Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Gunny,

At the risk of pissing off
Quote:
a real mean retired killer
I am very puzzled about the circumstances of the incident you described,

Quote:
I also don't like being awaken at 2 AM too be told too "Get your Non-Airstream off our property"

Here's what I do know about the situation:

1. The Airstream Terraport at Jackson Center is the customer camping area at the Airstream factory and factory service center. It is owned by Airstream, Inc., which is not the same thing at all as the WBCCI.

2. Having visited the Airstream factory several times for the factory-sponsored Homecoming Rallies (which were NOT WBCCI events) and also for factory service, I have found the Airstream folks to be as friendly as can be. I can scarcely imagine them rousting someone out of their campground at 2 ayem. Who, exactly, did that? Unless WBCCI was having a rally at Airstream (which is possible, but I've never heard of one), it wasn't anyone associated with WBCCI--it's not their campground.

3. If I remember correctly use of the Terraport is free if you are having service done at the Airstream factory service center and some nominal fee if you are just passing through. Were you registered at the campground?

Such an incident is inexcusable but I can't figure out how WBCCI had anything to do with it.

Cheers,
Nuvi

Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #72
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I was hangin' out with some fellow streamers over the weekend and I think one of them said it best, it's the same story, over and over and over again.

If one does a search on WBCCI, there are far too many threads already on the subject with folks on both sides of the conversation.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #73
_

. , .
lipets...

you started this thread asking about retention and recovery of members...

and are critical of those not staying on topic.

yet it seems your owns post have nothing to do with the topic for the most part.

pam has given you a great answer in post #60.

her general results are pretty accurate. so do it locally.

the home office isn't interested in marketing to this lost group. they don't even keep the contact info.

seems you are wildly enthusiastic about the wb now and your unit...

GREAT! enjoy and go camping. recruit to your hearts content...

but you could not be more wrong about the ease of 'starting new' versus working from within...

the 4cu is EXACTLY an example as is the heart of texas unit...

that starting over is often much much easier and quicker than working within an existing unit....

that'a true of new units and it is true of a new club.

i agree with stef, the lifetime members like it as is...let 'em be. we can do other things.

the wbcci NEEDS to shrink big time.

i live in region 8. look at the wbcci region map....

WBCCI.org

the entire region only has 5 camping events planned for the year....

regions 5, 6, 7 aren't any more active...

that's a total of 10-14 STATES with barely a pulse.

region 9 is active because of the texas units.

so in reality the entire middle america wb needs an 'extreme makeover'

fewer regions, fewer units, more cyber connection and pooled talent for some great local and region camping events.

they do not need fleets of officers annually, units that survive for the sunday buffet, and dues that don't buy much.

there are enough forum members here from iowa/mo/ks/ar/ok/ill that we could likely form a new unit along the lines of 4cu...

BUT WHY?

we can still plan rallies, connect, watch kids grow, exchange repair ideas and so on...

right here.

what compelling reason is there to codify that formally and submit it for wb approval?

none.

sorry ken but i don't agree on the insurance issue...

for new retired caravanners, folks near great active units, or those using the land-locked harbors membership adds value....

that doesn't decribe most a/s buyers, most folks here or most rv'ers anywhere.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #74
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

pam has given you a great answer in post #60.
Yes that was a great post

Quote:

seems you are wildly enthusiastic about the wb now and your unit...

GREAT! enjoy and go camping. recruit to your hearts content...
I intend to but also the forums rally's

Quote:
the wbcci NEEDS to shrink big time.
nice comment

Quote:
i live in region 8. look at the wbcci region map....

the entire region only has 5 camping events planned for the year....

regions 5, 6, 7 aren't any more active...

that's a total of 10-14 STATES with barely a pulse.

region 9 is active because of the texas units.
not really a quick count
1=3
2=24
3=14
4=20
5=14
6=9
7=7

8=5
9=5
10=14
11=16
12=10

how many events does one need to choose from.

How many rally's and how many attendies at the Air Forums Rally's have there been.

Quote:
they do not need fleets of officers annually, units that survive for the sunday buffet, and dues that don't buy much.
If you went to just one that would be a bargain IMO

Quote:
there are enough forum members here from iowa/mo/ks/ar/ok/ill that we could likely form a new unit along the lines of 4cu...

BUT WHY?

we can still plan rallies, connect, watch kids grow, exchange repair ideas and so on...
Easier said than done!

seems you are wildly enthusiastic about killing wb now and your unit...

GREAT! enjoy and go camping.

See you at the '08 Can Opener

Old 07-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
New and mature

To capture new members, there is a social component to the technique beyond the common interest in AS and camping.

To have a successful experience when joining is much easier to do when joining a new unit (ie 4CU) than when an individual joins a mature on going unit. The social dynamic is totally different. In the former, everyone is new at the same time and most everyone makes an effort to meet & greet the fellow new folks. Good example, the initial 4CU rally in Feb at Cottonwood, Az. The expressions about the rally that didn't want to end etc etc. Same thing when you buy a new house in a new neighborhood compared to a 30 yr old neighborhood. Same thing when the company creates a whole new unit in another town, a new church in a new neighborhood. The social dynamic is all the same in these examples.

