Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
May I ask here for advice?

Hello, We live in Canada and plan on taking our first winter trip this October to the Spouthern States.
One friend told us that they plan on wintering for the first time in Alabama at the Southwind RV park near Foley. A second couple are going to the Gulf State park nearby as they went there last year and are really pleased with it.
We would like to find a park to stay at until December when we would hope to store our trailer and return home to Canada for the Christmas season before we return to the trailer in February.
I have followed a suggestion and have contacted our insurance agent about coverage when we plan on storing the trailer. The agent was concerned and is double checking herself as to coverage and will call us back.
1) Would anyone be able to comment or advise us on finding a park in Alabama near the Gulf that has facilities and access to programs in the campground?
2) My wife asks if it is common to charge for hydro? I think that it is but Jan says that this is new to her.
To be honest when I called Soutwind park I was pleasantly surprised by the difference in rates comparing the $225.00 quoted at Southwind to much higher rates in Florida for example. The cost is not the issue for us though. Finding a good campground is.
This plan to go South is a bit anxiety causing for us and I know that I can easily confuse myself. Any advice or information regarding winter camping in the South; in this case in Alabama, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Brian
Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Hello, Brian,

I can't give you any specific advice about the areas you are interested in, but having spent some winters in southern RV parks I want to assure you that what you are planning is very commonly done. By the way, the park we stayed in last January-February, Tampa East RV Resort, is 80-90% filled with French speaking Canadians from Quebec, meaning that us Anglophones were in a distinct minority!

Many southern RV parks offer storage services. You will want to get local advice on "summerizing" your trailer for storage in the hot summer season--e.g. bug and rodent protection, etc.

Yes, it is common for long-term-stay RV parks to charge for electricity in addition to the site rental. Typically there is a meter at each site. As I recall it never cost us more than $20 - 30 a month.

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
This website may help a little.

Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
This one came out of the "Reviews" section above. If you want to check them all out, click on the "reviews" button, then scroll down to the "south" region. Many there on Florida, but other southern states as well. Good Hunting.

Gulf State Park - Gulf Shores, AL

just noticed this is the park where some of your friends are staying?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.. We have wintered in the South for the past 4 years... the Gulf Shore state park has a storage area for trailers.. we visited this park last winter.. very nice.. if you are interested in going further south ...this is a great city owned rv and mobile home park in Arcadia... great people and great rates.. if you happen to be a member of the Elks club there is one in Foley Alabama .. we have stayed there also.. or you could try the Top of Georgia Airstream park... $7.00 day for full hookups and cable.. near Helen Georgia... ... I think the monthly rate is $180..?? need to be WBCCI members for this park..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Hello and thank you to each of you. Your comments are very helpful and useful to us.
Regards
Brian
Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote