Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITOWAIR
reason for not renewing
" Due to death, age or poor health, 32 percent;"
Thats a total of 290 twice as many as due to the SOB issue, perhaps we should look into other sources of membership retention .
I think we should make a motion to put an end to loss of membership due to death! Once a member always a member...even posthumously.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblee5244
Most of the people that oppose this also oppose airstream motorhomes being in the club. . .

. . . I believe that most Vintage and Classic members will say "good ridance" when motorhome owners leave the club because they cannot upgrade.
Please do not stereotype those that are against letting non-Airstreams into an Airstream club as MH haters. That is not true for any of the people I know that are vocal about opposing non-Airstreams being added to the club. It is also not true for anyone in the Vintage Airstream Club that I know.

The point is 99+% of us joined this club because it is THE Airstream Club, not a Caravan Club, not some 'ole RV Club. There are plenty of RV club's, and many might say some of them are better than WBCCI in many ways, but they are not AIRSTREAM clubs. It is our Airstream focus that makes us special. Well that and the rich 52 year history of the club that many of us cherish.

Don't take Wally out of the name and don't let other brands in!*

*Exception: I probably could support some sort of "grandfathering" amendment where current members, whether they currently own an AS Class A MH, a B-van, or a trailer are allowed to remain in the club after they no longer own and AS. Actually this is already a rule. The difference is that maybe we change the rules to not "kick them out" if they buy an SOB. But this should apply only to WBCCI members at the time the amendment passes (i.e. it grandfathers current members only, not future members, and not folks that have never owned a product manufatured by Airstream).

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #31
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Just because we oppose destroying the 50 + year history of the club in no way means we oppose any Airstream MOHO owner.
I for one have no issues with any Airstream manufactured product or their owner.

I an vehemently opposed to ending the grand and exclusive history of this club by letting other brands in.

3 years ago the membership responded to a survey stating that they were opposed to bringing in other brands to the club by 77%. Those numbers are most probably the same or greater now. And in all likelihood, if it were to pass, the club would see a greater decline in membership in WBCCI than the small numbers that are trying to protect.

We are about Airstreams and about protecting Wally's heritage. An Airstream is an Airstream. But an SOB which will never be recognized as an Airstream is not an airstream. That's the central issue.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #32
tincantom

1975 25' Tradewind
Crossville , Tennessee
Question Why did you originally join the WBCCI?

Quote:
The bottom line is that Airstream is not going to make any more motorhomes. Those of us that have them will have to leave the club.
I don't know why you originally joined this club, but for me I had long wanted an Airstream for a lot of reasons. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it made me eligible for a great long standing club. I have understood since day one that if I didn't *own an Airstream I was no longer to be elibile to be a member of an Airstream club, much less be an officer. You sir, seem to be set on leaving if this ill advised proposal does not pass. Nothing in the club C/BL or rules mandates you leave the club if the Constitution is not amended to allow non-Airstream mfg products.
* There is a provision for prior members to remain affiliated with the club when they no longer can operate an RV.
I can't help it, I like Airstreams and I like an Airstream club and NO I don't want any other brand RV accepted and I really don't want some individual who has never owned an Airstream becomming a member of an Airstream club just because he purchases a Mandalay (or whatever). On top of that your position would allow this indivual to become an officer and lead the Airstream club. What could you be thinking?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
*Exception: I probably could support some sort of "grandfathering" amendment where current members, whether they currently own an AS Class A MH, a B-van, or a trailer are allowed to remain in the club after they no longer own and AS. Actually this is already a rule. The difference is that maybe we change the rules to not "kick them out" if they buy an SOB. But this should apply only to WBCCI members at the time the amendment passes (i.e. it grandfathers current members only, not future members, and not folks that have never owned a product manufatured by Airstream).
I meant to say
Quote:
. . . not "kick them out" if they buy an SOB Motorhome.
Under no circumstances should my comment be interpreted as possibly being for accepting SOB trailers and 5th wheels into WBCCI. The folks that want one of those can easily by an Airstream Trailer instead, and there are a few AS 5th wheels out there if they look hard enough to find one..
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:53 AM   #34
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I think we should make a motion to put an end to loss of membership due to death! Once a member always a member...even posthumously.
That would keep the numbers up! kind of like the church rolls where they have 15,000 members but only 500 are active

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
That would keep the numbers up! kind of like the church rolls where they have 15,000 members but only 500 are active

Aaron
The only question remaining would be whether these "late" members would be associate members or full members with the 1m1v privilege and could they be officers?

Also, I guess the IBT would have to allow a vote whether these dearly departed members could have full membership privileges if they didn't have an Airstream Funeral Coach or if they could be grand-fathered in if they had to use an SOB luxury hearse (Caddy or Lincoln) if they couldn't get the Airstream Funeral Coach!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I own both a motorhome and trailer, and am opposed to letting other brands in the club. This is an Airstream club and it should stay that way. The person that started this fiasco believes that letting SOBs in will lead to great growth in the club. I believe that he is dead wrong! Why would any SOB motorhome owner want to join this club when FMCA is available? FMCA is less expemsive, offers more perks and rallies. Any SOB owner joining WBCCI would not likely receive a warm welcome.

If we were to really go after Airstream owning non-members, we could make a much greater impact on membership numbers than going after SOB motorhome owners. Unfortuntely, there seems to be little, if any, effort along those lines.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
If I belonged to a Ford Model T club, I would expect the officers to own a Ford Model T, if I belonged to a Ford Model A club, I would expect the officers to own a Ford Model A, if I belonged to a Packard club, I would expect the officers to own a Packard, if I belonged to a Ford Thunderbird club, I would expect the officers to own a Ford Thunderbird. All of these vehicles have been discontinued.

Why is it mean spirited and unreasonable to expect the officers of an Airstream club to own an Airstream?

Just my personal opinion.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #38

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The car clubs are a little different than WBCCI. I belong to the Classic Thunderbird Club International (CTCI) and two different national Ford Model A Clubs (MARC & MAFCA), and have been a member of these clubs for 20+ years. Yes, I own a 1956 Thunderbird and a 1931 Model A Ford. Ownership of these vehicles is not, however, required to be a member or to hold office in the club. Just having an interest in the vehicles is sufficient to be a member; just pay your dues and you're in. On the other hand, WBCCI requires ownership of an Airstream product to be a member.

At a CTCI Convention only Classic Thunderbirds can be shown for judging, but all members can participate in the convention with or without a car to show. You can even bring your classic Corvette to one of these conventions and display it in another area.

Maybe WBCCI could take a lesson from the car clubs and open up membership to anyone with an interest in Airstreams and willing to pay the dues. This may even serve to significantly increase membership. All members, even without an Airstream, could attend and participate in events. The only restriction would be that they could not park with the Airstreams.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
Another battle in the name change war?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
If I belonged to a Ford Model T club, I would expect the officers to own a Ford Model T, if I belonged to a Ford Model A club, I would expect the officers to own a Ford Model A, if I belonged to a Packard club, I would expect the officers to own a Packard, if I belonged to a Ford Thunderbird club, I would expect the officers to own a Ford Thunderbird. All of these vehicles have been discontinued.

Why is it mean spirited and unreasonable to expect the officers of an Airstream club to own an Airstream?

Just my personal opinion.

Bill

Could it be that this non-Airstream SOB motorhome thing is a diversionary tactic in the name change war?

After all, both ammendments were introduced by the same people. The ploy being that if you really want to guard against SOB's; having Airstream in the name will exclude other brands by default.

Ed
Old 02-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I have a T-Bird

I bet my '89 T-Bird Super Coupe is faster than your '56. Wanna race

This whole issue is tough. When I toured Jackson Center last year, the gent taking us on the tour told us they're not building any more motorhomes because they just couldn't sell them. He said the trailers are selling pretty well, but the motorhomes just sat on the lots.

The motorhomes did look nice, but they looked like all the other freightliner chassis fiberglass square ones out there. Which is not to say they look bad at all; they looked incredibly sharp. But they didn't look like a vintage airstream.

Has Thor/AS done any market research to see if there'd be an interest in bringing back the "classic" looking motorhomes? Maybe I'm over simplifying here, but why couldn't they take a 34' shell and put a nose plug on it and have a new super touring motohome that looks like the vintage trailers? I would think they'd appeal to the Hollywood set if nothing else.

How about a "Friends of the WBCCI" organization that would be separate, but allowed to attend the functions? The boxy motorhomes could be in that.

I'm watching this whole thing with interest. Trying to decide if I want to join the WBCCI or not. Personally I like the vintage rigs the best. But isn't the Vintage Airstream Club a subset of the WBCCI, so that you have to pay more money on top of the WBCCI membership to be in the VAC?

How about a VAC only organization that is outside of WBCCI altogether? There, by definition, you would have to have a travel trailer (no motorhomes at all) that is at least 25 years old. I would think Argosy's would be OK. But that'd be it: Old Airstream and Argosy travel trailers only.

Just an idea...
Old 02-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #41
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
As noted above, if you want to belong to an exclusive Airstream organization you would join WBCCI. That was they way it always was and should continue. Isn't it interesting that the individuals who are now apparently pushing to allow non-Airstream products into our organization, are the same who not that many years ago started a campaign to stop MoHo made by AS into the organization, in addition fought to keep out Argosys?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #42
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy4
Could it be that this non-Airstream SOB motorhome thing is a diversionary tactic in the name change war?

After all, both ammendments were introduced by the same people. The ploy being that if you really want to guard against SOB's; having Airstream in the name will exclude other brands by default.

Ed
Interesting stategic thinking Ed. I hope you're wrong. It's a conspiracy theory that, even if true, would be impossible to prove without some direct and compelling evidence. Most likely from a conspirator. Not a likely scenario here.

For the record, I will be voting against the IBT's proposed amendment to our Constitution. Clearly, for two years in a row, the IBT has come up with incredibly shortsighted, divisive and ill-advised proposals. I believe they have lost whatever "vision" they had and should be held accountable for their actions. I am, however, taking this year's proposed amendment at face value. I don't need any more incentive to vote against it. It's a terrible idea IMHO. All by itself.