Old 05-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
geary , Oklahoma
hay i am new here and dont know if my 2 cents is worth anything ,plus i am new to airstreams. and i am still checking out the wbcci ,if they are like the harley club and you dont have a harley then you get kicked out and dumped on,but this is a airstream club so it should be airstreams or does thor own the club (i dont know i am still looking at it so know hate mail please)
p.s. i dont even have my airstream yet ,some time in june or july i hope ,so i would like to know before i join anything.....

Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
geary , Oklahoma
never mind i have been checking in to it more ,

i only have 1 constitution and that is not it :article 6 sec.2 par.2 &3.

i think airstreams are the best rvs on the road and that stuff is not for me (sorry)

Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #45
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
There are some financial benefits to being a regional or national officer of WBCCI. There is a mileage reimbursement, and if you buy a new unit once elected there is a discount (5% IIRC) but most do it as a matter of desire to serve the club they have been a member of for a long time, and to hopefully incorporate change for the better. I know of no officer, past or present that has ever MADE MONEY serving as an officer of the club.
I believe you are mistaken about the percentage. It is probably more like 50%. When I bought my new Airstream trailer I got a little over 17% off. If being an officer only gets you 5% off the sticker, then I'm not surprised no body new runs for office! I did better than that before I ever even joined the WBCCI.

In reality, an Airstream dealer told me that it was unbelievable how much discount Airstream, Inc. in JC told him he had to give officers in the WBCCI. He didn't elaborate with exact numbers. I'm sure that is confidential information, but I could tell he wasn't happy about it. What I have been told is that newly elected IBT members get free use of their choice of either a new Classic travel trailer of Class A motorhome. Given the choice which would you choose? Then at the end of their tenure they can purchase this unit as a USED trailer or motorhome. Well, who made it a used coach? They did. So in essence when they come into office they get a tremendous discount on a new, top of the line Airstream with a deferred payment for up to two years, maybe several years with each one getting that discount even deeper. How sweet of a deal is that. My question has always been, if one is elected, serves one or more terms as IBT member and sets out one term before being elected again, does that second time in office after the idle term make them a "newly elected" IBT member entitled to a fresh time up to bat on that free use perk? If so, they can trade in their previous deeply discounted IBT perk in on their newest deeply discounted IBT perk when they leave office again. That means they could, in theory, trade motorhomes every four years for next to nothing except serving on the IBT.

I think that is what this whole motorhome issue is about.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
The Florida unit is voting NO.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #47
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
The Florida unit is voting NO.
Hurray Guys.

Beware the last minute changes and advise your deligate to stick with the no vote!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Maybe Don Shafer and the other 'officers' should read the first line in the disclaimer box on page two of the Blue Beret which says....
"Blue Beret is the official publication of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, inc. (WBCCI), the recreational vehicle club of AIRSTREAM owners."

Questions?

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Leo, Is this the picture of the actual moho vote? If so, I only count 17 hands. Larry Huttle is definitely not voting for it. Looks like Carmichel is there in the middle, but he can not vote because he is no longer an IBT member. It was reported as unanomous?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #50

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I received my May, 2007 issue of the Blue Beret in today's mail. I read with great interest Don Shafer's President's Corner column. Don tells us that majority of the membership is in favor of the moho ammendment, but there is a very vocal minority opposing it.

I guess that I have been send way too much time on these Forums. I was under the impression that the majority of WBCCI members were opposed to the moho ammendment. I guess that I was wrong.

The way Don talks in his column, the delegates have their marching orders, and the moho ammendment is a done deal. Don also staes that the IBT knows what is best for the the club, and will act accordingly. Wow!!!!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #51
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, I have to say that after seeing Leo's picture my heart just sank. And reading that article just made my blood boil. I mean really - we have a communications liaison who is reporting back the pulse of the club after reading sources like AirForums. I heard her report at the winter meeting and she didn't say anything that was outrageous or untrue, yet I get the impression that the IBT is either not hearing what she is saying or listening and turning a blind eye towards what is really going on.

Communicator - if you are around, perhaps you can shead some light on this topic. What has the leadership been saying? What indications have you gotten from them on this topic? You have been on these forums, you know the feelings of members and potential members. Why is the Don taking this position? It was not favored 3 years ago and is visibly not favored now. What gives.
CQ, CQ - Is there any body there? (the movie Contact).
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #52
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Well, Moosetags and Buttercup I hate to see Mr. Shafer's view of the state of the WBCCI has got you worried, but his position is not the dominate position of at least some units. Our Texas Highland Lakes Unit voted a resounding 49-1 AGAINST allowing Mandalay and Four Winds products into the WBCCI according to our recording secretary. I assume that total includes the email and mail in ballots. I think we have 61 members in total. In any case, we also UNANIMOUSLY voted to tie the hands of our delegate such that he can only vote NO to any amendment that might arise which supports allowing other brands into the WBCCI. Perhaps this news and that from other units as the totals trickle in will help to lift your spirits. Moosetags give that little wife of yours a big old Texas hug from me.
GStephens
Old 05-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have been watching this thread and need to respond. I am sorry that some of you have not been able to find a unit which fits your ideal. We feel lucky that we have found one in El Camino Real. We are also associates of South Coast and now 4CU. We feel very comfortable with both ECR and SC and their rally style, very relaxed and what everyone seems to want. We have been to only one Forum rally, 29 Palms, unfortunately the weather was not cooperative. As some of you know, my wife is in a wheelchair, both ECR and SC have been very accomodating in placing our site near the action. Since I still work and my wife is in a wheelchair, we are not able to volunteer to host a rally, although we try to help as much as possible when we attend. I have volunteered for several positions, 1) VAC regional quartermaster, unfortunately either the VAC or WBCCI cannot complete the agreements with Thor for VAC merchandise, so no job, 1) VAC Treasurer, prior treasurer purchased a non vintage unit, no vintage ownership no VAC officer, but someone else volunteered first, and 3) ECR webmaster, still waiting for duties and responsibilities and waiting for WBCCI to complete the format. I don't feel that we are non-contributers, we do what we can, attend events and pay our dues.

