Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Only those who choose not to rejoin can tell us why they left. I suspect the younger members want to get out with their RV's and get back to nature. They enjoy going to the State Parks with their families. Most do not want to sit around and just play card games all the time. I, personally, enjoy the rustic camp sites instead of the paved rv site.

But this is where the balancing act begins. There are still many older members who are still active in the units and have a difficult time walking on uneven ground and taking a change on falling a breaking limbs. I getting there myself. Rally sites have to be carefully selected.

Some members will not go anywhere unless they have full hookups. To me, some of the best campings sites do not have full hookups.

This summer we covered 13 States in 12000 miles. During the trip we met 10 AS owners and only 2 were members of WBCCI. The rest said they had no interest in joing. They wanted to be free to do what ever they wanted to do.

To retain the younger generation changes will need to be made or they will move on. Plan a couple of rallies to a local State Park. If its dry docking, so what. This will still leave enough trips to accomodate us older folks but give the others a chance to enjoy their AS as it was intended to be used.

This is not a "bitch" and in no way directed at anyone. It's just some things that I have noticed in the short time that I have been a member.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I just sent a letter to the 4CU that I would not be renewing my WBCCI membership. Had nothing to do with the unit as we never participated due to scheduling conflicts. We spent 30 nights in our AS so far this year and a lot of them were with our friends with SOB's. The two couples we know that own an AS also passed on re-upping.

There is a disconnect with the WBCCI leadership and the newer AS owners. I just got the 11/07 BLUE BERET and was anxious to read about the Safari Sport featured on the cover. Worthless copy! However, on page 24 is the anual bulk mailing permit application that says a lot. Line 6 indicates that over the course of a year that there were 35 net new member mailings for the year! We know individual dealers that sold more Airstreams than that in a year.

AirStream Life and this forum are all I really need to exchange ideas on how to make my AS better and good places to go.

WBCCI....RIP

Old 11-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
Most do not want to sit around and just play card games all the time. I, personally, enjoy the rustic camp sites instead of the paved rv site.
I guess we are just lucky. I didn't even know after attending a bunch of NEU rallies that many units of the WBCCI prefer to play cards at night and then go to bed early. In NEU country it's all about campfires, songs, kids, pets and Airstreams.

Oh, I like to camp both ways (sounds wrong, doesn't it?). Sometimes rustic, other times full, 5 way hookups. It depends on what we want out of the weekend or vacation. Sometimes we want to kick back and other times we want to be tourists with our own first class accomodations. w)

Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
I just sent a letter to the 4CU that I would not be renewing my WBCCI membership. Had nothing to do with the unit as we never participated due to scheduling conflicts. We spent 30 nights in our AS so far this year and a lot of them were with our friends with SOB's. The two couples we know that own an AS also passed on re-upping.

There is a disconnect with the WBCCI leadership and the newer AS owners.

WBCCI....RIP
While I certainly understand the reality of scheduling conflicts, I'll say that you missed a good bet and a really good time by never rallying with the 4CU. We have no interest in joining a stuffy WBCCI unit, but we can't wait until the next time we can spend time with 4CU members. R&D
Old 11-10-2007, 12:51 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
While I certainly understand the reality of scheduling conflicts, I'll say that you missed a good bet and a really good time by never rallying with the 4CU. We have no interest in joining a stuffy WBCCI unit, but we can't wait until the next time we can spend time with 4CU members. R&D
I wish everyone could have the same experience my husband and I have had as WBCCI members. We joined in 2003 and went to our first rally in 2004 with low expectations. Found out we joined (by chance) a progressive, fun loving unit and we have never looked back. We are totally involved in our local club, it's all about diversity and having fun! I wish the powers that be in the WBCCI would stop thinking the NEU is filled with mavericks or renegades. We are just regular folks who enjoy traveling and camping together AND our unit is a huge supporter of continuing / saving the WBCCI.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #118
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
I wish everyone could have the same experience my husband and I have had as WBCCI members. We joined in 2003 and went to our first rally in 2004 with low expectations. Found out we joined (by chance) a progressive, fun loving unit and we have never looked back. We are totally involved in our local club, it's all about diversity and having fun! I wish the powers that be in the WBCCI would stop thinking the NEU is filled with mavericks or renegades. We are just regular folks who enjoy traveling and camping together AND our unit is a huge supporter of continuing / saving the WBCCI.
We had a similar experience when we joined the NEU. When I joined though, our unit had dwindling numbers and Pam looked into starting another Region 1 unit. Instead, we all rallied together to save the NEU and grow the unit to what it is today.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
Old 11-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #119
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
You are right on!!! Our sentiments exactly.
Rich & Sheila G
Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
It's about the people.....

Sometimes we get lucky......Lynn and I got our Airstream to attend Street Rod event camp outs. Found that there were gatherings for old trailers. Went to a Nor-Cal unit rally and joined that weekend. We then found ourselves spending lots of time in Southern California, and got hooked up with the San Bernardino unit, now called El Camino Real. Both great units. Old trailers and new. Some rallys are dry camp in the desert, others at high end RV facilities, but all are lots of fun to attend. We spend 150 to 200 nights a year in our Caravel, some at WBCCI rallys and some out exploring on our own, maybe with other Airstreamers or friends with other types of RVs, or just the two of us.

It's about the fun and people folks.....

We disagree with some of the things that come down from WBCCI, but that does not keep us from enjoying our friends and the fun events we attend.

Don't let it stop you.....Get/stay involved and have a good time. If you don't have a good time, it's on you, no one else....

Jim
Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
Sometimes we get lucky......Lynn and I got our Airstream to attend Street Rod event camp outs. Found that there were gatherings for old trailers. Went to a Nor-Cal unit rally and joined that weekend. We then found ourselves spending lots of time in Southern California, and got hooked up with the San Bernardino unit, now called El Camino Real. Both great units. Old trailers and new. Some rallys are dry camp in the desert, others at high end RV facilities, but all are lots of fun to attend. We spend 150 to 200 nights a year in our Caravel, some at WBCCI rallys and some out exploring on our own, maybe with other Airstreamers or friends with other types of RVs, or just the two of us.

It's about the fun and people folks.....

We disagree with some of the things that come down from WBCCI, but that does not keep us from enjoying our friends and the fun events we attend.

Don't let it stop you.....Get/stay involved and have a good time. If you don't have a good time, it's on you, no one else....

Jim
Jim,

You got that right, Beth and I are glad that we discovered El Camino Real at the 2002 Santa Maria Rally and met you, Lynn and many other which we now call our friends.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 11-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
I have been a member of the Denver, CO. unit for 4 years and have met some wonderful people,traveled on some great caravans, enjoyd some great cookouts including some wonderful Pot Lucks and have learned alot about our AS because so many people were willing to help. Sure there is good and not so good in every organization, our unit has alot more good. I have noticed that there is a higherarchy differance between members and some national officers, suspect this will change with time.This is my first time on this forum so I hope I am in line with my comments
Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You nailed it Allen ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 11-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1
>
There just seems to be more of a younger (30-50) crowd of folks doing most of the buying now days...like over 20% of them have never had an RV before...

...but I can say I have seen a tremendous change on where my customer base is coming from...

As Patrick said, there is a WBCCI brochure in every new owners packet that goes out of here and any Airstream Dealer.

...but to be honest, not many of them seem to interested...

Really, most of them have been on Forums site and have shown more interest in the Forums Rallies of late...

just my 2 cents FWIW

G

WBCCI #1471
IMO: Airhog1 hit the nail on the head, ouch! Demographic's change, ALL successful business and organization leaders know this and adapt/evolve, that's why they are successful!!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:52 AM   #125
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
You're right....

Thanks for the input Allen. We've been members since 1995 and were very much amoung the younger set. We loved the reception we got and all the help and advice in both traveling and maintenance issues. The bad bothered us, but figured it would change over time and we loved the good parts. Change has been tremendous in our Unit and it is enjoyable in the extreme right now.

There's good and bad, definitely, but you're a man after my own heart with a 'glass half full' and not empty.

Love your attitude.

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks Sheri, Your one of the great people I'm talking about. You and Rob are very helpful to all