Old 02-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblee5244
I have a 2000 Land Yacht XC and I do support the addition of the Four Winds Motorhomes into the club. Most of the people that oppose this also oppose airstream motorhomes being in the club. Most motorhomes look alike and do not stand out like the traditional Airstream trailer does. With all of the negative comments on this issue, I do not see it passing. I believe that most Vintage and Classic members will say "good ridance" when motorhome owners leave the club because they cannot upgrade.
Bob,

I respectfully disagree, the issue of whether or not motorhomes belong in WBCCI is "settled law". The issue is whether or not a single manufacturer RV club allows owners of RVs manufactured by another company as members.

Just my personal opinion.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Boblee for expressing your opinion. I hope more Airstream motorhome owners are heard from too.

And sorry not about your decision but about your feeling that the club does not fully embrace motorhome owners. I myself think it is just fine. That's the way it was when I joined and have never considered it less than desirable. I would love one myself. I think like Bill does that we are an Airstream club. My objections are not about motorhomes but about non-Airstreams. Don't want to pontificate over your opinion, glad you added it. I just feel badly that any WBCCI members would feel discriminated against, whether Argosy owners, motorhome owners, Squarestreams, fifthwheel, cstream, bvans, the Torpedo, BaseCamps or even MALs, vintage, classic or new. We all belong to our Airstream club together.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Bob,

Quote:
I have a 2000 Land Yacht XC and I do support the addition of the Four Winds Motorhomes into the club. Most of the people that oppose this also oppose airstream motorhomes being in the club.
Sorry if the actions of some have led you to believe this. I do not believe that is at all the case. Heck, we drag a vintage trailer, but some of our best WBCCI friends drive motor homes.

The problem is just as it's stated, no more and no less--WBCCI for RVs manufactured by Airstream. Opening up the club to other brand RVs is overkill. I appreciate the concerns of long-time members who want to buy a motor home in the future and have no problem with grandfathering existing WBCCI members to stay in the club with some other brand motor home.

Best regards,
Nuvi
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
The grandfather concept would make a good middle ground. I believe that this country was built on compromise??

The only question I have at this point is...
Has this kind of stuff been going on for the last 50 years, or has it just started since I joined?? If it has just started, I will quit so you can get back to a normal club.......
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #19
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
There might be another way to state the grandfathering idea: Folks who had an Airstream and joined under current rules can simply continue within WBCCI, regardless of their current ownership. This is, after all, more or less what's done with bunches of our elderly members, who have sold their rigs (=own no rig at all), but continue to attend functions, mainly luncheons and dinners.

What this would mean in turn is that we turn down the proposed amendment and leave well enough alone.

?
Lynn
Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
The bottom line is that Airstream is not going to make any more motorhomes. Those of us that have them will have to leave the club. If everyone is O.K. with this, then so be it. It has been said that there are many Airstream motorhomes on dealer's lots available for sale. The problem is that the ones available are over-priced and out-dated. The Mandalay is a better value and the quality is as good as the Airstream. As I said, I do not think the proposal will pass. If it did probaly no more than 10-15 would ever show up at a WBCCI function. My motorhome will last me as long as I will be around, but I hate to see good members leave because of this issue. We tried to get Thor to re-badge the Mandalay as an Airstream, but it would have upset their dealer network. I do not see the difference in that and and the "Airstream Edition". I'd bet that when Airstream opened the new factory in Ohio that people didn"t want them in either.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
The bottom line is that Airstream is not going to make any more motorhomes. Those of us that have them will have to leave the club. If everyone is O.K. with this, then so be it. It has been said that there are many Airstream motorhomes on dealer's lots available for sale. The problem is that the ones available are over-priced and out-dated. The Mandalay is a better value and the quality is as good as the Airstream. As I said, I do not think the proposal will pass. If it did probaly no more than 10-15 would ever show up at a WBCCI function. My motorhome will last me as long as I will be around, but I hate to see good members leave because of this issue. We tried to get Thor to re-badge the Mandalay as an Airstream, but it would have upset their dealer network. I do not see the difference in that and and the "Airstream Edition". I'd bet that when Airstream opened the new factory in Ohio that people didn"t want them in either.
Bob,

The Jackson Center, Ohio plant was opened in 1952 and WBCCI was formed in 1955. I don't think that the Airstreams built in the Ohio plant was an issue then. The California plant closed in 1979.