The forum rallies are similiar to ECR and SC rallies, but I like some formalities, such as name tags, WBCCI members have real names and not screen names, I also like some structure in day time events, we would not have been to the King Tut exhibit in LA, the Malibu Getty, Death Valley Rendezvous, wineries in Santa Barbara or several other places if not for WBCCI rallies. It is very nice to be able to just write a check and show up for a planned weekend without having to do all of the research and reservation making on your own. In addition, it allows my home bound wife to see and talk to someone other than me.

The forum rallies since I joined AirForums have been in Cassini, Lake San Antonio and 29 Palms, the closed 29 Palms at about 150 miles away, the farthest Cassini at over 400 miles away. The WBCCI rallies have been Malibu, San Diego, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Desert Hot Springs, Temecula, San Dimas, Santa Barbara, Palm Desert, Buellton, San Clemente and several others, the closest only 20 miles away and the farthest 250 miles away. In addition, since WBCCI is an established club with a treasury, no one individual has to go on the financial hook for the reservations.

Some IBT officer said that the heart of the WBCCI is the units, of this I agree. Other than unit rallies, we have only attended the International in Salem last year. After that experience, I sent a multi page letter to Don Shafer and I am still waiting for an acknowledgment that he received the letter. I did see several items which I had in my letter addressed in the last Blue Beret. I also sent a multi page letter regarding the motorhome motion to him. I sent letters to the proposed IP and VP officers asking about their vision for WBCCI and their plans to stop the decline in membership and letters to the nominating committee nominees asking how they select officer candidates. I hope for a reply, but I am not holding my breath.

The Member Share Idea column is a step in the right direction, the motorhome motion is a step in the wrong direction. This is an Airstream Club.

I hope that this motorhome motion does not pass. I don't believe that the present motion will make it to a vote, it will be changed, to what I don't know. If the current motion passes, I will not attend another International, Region or Special Event Rally and I will tell the IBT and Region officers that, I will only attend unit, VAC and CAC events. This will only be as long as those events continue to be enjoyable. I will, however, join any Airstream only club which comes about because of this motion. What I will do if some other motion passes? I don't know until that motion passes.

ECR has given members until May 31 to vote on the motorhome motion.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
In addition, since WBCCI is an established club with a treasury, no one individual has to go on the financial hook for the reservations.
Nice post, Bill! I think it's great that you found some units near you that you really enjoy.

One thing I would just like to point out, though, is that units probably differ on how rally finances are handled. My experience with my (former) unit was that the rally host takes responsibility for any upfront security deposits on campgrounds, etc., not the club. The host is also responsible for collecting money from attendees and making sure they are reimbursed and there are no expenses left hanging for the club to pick up later. The unit might reimburse after the rally for allowable expenses that aren't covered by rally fees, but the rally host covers the cost of expenses upfront. Not quite as simple as it may appear.

This is one of the things that WBCCI should work on to improve. It would make the rallies even more attractive to new members who want to be active and help out as they're able.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Nice post, Bill! I think it's great that you found some units near you that you really enjoy.

One thing I would just like to point out, though, is that units probably differ on how rally finances are handled. My experience with my (former) unit was that the rally host takes responsibility for any upfront security deposits on campgrounds, etc., not the club. The host is also responsible for collecting money from attendees and making sure they are reimbursed and there are no expenses left hanging for the club to pick up later. The unit might reimburse after the rally for allowable expenses that aren't covered by rally fees, but the rally host covers the cost of expenses upfront. Not quite as simple as it may appear.

This is one of the things that WBCCI should work on to improve. It would make the rallies even more attractive to new members who want to be active and help out as they're able.

-J
A point was made at one of our annual business meetings that ECR has a cash balance to allow the unit to make the financial deposits for a rally. I don't know about other costs such as community meals, I am sure that they are handled on a reimbursement basis. The treasurer is at most rallies, so the reimbursement should be quick.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
One thing I would just like to point out, though, is that units probably differ on how rally finances are handled. My experience with my (former) unit was that the rally host takes responsibility for any upfront security deposits on campgrounds, etc., not the club.
There is one thing I would just like to point out. In your former unit, the unit does cover upfront security deposits.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote