Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #41
Tom From Lake McQueeney

1960 22' Safari
McQueeney , Texas
I bought my Airstream last August and was clueless....I just knew I loved my "new" 1960 Land Yacht. After several days of exploring and realizing there were many things I couldn't figure out about my new baby, I eventually stumbled across this site. I finally got up enough courage to post and tell the world about my acqusition. I was contacted by a WBCCI member who was kind enough to recommend that I attend the Texas Vintage Rally scheduled for January in San Antonio. This gentleman also called me to answer some questions I had. He was very patient, cordial and knowledgeable. I decided to join the WBCCI and his unit. Shortly thereafter I received a call from another gentleman who said that he was asked to be my mentor and he wanted to help me any way he could. My wife and I ended up taking our trailer to his home and spent the better part of a day with him and his wife. He helped me go through my trailer and had some great information and advice for me. (He also changed one of my tires for me!)....it was an enjoyable day spent with very very nice people. In January my wife and I attended our first Rally. We had a great time, learned a lot, and made some new friends....bottom line- I am glad I joined the WBCCI and the Texas Highland Lakes Unit...I am enjoying my Airstream experience thus far, and a large part of that comes from my experiences with my new WBCCI friends. Take care, Tom, proud owner of a 1960 Airstream
1960 ASTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #42
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
hi we are mal's and are having a hard time getting info re nearby units. when we joined wbcci we were invited by a group that was old and knew each other for yrs. it was not for us so we became mals. hate to drop out of wbcci as we like to camp, eat,talk and have fun. also we are 68 years young. i would hardly call us fogeys.
we also have been to perry and to 2 other activities. we liked the people we met. the only downside is they are from distant units.
that is why we have remained mals. what do you suggest we do?
thank you pat
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #43

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join up with the Washington, DC Unit or the Four Corners Unit in Arizona. These units hve a number of long distance members. You will save on dues, have a vote, and attend any WBCCI function anywhere. We live in Florida and belong to the Four corners Unit.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960 ASTR View Post
In January my wife and I attended our first Rally.
Man, we gotta get the heck out of Ohio...

No plans for a rally here until into April.

Just kidding...we love it here and love to travel. Just kinda makes us long for other places when people from TX, CA, FL talk about camping in Dec and Jan.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
We joined a unit that is "older" and everyone there knew each other. It has taken a little time to get to know them, but it has been worth it. We have also had several new (younger) members join in that time. We are enjoying the experience.

We aren't very close to Brentwood, TN or Ohio, but the GA Unit does have an Airstream Park in Northeast GA. We are open all year long. Though the rally season doesn't start until April, you will always find folks at the park. For $7/ night, it is hard to find a better deal. You do have to be WBCCI, but you don't have to be a unit member.

We also camp in GA State Parks year round! We camp every month and were out 2x in January. Don't let winter stop you. As for summer...we head north then. Yes we are still working, but vacation and weekends still work.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
The problem is newbies do not know how to join a unit and when you call OHio they say join at large.
any unit would be best. There is no place to ask questions at the main office, as the lady says nothing.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
The problem is newbies do not know how to join a unit and when you call OHio they say join at large.
any unit would be best. There is no place to ask questions at the main office, as the lady says nothing.
Gail,

You are so right about the lack of information from WBCCI on how or why to join a unit. We had the same problem in 2002 and joined as MALs, but in 2002 there was much less information available on the WWW. We joined as MALs and also joined the VAC at the same time, our first rally was the VAC rally in Santa Maria in October, 2002. There were many El Camino Real members there and they convinced us to join that unit, we have not looked back since.

You have an advantage which we did not have, specifically this site and the SaveWally site, both of which can direct you to many units in the area.

We will be at the Mailbu RV park the first weekend in May with the Central Coast Unit. Drop by and say "Hi".

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #48
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
hi moosetags,65gt,mbstsreamer and wkerfoot thank you for all your input. i will certainly look up the units. so glad we don't need to be local. my husband grew up in colo. so not a bad match.
once again thank you for the info.
pat
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote