Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
MALs in WBCCI

I received my March, 2005, Blue Beret today, and noticed something that took me back a bit. In the Welcome to New Member Listing on page 5 there were 35 new members listed, and 17 of those had joined as MALs. That's virtually half. Will WBCCI become an organization where half the members do not get to vote?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I noticed that also. I guess we should invite them to come to our rallys and ask them to join our Units. I think alot of mal's just join, not wanting to take the first step to call up a unit to go to a rally. Since I have made this statement I better find my bb and get in touch with any Mal's in my area and invite them to our April Rally.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think that is why the drop out rate for MALs is so high, They join the club, but never connect with other members. They see the big picture of the club, but not the most important part of the club which is the unit. I scan through the list every month and find MALs located in the area of my unit and send them an email.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
MAL's are quiting because they do not feel they are getting their money's worth out of the club. They are charged at $19 more annually than if they joined the 4cu or the wdcu. They do not get to vote or the ability to express their desires for what they want the club to offer them. I think some of them join as MAL's because the units in their area are very old or dying. Maybe some of them are just not into local group gatherings. I have belonged to Good Sam for years but have never attended an Illinois chapter meeting. We need to find out why they joined as MAL's and how we need to change to meet their needs or we will be forever doomed to high fall out rate of the MAL members.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
My wife and I are mal's. We are still looking for a unit...and have attended one units' meeting, and are going to another unit meeting in a couple of weeks. We are new to camping, and love our airstream. I will speak for myself now...not my wife. I am medically retired. I am 50 years old, and my wife is younger than me. I am not sure that I like the structure of the WBCCI as it seems to be like a mini government...for a camping club!?! I want to camp...get away...not attend meetings! I also do not like feeling like I am the youngest one in a group...and that the vultures are circling...Ah...a young one....lets get him to join and put him to work....
I also am not super social. I get along with others just fine...and I don't mind pitching in when there is communal work to be done...heck, I'll even do the dirty work!!! But I don't like to lead...or plan...I do not want to get elected...I just want to camp. The WBCCI is in trouble...kinda like the government. Maybe some radical change needs to happen....I don't have the answer...just my own opinion...good or bad
runningbarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Having recently bought our Airstream, my wife and I considered joining, but because I have to work weekends, we have no opportunity for rallies. So we thought about MAL, but why bother - too expensive for value received. Perhaps in a couple of years, but right now, membership isn't for us. We are planning two one-week trips in our AS this year, and I'll be taking it out two other times for 4 days each. We'll use it and enjoy it, but that's why we haven't joined.
Regards,
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Runningbarre, I just sent you a private message.
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
They join the club, but never connect with other members.
I do not agree with those that assert that people leave clubs like the WBCCI "because they do not feel they are getting their money's worth out of the club" or because they don't get voting privilege. The data I have seen points in other directions.

With clubs, it is the common interest that brings people in and it is the connection with other members that keeps them involved. If people are interested in politics, they should join a political party, not an RV club. If people are interested in benefits and financial rewards, they should join a buyer's club (Good Sam?). If people are interested in making full use of their Airstream RV, then they should join WBCCI.

What I see in the MAL census is that the current membership of the WBCCI is not reaching out to find new Airstream owners but rather that Airstream owners are finding the WBCCI and having to figure out what it really is. That points out something that was noted here - get in touch with those MAL's in your area, invite them to join an event and help them connect with others who have joined in the common interest of using their Airstream RV as it was designed to be used.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
I want to camp...get away...not attend meetings! I also do not like feeling like I am the youngest one in a group
There are some things that are going to be hard to get around.

Any time you want the benefits of a group, even if its just you and your wife, you are going to have meetings and planning and all that - the bigger the group the more of this it takes to keep bad things from happening.

It is also true that there are not many young retirees or non retired folks that can put more than an occasional weekend into recreational activity. This is why Wally Byam offered his comment about Canadian farmers in winter and teachers in summer way back in the 50's.

There are ways to work around these facts of life. They always start with one's self and not with someone else.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
I noticed that also. I guess we should invite them to come to our rallys and ask them to join our Units. I think alot of mal's just join, not wanting to take the first step to call up a unit to go to a rally. Since I have made this statement I better find my bb and get in touch with any Mal's in my area and invite them to our April Rally.
What a great idea! Every WBCCI member should take your advise to heart and invite a MAL to a local rally. Heck, I would even pay for it for their first time with us!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You mean when someone joins WBCCI, the headquarters don't contact the units close to them to contact the new members and invite them to a rally, a meeting, or make them feel welcomed? No wonder the MALs quit after a while.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
montgomery , Alabama
Yes , Gene you are right . No body contacted me when i got on Air. Alot of this you have to do yourself and make your own choice.
Ramble Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't even meet another member of the WBCCI until we arrived at our first rally. We joined right after buying the A/S in December, but didn't make it to a rally until June.

I think you are right, we need to contact MALs in our area and invite them to events. It would also be nice to get information on new owners in our area who may (or may not) have joined yet.

Meeting folks and having fun is absolutely what we enjoy about the club. We are in our 40s and would love to welcome folks of similar age and interest.