Now, a single individual joining an ongoing mature organization of any type or size. Much harder. To be successful, both the new person and the existing group of people need to utilize specific joining and receiving skills. It doesn't happen automatically.

This explains in part some of the perceived differences between Forums (new) and WBCCI (50 yrs organization). Between the 4CU (new) and an old mature unit.

It harder to join mature organizations vs startups.

The message for Bob who started this thread, keep this dynamic in mind. Successful organizations do and they have specific training to make sure all are aware and on the same page with this. Not just the membership chairman.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
Old 07-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #76
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up

Good stuff, that's a very significant component.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #77
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wbcci

Nuvi
I was a sniper in the Marines for 22 yrs and lawenforcement sniper for 8 yrs.
I was parked in space #1 of the tera-port by a man in a blk&wht Cooper at 6pm.
At midnight 3 motorhomes pulled in next too me.
At 2 AM they came too my door and demanded that I get off there property.
Me, Nana & Smith&Wesson told them were too go.
At 7 Am I went too check-in desk and was told that I was on Airstream Property. As I was there for service and homecomming it was free.
I ask who owned the Cooper and found it was Dickey (CEO of Airstream)
I then went too the motorhomes and the had signs in ther windows that said "President of WBCCI, Vice President WBCCI & Tresurior of WBCCI.
At 9 Am I was invited too Dickey's office. They didn't like Smith&Wesson but appoved when I pulled the badge. They agreed I could stay and moved the motorhomes.
Everyday they filed complaints, like my dog was jumping on the food service table. Dickey had people watching out for me and got a big laugh out of that one.
One night 4 of use were sitting outside my Non-Airstream and I turned on my neon. It could have been an A-Bomb the way I was atacked.
If you go back to some of my old post, my Non-Airstream is pictured at Homecomming 2005 is my Avitar.

Don
Old 07-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Wrong target in your crosshairs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
WBCCI Rallie Vs Forum Rallies:

I also don't like being awaken at 2 AM too be told too "Get your Non-Airstream off our property" (73 Argosy at the terra-port in Jacksoncenter) This has neve happened at a forum rallie and never will. -- Don
Hi Don:

For the benefit of readers who may not know this, the Terraport in Jackson Center, Ohio is owned and controlled soley by Airstream, Inc., the manufacturer of our trailers. It is where many people park their trailer when having service work done, or where Airstreamers may park overnight for a small fee paid to Airstream, Inc. if there is space available. The Terraport is not WBCCI property and is not controlled or operated in any way by the WBCCI. I have never heard of the WBCCI having any rally at the Terraport. So whoever asked you to leave that property at 2:00 a.m. was acting on behalf of Airstreram, Inc., not the WBCCI. You attended the 2005 Homecoming Rally at JC sponsored by Airstream, Inc., and should realize that on this particular complaint you have the wrong target in your cross hairs.

ON EDIT: Don, I posted the above before I read you message that you posted while I was still typing. Sounds like the motorhome folks were acting on their own behalf, not on Airstream's behalf. All this occurred at an Airstream, Inc. sponsored Homecoming Rally and not a WBCCI rally. Nevertheless, I cannot excuse or defend their behavior if your report of it is true and correct. Thanks for clarifying the situation.

Best regards,
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 07-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #79
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wbcci

No I was parked by Dickey (CEO Airstream) and was there for service & homecomming.
Moved too field when service was completed.
The sign in there motorhome said "President of WBCCI" and that is what they called themself the whole time I was at Homecomming.
Call Dickey at Thor headquarters NY.
As a retired sniper, I keep my cross hairs on the right target.
I have no problem with WBCCI membership for those who want it. I'm just tired of being told that I should join and change it. Changing WBCCI is like pushing s- - - up hill.

Don
Old 07-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #80
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Don-

Just to keep your curcumstance clear to other readers, you were at JC with your Argosy if I remember correctly.

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #81

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm missing something also. Is an Argosy not an Airstream?
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
Old 07-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #82
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
I'm missing something also. Is an Argosy not an Airstream?
There was a time not that long ago when WBCCI did not allow Argosy into the club because they are not Airstreams. They were built at a seperate plant and tagged ARGOSY. Also need to remember that when the Class "A" MOHO built by Airstream first came out they were not allowed to join the WBCCI either. My how things change!

Now that we are past the political mess of International '07 we can all focus on making OUR club better for everyone and do what IBT hasn't or couldn't; invite all AS owners to a unit rally as a guest to show them how much fun we have at local unit rallies. That's how we can start to grow OUR club.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 07-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #83
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wbcci

Yes I was in my Non-Airstream Argosy Classic. Me and Rich were the only people in the world that didn't know that they are Not Airstream.
They gave Rick trouble until they found out who he is.
Then the Kissing Up began!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember "You can't do that too an Airstream" apply's too Non-Airstream.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #84
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Well, Gunny, the good thing is now they know who they can mess with and who they can't. Not too many places you can go these days when the President of the Company serves you hamburgers! Glad you are back on the road Don! Sandi and I hope you are doing well and keep in touch. And if you ever want a set of those RED NUMBERS let me know!

Rick

PS: We missed you at the wedding!

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Closed Thread