Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 PM   #99
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I joined the WBCCI right after getting my first Airstream almost 6years ago.
We were excited about it, and went to our first rally here at Top of Georgia soon after. I am not going to repeat the reason why again in this post, but soon after the rally I quit the club. I have never heard from anyone in our local club asking why or what happened.
Soon after we had our first Aluminitus Rally ( before the Forums actually existed when there were only 12 or so of us online together.
We have now had more than 10, each bigger than the last and more fun. Our local Wally club is just not interesting to me (or many others) and a replacement would be welcomed. OR a new spirit in the WBCCI here that would attract new members and try to keep them by making the club interesting to as many as possible. Our local Rally has had attendees with no trailer or who had an s.o.b. and who later wanted to join the aluminum crowd after seeing what was available and how the folks were to be around.
I enjoyed Perry on my visit there, especially the VAC area, and wish I could join a group of folks like that.
But there is none here, so I will continue to promote our own Georgia and surrounding area group get togethers twice a year, or more if the crowd demands it.
If it turns into some new "club" that will be fine too.
I remember the story you told me about your great experience, I would quit also if that happened to me and or my kids.

I think what has been stated here is some old, grouchy, unhappy with his existance on this planet, power hungry idiot scared off several members.

Perhaps if approached like that they need their authority questioned and take a stand in opposition.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Don,

Quote:
Nuvi

I was parked in space #1 of the tera-port by a man in a blk&wht Cooper at 6pm.
At midnight 3 motorhomes pulled in next too me.
At 2 AM they came too my door and demanded that I get off there property.
Me, Nana & Smith&Wesson told them were too go.
At 7 Am I went too check-in desk and was told that I was on Airstream Property. As I was there for service and homecomming it was free.
I ask who owned the Cooper and found it was Dickey (CEO of Airstream)
I then went too the motorhomes and the had signs in ther windows that said "President of WBCCI, Vice President WBCCI & Tresurior of WBCCI.
Thanks for the clarification. I think you would agree this was a rather unusual circumstance. What we appear to have here is a case of an individual with a little authority deciding to exercise a lot more than he actually had--on private (Airstream, Inc.) property at a non-WBCCI rally.

Good for you! I'm glad whoever decided to overstep the bounds of their authority saw the persuasive logic of Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson!

Unfortunately the phenomenon of WBCCI officers being a wee bit too officious is not unheard of. . . resulting in great damage to WBCCI's reputation.

Best regards,
Nuvi

Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #101
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
If I'm reading the players correctly, specifically those duking the WBCCI, I can't imagine any one of you being forced out of anything against your will. If we had all this "fire" still active in the club, it wouldn't be long before the pretencious czars you speak of would be history. So, come on back and put the gloves on inside the ring.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #102
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT

Now, if you don't have a wide variety of units to try - hey -- you're probably not in a highly populated part of North America. So sorry -- one unit doesn't cut it for you -- maybe the club isn't for you. To the rest -- IF you believe you would like to belong to the club sign up and start unit hopping. You'll find what you're looking for -- it shouldn't be so hard. You just need to ignore some of the deliverance type comments pasted here and see for yourself.
Leo,

I have to say I agree with everything in your post, Except the quote above.

And that is only because you left out one VERY important option..

If no unit suits you, and you can find 9 or is it 14 other members of WBCCI (they can all be MAL)? You can request to charter a unit that is made the way you want it. This starts a unit with a clean sheet of paper. No old traditions no old ideas, but endless possibilities. You would fall under the WBCCI umbrella, but as was stated before all membership issues are local.

It will take time, effort and doing a bit of sucking up to a region officer to make it happen, but if they understand that the choice is a new unit, or lose existing members and prospective new members they will help to get it done.

So for those of you that don't want to join and try to implement change, here is your opportunity to get EXACTLY what you want at the unit level.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
is that so? Well maybe we will consider starting a new North GA Unit.( ?)
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
Being from the "weather challenged" MN unit, I feel pretty lucky if we get 4 or 5 planned events a season for our unit. Once you add in the Regional , International and any neighboring events it makes for a pretty good camping season (mid-March to mid-October, maybe).
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
Old 07-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #105
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
If no unit suits you, and you can find 9 or is it 14 other members of WBCCI (they can all be MAL)? You can request to charter a unit that is made the way you want it. This starts a unit with a clean sheet of paper. No old traditions no old ideas, but endless possibilities. You would fall under the WBCCI umbrella, but as was stated before all membership issues are local.

It will take time, effort and doing a bit of sucking up to a region officer to make it happen, but if they understand that the choice is a new unit, or lose existing members and prospective new members they will help to get it done.

So for those of you that don't want to join and try to implement change, here is your opportunity to get EXACTLY what you want at the unit level.
All that is possible, I think its 10 to start a unit.

How do you find those people?

Old 07-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #106
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
How do you find those people?
It may be 10, I have an old BB.

I had a plan, but then my life changed and I had to shelve the plan.

But I will lay it out here in the hopes that someone will take it and run with it(maybe more than one group will do this!)

Use the forum to recruit members. reach out to existing members that are dissatisfied, or folks that are on the fence and have either dropped out or are looking for that perfect fit. People that are not yet members will have to join as at least MAL to be on the charter.

Once you have reached the "Critical Mass", 10/15 is good more is better, you can either approach HQ or your region president to request a provisional charter. There are hoops to jump thru, but it can be done.

Heart of TX and The 4CU are perfect examples. Think Local, not Regional, not National. I know there are members that belong to WDCU that live nowhere near the unit. To form the unit you will need to have meetings, and they are easier to do in person. Once you are a Unit, then you can think regionally or nationally.

I believe that once someone steps up and is willing to take on the task of forming a unit there will be enough members to get a charter.

I have included the sections of the BB that pertain to this. The sections may have changed slighly as I have an old copy..

Bylaws and policies section 4 para. C
Members wishing to organize a new Unit should request assistance from the Region President or from Headquarters. Such request received at Headquarters will be referred to the Region President who shall, upon determining there is a need for a new Unit within the Region, notify Headquarters and Headquarters shall forward the necessary instructions and materials to the members wishing to form the new Unit. Upon receipt of a Provis­ional Charter from the President of the Region, the Provisional Unit may collect Unit and International dues in the same manner as chartered Units pending the issuance of a Unit Charter by the International Board of Trustees. (1/19/96)

When the Provisional Unit has fulfilled the requirements as set forth in Article XI of the International Constitution (sufficient members and appointed officers), an application for a Unit Charter shall be made in writing to the International Board of Trustees through the President of the Region. (1/19/96)

WBCCI Constitution Section XI
Sec. 1 The International Club may charter Units as shall, from time to time, be deemed in the best interest of the Club. It shall organize such Units into Regions and shall fix and determine the geographic boundaries thereof. Said Units and Regions shall be bound by the Articles of Incorporation, Constitution and Bylaws, rules and policy of the International Club as then in existence and as thereafter amended.

Sec. 2 Applications for Unit Charters shall be made in writing to the Board of Trustees through the President of the Region in whose geographic area the proposed unit seeks to organize. The Region President may, upon being satisfied that the proposed Unit has complied with the minimum qualifications, as fixed by said Board, issue to such proposed Unit a provisional charter. Any such charter so issued shall terminate on the Fourth of July next following the date of its issuance unless sooner terminated by action of said Board in granting or denying such application. A Provisional Unit may elect officers, collect Unit and International dues and engage in usual Unit activities, but until issued a permanent Unit Charter shall not be entitled to vote or otherwise participate in the Annual Delegates Meeting.

