Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	76266
I was dwelling on the beret thing. I do not really ever see any members of my Unit wearing berets. So I went back through my pictures looking. I did find this one of Don and Amanda. They are wearing berets. Both of em are wearing berets. That guy with the beer belly, thats me. I have lost twenty pounds since the photo, most of that belly is gone now. I do look like a beat nick or a hippie though. Guess there are worst things I could look like.

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	76267
And then I found this one. It is the swearing in of new officers. No secret rituals going on, just some folks saying they will serve the Unit and do the jobs they agreed to do. Kind of nice setting. Sunset, in front of the campfire, what more could you ask for? The ladies wearing the berets... well, they can pull it off. Me I look like a geek in one.

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	76265
Oh the flags. We do fly us a mess of flags in our Unit. Some are even official Club flags.

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	76271
But most often there are more that are not official.

Name:   IMG_3156.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:   IMG_3157.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  41.9 KB
We all enjoy getting together to talk about all aspects of life. The conversation can run the gammit, but usually ends up on Airstream. If you so much as mention you have something needing attention someone will go fetch their tools.

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	76274
All and all it is a terribly boring club full of old folks that want to follow rules and step to the beat of a drum....

Name:	IMG_2926.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	76264
And I love every one of them like family. Joining the WBCCI and WDCU was the greatest thing I ever did for myself and my family.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #30
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Sometimes it helps to see the faces of those you are talking about...

Name:   IMG_3151.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:   IMG_2767.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:   IMG_3306.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:   IMG_2895.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:   IMG_3163.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:   IMG_2896.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:   IMG_2920.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:   IMG_3170.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:   IMG_3313.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  40.7 KB
That last one is my family. Oh, and all those people you saw, they are all in the club. Want more?

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #31
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
As long as we are showing pictures,
These are a few from the last 4CU Rally - DH3 "The Luau"
First, about the hats...

Some of the games we play (stuff the Airstream)...

A great food (Spam) contest

Famous people (not Milo!)

Terrific camp fires

Best of all, our 4CU Family!

Sounds like the WDCU and the 4CU have a lot in commom; friends and fun!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Nice pictures. OK I have decided I am summering at WDCU and wintering at 4CU!!!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
All - in - all, a pretty stodgy group.

Looks like fun to me!

That's my point.

Matt
Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #34
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
thanks for the invite mikethefixit, we plan to attend both a forum rally and a wbcci rally as well, we are uncertain that wbcci will meet our needs at this time most of the meetings listed in our bb meet for lunch during the week when I have to work, so perhaps they do not really want younger members, just a thought!! julie
Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Whew, am I in trouble...you guys are mentioning that you're 48, 50, etc and being younger than most...I guess my wife and I at 31 are really screwed, then . However, thus far our complaints are along the same lines. We started the "Give me a straight answer" thread a few days ago that was referenced on page 1 of this thread. Many good replies there. I will update all as to what our "plan" is regarding the WBCCI.

1. We've used savewally.org extensively. Sadly, savewally has better track of chapter activities than the unit websites themselves. Maybe this says something about the needs of at least one unit local to us. Another unit doesn't even have a website which again says something about that unit and our level of interest in it.
  2. As a result of savewally, we've itentified luncheons and events that we can fit in our calendar for three local units. We've got an eating event with each of three and two rallies planned before the end of April. From these we will confirm or refute our assumptions to-date about local WBCCI units.
  3. One of the local units finally opened up and invited us to attend a meeting and a rally in order to evaluate them before joining. I have since talked via phone with their membership coordinator and I am somewhat re-assured that their unit is a worthy venture.
Message here is: look before you bitch. Yeah, my wife and I are skeptical due to past fuddy-duddy group experiences so we asked some questions. As with any debate topic, those with strong opinions on both sides of the fence responded. We will evaluate and then bitch if necessary.

The micro-discussion here about customs, rule, attire, etc. will quicky have me looking for the exit and not coming back if I experience it at a meeting or rally. I wear what's comfortable for me whenever, whereever. I have the attitude in life and in work that what I do, contribute, and accomplish is what's important. Whether I've shaved in the last 5 days, have a shirt with a collar on it, or something other than jeans and boots on shouldn't matter. You can wear whatever you want to the meetings and rallies, and so can I. But don't tell me what I MUST wear.

I'm happy to see some of the pictures in the more recent posts. I'd like to hang out with these people. This is much of what drew me to the BMW motorcycle group. I went to a few of their rallies and everyone camps, your bike isn't shiny because you just rode 500 miles or more to get there, you haven't shaved since you left home, and your beer is warm (no cooler) and you're drinking it out of the same carabiner cup that you had coffee in this morning. LOOOOOVE IT. I want to get to an AS rally, park the camper, level it, put out the awnings, start the fire pit, bust open the wine and beer, grab the pretzels, relax in my chair, and watch my kids run around like idiots in the yard; hopefully with other peoples' kids or grandkids.

It seems like it's Ohio people that are complaining a lot. Perhaps it's time we band together and join one of the WBCCI units in Ohio and see what a difference we can't make.

Finally, I'd like to say that I have nothing against the older crowd. I can't wait to hang out with mikethefixit and loudruff (April, I hope!). Some of the people I enjoyed spending time with the most were my grandpa (now passed) and my now-retired bikin' buddy Tom who winters in AZ with is custom camper (not an AS, unfortunately!). I'm hoping when he sees our '74 that he will get hooked. I really wouldn't mind being the only 31 year olds at rallies; older folks please bring your grandkids...if my kids are constantly running to mom & dad for attention then we're never going to get to socialize with anyone else and the kids are never going to get socialized to other kids, either!

I think it says a lot for the older folks when they are on here posting. My mom is 63 and can barely check her email and the weather online let alone get on a forum and post. The days when a "meeting" is required to conduct business is on it's way out. To be honest, it should be prefectly possible to hold meetings via IM / Yahoo and have rallies be the only time that people see each other in person. Then again, there's something to be said for getting together in person for some food just to shoot the sh!t whether the camper is in tow or not.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1970 25' Tradewind
1989 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
cromwell , Kentucky
Atobols Hello

HI,
I have owned an airstream for the last several of years. I am not a member of the wbcci but have thought about becomming a MAL.I like to camp and so do my grandkids. I am also very young(42) and have too many years left too work.I bought my first airstream from a guy in Cambridge Ohio. I contacted the ohio unit two years ago with no success. I want to live the airstream dream.I want to travel the world. we now camp about 30 miles from our home at Gregory Lake in Drakesboro Kentucky.we have now bought our second trailer a 25 foot 1970 tradewind. My Grandbaby told me today he was looking foward to riding the Yamaha Rhino, and cooking smores on the campfire.I am loking for people like myself who enjoy relaxing.if time and money were no object, I would travel to capetown and beyond. Don
Old 03-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boyd View Post
I contacted the ohio unit two years ago with no success. I want to live the airstream dream...My Grandbaby told me today he was looking foward to riding the Yamaha Rhino, and cooking smores on the campfire.I am loking for people like myself who enjoy relaxing.
Sounds like another vote for a new unit and/or an airforum unit. I would LOVE to hang out with you and your grandbaby. Given that you're 42 and have a grandbaby, you should haul your own kids along, too. I am guessing we'd all get along quite well.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We joined as MAL because we didn't know much about our local unit. Very soon after joining we were contacted by several members of the local unit, sending us information, copies of past newsletters, and an invitation to check them out. I called a couple of them and they were very receptive to "try before you buy." We attended our first luncheon and joined at that meeting. This all happened over the winter so have not yet been to any rallies.

Our unit members have been very warm and welcoming, but here's our only issue: The majority or our members appear to be in their 60's and 70's. We are in our 40's. Our state rally, scheduled for April, carries the theme, "Senior Olympics." Surely Airstreaming attracts younger folks, so is it just the club that is heavy on the older crowd? How do we let younger folks know that being in a unit is doable even though you are younger and employed full time?
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #39
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Our local AS dealer automaticaly pays for the first year membership in WBCCI in the local chapter when anyone buys a new AS.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Surely Airstreaming attracts younger folks, so is it just the club that is heavy on the older crowd? How do we let younger folks know that being in a unit is doable even though you are younger and employed full time?
Not that I'm planning a takeover of the WBCCI, but I'd sure like to change it's direction a bit. There has to be a "younger" person in each WBCCI unit that is the membership coordinator. This person need to find the AS buyer that are buying new and used. I think that regardless of age, someone who buys an airstream (vintage or otherwise) does it for a reason. If you don't WANT and airstream, then you aren't going to spend the money on one. Period. So, the purchase of the AS already constitutes intent to want to be in the group. The WBCCI chapters just need to foster & grow that. We'll see how things go in the first few meetings/rallies that I go to. Maybe I stick to AIR rallies & the forums. Maybe the WBCCI is the way to go. Grouping is still popular, but not so much for the reasons that it was 30 years ago. Now, all of us gathering and typing at the forums is no different that one big WBCCI unit. 30 years ago this wasn't possible. Now it is. Times they are a changin'.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #41
Tom From Lake McQueeney

1960 22' Safari
McQueeney , Texas
I bought my Airstream last August and was clueless....I just knew I loved my "new" 1960 Land Yacht. After several days of exploring and realizing there were many things I couldn't figure out about my new baby, I eventually stumbled across this site. I finally got up enough courage to post and tell the world about my acqusition. I was contacted by a WBCCI member who was kind enough to recommend that I attend the Texas Vintage Rally scheduled for January in San Antonio. This gentleman also called me to answer some questions I had. He was very patient, cordial and knowledgeable. I decided to join the WBCCI and his unit. Shortly thereafter I received a call from another gentleman who said that he was asked to be my mentor and he wanted to help me any way he could. My wife and I ended up taking our trailer to his home and spent the better part of a day with him and his wife. He helped me go through my trailer and had some great information and advice for me. (He also changed one of my tires for me!)....it was an enjoyable day spent with very very nice people. In January my wife and I attended our first Rally. We had a great time, learned a lot, and made some new friends....bottom line- I am glad I joined the WBCCI and the Texas Highland Lakes Unit...I am enjoying my Airstream experience thus far, and a large part of that comes from my experiences with my new WBCCI friends. Take care, Tom, proud owner of a 1960 Airstream
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #42
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
hi we are mal's and are having a hard time getting info re nearby units. when we joined wbcci we were invited by a group that was old and knew each other for yrs. it was not for us so we became mals. hate to drop out of wbcci as we like to camp, eat,talk and have fun. also we are 68 years young. i would hardly call us fogeys.
we also have been to perry and to 2 other activities. we liked the people we met. the only downside is they are from distant units.
that is why we have remained mals. what do you suggest we do?
thank you pat