Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
read the Blue Beret today and what a sell job. I don't know what kind of AS MH the officers drive, but my 396XL has a chassis that has been time tested in a lot of MHs and the engine(CAT) is known as almost bulletproof. Any over the road truck driver will tell you the engine should be good for over 500,000 mi. Ours is a 2004 and I expect it to last at least 10 yrs. It's kind of scary all these MHs need to be replaced. I guess you trailer people should have never let us in the first place. What self-centered officers we have.
It looks like the Metro-Detroit unit will be voting "YES" as our president is for the amendment. As a MH owner, I feel so bad for those of you that own trailers and have been so loyal to the WBCCI. I wonder how the IBT can talk about losing members in droves when it was the trailer owners who formed this club and have kept it going all these years. Where in the hell did that 20% come from? I have never see 20% MHs at any rally I've attended, but maybe I'm too new and haven't been around long enough.
Good luck in Georgia. It really has shades of the military. The generals call the shots and the rest of us go along like sheep.

bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I really like Buttercup's assessment of the situation. The MOHO issue is just cannon fodder. The real issue issue is that WBCCI is no longer a camping club. It has become something entirely different. It is now a club of stupid uniforms and hats. It is a club that no longer has anything to do with camping. If I want to go to bed at 9:00 PM, I'll stay home. When I take my Airstream out on the road, I want to have fun.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #17
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
I am really disappointed in this whole motor home thing. I recently joined WBCCI in anticipation of attending "Airstream Unique" events. If I wanted what's being proposed I would just stay involved (which I am anyway) with the group I am now camping with. I was hoping to find that same camaraderie with the AS folks, but with the unique twist of also being product specific. With regard to Mr. Shafer's editorial in recent Blue Beret; I am confident he is a good man, but this article really comes off as quite arrogant. This arrogance, in my opinion, exhibits itself vividly in comments that imply the real majority can't be heard because the rabble minority are making so much noise, and the inference that the true horizon can only be seen clearly from the presidential office.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I know the title of this thread is tongue in cheek, but I can pretty much tell you that those who oppose OTHER BRANDS in the WBCCI are not the minority. There are so many different percentages of motorhomes in the WBCCI being tossed around that there is no credibility to any of them. I have heard 11%, 20%, and 30%. All from motorhome driving club officers!

There is a personal agenda for the officers and they are trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the rest of the club by trying to convince us that this is for the club's benefit and the member's benefit but it is really only for the officer's benefit. You can bet the officers have a vested interest in this motion passing and it puts/keeps money in their pockets.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I only wish I knew where my unit stood on the motorhome amendment issue. We haven't been members long, and have only been able to attend a few rallies, as most of them begin during the week (we still work). I double-checked the last four newsletters and there's no mention of it. They were chock full of detailed information about luncheons though.

Their most recent camping endeavors were a rather expensive buddy rally held by a multi-brand dealership, in which we have little interest, and a maintenance rally held with two other units that was limited to only 30 spaces. I wouldn't imagine they would discuss or vote on such an important issue at a function with such limited attendance.

The next official camping function is a rally in mid-August, which of course is way too late for the motorhome issue. I just discovered the actual dates tonight while perusing a message board looking for information about the Region 2 rally. Apparently, we somehow didn't make the e-mail list.

Even realizing that it won't take effect until the end of the year, we had already made the decision to change our membership to the WDCU, where we have been affiliate members for about a year, and this lack of communication within our unit will make it easier. We know EXACTLY where WDCU stands on the motorhome amendment, and they are great about communicating with their members. We have attended some of their rallies, and believe them to be one of the most progressive units in WBCCI. It's all about Airstreams and camping. In the meantime, I'll explore whether it's too late to get in a NO vote to the motorhome amendment within my existing unit.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
First - I posted my comments on the WBCCI Forums in the probably incorrect assumption that that meant they had a better chance of reaching WBCCI Leadership:
WBCCI Forum - Disappointing Leadership -