Sec. 3 The minimum number of members necessary to obtain or retain a charter, shall be fifteen (15). All rules, regulations and qualifications for a Unit Charter shall be fixed and determined by the Board of Trustees,and upon granting a Unit Charter, assign such Unit a name. All Units shall hold not less than two (2) assembled rallies each year at which members attend with their recreational vehicles manufactured by Airstream, Inc. (6/30/95)

Sec. 4 The Board of Trustees may suspend or revoke the Charter of any Unit for failure to abide by the Constitution, Bylaws or Policy of the International Club. Before any Unit Charter may be suspended, or revoked, the Board of Trustees shall notify the officers of such Unit, in writing of the violation on which the contemplated action is based. It shall provide an opportunity for a hearing including the opportunity to show willingness to cure and correct circumstances surrounding the alleged violation. (6/21/86)\
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Starting a new unit

Quote:
I have included the sections of the BB that pertain to this. The sections may have changed slighly as I have an old copy..
For what it's worth, the WBCCI constitution and Blue Book are now available on the WBCCI web site WBCCI.org under the tab "General Information". So far as I know they are up to date.

Good luck to anyone wanting to start a new unit. I do believe that this is probably more likely to achieve the desired result than changing an existing unit.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I agree with that, if I can get our 30-40+ unit Rally members interested we might just do that.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #109
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I agree with that, if I can get our 30-40+ unit Rally members interested we might just do that.
Keep me in the loop. I will help all I can.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #110
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Smile WBCCI+Airstream+You="TO HAVE FUN"

Why was the WBCCI established?

Three very simple words, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

Airstream like any other manufacturing company was created to make a product. For the owner and entrepreneur, Wally Byam to fulfill his goals in life and to make a living.

The first Caravan in 1951 was conceived to assist Airstream owners, and others (the first few Caravans were open to all manufactured RV’s), to travel as an American Community. Airstream’s reward was publicity to sell Airstreams.

The Club was a natural occurrence. This American Community of Airstream owners wanted to get together on a local basis and chew the fat, remember the good times, and take their Airstreams out on a more frequent basis, but for a shorter period of time. The Club Members wanted the club to be exclusive for Airstream Owners only.

Let’s go back to Caravans. The Caravans could never have gone ten miles with out a sub-structure and delegation of duties. Wally Byam was a master of organization.

The Club core was the volunteers; the go-to-people that assisted in making the Caravans go. This spirit, this dedication, this form of personal involvement was the core of the WBCCI in 1955.

Check out the Jack Rabbits; thank them for your club today. They “hounded” Wally to form a club.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/early-wbcci/jack-rabbits.html

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, was given the task, by Wally, to start a headquarters to be the home of the Club, and the action center for Caravans. Three major Caravans came from the Headquarters in the early days. (Europe 1956, Africa 1959, Around-the-World 1963.)

Because of the dedication of the members and the organizational and interpersonal skills of Helen, the Club grew, and grew, and grew…what a growth!

Yes, Airstream funded the Headquarters. Yes, it was a marketing tool. However both entities this symbiotic relationship endorsed the purpose, ‘TO HAVE FUN.”

My pride swells every time I pass an Airstream on the highway, or see one on TV.

Remember, have fun, that’s what this is all about.

That’s all Wally wanted for you, and that is all my Mother wanted for you.

“TO HAVE FUN!”

See you on the road.

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn

Footnote:

I was a family member before there was Caravan.

I traveled on the !st Caravan.

I went on a total of five Caravans. (1951 Mexico, Central America; 1955 Eastern Canada, 1956 Europe, 1957 Eastern Canada, and 1959 Africa, the Holy Land, and Europe)

I scouted two Cavavans 1959 Africa, and 1961 Eastern Canadian Caravan.

I worked at the California Airstream Plant from 1964 to 1969.

I have been to five International Rally’s.

I am former owner of Wally’s gold trailer.

I am a Charter Member of the WBCCI.

This is being told to you not that I am extraordinary, I’m just a fortunate person to have been part of this history.

When I say “TO HAVE FUN”, I mean it and I know that’s what it is all about.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
Shame on you Gunny

Don't you know that one should choose one's friends by the type RV he has? Ignore all other factors like character, moral fibers,honesty and others. If someone is a member of WBCCI he must fit the bill. This comes to you from someone who owns and loves his AS and has for 17 years. Was a member of "That Club" for five years and got sick and tired on the SOB BS.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #112
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The WBCCI region where I live contacted us about membership after we bought our AS.

Tom