Just my personal opinion.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood the initial proposal from the IBT, but I was under the impression that ANY Fourwinds motor home product could be re-badged not just the Mandalay. Anybody have any clarification on that? On a personal level I think that grandfathering or associate membership is the best choice, however what is to keep someone from coming up a few more years from now and deciding that they want to let something else in? Once you set a precedent it can become very dangerous in the future.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Mandalay is a product of Four Winds. I was just using that as an example. Four Winds makes several motorhomes that would be included in the proposal. As I have said, I would be in favor of grandfathering without the restrictions of separate parking and not beeing able to vote or hold office.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
The bottom line is that Airstream is not going to make any more motorhomes. Those of us that have them will have to leave the club.
Whether this proposal passes of fails, those with Airstream motor homes will still be able to be members of the WBCCI. There is nothing that says you will have to leave the club. If the motion fails, the only reason you would have to leave is if you sell your Airstream motor home and don't want to be an associate member. As long as you own an Airstream product you can remain a member as long as you wish.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Yeah but on the same hand the trailers at dealers are overpriced too. Until the CCD and new models they were dated. I can't say it isn't a good value and ask to bring another trailer into the club because its less expensive.
Those of you that have them (as motorhomes?) will have to leave the club, why? You already have them and are in the club. No one will be forced to change their Airstream that they currently have. Why not just keep your Airstreams? We all need to.

photography
Old 02-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know, I don't understand something. I received the Blue Beret and was showing it to my brother-in-law and in the back there was an add for a dealer that had 2007 Class A Airstreams at a discount!

If these WBCCI officers value their positions in the club so much as to cut a deal (whatever that may be) with the Thor to put stickers on yet-to-be-built Four Winds motor homes so they can retain all the "privileges" of WBCCI membership, why don't they just go ahead and trade for a new motor home now while they are still available...and at a discount at that!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
During discussion at the IBT meeting it was also reiterated that members could purchase better quality motorhomes for less money if this motion goes through. That seemed to make a lot of people in the audience happy.

So is this an underlying reason for the motion and Airstream not making them anymore has just opened the window of opportunity to satiate this motive?

photography
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Numbers

Quote:
The bottom line is that Airstream is not going to make any more motorhomes. Those of us that have them will have to leave the club.
This is what I do not understand, There is absolutly no reason why anyone "wil have to leave the club" with out making any changes what so ever. If you are currently in the club the fact that Airstream no longer makes motorhomes has absolutly no bearing. If you are in the club then you own an "Airstream Manufactured" product be it a motorhome, a trailer or anything else that meets the current requirments.

What they think this change will fix is insignificant to say the least. I did some simple math based on the membership report on the WBCCI website.

Membership Report as of Dec. 31, 2006

Total membership in 2003=7607
Total membership in 2006=6699
total loss = 908

reason for not renewing
"Sold trailer or motorhome or purchased another brand, 16 percent;"
lets assume that all of them bought an SOB, that means we lost a total of 145 members over 3 years, or 48 members a year. This is a drop in the bucket.
So now lets say that they all bought the WBCCI approved Motorhome, now we would have only lost 736 members , WOW that makes a big differance

reason for not renewing
" Due to death, age or poor health, 32 percent;"
Thats a total of 290 twice as many as due to the SOB issue, perhaps we should look into other sources of membership retention .

Let's not destroy this great club by opening up to SOBs, lets keep our current members who wish to purchase new motorhomes and cannot but a new Airstream by grandfarthering them in.

Once and Airstreamer always an Airstreamer