I also posted scans of the Presidents Message and Amendment No. 1 from the May Blue Beret here for those that may not have received them yet:
SaveWally Forums - Disgusted by the May Blue Beret

Now to answer a quote in this message string:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
It looks like the Metro-Detroit unit will be voting "YES" as our president is for the amendment. As a MH owner, I feel so bad for those of you that own trailers and have been so loyal to the WBCCI. I wonder how the IBT can talk about losing members in droves when it was the trailer owners who formed this club and have kept it going all these years. Where in the hell did that 20% come from? I have never see 20% MHs at any rally I've attended, but maybe I'm too new and haven't been around long enough.
Good luck in Georgia. It really has shades of the military. The generals call the shots and the rest of us go along like sheep.
Buck,
I was at the Metro-Detroit Unit Shakdown Rally this past weekend (had a great time - definitely not your typical WBCCI Unit, by the way!) and the Metro-Detroit President (who pulls a trailer) admitted that he tried to drum up support for this motion in the Board Meeting, but failed. Reportedly the M-D Unit 1st VP (who owns an Airstream Class A Motorhome!) will quit WBCCI if this motion passes. M-D will vote again by mail-in ballot so that all members can voice their opinion . The President promised to vote as members instruct him . He even asked to be restricted from changing the units votes based upon any amendments that come up at the Delegate's meeting . I applaud him for this. One of you voting members of M-D needs to make the motion to restrict his vote at the Delegate's meeting (I vote thru the Michigan Unit, so I can't do it). My take from the rally is that most were opposed to the motion other than the Unit President. My Lorrie submitted an opposing viewpoint "Letter to the Editor" on the Four Winds motion that was just published in the latest M-D Newsletter. So while, the M-D President is for this motion, I do not think all is lost in the Metro-Detroit Unit. Keep talking it up and this motion can be defeated.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Keeps going round and round. I'm shocked that this hasn't had a neg impact on membership at this point, then again, from the numbers I've seen, maybe it has.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #22
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
. I'm shocked that this hasn't had a neg impact on membership at this point, then again, from the numbers I've seen, maybe it has.....
Could have a positive impact.

I'm thinking about joining just so I could VOTE AGAINST this stupid motrhome idea.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Could have a positive impact.

I'm thinking about joining just so I could VOTE AGAINST this stupid motrhome idea.
I hate to say this but this issue is my only regret in leaving the organization. I love a good fight and I wish I had been at the last unit rally where the vote was taken. I would have loved to champion the no vote since one of the local members is an International Officer with a motor home, and one who has championed this change. She was much against the Base Camp being allowed to join, but first up to the plate when she found out that the motorhome production was ending.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Has anyone been able to find out just what the financial benefits are, if any, to the officers of WBCCI? I've heard everything from free use of motorhomes to substantial discounts on motorhomes to fully paid travel reimbursement. Somewhere there has to be a record of their "freebies" if they do, indeed, exist. I personally find it hard to believe that they're fighting so hard just for the prestige.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #25
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well we have some information on that topic at Save Wally
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
How many are really sick and tired of the self serving leadership we see today.
Count me in the list of people are thinking of walking.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #27
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
We are walking as well if this passes - Sorry Paul!!! But looking at the results coming back so far - it probably will not pass.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I am new to the WBCCI and had really planned to go to my first rally (kinda) just to vote on this issue but as the weekend approached things just didn't line up. I had actually planned to go for the day just for the vote but one of my fellow unit members told me that he had been at the rally site all week and that about the only people who owned motor homes in the unit were the unit president and himself and they were pretty much looked down on by the rest of the members and he was pretty sure the measure would be defeated. He also told me that our unit voted all votes per the majority so that it was probably a waste of time for me to drive all the way up to the rally just to vote this one issue. I haven't heard how the vote turned out yet, but if he was right, our unit will vote "no".

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote