Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Minority Opposes Motorhome Amendment???

I get the distinct impression, when reviewing the lastest edition of the Blue Beret - received today - that those of us who oppose the motorhome admendment are somehow in the minority! How this determination was made will remain, forever, a mystery. I guess our delegates should simply cede defeat - since the cause is hopeless!

A second threat, to those of us in the minority, comes in the form of a warning that we should be aware of an even more ominous possibility that the admendment could be modified to include all Thor products - and not just Four Winds motorhomes. Plus, we were reminded that if the admendment passes in its current form it will include used Four Winds motorhomes, as well as new.

And lastly, if all else fails, we will be asked to create an elite group of grandfathered WBCCI members who will be allowed to remain in the club regardless of what form of RV they choose in the future. This means that a wealthy menber of this elite group could attend future rallys in the custom Provost of his choosing. Further, if I understand this correctly, anyone who is in the WBCCI at the time the admendment passes would be "grandfathered" - or does it only apply to those who have an Airstream motorhome, or those who are over 65, or those who are presently national officers, or those who have legitimate grandchildren??? Decisions, decisions!

Interesting - but ridiculous as heck!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Do not concede so quickly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
I get the distinct impression, when reviewing the lastest edition of the Blue Beret - received today - that those of us who oppose the motorhome admendment are somehow in the minority!
Check out these results: Vote No

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think it will go down in flames. The real battle it seems to me, is whether the individual units will give their reps the ability to vote on compromises or ammendments to the initial proposal. That's where the real danger is in my opinion.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I agree Jack - and that's where we need to keep pointing out the possible amendments and compromises that could come from the floor. This thing is silly beyond belief! ----and trust me Shari, I don't think we're in the minority by any stretch of the imagination! That's why I questioned how the determination was made. It's like an attempt to reach out to those people who can never take a stand - but simply want to be on the "winning" team!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Exclamation

What we must all remember is that the Blue Beret is edited by those at the top, so of course they will present the illussion of winning the battle before the first shot is fired. Beware everyone, they want this and they want it bad! Also, we are now in the midst of Spring Business Season and I am aware of three units who will be going to Perry to vote YES! I do not at this time any confirmation of any unit voting NO. I know that will change as the meetings start taking place. I urge every WBCCI member to attend their unit meetings and vote. Of course I would hope you vote NO but please do vote.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
<snip>I am aware of three units who will be going to Perry to vote YES! I do not at this time any confirmation of any unit voting NO. <snip>
The DenCO Unit will be voting NO.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
We do have units voting no. We have been tracking this at Savewally Forums. Like the name change there are so many reasons that this is a bad idea but it is so important for the leadership to portray this as a no problems kind of motion. I think they have learned their lesson with the name change that if they just sell it like it is no big deal it will go. I just wonder how many people are already thinking of walking just because of this issue, without it even passing yet. How many are really sick and tired of the self serving leadership we see today.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The DenCO Unit will be voting NO.

Shari

Thank you!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
We do have units voting no. We have been tracking this at Savewally Forums. Like the name change there are so many reasons that this is a bad idea but it is so important for the leadership to portray this as a no problems kind of motion. I think they have learned their lesson with the name change that if they just sell it like it is no big deal it will go. I just wonder how many people are already thinking of walking just because of this issue, without it even passing yet. How many are really sick and tired of the self serving leadership we see today.
Another big problem we are having at the Unit level is getting new WBCCI members! There are plenty of forum members who own Airstreams who are asking themselves, why would I want to belong to this club? That is the biggest reason why I am running for office in Region 1, to bring the club back to its roots and the members!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Boy I could speak volumes about this. At the NorCal rally I discussed this with several of the people there, many who were not WBCCI members. The non-members certainly did have impressions about the club. The consensus that was expressed to me is that the club is too militaristic and regimented and this does not give one a sense of comfort when camping. It is probably an impression that folks have formed based on what they have seen from things like International and in the BB and probably why they prefer forums rallies to WBCCI rallies. Compare the impressions Airstream Life magazine gives compared to the BB. Also it was expressed that the rallies are not much fun in that a bunch of people just sit around the fire and do nothing and retire early.