Matt
GA Unit
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Look at the thread "Give me a straight answer"on the portal page now.
This person is looking for a unit in Ohio.Looks like no unit has reached out to them after they contacted a unit and Ohio is the home of the WBCCI.
No wounder folk do not join or quit the WBCCI.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When we joined the Forums, many welcomed us.

When we joined WBCCI as MALs, not only did no one welcome us, we were not even listed in the Blue Beret as new members. Not a big deal, we're not really interested in associating with the likes of these people.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Tami & I joined as MAL's. We are fulltimers who sold the houses & cars to travel the countryside. We've seen the country from the sest of a truck rolling down the interstate. Now we want to see it from off the side of a side road. Would it be right to join a local unit, then not go to meetings or offer any support?

We enjoy reaping the benefits of Airstream parks without dealing with old people in berets. Folks at the parks are fine. The "officialness" associated with rallies is what we don't like. We went to a small rally of 12 rigs where there was no proper dress cerimonies. Had a great time.

We're looking to settle down soon. Maybe then we'll join a local unit (if they still want us after the 1st sentence of paragraph 2). Right now Cleveland,TN is our home. The employment opportunities will decide if we stay or move on.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In about 6 years on this forum, I wish I had a buck for each WBCCI thread. I could buy another new Airstream.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I think Ricky and Tami are typical of the group we need in the club. Sales of new A/S trailers has shifted to folks who want to travel. If you think about the whole idea of a caravan, folks from different parts of the country get together to travel. That's exactly why our unit has seen steady business for the Top Of GA, though membership is down a little.

Leo is on the mark. The folks in Jackson Center should give your information to the nearest unit. The units need to make contact and get you involved. There is bound to be someone in the unit with similar interests who can help you get acquainted with the club and its "customs".

I also think the club needs to focus on those who travel. Our A/S park has attracted several new members and MALs. During rallies, we often pick up a few new volunteers who aren't (or weren't) previously members of the unit. Courtesy Parking is also a great way to meet members of the club. When you get to know most of the "old folks in berets", you find they are fascinating people. The more members you meet, the more you find to do at rallies...including State, Region, and International Rallies!

Matt
GA Unit
Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm curious about some of the things that show up on the gazillion WBCCI threads. Since they are only mentioned in passing, it might be good to clear up some of this stuff for those of us who don't understand these things.

Some posts make it sound like the WBCCI is like a secret society such as the Masons, but does it without the secrecy. I think these threads have fostered a lot of myths or truths about the WBCCI. There may be a lot of false impressions.

In the interest of promoting clarity,

If a member, do you have to wear a beret or own one? In the '50's, berets were associated with the Beat Generation, poets, jazz, "reefers", and Frenchmen. Did Wally have a connection with any of those things?

I've seen something about vests. Do people have to wear them? Is there a dress code?

I understand there's something about flags on trailers. What's that about?

There's a lot of talk about units with ceremonies and units that are informal. What are these ceremonies?

The International sounds like the most formal of all rallies. Is that true?

What happens if you break a rule?

So, what is a WBCCI rally like?—I know it's an opportunity to make friends and talk Airstream—but sometimes it sounds like there's a bunch of guys in vests and berets making sure you've followed a few thousand rules. The officers in their flagged trailers probably get the best spaces. There will be very formal ceremonies with tuxedos and maybe the ladies will wear evening gowns and maybe there's the Wally Worship hour. Since everyone is ancient, an ambulance with a full crew of EMT's will be standing by. Everyone must be asleep by 8:30 and up at 4:30 am. Afternoon naps will be enforced. Any opposition will result in expulsion.

You may think I'm being silly, but I really don't know what's going on and I'm trying to illustrate a point. Some people make the WBCCI sound awful and others think it's great. Maybe there'll never be agreement but it'd be easier to to make some sense out of all these threads if I understood some sort of objective reality.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Myths?

Each Unit has its own level of formality. Some are VERY informal, some are more "traditional". Usually it depends on the preference of the Unit members.

Beret -
Our unit makes certain the officers and spouses have a BB for the installation ceremony. Otherwise, the only time I see them is at the International in July. Even then, they are only "required" for those on stage. There is already plenty of information posted by PeeWee on
Blue Berets, symbolism representing the spirit of Wally Byam

Vests - I haven't seen them in our unit.

Dress Code - Not normally. Our unit does have a dress code for the Installation Ceremony, but only for the officers and their significant other. The International includes an Installation Ceremony and Dance. The officers DO have a dress code for that night.

The International is a informal as you make it. We spend most of the time in shorts and tee shirts, sitting outside, talking with friends and eating good food. There are dinners you can attend. The attire for those is usually consistent with the location. The scheduled events for at the International are more formal than I would prefer, but I'm younger (48) than most folks there.

Breaking Rules?
There are customs, rules, and ethics. I'll leave that to others to discuss on the International level. In our unit, there are sometimes differences of opinion. Those are generally addressed on an individual level.

Rallies?
They differ greatly. Look at the posts and pictures from folks who attend them. The bottom line - folks in each unit decide how they want to get together with friends. I will also say that the active members are generally "young for their age". They are active, interested, and involved.

Most of the issues you see discussed with great emotion are related only to a few folks who "manage" the club. As with any large organization, this one has a significant budget, assets, and employees. When you attend rallies or go on caravans - you won't see many of these disagreements.

Hope this helps.

Matt