I don't know what it is about these aluminum tubes that attract me, but I really dig them!

I think about all the work that I need to do to mine and it bums me out sometimes. Then I get in my dad's Holiday Rambler fifth wheel and think "Man this thing has ten times the room my little tin can has." But in the end I keep coming back and planning more good mods to the Airstream.

I like old Chris Crafts too. And nothing beats a Stearman biplane. Yup, it's a passion kind of thing. I really like all the old aluminum trailers. I'd love to have a Spartanette in addition to my Stream.

Cheers,
Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
it also falsely presumes that every member owning a motorhome would support the constitutional change and that is just not true.
You are correct in this. My folks are NOT in favor of allowing non Airstream manufactured MHs into our club and they are the owners of an "older" 2001 Airstream MH.

Dad says if/when they need to replace their MH they will find another Airstream MH or move back to an Airstream trailer if a Airstream MH is no longer an option.

My folks are not in the "inner circle" or "leadership" of the WBCCI. They are just regular WBCCI members who enjoy Airstream ownership and camping / traveling with Airstream friends.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #73
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Carol,
There is no overhead for the rallies but we do have overhead for the forums. While no fee is required to use the forums it is a good idea to contribute. The admins are donating thier time. Bandwidth is not free. Become a supporting member, Donate!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
How true Michelle! If it weren't for the forums I would not have known you before we ever met. That goes for many many friends I have made here. It's the only real game in town for Airstreamers in my opinion.

Myboyburt I am glad to hear your folks are just as committed to Airstreaming as ever even if they have to make adjustments to remain true to the club. They're the role models we want to emulate! They are the kind of people I wish we had as our leaders!

photography