I have discussed this with other folks who are members and they understand the impression non-members have and are working hard within the unit level to change that. I get the impression that there are 2 types of camping which to some extent do not really agree with each other. There is the relaxed, stay up late playing Didgeridoos and fiddling and playing guitar and singing until you are told to keep it down by the camp host at which point you whisper around the campfire sharing a bottle of Patron until you (or your liver) tell you it's time to quietly go to bed. And then there is the keep it quiet, regimented and go to bed early kind. I am sure you all know what I mean. We had both at the Norcal Rally. One couple (in a Fourwinds slideout TT no less) thought that the Airstreamers were a little too loud and up too late. And they went inside their trailer at 8:30 - no kidding, and had the lights out by 9:00.

I have experienced both styles of camping and rather prefer the former. I personally do not like to be regimented or in a situation where the atmosphere is uncomfortable or where I am told that I don't participate enough to have a say. I don't like to camp with the kind of people who come out of their trailer at 9:00 and pour a pan of smelly greywater on the fire, dousing it out in a putrescent flash of steam, and hearing "see you in the morning", thereby putting a smelly and bitter end to the evening (yes this really did happen). I don't like to camp with folks who think a wine tasting is inappropriate as a camp activity because one or two campers are tea-totalers.

I prefer to camp where I feel welcome and a part of the group from the moment I arrive to the moment I leave, even if nobody really knows me. I like to camp with folks who relish a wine and cheese tasting extravaganza that practically leaves no room for dinner and the tea totalers drink what suits them and also have a good time. I like camping where the only thing that puts the fire out is running out of wood. The NorCal rally a few weeks ago (as of this writing) was a blast and was like this. And if these folks we camped with were a WBCCI unit, they would be among the most successful in the club. I have heard of other units out there that have a very progressive and fun sort of non-regimented camping style and by all reports are doing great. I can clearly see that the Four Corners unit will be a great success. Other units are destined to fade away because they just don't have a camping program. You can put on all the camping trips in the world but if it isn't fun camping, why bother?

I digress a little here but I can say that the overwhelming number of folks I have talked to anecdotally say that they think the motion a very bad idea. This issue may pass but likely not. However, if it does pass I have no doubt that Jim Franklin will get his wish. Many of the folks who oppose this issue will walk leaving what's left of the club to the dinosaurs as he suggested. It would be a sad day indeed for the WBCCI.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 05-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

So far, 100% "NO"

During our “biz” meeting at our Cherry Blossom Rally, by a show of hands it was a 100% “NO”. Also, I asked that my hands be tied as to changing our votes if the amendment changes even by “one” word. It was decided, if the amendment does change even by "one" word" "ALL" votes then will be cast as "NO". It is not up to me to try and figure out how the members of the WDCU "may" have voted on any new wording. We are also currently voting on the issue in the WDCU. As of now, we are 100% “NO” with most of the votes cast. If things continue down this path, I can see the WDCU casting over 100 votes for “NO”. Are voting will continue until June 1, 2007. Based on history, I'm sure there will be changes made to the amendment from the floor of the meeting, when that happen, we vote "NO".

Old 05-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I think it will go down in flames. The real battle it seems to me, is whether the individual units will give their reps the ability to vote on compromises or ammendments to the initial proposal. That's where the real danger is in my opinion.

Jack
At our last dinner/business meeting, our unit (West Texas) voted NO to the amendment. Our President asked for additional direction should amendments hit the floor; our second vote of the evening was on a motion to leave the membership requirements just like they are now - it passed unaminously. So the IBT motion and whatever versions of it pop up in Perry won't work for our unit.

Keep voting NO folks. This should not have even been suggested. Airstream and only Airstream.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Is Buttercup a member of the NEU????? Sure sounds like our folks talking.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #14
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Is Buttercup a member of the NEU????? Sure sounds like our folks talking.
No - we WERE members of the SNU but moved over to the WDCU and despite the fact that we are too far away from them to camp on a regular basis, we are way happier.